Peter Parkerish
White_widows assistant

Default Re: Webbing formula - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopaspider View Post
Thanks MarvelFan!
im glad it doesnt have to spin!
Does anyone know where I can get a spinneret,
Ive looked at home depot and lowes but didnt see any.
Ive got PVA, guar gum, contact cement, and acetone. so I just need cellulose acetate and glycerine
Oh and Im 16 by the way

Buy a washer and put holes into it

Peter Parkerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #328
pllagunos
SPIDER

in wich place I buy it

pllagunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #329
pllagunos
SPIDER

and how I do the holes

Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #330
koopaspider
Side-Kick

I have the same question as pllagunos
Maybe a drill?

koopaspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #331
koopaspider
Side-Kick

oops im supposed to ask questions about the shooter on the web shooter shop class forum, and not here.

koopaspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #332
Peter Parkerish
White_widows assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopaspider View Post
I have the same question as pllagunos
Maybe a drill?
That could work

Peter Parkerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #333
marco18
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolder View Post
I was (and still am) kinda hoping for a response from a veteran like WW, Iron, or wadalt.

As for not releasing the formula, that seems kind of selfish. when you think about it, peter parker was selfish for not telling the world about his super strong adhesive. he didn't have to make millions on it, but he could've told the world so everyone could use it for a variety of less exciting things like construction. What I think really doesn't matter though. The decision of whether to release the formula should be up to those who have been working on it the longest and have contributed the most. I don't mean to discredit your knowledge, but you and I are relatively new to the project. The post count doesn't lie.
Well first of all, peter tried to sell it, but nobody was interested and he was turned down. Maybe WW doesn't want to give it away. For a reason.

marco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #334
nolder
Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco18 View Post
Well first of all, peter tried to sell it, but nobody was interested and he was turned down. Maybe WW doesn't want to give it away. For a reason.
haha that post was so long ago. as many previous posts have told, we shouldn't expect the same results as spider-man, as he is a fictional character. The "webbing" we are making is relatively simple as many of us do not have access to advanced extrusion devices. it'd be hard to keep secret because A) someone (not on these forums) would eventually reverse engineer it and B) someone isn't going to create it out of the blue, this is a collaboration, a team effort. so if someone here does make it and tries to keep it a secret, the rest of us will have a lot to work with based on their previous posts.

but all that being said, we're probably not going to have some kind of miracle webbing that is as strong as the comics.

EDIT: And WW isn't hiding anything. He's contributed the most and everything we have is either his ideas and research or built on his ideas. He wouldn't have anything to gain from hiding it.

Last edited by nolder; 08-17-2012 at 09:23 PM.
nolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #335
clyde
Side-Kick

Hey is there information on how strong per unit cubed the webbing formula is? WW`s website has 3 or 4 formulas but no stats on strength. If someone could provide that info that would be great.

Also do any of these formulas turn into strands as they are released from the shooter? Or does it just splat? there should be a way to grab it like a rope. Synthetic gloves maybe?

clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #336
clyde
Side-Kick

Another question. There are a lot of synthetic nano glues and spiderwebs and whatnot being developed by scientists. Is there anyway to access these products? Or is it possible to develop it without any fancy equipment? If no, then what fancy equipment do they use exactly?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #337
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

You can, but there are a couple problems. I don't think nanoglue can be obtain yet, and if it is obtainable, it will cost alot of money. You would need special connections to get this stuff. And for spiderwebs, second verse is the same as the first. Cost effective, unobtainable, and needs special connections to get. Most of us are going with diy, stuff we can afford.

MarvelFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #338
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

And to your first question, the formula is a rubber, resin, strong material, solvent, and bonding agent. The rubber is for elasticity. The resin is to increase tack, meaning to increase adhesion to other objects. The strong material is for strength. The solvent dissolves it all, keeping the formula a liquid. The bonding agent is only if the other ingredients don't mix well together. The properties of the fluid depends on how much of each ingredient is used. For elastic webbing, add more rubber. If its to sticky, decrease the amount of resin. Want more strength, add more strong material.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #339
clyde
Side-Kick

Thanks for the reply MarvelFan. I'm well aware of the formula but I'm not a pro at chemistry. So is there any stats on anyone's formula (proportions). For example MarvelFan if you stirred up a batch of this before, how strong was the web compared to its thickness. Like if it was able to lift 100 pounds, how thick was the strand? Also a few more questions regarding the formula. Does turn into solid immediately on exit of the shooter? and does it stick well on to surfaces? How strong does it stick to surfaces? All these questions are based on anyone's batch because I want to get an idea of it before making it.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #340
spidey2365
Newbie First Class

That's what I did

spidey2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #341
cbass2272

You all may want to look into PVA ropes, and the properties that PVA exhibits in aqueous Ca solution.

cbass2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #342
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

Being honest, being honest I haven't tested anything yet. I want to make my shooter, then make my fluid. I've theorized a couple fluid ideas, but I haven't tested them, so I really to know how sticky, strong, or thick it is. And the end behavior of the web not only depends on the formula, but the spinneret. If the formula uses a solvent like acetone, add a ton of the solvent so it's really liquidy, make a spinneret with extremely tiny holes, like, safety pin tiny, and use a heated coil to evaporate the solvent. If you want the fibers to wrap around each other and form a thick web line, make with one large hole in the center and several smaller holes around it, and use a motor to spin it.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #343
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

Okay, being honest, we are making this a little bit too difficult. In the ultimate spiderman storyline, he didn't have advanced circuitry, solenoid valve, etc. He could only use stuff he had. Peter made these before his job at the bugle. He had access to the lab his father left him, thing he could afford with his allowance he got from aunt may, stuff he could find in uncle ben's tool box, stuff he could use in his chemistry set, and things he can find around the house.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #344
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Still, we're looking at a comic book. They needed it to be fast-paced, so they couldn't have 20 issues on his entire design, shipping awaiting, and building and schematics of the shooter. They had to get onto the action.
You guys look like you have everything worked out, ye new team. Think you still have room for an old vet like me? Haha

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #345
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

Sure waldaltmon, welcome back!!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #346
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

I just fixed my camera. Prototype will be up tomorrow, if not today.
Bear in mind the "solenoid" is not electrically operated, just a pressure valve for now. Shipping is slow these days.
What are you guys having trouble with right now? I can help.

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #347
pllagunos
SPIDER

ohhh question what resin I can use and were I get it ???
Thanks.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #348
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

A resin is just something makes the formula sticky. It can be pva glue, polyterpene resin, etc. I think someone even used maple syrup.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #349
pllagunos
SPIDER

what you recommend

Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #350
pllagunos
SPIDER

and where I get it