Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
And that's their opinion as well, but don't try to pass your alleged opinion as fact, because it's not. Had Watchmen been this disgraced CBM, it would have never amassed a cult following, and spawned prequels.

The film had ****ty marketing.

I'm not defending Sucker Punch here, obviously. I'm disputing your comments regarding Watchmen.
Plenty of bad films have cult followings. It also don't understand blaming the marketing when it opened well and dropped off dramatically. That is a more word of mouth thing then anything else. And I don't understand how you can claim I passed anything off as fact. If anything, you came off as defensive for no reason.

And a director's whole track record matters. I actually like 300, and find that Snyder caught lighting in a bottle and even that wasn't a very good film, a hollow, but pretty good time. His follow ups seem to indicate this as he tries to warp material to his style and the results have not been promising.

I don't like the idea that this film about a thoughtful Man of Steel is being directed by a guy whose film lack life and vigor beyond the surface.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
By 'several' you mean "300" and "Dawn of the Dead"...
You might as well add Watchmen to that list. While the film underwhelmed at the box office, the DVD and merchandise sales were good enough to warrant the film a success in WB's eyes.

WB wouldnt be seeking for more Watchmen films had Snyder's film failed.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Plenty of films I don't like have cult followings.
Fixed that for ya.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I've never been a fan of Snyder at all and could easily believe he'd drop the ball on this movie, but still, it seems way too soon for "I knew it" posts. It's a rumor from one guy about an early cut of the film. Hardly an iceberg right ahead.
Not a "I knew it" guy, but what I am saying is a could very well believe it if the studio is worried.

Also, many like to play these things off as rumor and complete myth. I honestly can't think of many times when a film was truly successful from a creative point of view that had this stuff come out every so often.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Fixed that for ya.
You do realize that works both ways right?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

This is hilarious, webmasters really have to think before posting on twitter because people pick it up as news.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
You do realize that works both ways right?
Yep. Which is why I speak for myself and don't say "plenty of people like bad movies."

Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

I never really posted it as news, I simply put the twitter update, like another little thing/rumor to keep us talking about the movie (and arguing about directors )

Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #34
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Yep. Which is why I speak for myself and don't say "plenty of people like bad movies."
When did I write that?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Plenty of bad films have cult followings. It also don't understand blaming the marketing when it opened well and dropped off dramatically. That is a more word of mouth thing then anything else. And I don't understand how you can claim I passed anything off as fact. If anything, you came off as defensive for no reason.
And so do many great ones such as Blade Runner, Fight Club and The Thing. Point?

You can't blame the film's failures purely on WOM if there was never an audience interested in seeing Watchmen in the first place. The fact is WB's marketing department let down the film. I mean, for the love of god the media blitz for Watchmen never materialized. The most polarizing interviews for the film were in the final week. The same goes for the tv spots. WB only started to air numerous spots for the film during the final stretch of the marketing (not even a week).

You made a statement saying that Snyder failed to pull off Watchmen. That is an opinion, not fact.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #36
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

This is feeling like a Twilight Zone ep.

We haven't seen any footage which makes anything about the movie seem more easily acceptable. We're caught in a vacuum so no matter what any info will seem possible even if we still have a year to fix it and most superhero movies have reshoots.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #37
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I don't think that Nolan has time right now to look at the editing of MOS, Nolan must be quite busy before TDKR is released, shooting interviews to television channels and magazines, preparing to go to movie premieres around the world and such things.

Even if there is some problem, it is a good thing that we are hearing about it 11 months before the movie gets released rather than a month before that happens.

There is still plenty of time to reedit/ reshoot and make minor script changes, whatever needs to be done.

*\S/T*
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
And so do many great ones such as Blade Runner, Fight Club and The Thing. Point?

You can't blame the film's failures purely on WOM if there was never an audience interested in seeing Watchmen in the first place. The fact is WB's marketing department let down the film. I mean, for the love of god the media blitz for Watchmen never materialized. The most polarizing interviews for the film were in the final week. The same goes for the tv spots. WB only started to air numerous spots for the film during the final stretch of the marketing (not even a week).

You made a statement saying that Snyder failed to pull off Watchmen. That is an opinion, not fact.
Which means you can't use it as a basis for the film being good. There are good cult films and bad cult films. It has zero to do with the quality of a film. Cult following does not equal good film. That is more then fair.

And I don't understand how that argument can be made when plenty of people went to see it opening weekend. The numbers show it.

And yes that is an opinion. My opinion that I wrote. You are the one having a problem with my opinion apparently. So who exactly is at fault there?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #39
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I don't think that Nolan has time right now to look at the editing of MOS, Nolan must be quite busy before TDKR is released, shooting interviews to television channels and magazines, preparing to go to movie premieres around the world and such things.

Even if there is some problem, it is a good thing that we are hearing about it 11 months before the movie gets released rather than a month before that happens.

There is still plenty of time to reedit/ reshoot and make minor script changes, whatever needs to be done.
Exactly, lots of time to fix it if there is problem. I guess the rumour is now that Nolan is done with WB as well, so there are bound to be "sources" saying its all doom and gloom.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #40
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Lmao. People using baseless conjecture to spell doom and gloom. Another day at the hype.
A, now, deleted tweet based on 'rumblings'. The author has since backtracked on his tweet too.

Remember that deleted tweet from the critic that said TDKR's ending 'sounded' horrendous? I don't.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
Rockstar
Banned User

Quote:
You might as well add Watchmen to that list. While the film underwhelmed at the box office, the DVD and merchandise sales were good enough to warrant the film a success in WB's eyes.

WB wouldnt be seeking for more Watchmen films had Snyder's film failed.

More Watchmen films?

Do you have a source for this?

I wasn't aware of any internal movements at WB for more Watchmen movies.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #42
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
I'll believe It when there is some concrete proof of this. Also, WB must be somewhat happy if they are gonna have a presentation at CC and start promoting it, they wouldn't have let Snyder continue on during filming if they didn't feel he was on the write path and liked what the were monitoring.
It's not a sign that a film is good or bad if they are having a presentation at Comic Con. Green Hornet was at Comic Con. Cased closed.

Also, they aren't going to drop Snyder mid way through filming, that does happen, but rare.

I wouldn't be worry about a Tweet. It doesn't mean anything. I find this hard to believe since Nolan and WB were all over the movie.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #43
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
It's not a sign that a film is good or bad if they are having a presentation at Comic Con. Green Hornet was at Comic Con. Cased closed.

Also, they aren't going to drop Snyder mid way through filming, that does happen, but rare.

I wouldn't be worry about a Tweet. It doesn't mean anything. I find this hard to believe since Nolan and WB were all over the movie.
See Mr. Donner himself.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #44
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
Exactly, lots of time to fix it if there is problem. I guess the rumour is now that Nolan is done with WB as well, so there are bound to be "sources" saying its all doom and gloom.
Nolan is a professional who would not let some issues to ruin his long association he has with WB, he made the Bat trilogy and Inception for the Studios.

I am sure that execs value his opinions and if he thinks that he is not the right person for DC comics movies then it should be no problem for WB.

The sources are always trying to make it out of proportion, remember the rumor before TASM came out saying that Sony execs. were not happy with Marc Webb's TASM movie ?

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 07-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #45
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I believe the issues Nolan has is with Jeff Robinov himself, that is the buzz at least, that is going to be hard to get over.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #46
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
Is he actually done with WB or just done with the Batman franchise? I have a feeling WB is going to want to keep him around to fund every and any film he wants.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #47
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Which means you can't use it as a basis for the film being good. There are good cult films and bad cult films. It has zero to do with the quality of a film. Cult following does not equal good film. That is more then fair.
You're right, it's based on opinion and preference.

Quote:
And I don't understand how that argument can be made when plenty of people went to see it opening weekend. The numbers show it.
55 million on OW was not massive or a large number for a film that was projected to have an 80 million opening.

Quote:
And yes that is an opinion. My opinion that I wrote. You are the one having a problem with my opinion apparently. So who exactly is at fault there?
Then make it clear that it's your opinion. You tend to write statements or analysis, and pass them off as the 'truth' (most recently with Prometheus). It makes you sound like a snob.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #48
Rockstar
Banned User

Quote:
I believe the issues Nolan has is with Jeff Robinov himself, that is the buzz at least, that is going to be hard to get over.
I don't like that.....at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Is he actually done with WB or just done with the Batman franchise? I have a feeling WB is going to want to keep him around to fund every and any film he wants.
I'm pretty sure at this point Nolan could get massive offers from any studio. He has more than proven himself and he's on the map now.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #49
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I don't like that.....at all.
If WB doesn't give him the keys to the city over there, I can't imagine him hanging around. My personal opinion is he wants to make his movies and have his own spot on their lot like Clint Eastwood. They should give him anything he wants, I think they want him to still work with their comic properties and he doesn't want that.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #50
Rockstar
Banned User

Quote:
If WB doesn't give him the keys to the city over there, I can't imagine him hanging around. My personal opinion is he wants to make his movies and have his own spot on their lot like Clint Eastwood. They should give him anything he wants, I think they want him to still work with their comic properties and he doesn't want that.

Based on Nolan's tone and word choice in his most recent interview, I'm in complete agreement with that.

Something went south internally between him and Warners. Robinov seems to want one thing, and Nolan another.

Usually that ends with the two parties spliting ways.

I agree that WB needs to do everything they can to keep Nolan, but at the same time... I really think they want to cash-in on the Avengers hype train.

Closed Thread