The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #126
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

You know, even though Nolan gave this trilogy a "conclusion", in reality it would be impossible for Bruce Wayne to just move out to France and not be bombarded by the press and asked why he won't return to Gotham City...he's still a celebrity, after all... so any way you look at it, Bruce won't ever be able to truly escape Gotham... so the movie is still open-ended.

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #127
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

I'm not sure how I felt about Batman's voice in this one. It's like Bale heard all the backlash about TDK and dialed it back too far. There was no gravel, no rasp to it anymore. It just sounded like Bruce Wayne talking an octave lower.

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #128
The Guard
Side-Kick

Or just yelling.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #129
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Or just yelling.
I did feel like rolling my eyes when he was yelling "Where's the detonator?!" at Bane.

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #130
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
Yeah, it kinda bothered me, too.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah, he "beats" Bane at the city hall fight, but only by virtue of exploiting Bane's weakness. Fact is, if Bane didn't need the mask, Batman never could have beat him.
What I liked about it is that he uses his brain to beat him. He goes for the mask and when Bane is whailing on him he just lives through it or dodges and keeps going for the mask

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #131
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I've got to say I had a huge grin on my face when
Batman was full on shouting at Bane during the second fight. I always enjoy the primal, angry aspect of the character.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #132
LecheNinyo
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not sure how I felt about Batman's voice in this one. It's like Bale heard all the backlash about TDK and dialed it back too far. There was no gravel, no rasp to it anymore. It just sounded like Bruce Wayne talking an octave lower.
really? i thought it was more or less the same (maybe slightly more hushed) except Batman isn't as talky here as he was in TDK

LecheNinyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #133
The Guard
Side-Kick

The anger...the yelling...it kind of both worked, and was incredibly silly at the same time.

And if I'm right
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #134
kvz5
HBIC

Bale was beyond awesome in this movie. So many great moments. I personally loved the "confrontation" scene with Alfred where he looked like he was about to cry as well as that scene in prison where he was watching the TV. He was heartbreaking in those scenes.

Loved how angry he was too during the fight scenes.

Last edited by kvz5; 07-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.
kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #135
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

I'm in the "more of the same" camp when it comes to the voice.

I literally had the exact same reaction I did when I watched TDK. Some scenes were the perfect balance of growl and talking, some scenes were a bit too growly but not unbearable, and some scenes were just silly.

A few of the lines were just as bad as the worst of what was in TDK ("This city just showed you..."). I didn't mind too much, because I've never had major issues with Bale's bat voice, but it certainly wasn't a huge improvement over TDK.

EDIT.

But I would like to point out that in Batman's first scene, there was something about the way Bale carried himself that SCREAMED an older, more chiseled Batman. It was some of my favorite of his best work in the role, and it brought a huge smile to my face.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #136
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I wonder if he really is hard to get along with or if everyone just thinks that because of his outburst. I mean everyone has a bad day, so I never thought much of it.
I remember reading somewhere that the writers of the Oscars played that Terminator outburst for Hugh Jackman (this was the year he hosted the show) in rehearsals, and they said Hugh looked so sad about it that they couldn't even laugh at it.

They also considered spoofing it in the show, but before they went forward with it, Hugh called Christian Bale first to make sure it was OK with him. Bale said it was fine, but they didn't go ahead with it.

They did a movie together, so I'm guessing they got along well if that that was his reaction to that whole thing.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #137
Bruce Malone
Dazed & Confused

I mentioned this in another thread but anyone agree that bale looks like he was in his best shape since begins for this movie?

The really made him look frail in the early scenes but in those later scenes he looked pretty ripped.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #138
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, it kinda bothered me, too.

Yeah, he "beats" Bane at the city hall fight, but only by virtue of exploiting Bane's weakness. Fact is, if Bane didn't need the mask, Batman never could have beat him.
reminds me of the cartoon, every single time Bane Had Bruce dead to rights, he just snips the venom tube. Fight over go home.

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #139
ALP
In The Mountains

In this series Bruce Wayne is Batman for a grand total of no more than 18 months.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #140
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I mentioned this in another thread but anyone agree that bale looks like he was in his best shape since begins for this movie?

The really made him look frail in the early scenes but in those later scenes he looked pretty ripped.
He did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
In this series Bruce Wayne is Batman for a grand total of no more than 18 months.
I will forever find this depressing.

I also have a problem with
Bruce Wayne dying with the reputation of a playboy turned crazy billionaire who lost his money. Yes, he gave his mansion to the orphans but still...

Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #141
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Bruce Wayne dying with the reputation of a playboy turned crazy billionaire who lost his money. Yes, he gave his mansion to the orphans but still...
Parts of Bruce's ending feel
unresolved to me.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #142
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Parts of Bruce's ending feel
unresolved to me.
Agreed.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #143
Bruce Malone
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
He did.

I will forever find this depressing.

Do you really think the real bruce cares what the rep of the fake "Bruce" is? Not at all. The real bruce's rep is tied into how batman is now seen and i'm sure that's all he cares about.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #144
Conundrum
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Sad but true.

Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #145
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Quote:
The anger...the yelling...it kind of both worked, and was incredibly silly at the same time.
"This isn't a car"

You can't help but mock Batman's line

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #146
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Do you really think the real bruce cares what the rep of the fake "Bruce" is? Not at all. The real bruce's rep is tied into how batman is now seen and i'm sure that's all he cares about.
No one really knew about the rep of the "real Bruce" outside of Gordon, Alfred, Fox, and Blake. I was thinking more of the Wayne Legacy.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #147
kvz5
HBIC

I've always been neutral before on whether I wanted Bruce to live or not during our speculations time but I gotta say that after watching the movie, I'm glad that...

he survived and was with Selina. He's been through so much. And even if he lived, he still lost a lot of things. He's broke, he's not in great health anymore (with the knee thing and who knows what else), etc.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #148
The Guard
Side-Kick

I do feel that the Wayne Legacy was less than satisfyingly resolved.

Would much have preferred to have seen Bruce Wayne help inspire the wealthy and the regular citizens of Gotham, like his parents, to some kind of charitable end. The Wayne Foundation should have been more than an orphanage.

And if I'm right
Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #149
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
I do feel that the Wayne Legacy was less than satisfyingly resolved.

Would much have preferred to have seen Bruce Wayne help inspire the wealthy and the regular citizens of Gotham, like his parents, to some kind of charitable end. The Wayne Foundation should have been more than an orphanage.
Oh yeah definitely. I kinda felt like the last memory of the Waynes were not as good as I had hoped.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #150
ALP
In The Mountains

Bruce could have left his remaining money to charity but instead he gives it to Alfred who will probably spend the rest of it on nose candy and hookers to enjoy his remaining years.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote