Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Products

Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #551
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Default Re: Webbing formula - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku9600 View Post
what was your youtube channel name
It's wadaltmon, just like my name on here.

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #552
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Here's the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzBIVXiTUd4

Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #553
pllagunos
SPIDER

can you post a video of your formula?

pllagunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #554
pllagunos
SPIDER

also WOOOOW your shooter is awesome I don't know if you coul post a video of your shooter shooting web formula that would be amazing
thanks for the video

pllagunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #555
Gamerbaggins

Did we finish the fluid yet?I have a pretty idea for a design for a shooter.I just need to determine what I should do in the middle and how the entire process will work. If we need help with the fluid I can see if I can help though I am limited when it comes to that.

Gamerbaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #556
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerbaggins View Post
Did we finish the fluid yet?I have a pretty idea for a design for a shooter.I just need to determine what I should do in the middle and how the entire process will work. If we need help with the fluid I can see if I can help though I am limited when it comes to that.
We will never really "finish the fluid", but we haven't gotten a real working formula that's been tested yet. I would like to see some drawings or something? For your shooter idea, I mean. I'm curious to see what it entails. And I made my formulas all out of household materials; it doesn't matter how limited you are, as long as you're willing

Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #557
goku9600
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
It's wadaltmon, just like my name on here.
it says dalton scott

goku9600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #558
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku9600 View Post
it says dalton scott
Oh. Well, that's my name, so... yeah.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #559
Gamerbaggins

Can I like scan the design right on here when I'm finished?

Gamerbaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #560
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

I haven't had any luck putting files from my computer on here and having them show up. Make a new album under photos on realwebtech.webs.com and upload it there, after making an account.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #561
Milesmorales9
Pyromaniac

I was looking at some pictures of spideys web cartridges, and I noticed that they are literally curved plates of metal. They are so thin. My cartridges will probably be the size of a square 9v battery. I know they don't hold much, but I don't really like canisters and large cartridges. As for the shooter, its going to be pretty simple.

Milesmorales9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #562
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesmorales9 View Post
I was looking at some pictures of spideys web cartridges, and I noticed that they are literally curved plates of metal. They are so thin. My cartridges will probably be the size of a square 9v battery. I know they don't hold much, but I don't really like canisters and large cartridges. As for the shooter, its going to be pretty simple.
I agree. I don't like having a large cartridge, but I guess for some it is necessary.
The problem with using a square or other pressure vessel with corners is that the pressure inside will equally distribute and cause it to expand to a cylinder anyway, which may cause it to burst. If I were you, I would just go with a cylindrical one that holds the same amount. There is less chance it will burst and it will probably hold more in about the same amount of space.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #563
Milesmorales9
Pyromaniac

Thanks for the advice. I found something interesting.
Blue-Tack is a fascinating substance that belongs to a group of materials called Bingham Plastics.

Bingham plastics behave strangely in that they behave as a rigid shape at low stress but can flow in the same way as a liquid at high stress. Blue-Tack is a Bingham plastic because it flows and moulds when pressure is applied but sets when you stop moulding it.

No one knows the exact composition of Blue-Tack as its a trade secret, but some of the substances it contains have been revealed.

One of its main components is a very sticky synthetic polymer of secret composition. This is what makes Blue-Tack so sticky. However, the polymer is so sticky, that it would make the stuff unworkable if this was the only substance Blue-Tack contained - you wouldn't be able to remove it from your fingers for a start.

To reduce the stickiness, naturally occuring minerals are added to the polymer along with various natural mineral oils. The interesting thing here is that before the addition of these adulterating substances, Blue-Tack is classified as a very viscous liquid.

Without this filler/oil combination Blue-Tack would flow like an extremely slow moving liquid, making it virtually useless for sticking posters etc on walls and when I say slow, I mean slow - it could take weeks to travel a few inches on a vertical surface.

It is the mineral oil that leaves the residue on your fingers after handling and it is the oil combined with the minerals that would cause the sparking in the microwave oven. It seems that some of these fillers are metallic in origin and the effect you saw is the same as if you placed a piece of metal in the oven and switched the microwave on - not something to be recommended!

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/group/St...ray-Adhesive/5

Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #564
SUP
Side-Kick

WOW, Great Find, that will help me make my web-fluid formula.

SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #565
Milesmorales9
Pyromaniac

Hey, are we still working with the vinylon formula? If so, why don't we do:PVA+ADHESIVE+TACKIFER+WATER(SOLVENT). We can use water as the solvent and crank up the volatage of the heating coil.

Last edited by Milesmorales9; 01-02-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #566
amaroq

im new and im a chem major at Concord university second year. anything i could help with? please email me at Travigen@gmail.com

amaroq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #567
amaroq

let me know the direction of the formula so far and ill help in any way i can.

amaroq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #568
webs_137

i haven't been on here since july. can someone tell me what big breakthroughs have happened (if any) and why white widow is gone?

webs_137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #569
spike13

Why dont you mix the Nylon, Acetate, PVA, and Polychloroprene. That would make a very strong yet elastic webbing i beleive.

spike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #570
spidey44
Side-Kick

Not all of that dissolves in the same solvent.

spidey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #571
spike13

oh sorry i dont know much about chemistry. but im good with machines and i have some blue prints for a web shooter.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #572
spike13

Oh sorry i dont know much about chemistry, but i am good with machines and have some blue prints for a web shooter.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #573
spike13

oops computer malfuntion

Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #574
Derp
New User - Level 0

Hey wadaltmon! I'm new on this forum and I just have seen your post of the web fluid you created:

This stuff looks pretty amazing! It is strong enough to hold a normal person's weight? It is elastic enough to swing? Can you tell me what did you use to make this stuff? I'm creating a webshooter and your formula seems to be the closest thing I have seen of the "spider-man's web"! Trust me, I'm a professional engineer!

I'm waiting for your anwser! Oh, and sorry for my bad english!

Derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #575
Milesmorales9
Pyromaniac

It probably isn't that strong, but its still pretty strong. However, swinging is possible but unlikely and dangerous because...

Practicalities - Why Swinging Is Not Likely
Courtesy of Nolder
Some of you have been wondering about swinging. The problem is that the web has to support the swinger's weight and the centripital force which will be greatest at the bottom of his swing.
1.) Consider that Peter Parker is 100 kg (around 220 lbs). That's pretty heavy but it gives us some some safety room and it makes the calculation a whole lot easier.
2.) Many sources state the Spider-Man can go 80 mph. This seems pretty high considering a lot of roller coasters max out at arround that speed. It's a slow day; Spidey doesn't have anywhere to be for once. So he's just cruisin'. Let's say he's going 45 mph, or about 20 m/s
3.) Let's say his web is 9 or 10 storys long (9 or 10 floors) so its about 30 meters
We use this formula to calculate how much the web would actually have to hold
F = M(V^2)/R
M is the mass, which is 100 kg
V is the velocity, 20m/s
R is the radius (his swings are really a series of half circles) which is 30 meters
F = M(V^2)/R = 100 kg * (20 m/s) ^2 / 30 m = 10^3 N
1000 N or 1000 newtons is 224 pounds. But don't get all excited yet. We still have to add a gravitational force of:
Fg = MG = 10^3 N.
So it's really like his web has to hold 2 x 10^3 N, or 450 pounds. More than twice his weight.
Granted, this is for a 220 pound Peter Parker, but it doesn't take into account other variables AND this is him going at a relatively slow speed.
If,
A) He weighed more
B) He was swinging faster or
C) His web was shorter
The web would have to hold greater force.
Let me make it clear that if you weigh half that he does (110 lbs), that does NOT mean the web will only have to hold half of what we calculated. Velocity, radius, and gravitational force would remain the same reguardless of your weight unless you changed them too.

I'm 10 years old and 66 lbs , but it doesn't seem like I am going to be swinging around anytime soon.