Old 11-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #901
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
This!!
Heavy Lovecraftian influence.
Ironically, that might work with the Clarke's Law angle used in the MCU...

Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #902
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Why do you want to kill Natasha off? What has movie Black Widow done to offend you?

Hey, Natasha is about the only woman to have ever survived Daredevil's proverbial fridge. That's gotta count for something.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #903
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Marvel needs to get both Doctor Strange and the Black Panther established as part of widening the scope of the film universe. The Inhumans could be a major part of Cosmic Marvel, especially if GotG takes off. Those films should be priorities for phase 3, IMO. More secondary characters don't need films of their own since they can be brought in as part of other franchises (specifically thinking of Ms. Marvel).
Inhumans seems like more of an X-Men surrogate than an extension of cosmic (although it could be that as well). Mutation, but as a result of genetic tampering instead of genetic evolution. A core group of superpowered beings, who are considered freaks and outcasts, with a bunch of other potential characters. Not that any of those other characters have ever had more than a handful of non-notable background appearances in the comics

Heck, Inhumans could be a way to introduce Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver into the MCU. A bit of a deviation but one that works without betraying the characters' identities. Just say their dad was an Inhuman terrorist.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #904
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Inhumans seems like more of an X-Men surrogate than an extension of cosmic (although it could be that as well). Mutation, but as a result of genetic tampering instead of genetic evolution. A core group of superpowered beings, who are considered freaks and outcasts, with a bunch of other potential characters. Not that any of those other characters have ever had more than a handful of non-notable background appearances in the comics

Heck, Inhumans could be a way to introduce Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver into the MCU. A bit of a deviation but one that works without betraying the characters' identities. Just say their dad was an Inhuman terrorist.
The premise of the Inhumans film seems to center around an Alien sleeper cell, which means cosmic. It will probably be our introduction to the Kree Empire and might center around a version of the Kree / Skrull war.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #905
Chewy
REDACTED

I assume they'd still be an Earthbound sleeper cell, probably Humans genetically modified by the Kree. Which means it could sort of be an X-Men surrogate and a cosmic extension, at the same time.

Which is certainly a stronger proposition for a film than than almost any of the street heroes.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #906
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
That's the reason a lot of the Marvel characters who are more "street level" less sci/fi fantasy bdon't work on the big screen. Black Widow is sort of an archetype, based on films etc. from the era she was created. Same for Nick Fury, Punisher, Shang Chi, and Luke Cage (with the exception of being bullet proof.)

Characters like that aren't nearly as singular as characters like Spider-Man, Captain America and The Hulk. They maybe cool in comics, but when you stick a character like the Punisher or Black Widow up on the big screen, there's a kind of "Been there, done that" element.
There hasn't been the buddy movie done in comics yet. Power Man and Iron Fist could fill that gap. By themselves, their individual movies might be a bit boring. I think they'd be much more interesting if you tell both of their origins in the same film that somehow ties together into the same story and play off the chemistry that have together.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #907
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I'd love to see a Cage/Iron Fist buddy movie. But I also want to see the Iron Fist's Fraction run done in movie. It's hard to do that with Cage hanging around him.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #908
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
I'd love to see a Cage/Iron Fist buddy movie. But I also want to see the Iron Fist's Fraction run done in movie. It's hard to do that with Cage hanging around him.
Well instead of doing them separately and then (if they do well enough individually) putting them together, why not do them together first, and then, once there is interest for the characters, do a prequel where it retells their separate origins or individual stories?

Doing them separately to start with might end up with two mediocre movies like Ghost Rider or Elektra. If somehow those two had the opportunity to team up, would anyone really want to see that, as done by Sony or Fox? Two wrongs don't make a right. Power Man and Iron Fist might perform so badly individually that they would reason that it's unfeasible to make a film with both of them, whereas the reverse of that might not hold true. With those two they should go the WB/ JL route and show them together, and then if necessary, tell their separate origins.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #909
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Believe me, we know.

Quote:
That's the reason a lot of the Marvel characters who are more "street level" less sci/fi fantasy bdon't work on the big screen. Black Widow is sort of an archetype, based on films etc. from the era she was created. Same for Nick Fury, Punisher, Shang Chi, and Luke Cage (with the exception of being bullet proof.)

Characters like that aren't nearly as singular as characters like Spider-Man, Captain America and The Hulk. They maybe cool in comics, but when you stick a character like the Punisher or Black Widow up on the big screen, there's a kind of "Been there, done that" element.
I would agree with that. I would think Luke Cage has diverged enough from blaxploitation to be his own thing, but it does fall somewhere in the middle of a classic CBM and a beat 'em up flick... which may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending.

Quote:
I assume they'd still be an Earthbound sleeper cell, probably Humans genetically modified by the Kree. Which means it could sort of be an X-Men surrogate and a cosmic extension, at the same time.

Which is certainly a stronger proposition for a film than than almost any of the street heroes.
I definitely see Inhumans as their X-Men surrogate. I think GotG will be fine for exploring cosmic, and the Inhumans would, in contrast if nothing else, focus more on their unique society. I could've sworn Feige said something about that in times past, but he loosely compared them recently.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #910
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

Quote:

The Inhumans can be substitutes for mutants in the MCU, with their mutagenic Terrigen Mist and bizarre shapes and powers. Fox would have a hard time suing Marvel for featuring Inhuman characters and others who had been mutated with the Mist, though I wouldn't put it past them to try.

Wanda and Pietro could be introduced without offering an explanation for their powers, or as associates of the Inhumans. Marvel could even tie them to the High Evolutionary and Wundagore Mountain, since that's where they were born. Didn't Pietro use the Terrigen Mists on mutants after the House of M stupidity went down? But I'd prefer that they leave the twins' origins unexplained as a big "**** You" to Fox.

The Inhumans has a lot of potential as a cosmic property because they're directly tied to the Kree and can serve as a jumping off point for stories involving other alien races. The Skrull could be involved, naturally, but so could Annihilus. Captain Marvel (the one and only) might enter into the picture and, who know, maybe shades of the Kree-Skrull War. Inhumans can feed into GotG and vice versa. Marvel won't be able to use Galactus and the Silver Surfer, but they can create an interesting cosmic universe with what could be considered second-tier characters. Sort of like The Avengers.

Last edited by xeno000; 11-03-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #911
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:

Definitely.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #912
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

It would be great though if Marvel did get back the FF from Fox, because then they could crossover with the Inhumans. I'd love to see them working with the likes of Medusa and Crystal.

Would be cool even to have the original Frightful Four, but that would depend on getting back Spidey characters from Sony (ie Sandman). Also, having Medusa in it would only be able to be a temporary thing, so maybe the Frightful Four would only be a very short-lived plotline within a movie (eg Medusa is only temporarily brainwashed and made to fight the FF along with Wizard, Sandman and Paste Pot Pete The Trapster).

Old 11-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #913
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
It would be great though if Marvel did get back the FF from Fox, because then they could crossover with the Inhumans. I'd love to see them working with the likes of Medusa and Crystal.

Would be cool even to have the original Frightful Four, but that would depend on getting back Spidey characters from Sony (ie Sandman). Also, having Medusa in it would only be able to be a temporary thing, so maybe the Frightful Four would only be a very short-lived plotline within a movie (eg Medusa is only temporarily brainwashed and made to fight the FF along with Wizard, Sandman and Paste Pot Pete The Trapster).
Yeah, it still surprises me that Fox didn't try to get the rights to the Inhumans a long time ago....they've got closer ties to the FF than to any other Marvel hero/team out there.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #914
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I'm frankly shocked that Inhumans aren't a part of the Fox deal. It's not like Namor, Adam Warlock or Black Panther, who were brought into the MU through F4 but quickly established themselves in other ways. The Inhumans have always been more F4 characters than their own franchise to me, even after War of Kings.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #915
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post

Marvel [or Fox] could use Quicksand in place of Sandman and keep all the cool Sandman action that would be featured in and FF vs FF movie. The classic story arc from FF 41-43 would be a great foundation for an FF movie and it would be even better if it were part of the Marvel Universe.

Also, seems the best way to introduce the Inhumans is via the FF - just like the comics - another reason for having the FF back at Marvel!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #916
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Honestly, I think saving all the pipe dreams of reacquiring Spider-Man and Fantastic Four should stay in that get the rights back thread. There's actually no movement on that, little motivation beyond "teh comics" for Marvel to get FF back and Marvel has repeatedly expressed they are working on Inhumans sans Fantastic Four.

Quote:
I'm frankly shocked that Inhumans aren't a part of the Fox deal. It's not like Namor, Adam Warlock or Black Panther, who were brought into the MU through F4 but quickly established themselves in other ways. The Inhumans have always been more F4 characters than their own franchise to me, even after War of Kings.
I think there are people that see it like that, but the Inhumans have always been capable of standing on their own, much like BP and Namor. I think that's what Marvel was thinking at the time, and if Fox had any self awareness, they knew they were never going to use those super-powered FF supporting cast outside of Surfer.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #917
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
There's actually no movement on that, little motivation beyond "teh comics" for Marvel to get FF back
I want to watch Silver Surfer and Rocket Raccoon play checkers. Okay? Is that too much to ask?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #918
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Lol... apparently.

It's this weird completionist thing some of us have, like we want to believe that SS and RR *can* go and play checkers, or Thor and Ben Grimm can go kick back a brew, and that all of the Marvel Universe is happening off screen, even if we never see it, even if it's not important to the story/characters/success, it's important to *us.*

I can relate, I just don't wanna have to wait five years for the next Cap film because Marvel Studios is making Cap, Thor, IM, Avengers, and Hulk/GotG/Ant-Man/Dr. Strange/Black Panther/Inhumans, Fantastic Four and Daredevil at a pace of 2 films a year. Especially if all I get is a Reed cameo in Iron Man or whatever.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #919
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Honestly, I think saving all the pipe dreams of reacquiring Spider-Man and Fantastic Four should stay in that get the rights back thread. There's actually no movement on that, little motivation beyond "teh comics" for Marvel to get FF back and Marvel has repeatedly expressed they are working on Inhumans sans Fantastic Four.

I think there are people that see it like that, but the Inhumans have always been capable of standing on their own, much like BP and Namor. I think that's what Marvel was thinking at the time, and if Fox had any self awareness, they knew they were never going to use those super-powered FF supporting cast outside of Surfer.

Of course Fox optioned the Surfer YEARS before they did the FF, so he was never part of the FF package.

I do wonder exactly what was included in their FF option - I know with the X-MEN they have a HUGE notebook of ALL the Mutants that they can use - so you would think the FF deal also had that spelled out...

Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #920
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Not Inhumanssss ugh, boring.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #921
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I'd say they're the least likely of that group of three to show up in phase 3, but they're definitely coming.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #922
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

Quote:

I can relate, I just don't wanna have to wait five years for the next Cap film because Marvel Studios is making Cap, Thor, IM, Avengers, and Hulk/GotG/Ant-Man/Dr. Strange/Black Panther/Inhumans, Fantastic Four and Daredevil at a pace of 2 films a year. Especially if all I get is a Reed cameo in Iron Man or whatever.
This is a very good point. I'm already whining to everyone who will listen about how badly I want a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie that I'll probably never get, so having even more characters and teams that people will want movies for on the roster just means the ones we already have will continue to get shoved off on the back burner. I'm perfectly happy to let Fox and whoever keep rebooting if it means we get more Avengers universe character movies. A world that big works for comics but not for movies.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #923
Doc Ock
10 years ago...

Quote:
I want to watch Silver Surfer and Rocket Raccoon play checkers. Okay? Is that too much to ask?
That would be the greatest thing eva, an event of COSMIC proportions.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #924
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
The Surfer would get distracted contemplating the finer points of existence, and his place in the cosmic tapestry....meanwhile Rocket would beat him in 2 moves and take his surfboard.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #925
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Surfer could then turn mean and guide Galactus to Rocket's home world