The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #801
Fudgie
Banned User

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

That's an aces interview.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #802
kvz5
HBIC

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Uh... this is probably the most amazing/hilarious thing ever.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #803
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I was just watching Men in Black 1 again not too long ago, and I realized that there were some things in that film that I wouldn't have minded seeing being translated into this film given on how both that film and TDKR dealt with a veteran passing down his duties to a younger generation.

Personally, I think it would have bee nice to see for example, things like showing on how John Blake's cop was as mobile and good in basic hand-to-hand combat on the streets as a cop like how they did with Will Smith's character at the beginning of MIB, showing his willingness and determination while also demonstrating that he has potential if he were to be taught professionally and if he were to hone his skills. All of this could have gone noticed by Bruce at some point.

Also, if the film had time, it would have been good to show a scene that dealt with Blake being pushed into the same abyss that Harvey was sent to, only for Blake to demonstrate that unlike Harvey, he was able to overcome it and not lose faith, therefore further showing Bruce that he wouldn't have another Two-Face scenario on his hands if Blake were to come across the same emotional turmoil as Gotham's new protector in the future.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #804
kvz5
HBIC

You know what I wanted so desperately to see? Bruce talking to his parents at their grave. Like maybe after he got back from Gotham and before showing himself to Selina.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #805
TheDarkKnight08
genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
You know what I wanted so desperately to see? Bruce talking to his parents at their grave. Like maybe after he got back from Gotham and before showing himself to Selina.
I completely agree. It's such an iconic image in Batman lore, I'm a little disheartened Nolan didn't include it.

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.
TheDarkKnight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #806
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
That's pretty much my only complaint, or scene that I wanted from Nolan that he didn't deliver. What makes it worse is seeing those set pictures of Bruce's parents graves/graveside by the manor. I totally thought we were going to get it, but it was of course setup for Bruce's "funeral" at the end of the film.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #807
kvz5
HBIC

It had so much potential too. Just imagine the scene with some great lines from the Nolans, Bale as Bruce acting his ass off and Zimmer's score. Maybe even some rain MOTP style. Ugh.

I can see why it didn't happen in TDK since the manor is still being rebuilt but there really wasn't a reason not to have that scene in TDKR. The set pieces are all there and there's a place for it in the story.

Last edited by kvz5; 12-18-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #808
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

I like to think that it happened in the time between TDK and Rises. Would have been very cool to see it, just for keeping us fans happy.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #809
kvz5
HBIC

My head canon is he visited his parents' grave after he came back from the pit. He most likely went back to the manor anyway before seeing Selina since he had to get the clean slate.

Last edited by kvz5; 12-18-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #810
TheDarkKnight08
genius

To be completely honest, though, it was kinda shocking that the first time we ever see their graves in this film was right next to Bruce's. It was strong, and it was at that moment that I honestly believed that Nolan went ahead and killed Bruce Wayne.

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.
TheDarkKnight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #811
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

The thing that I've always found a bit strange is how no one seems to bring up at times that despite Bruce's playboy/reclusive persona and traits, no one ever really brings up the fact that this is a guy who saw his parents murdered right in front of him. I mean you'd think that it'd be common knowledge for most people and that it would be talked about among some characters when talking about his personality.

Heck, I would have liked to have wondered on what someone like Harvey and Selina would think of Bruce as when knowing that this is also a guy that, despite the persona he gives off to the public, he did experience a terrible tragedy of his own so he's not just some spoiled rich dude.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #812
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

After re-watching the trilogy today, without a doubt in my mind, Bruce Wayne's character arc is one of the single greatest main character arc's in film history.

CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #813
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

I don't know if I'm making sense but I love how we saw more and more of cowless Bruce with each movie. In BB, it was just his back. In TDK, he was just seating and the angle is more on his side. In TDKR, he was moving around.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #814
JackWhite
Third Man

Cowless Bruce was pretty awesome, especially in TDKR.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #815
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

"Cowless" took me aback for a minute. "What, Bruce is missing a cow?"

Maybe it should be cowl-less.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #816
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Quote:
Uh... this is probably the most amazing/hilarious thing ever.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

TDK elbowstrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #817
Polaris23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I was just watching Men in Black 1 again not too long ago, and I realized that there were some things in that film that I wouldn't have minded seeing being translated into this film given on how both that film and TDKR dealt with a veteran passing down his duties to a younger generation.

Personally, I think it would have bee nice to see for example, things like showing on how John Blake's cop was as mobile and good in basic hand-to-hand combat on the streets as a cop like how they did with Will Smith's character at the beginning of MIB, showing his willingness and determination while also demonstrating that he has potential if he were to be taught professionally and if he were to hone his skills. All of this could have gone noticed by Bruce at some point.

Also, if the film had time, it would have been good to show a scene that dealt with Blake being pushed into the same abyss that Harvey was sent to, only for Blake to demonstrate that unlike Harvey, he was able to overcome it and not lose faith, therefore further showing Bruce that he wouldn't have another Two-Face scenario on his hands if Blake were to come across the same emotional turmoil as Gotham's new protector in the future.
No thanks, there's too much John Blake in this film as it is.

Quote:
You and me, both!! I'm sure we would've all wet our pants if we saw that. You would think Goyer the comic geek would've suggested it.

Check it out:
www.PolarisCastillo.com
&
www.facebook.com/makeLovetomeinSpace
Polaris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #818
TheDarKnight720
A Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by capedcrusader14 View Post
after re-watching the trilogy today, without a doubt in my mind, bruce wayne's character arc is one of the single greatest main character arc's in film history.
^this

TheDarKnight720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #819
kvz5
HBIC

I guess at one point, they toyed with the idea to show the brace when he's Batman... I'm glad it didn't happen. That's one way to tell the police where to aim.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #820
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I guess at one point, they toyed with the idea to show the brace when he's Batman... I'm glad it didn't happen. That's one way to tell the police where to aim.

I don't think it would have mattered since they would have probably tried hitting batman with their guns instead of just shooting him with it.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #821
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I don't think it would have mattered since they would have probably tried hitting batman with their guns instead of just shooting him with it.
Good point.

The different ideas for the EMP gun:

And... costume sketch of hermit Bruce.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #822
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Something for the next reboot, along with the Riddler, the Penguin, Mr. Freeze, etc. (the Burton/Schumacher films never had such a scene either - about the closest to it was Keaton dropping the flowers in the alley; of course there was the one scene in Mask of the Phantasm).

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #823
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

It can be a 'popular' or 'cool' thing to side with the finished article in the movie because that's all we know, but I really do prefer the EMP cannon used in the film. These designs look too 'machine gunny' to me, whereas the film design looks more primary use.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #824
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Good point.

The different ideas for the EMP gun:

And... costume sketch of hermit Bruce.

Ah yes, the EMP Gun, much like Bane...was built to look great, only to be taken out with a sucker shot; Selina with Batpod at Bane and Random Rookie Cop and his small gun.lol

Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #825
kvz5
HBIC

I actually love that whole scene... Younger cop shoots the EMP gun, Bats gives him the BatGlare, younger cop gives an oh-**** "sorry", and then the older cop reprimands the younger cop. It was awesome.