Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #251
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Ultimate Spider-Man is a success and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.
Pretty sure marvel has even said the toon was a mistake .were getting two seasons though because Disney xd bought and ordered two seasons right off the bat . It's also gotten an abundance of criticism. It's far from "successful"

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 07-18-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #252
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Ultimate Spider-Man is a success and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.
Marvel received so much criticism that they censored their Facebook page, i doubt their ratings are very high, in least not as high as Avengers: EMH or Spectacular Spider-Man, shows that were able to get older fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #253
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

The only reason i ever watch USM is if im waiting for EMH to come on and i have a hard time doing that for a couple of minutes sometimes.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #254
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
they said they wanted hulk in 2015 shortly after they realized he was a fan fave in avengers.
Might be a bit wishful thinking. Unless they don't plan on using Hulk in Avengers 2, I can seem them bypassing the sequel. Hulk would classify as the "event" movie Feige was talking about, and it is a big enough film to carry a mid summer tentpole. With DC pictures seemingly out of the picture, Marvel needs to lock up these release dates, albeit we have a ways to go until 2015. TIH2 May 2015 would be a slam dunk. Not sure where they will take the sequel or if the old TIH cast will return. I don't mind if Betty is recast but bring back Hurt and Nelson.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #255
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
Might be a bit wishful thinking. Unless they don't plan on using Hulk in Avengers 2, I can seem them bypassing the sequel. Hulk would classify as the "event" movie Feige was talking about, and it is a big enough film to carry a mid summer tentpole. With DC pictures seemingly out of the picture, Marvel needs to lock up these release dates, albeit we have a ways to go until 2015. TIH2 May 2015 would be a slam dunk. Not sure where they will take the sequel or if the old TIH cast will return. I don't mind if Betty is recast but bring back Hurt and Nelson.
If Hawkeye comes across Thunderbolt Ross and asks him if he has anywhere to store his weapons, Ross can suggest using his Hurt Locker.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #256
misjuevos
I am Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
If Hawkeye comes across Thunderbolt Ross and asks him if he has anywhere to store his weapons, Ross can suggest using his Hurt Locker.
now that is a great double entendre

Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #257
AvengeME
Banned User

Well, just awoke from my midnight show last night and haven't had time to digest the tragedy that took place, so I will just talk about the film even though it is off topic.

It's really a damn shame that Marvel will probably never produce something on the level of Nolan's past two Batman efforts. I wouldn't say never, as that is a strong word, but I'd just wish they'd go out of the box and try something different with some of their properties. Not that I think everything needs to be like Batman, but holy hell. TDKR was probably the best film I have ever seen. Can't believe it is over.

I will always be a Marvel guy though. X-Men was my favorite, and hopefully Fox can turn that completely around some day before I die. I don't mind getting my popcorn and eye candy in the meantime with Avengers. We'll just have to wait and see if and when Marvel decides to push the envelope with their bigger properties.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #258
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

the problem with that ideal is that Batman is able to be taken out of the box and spun around in many different types of adaptations because he's had many many many (all different) kinds before nolan even came along... ranging from gritty to goofy, to realistic to stylized.

majority of all fans want to see the books brought to life in the best (and most accurate portrayals) possible, that's what they want more than anything. And that's what happens with majority of a superhero's movies first run (it's what they're familiar with...).... (superman the movie, batman 89, spider-man, thor, cap, etc...) that's the priority. But when something like batman has been rebooted several times in the media.. people want to see something different, and "out of the box". and typically movies that premier and do stray quite a bit.. don't fair so well at the box office when it's their first outting.

i've said it before, but Nolan's films are great "Mystery/Crime Dramas" they're not great "superhero" films. He brings heroes into our world, and makes it believable, rather than bringing us into there's and making it believable. Very few characters imo could that ever really work with (Daredevil is probably one of the very few)

But me personally? I don't want marvel's films being anything like Nolans. I love Nolans films to death, couldn't be a bigger fan... but his adaptation is a little too "real" to me, and in the process we lose alot of things that I do love about batman. (in my eyes the perfect batman would be a mix of nolan's and burtons (basically like the arkham city games. I want nolan's compelling stories, but I also want a gotham that looks like gotham, and a world where i can see the likes of Clayface, Croc, Ivy, and Freeze, make sense.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #259
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
TDKR was probably the best film I have ever seen.
Please, let's not stretch it that far. It was very good, better in some parts than others, but it was not without its faults. I mean, without giving anything away, just the end of the movie alone... I can't think of a cheesier way to end the greatest comic book movie saga of all time.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #260
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
the problem with that ideal is that Batman is able to be taken out of the box and spun around in many different types of adaptations because he's had many many many (all different) kinds before nolan even came along... ranging from gritty to goofy, to realistic to stylized.

majority of all fans want to see the books brought to life in the best (and most accurate portrayals) possible, that's what they want more than anything. And that's what happens with majority of a superhero's movies first run (it's what they're familiar with...).... (superman the movie, batman 89, spider-man, thor, cap, etc...) that's the priority. But when something like batman has been rebooted several times in the media.. people want to see something different, and "out of the box". and typically movies that premier and do stray quite a bit.. don't fair so well at the box office when it's their first outting.

i've said it before, but Nolan's films are great "Mystery/Crime Dramas" they're not great "superhero" films. He brings heroes into our world, and makes it believable, rather than bringing us into there's and making it believable. Very few characters imo could that ever really work with (Daredevil is probably one of the very few)

But me personally? I don't want marvel's films being anything like Nolans. I love Nolans films to death, couldn't be a bigger fan... but his adaptation is a little too "real" to me, and in the process we lose alot of things that I do love about batman. (in my eyes the perfect batman would be a mix of nolan's and burtons (basically like the arkham city games. I want nolan's compelling stories, but I also want a gotham that looks like gotham, and a world where i can see the likes of Clayface, Croc, Ivy, and Freeze, make sense.
I don't think realism and going "out of the box" in terms of your comic book routes by grounding some characters to a more real world representation is what I am getting at here. People want to see compelling characters and stories regardless of the universe. You look at something like Iron Man, and it doesn't seem to push that boundary of what Tony Stark is truly capable of. It is always Hollywood idealized hosh posh that creates a certain superficiality with the characters. He can build a suit out of nothing in the desert, but it played out as another trivial thing Stark could scrap together with his underwear. He needs to create an element, so he winds some metal tubing together and a turn of the wrench later, there it is. These are extraordinary things that somehow don't seem very extraordinary as Marvel has to streamline their films to drive a story forward in a limited window. Stark is a crowd pleaser unlike Wayne and the two don't have the most in common outside of being filthy rich, but making Stark's ordeals too trivial and mundane does dehumanize the character at times.

Thor was basically a children's movie of morality. Simple themes and exposition. Not the most entertaining either. Hope that changes in a big way in a sequel.

Captain America, pretty one note as it is. Maybe that will change in the sequel. He serves his purpose in the Avengers though. His intro vs Loki, as cheesy as it was, sums up what a comic book movie is all about and is perhaps my favorite scene in the genre.

Hulk and Wolverine are guys that lend themselves to multiple dimensions. Wolverine, simply because of the surplus of stories and eras, but he too is written as a one note character that exacts revenge on the bad guys once his women end up dead. Definitely deeper psychology is in play for the two that has yet to be tapped.

And Hulk who Marvel continues to present in this 1-D streamlined "Hulk Smash" view. Blame the Ang Lee film or whatever, but Norton wasn't a great Banner, and never seemed engaged coupled with a one note action director. Ruffalo gave us a much better Banner. I want them to take Hulk in a new direction, where Hulk can actually reason his way in a fight as opposed to smashing things up. And then resume "Hulk Smash" as applicable. Much like Batman, we don't see the Hulk until it is absolutely necessary. And Banner can be a great character so that is where the story essentially lies the majority of the time.

The point being, I think Marvel can give us a different take once and a while without streamlining the process to 12 year old kids that want to see **** blown up. You don't completely abandon that, but there is a time and place for it. I can tolerate that stuff in an Avengers series but not the solo movies being a poor man's Avenger movie.

Last edited by AvengeME; 07-20-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #261
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
Please, let's not stretch it that far. It was very good, better in some parts than others, but it was not without its faults. I mean, without giving anything away, just the end of the movie alone... I can't think of a cheesier way to end the greatest comic book movie saga of all time.
People misinterpret this by viewing that statement as "The best film ever made". That's not where I am going.

In terms of entertainment, excitement, completely gripped by the story and emotionally attached to the characters, it was the best film I have ever seen for those reasons. While there are better films, this gave me the complete package, albeit a subjective one, that I look for in a film. Whereas something like Avengers, I got the "I'm too old for this ****" feeling, even though Avengers was one of the most entertaining films I have seen in the past decade, it did not meet on all cylinders for me.

Last edited by AvengeME; 07-20-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #262
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I really couldn't disagree With you more.. But different tastes

Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #263
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
People misinterpret this by viewing that statement as "The best film ever made". That's not where I am going.

In terms of entertainment, excitement, completely gripped by the story and emotionally attached to the characters, it was the best film I have ever seen for those reasons. While there are better films, this gave me the complete package, albeit a subjective one, that I look for in a film. Whereas something like Avengers, I got the "I'm too old for this ****" feeling, even though Avengers was one of the most entertaining films I have seen in the past decade, it did not meet on all cylinders for me.
I guess I can see what you mean. Sorry if it looked like I was trying to turn it into a Dark Knight vs Avengers thing because that is the last thing I ever want to be involved in.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #264
Blackman
King Kong

Kinda interesting, on CBM. Ant-Man and GOTG beat IM3 and Thor 2 in a "Which Phase II movie are you most looking forward to" poll

Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #265
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I'd say I'm looking forward to them:

5. Guardians of the Galaxy (Not really interested. If a trailer wows me, though.)
4. Thor: The Dark World (I have no idea what it's about.)
3. Ant-Man (I like Ant-Man, but Edgar Wright gives me confidence in this movie.)
2. Iron Man 3 (Shane Goddamn Black and Extremis!?)
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Cap is my favorite Marvel character, starred in my favorite Marvel movie, and features one of my favorite Cap stories. Of course it's first.)

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Old 07-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #266
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Not surprising. We've already seen IM and Thor on the big screen, and IM three times already, so he's not new. People are looking forward to seeing something they've never seen so far.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 07-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #267
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Well, just awoke from my midnight show last night and haven't had time to digest the tragedy that took place, so I will just talk about the film even though it is off topic.

It's really a damn shame that Marvel will probably never produce something on the level of Nolan's past two Batman efforts. I wouldn't say never, as that is a strong word, but I'd just wish they'd go out of the box and try something different with some of their properties. Not that I think everything needs to be like Batman, but holy hell. TDKR was probably the best film I have ever seen. Can't believe it is over.

I will always be a Marvel guy though. X-Men was my favorite, and hopefully Fox can turn that completely around some day before I die. I don't mind getting my popcorn and eye candy in the meantime with Avengers. We'll just have to wait and see if and when Marvel decides to push the envelope with their bigger properties.
The Avengers has already topped TDK for me, and TDKR fell short of both. Nolan movies have this illusion to them that because they're thought provoking, shocking, have great cinematography and have camera work that they're always good, but that's not the case. TDKR wasn't even better than Iron Man IMO. Even the people in the TDKR boards were disappointed. But one thing I will say is that Marvel should probably pump out some more cash so that every one of their solo movies has the production value TDKR and The Avengers did.

Quote:
Not surprising. We've already seen IM and Thor on the big screen, and IM three times already, so he's not new. People are looking forward to seeing something they've never seen so far.
I guess it's a testament to how awesome Cap is that his movie is ahead of ALL of them even though he's been on the big screen twice already as well.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #268
cherokeesam
Run Forever, Warrior RIP

Quote:
Agreed. Even Cap, whose sequel actually won the poll, can be considered a "new" property set in this century instead of WWII. I think people just want to see where Marvel will go next, instead of just revisiting the same territory.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #269
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Agreed. Even Cap, whose sequel actually won the poll, can be considered a "new" property set in this century instead of WWII. I think people just want to see where Marvel will go next, instead of just revisiting the same territory.
I wouldn't call exploring new realms and creating armor that's controlled with your body "revisiting the same territory." We've got a lot to look forward to in Phase 2.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #270
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I wouldn't call exploring new realms and creating armor that's controlled with your body "revisiting the same territory." We've got a lot to look forward to in Phase 2.
No, but it's the same character we've been already seen - in IM's case, since 2008. Each sequel explores new territory, but it's never the same as seeing someone completely new on screen that we've never seen before.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #271
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I don't want to have to wait until 2016/2017 for Black Panther and Dr. Strange .
same

Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #272
Kiltman
#4 in Shrubbery Appraisal

I was thinking, and I know this would technically be phase 3, but since the MCU has and is continuing to go cosmic. Could the next Hulk solo movie be an adaptation of Planet Hulk?

I mean the whole hulk on earth destroying a city is played out, and wouldn't work as well now that we know Banner now has a lot more control of it. That's not to be said there are no more earth based Hulk stories left, it's just it could be a dramatic departure from previous hulk films and be the most Hulk-centric film yet. It would give a situation where Banner and Hulk must really start to come together and help "eachother" survive. Then have him get brought back to earth at the end by either the GotG or Nova or whomever as a more intelligent Hulk.

It would be a lot different from the comic or animated film for those that saw that too. But maybe in Avengers 2 during the fight against Thanos...Hulk gets sent to a far away world where he will be faced with death at every turn. If I remember correctly the purple Infinity gem has that exact power. It males sense that when they'd face off against Thanos that the Hulk would rush in and perhaps try and Loki-bash Thanos....so thanos matching Hulk with maybe a punch or two then grabbing him and sending him far away would be a good representation that this guy (thanos) is a lotmore of a threat than Loki was. .

It would be a lose translation of the comic I know and they could make changes to fit into the MCU better. I was thinking of what Hulk story I wanted to see and that was the first thing that popped in my head.

Last edited by Kiltman; 07-22-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #273
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I am looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy the most because its the not a sequel, they haven't had a film yet, its like the wild card of Marvel Studios and its a superhero team. The 2nd movie I am looking forward the most is Ant-Man.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #274
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Kinda interesting, on CBM. Ant-Man and GOTG beat IM3 and Thor 2 in a "Which Phase II movie are you most looking forward to" poll
Interesting.

If the same poll is asked to mainstream moviegoers, IM3 would come on top. According to CBM, didn't IM3 get the most tweets/social talks of all Comic Con 2012 movies, slightly topping even the ought-to-be-champion Man of Steel?

Thor would be second. Cap will be third. The others would just be met resounding "What?"

Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #275
Lord
All Mighty

I judge the directors, so i'm far more excited for Iron Man 3 and Ant-Man than the other movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Closed Thread