The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Products

Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #101
nolder
Web Slinger

Default Re: Webbing formula - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Phantom View Post
Yes, but alas, the maple syrup didn't work quite right with the retraction of the webbing and the vacuum of the webbing used to retract it caught on fire. : (
I put it out and I already replaced the vacuum part and have reassembled the shooter. Like I said in my previous post, the one prior to my previous post, in fact, my webbing is basically your webbing, all the webbing discussed on this post except with a little bit of twists and turns of my own. I really wish to keep it concealed, not for myself, but because it's kind of dangerous if you use the chemicals I'm using and I really wish I doesn't bother you. I it will make you feel any better, I will have a full tutorial on how to create it in September. I'm so sore if this bothers you. ; (. My web shooter is basically electrospinning and vacuum parts. It can only shoot up to like 30 feet right now. Once again, I'm sorry if you feel this way and to everybody else, I am also very sorry. Please don't think I'm selfish. I want everyone to have one. Please don't let this effect the progress. I am now upset. ; (.
oh no it really really is not you. but I am glad to hear you'll have a tutorial in september. I'm glad you shared that yours is electro-spinning. If you don't mind I have a few questions though.
what is you're propulsion system? co2?

did you make a spinneret? and with what?

what did you use for a pressure vessel?

and finally how big is it? with vacuum parts, I imagine something the size of a football strapped to your arm hahah!

nolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #102
White_widow
technology theorist

To Phantom: Hold the phone, I think I see where you are going with this Phantom. Vaccuum, PVC, retraction, syrup. I think you might be on to something. I wouldn't deal with the epoxy with that thing though. IF i'm not mistaken, the epoxy would straight up fry your system. The viscosity is far too high. If strength is what you are worried about, we just need to get you some fibrous reinforcement. You mind if I shoot you a PM?

To nolder: Maple syrup is technically a tackifier resin. It comes from a tree, being a polymer type sap. The sugar in it allows it to create bonds.

To Sal: I just saw your design today, I just haven't caught up to all the new stuff yet. I'm used to managing a group of three or four people max, not eight. Anyway though, the design is slightly flawed in its execution. Both valves that you created rely on silding horizontally, however there has to be an equal pressure on the other side or you'll be sprayed. you need to look up aerosol valves and investigate the plunger feature. That will create a much tighter seal, and they are actually easier to activate.

White_widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #103
nolder
Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_widow View Post
To Phantom: Hold the phone, I think I see where you are going with this Phantom. Vaccuum, PVC, retraction, syrup. I think you might be on to something. I wouldn't deal with the epoxy with that thing though. IF i'm not mistaken, the epoxy would straight up fry your system. The viscosity is far too high. If strength is what you are worried about, we just need to get you some fibrous reinforcement. You mind if I shoot you a PM?

To nolder: Maple syrup is technically a tackifier resin. It comes from a tree, being a polymer type sap. The sugar in it allows it to create bonds.

To Sal: I just saw your design today, I just haven't caught up to all the new stuff yet. I'm used to managing a group of three or four people max, not eight. Anyway though, the design is slightly flawed in its execution. Both valves that you created rely on silding horizontally, however there has to be an equal pressure on the other side or you'll be sprayed. you need to look up aerosol valves and investigate the plunger feature. That will create a much tighter seal, and they are actually easier to activate.
Ahh I see. interesting.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #104
White_widow
technology theorist

Ok, I finally got the answer I was looking for. The strongest water soluble fiber is as strong or three times stronger than cotton. PVA has about the same tensile strength as cellulose acetate in film form. I'm not sure in fiber form how different they are.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #105
MSaleem
Chemically Enhanced

Iron Spider and White Widow, I read both web sites and found good information. Thanks for the help in helping me understand what I need to know.

Remember the two videos I posted last night? The ones that show how to make a push button trigger? Why not that? I think Nolder said that the PVC would dissolve in the acetate, well lets cover the inside with duct tape or use a copper/metal flexible tubing. As a pressure vessel, lets use CO2. The cartridge would be right infront so when the CO2 is released, it goes through the fluid, and out the nozzle.

WW - What is the water soluble fiber your talking about?

oops sorry wrong thread

Last edited by MSaleem; 07-11-2012 at 04:19 PM.
MSaleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #106
Spider-Phantom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolder View Post
oh no it really really is not you. but I am glad to hear you'll have a tutorial in september. I'm glad you shared that yours is electro-spinning. If you don't mind I have a few questions though.
what is you're propulsion system? co2?

did you make a spinneret? and with what?

what did you use for a pressure vessel?

and finally how big is it? with vacuum parts, I imagine something the size of a football strapped to your arm hahah!
1. Yes, CO2. It's strong and it shoots the web far. But I can't seem to make it go straight so I am working on that. : D!!!

2. Yes, I have created a spinneret but I want to keep it concealed for now. I will explain how it works somewhere in October.

3. I used a CO2 pressure vessel because it is small, (about the size of your thumb), and it fits nicely into my web shooter.

4. Yes, the vacuum annoys me so. It is loud. There is a small motor which activates a fan. When air particles are driven forward, the density of particles (and therefore the air pressure) increases in front of the fan and decreases behind the fan. This creates a suction. This suction is very slow. It takes around 30-50 seconds for it to retract.

Now, I am sorry to say. I am taking a break because I've been working on this for around five-six months. You won't see me much on the message board but I will come and see how everything is going. The tutorial date has changed to somewhere in October or November. I am deeply sorry. ; (!!! But if you all can come up with a better retracting system which isn't so noisy and bulky. Please don't hesitate to speak up. I will speak and discuss again somewhere in August. I enjoyed our short time together. I will still post pictures so stay "tuned" for that. : D!!!!!!!!!

Spider-Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #107
jamisicus6
Newbie First Class

So essentially we're pressurising a solution that contains a tackifier and a plastic? Sounds like a good place to start to me. Has anyone tried any of the suggested solutions yet? If so, what did you find?

Last edited by jamisicus6; 07-11-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: New idea and had to move the old one to the other thread
jamisicus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #108
Black_Widow
Side-Kick

Hello. I am new to this whole thing.

Black_Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #109
White_widow
technology theorist

Welcome Black widow.

To spider phantom: When I come back from my mission, I'm looking forward to seeing your contribution.

To Sal: PVA

To Jam: and don't forget the rubber.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #110
nolder
Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Phantom View Post
1. Yes, CO2. It's strong and it shoots the web far. But I can't seem to make it go straight so I am working on that. : D!!!

2. Yes, I have created a spinneret but I want to keep it concealed for now. I will explain how it works somewhere in October.

3. I used a CO2 pressure vessel because it is small, (about the size of your thumb), and it fits nicely into my web shooter.

4. Yes, the vacuum annoys me so. It is loud. There is a small motor which activates a fan. When air particles are driven forward, the density of particles (and therefore the air pressure) increases in front of the fan and decreases behind the fan. This creates a suction. This suction is very slow. It takes around 30-50 seconds for it to retract.

Now, I am sorry to say. I am taking a break because I've been working on this for around five-six months. You won't see me much on the message board but I will come and see how everything is going. The tutorial date has changed to somewhere in October or November. I am deeply sorry. ; (!!! But if you all can come up with a better retracting system which isn't so noisy and bulky. Please don't hesitate to speak up. I will speak and discuss again somewhere in August. I enjoyed our short time together. I will still post pictures so stay "tuned" for that. : D!!!!!!!!!
It's not a goodbye! It's a see ya later!

And Welcome Black Widow

I made a post under new ideas explaining in terms of physics why swinging isn't likely. hope you guys find it insightful.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #111
MSaleem
Chemically Enhanced

Welcome Black_Widow!!!

and goodbye for a little while White_Widow

Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #112
Black_Widow
Side-Kick

Now what?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #113
spidey44
Side-Kick

What do you mean?

spidey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #114
MSaleem
Chemically Enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey44 View Post
What do you mean?
We have a pretty good formula, we just need to test it.

Cellulose Acetate
Polyvinyl Alcohol
Contact Cement
Neoprene with strength of at least 50MPa

All dissolved and mixed in Acetone + Water

Shoot it outta the web shooter.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #115
Black_Widow
Side-Kick

Great. Now we just got to finish the web shooter and test?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #116
MSaleem
Chemically Enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Widow View Post
Great. Now we just got to finish the web shooter and test?
Well, as I said the formula may or may not be perfect, so yah we test and build the shooter

Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #117
nolder
Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSaleem View Post
Welcome Black_Widow!!!

and goodbye for a little while White_Widow
white widow isn't going any where until august I believe. Phantom is the one thats going I think

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #118
lactic

Dry Re: Webbing formula - Part 1

I wish I could try these formulas but I don't have enough chemistry and resource

Hope you well - knowledged people find it cause I can't even think

lactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #119
MSaleem
Chemically Enhanced

Oh White_Widow did leave? Then how come he isnt posting

Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #120
White_widow
technology theorist

I went to work? I leave august 7th.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #121
White_widow
technology theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSaleem View Post
We have a pretty good formula, we just need to test it.

Cellulose Acetate
Polyvinyl Alcohol
Contact Cement
Neoprene with strength of at least 50MPa

All dissolved and mixed in Acetone + Water

Shoot it outta the web shooter.
Well contact cement and neoprene are the same thing, but you got it!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #122
Spider-Phantom
Side-Kick

I just came to check on everyone. Any progress. I'm going to England tommorow so you won't here from me for a month starting tommorow. I,m here for now...

Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #123
Spider-Phantom
Side-Kick

So, no progress?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #124
MSaleem
Chemically Enhanced

Ok WW Phantom, and everyone else. Can you guys help me answer questions about my design?

On the screw part of the couplet/coupler, I am gonna screw in the CO2 Cartridge, but there is a cap on it. So if i screw in how would i puncture it so there is a way to let the air out?

I do not understand how to build a cartridge. I looked at it on WW website, but I didn't get it. I though of getting an Altoids mint can, put the fluid in, and Seal it up with duct tape. Drill hole into opposite sides, and put tubing with couplets. But that would take a while to "reload" and the fluid can leak when exchanging. Moving the extra cartridges around would make the fluid leak through the hole.

Is using a hollow needle good as the nozzle? What gauge?

The heated coil link does not tell me how to get a heat source. So im stuck

Spider Phantom, any major results? Too sticky? Gets hard too fast?

I would be SO happy if anyone answered these

Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #125
Bdude101
Side-Kick

Welcome Black Widow, hope you can help, and see you soon Spider-Phantom. Guys, please try to keep the webbing posts on the webbing page, and the webshooter posts on the webshooter page, here is the link:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...385775&page=23
This goes directly to the last page. Thank you all.

Bdude101 is offline   Reply With Quote