The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #701
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

I believe it's also because a lot of the more recent stories are easier to translate to film than a lot of the pre-90s stuff, especially when considering that a lot of comic book stories before weren't continuous and were more on shot comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #702
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

well I believe that its in an attempt to sell comics.

but thats just my anti-capitalist anti-consumerist conspiracy theorist side at work.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #703
Chewy
REDACTED

They'd sell older comics just that were being adapted just as easily.

It's not like they're adapting current arcs. They're adapting recent, acclaimed arcs.

Thor 2's springing out of Simonson's arc, and I assume that's partially because Thor 1 was loosely adapted from JMS's stuff. Whereas most of the rest of Phase One came from 60s/70s comics, or Ultimates.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #704
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

It's not like they're adapting current arcs. They're adapting recent, acclaimed arcs.

Thor 2's springing out of Simonson's arc, and I assume that's partially because Thor 1 was loosely adapted from JMS's stuff. Whereas most of the rest of Phase One came from 60s/70s comics, or Ultimates.
Please, tell me more.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #705
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:

I'm just glad they took the good stuff out of Ultimates, and not some more stupid aspects of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #706
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

The Ultimate line was launched to challenge the construct of superheroes, after 9/11. In Millar's hands, the first two volumes were excellent, but afterwards, it was a rollercoaster. One could argue that the point of pushing the storylines and characters to the extreme was that those characterizations would not be committed to celluloid or happy meal toys.

Returning to the topic at hand, I am looking forward to seeing Simonson's run adapted in TDW. I am putting up money for the omnibus, as I want to read it well before the release date, even though I bet Marvel will release a tp of the crucial storyline(s) before the film is released.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #707
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Awesome Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:

You didn't get the memo about the final fight in Cap 2 between Zemo and Sharon Carter in space, brah?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #708
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I believe it's also because a lot of the more recent stories are easier to translate to film than a lot of the pre-90s stuff, especially when considering that a lot of comic book stories before weren't continuous and were more on shot comics.
I honestly beleive that Millars idea for the Ultimates was 'Using Fox's X-Men as a template, this is what if the Avengers would be like if it was made into a movie'. I think a lot of contemporary writers also go in with that ethos so it's only natural that modern stories/arcs would be more adaptable because they were written with that purpose.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #709
Lord
All Mighty

So, from recent news it seems like Ant-Man won't be part of Phase II, which mean it wouldn't lead into Ultron, i guess Thanos going to be the next big bad.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #710
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
So, from recent news it seems like Ant-Man won't be part of Phase II, which mean it wouldn't lead into Ultron, i guess Thanos going to be the next big bad.
Ultron in Phase 3 will be fine.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #711
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Cause I prefer the Avengers not answer to anyone and be their own private organization as they always were for over 40 some odd years. I like for them to work alongside SHIELD at some times or not trust them at others. I like that some governments may be weary of them and others not. Just more interesting to me than them being pseudo arm of something else. Like Avengers presented by SHIELD.!
actually this isnt true. Several times during their history they reported to governments...eventually at one time becoming a part of the UN

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #712
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Ultron in Phase 3 will be fine.
Yeah, but going from Thanos to Ultron? Hmm... seems like a downgrade in power. I also wonder if we'll ever see Kang the Conqueror in one of the Avengers movies. I would have rather they used him for one of the movies and kept Thanos as a GOTG villain.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #713
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Sure, Ulton's more of a 'domestic' threat as opposed to Thanos [who is a universal or 'cosmic' threat], but that doesnt make him any less deadly or important. Just because the group may stay on earth in 3 when theyve been in space in 2 doesnt mean its a downgrade. I imagine if Ultron conceives a plot to end all life on earth [and maybe even offs a couple of well-known characters in the process] that he'll be perceived as a viable threat to the audience. If done right, Ulton could be absolutely chilling. I guess it'll all be about the execution.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #714
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Sure, Ulton's more of a 'domestic' threat as opposed to Thanos [who is a universal or 'cosmic' threat], but that doesnt make him any less deadly or important. Just because the group may stay on earth in 3 when theyve been in space in 2 doesnt mean its a downgrade. I imagine if Ultron conceives a plot to end all life on earth [and maybe even offs a couple of well-known characters in the process] that he'll be perceived as a viable threat to the audience. If done right, Ulton could be absolutely chilling. I guess it'll all be about the execution.
Exactly.
Franchises aren't built to go on a scale of escalating threat level. In the comics, the Avengers fight big cosmic baddies in one issue and save the universe, while in the next issue they battle some "street level" foes in a personal fight.

It's not about trying to one-up Thanos; it's about telling good stories. There are a lot better stories in the Avengers' repertoire than "save the universe by fighting an evil megavillain."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #715
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

They need some variety in the movies anyway other than bigger villains than Thanos. Ultron provides variety, as would the Avengers fighting the Masters of Evil. We haven't had that team vs team dynamic yet.

What would be cool is setting up the Masters of Evil in the SHIELD tv series, so that we actually get to know them, so that they aren't just faceless characters for the Avengers to fight.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #716
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
They need some variety in the movies anyway other than bigger villains than Thanos. Ultron provides variety, as would the Avengers fighting the Masters of Evil. We haven't had that team vs team dynamic yet.

What would be cool is setting up the Masters of Evil in the SHIELD tv series, so that we actually get to know them, so that they aren't just faceless characters for the Avengers to fight.
I hope the first season of SHEILD they deal more street level to break them in before they get to some big baddies or have their first big baddie faced on the season finale. And as far as the Avengers I would have liked Ant-Man in Phase II before the Avengers 2 so Hank and Janet could've been introduced in their own film and be on the team and Ultron actually help defeat Thanos before It turns on all humanity. But alas that's not how its going so....

But they may want to stay away from the team vs team dynamic because I have a suspicion that the JL movie will be going for and we don't need the same story in the same year

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 10-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #717
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
I hope the first season of SHEILD they deal more street level to break them in before they get to some big baddies or have their first big baddie faced on the season finale. And as far as the Avengers I would have liked Ant-Man in Phase II before the Avengers 2 so Hank and Janet could've been introduced in their own film and be on the team and Ultron actually help defeat Thanos before It turns on all humanity. But alas that's not how its going so....

But they may want to stay away from the team vs team dynamic because I have a suspicion that the JL movie will be going for and we don't need the same story in the same year
But who are the Justice League going to battle? The Legion of Doom?

The problem with that is that they have to introduce 2 teams, so if they have the Legion of Doom, they're just going to end up as rather cardboard cutout figures. With the Avengers, the team has already been introduced. Also, they can either go the route of the SHIELD tv series to introduce villains who can team up, or they can use some of the baddies from the previous MCU movies to form a team (a movie version of the Masters of Evil) consisting of the likes of Red Skull, Baron Zemo (if he's in Cap 2), the Mandarin, Abomination, Radioactive Man, Loki (possibly).

The Avengers can easily one-up the Justice League on that front by repeating the attraction of the first Avengers movie - seeing villains we've seen before all coming together in one movie to form a team and setting them against the Avengers.

So I think it would be a good move for Marvel to do that for a future Avengers movie. WB don't have that luxury unfortunately, because they simply don't have all these individual DC movies to lead into the JL movie nor a related series where there can be additional character and plot development.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #718
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But who are the Justice League going to battle? The Legion of Doom?

The problem with that is that they have to introduce 2 teams, so if they have the Legion of Doom, they're just going to end up as rather cardboard cutout figures.
I'm not defending the wisdom of their choice if they were to do that but they may attempt it if they already think that the audience already knows the characters and the villains. Why else would they just jump into a JL movie without any setup films?

Quote:
With the Avengers, the team has already been introduced. Also, they can either go the route of the SHIELD tv series to introduce villains who can team up, or they can use some of the baddies from the previous MCU movies to form a team (a movie version of the Masters of Evil) consisting of the likes of Red Skull, Baron Zemo (if he's in Cap 2), the Mandarin, Abomination, Radioactive Man, Loki (possibly).
No way.. Thats way too big for them for a TV show. Like I said to keep them more grounded. Have them deal with Jessica Drew, Hero's for Hire, A.I.M, Hammer Industries fallout, maybe even Oscorp issues (if Sony made it official the the ASM universe and the MCU are the same) and trying to thwarts attempts at genetic experiments or the results of villain scientists trying to recreate the super soldier formula. Let the Big Bads be dealt with in the movie sequels leading to Avengers 2.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #719
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I'm starting to worry they're going to create a whole new story line for Phase 2 and 3 and just chanel that into Marvel Now. I really don't want a comic universe based on a series of movies.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #720
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I'm starting to worry they're going to create a whole new story line for Phase 2 and 3 and just chanel that into Marvel Now. I really don't want a comic universe based on a series of movies.
You're probably right if they're using the Transformers logic Movies Sell Toys=Movies sells Comic Books & Toys

Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #721
Doc Ock
10 years ago...

Quote:
Yeah I thought the whole reason for the creation of the MCU was that it could be its own entity from the comics....not becoming comics themselves.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #722
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

That will suck if thats what they are doing... and maybe that will explain why some writers decided to leave Marvel Now..

Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #723
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Exactly.
Franchises aren't built to go on a scale of escalating threat level. In the comics, the Avengers fight big cosmic baddies in one issue and save the universe, while in the next issue they battle some "street level" foes in a personal fight.

It's not about trying to one-up Thanos; it's about telling good stories. There are a lot better stories in the Avengers' repertoire than "save the universe by fighting an evil megavillain."

Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #724
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
That may be what happens, but I don't think that is what the MCU is doing intentionally. Maybe that is a bit naive, but I think they have their own blueprint for the movies, and if the comic-writers want to use that stuff to set up their stories, its their fault cause they don't have an original bone in their body. Look at Bendis, who is pretty much using the GotG movie line-up and tossing Iron Man in their for ****s and giggles. Ridiculous.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #725
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Yeah, but going from Thanos to Ultron? Hmm... seems like a downgrade in power.
Funny you should say that... Thanos was the bad guy in Annihilation, and Ultron was the bad guy in its sequel, Annihilation: Conquest

Closed Thread