The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #276
Doomofman
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Score IV - Part 4

Random Q for folks... Does anyone know what the deal is with the title of 'Bombers over Ibiza'?

BUTTER BALLS!!!!
Doomofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #277
INVAR
Side-Kick

Entire album in FLAC/lossless + ALL bonus tracks. Rar compressed files:

INVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #278
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomofman View Post
Random Q for folks... Does anyone know what the deal is with the title of 'Bombers over Ibiza'?
Ibiza is best place for clubs. Probably that's why.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #279
Doomofman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baneis8feettall View Post
Ibiza is best place for clubs. Probably that's why.
Didn't realize it was a poxy dance song... Listened to like 30 seconds of it and gave up, no idea why that was a bonus track

BUTTER BALLS!!!!
Doomofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #280
georgec
Not a hero

Filmtracks rates the score

Can't say I disagree with the assessment of the score being mostly pounding themes and repetitive cues. Still, I think it mostly works in the film.

I do miss James Newton Howard's touch from Batman Begins.

georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #281
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Music critics are the most useless critics around aside from food critics.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #282
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Clemmenson has always hated zimmer's music lol

I think he has given like hans one good review, but guess what, I don't need people telling me what is good and what isn't.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #283
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus_Snape View Post
Clemmenson has always hated zimmer's music lol

I think he has given like hans one good review, but guess what, I don't need people telling me what is good and what isn't.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #284
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

Although The Amazing Spider-Man may not achieve the highest rating at Filmtracks, it's about as strong a four-star score as one can be, and nobody should be ostracized for forgiving its relatively minor faults and awarding it
the highest rating possible. ****

Same website. 2 stars for TDKR, 4 stars for TASM

Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #285
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Although The Amazing Spider-Man may not achieve the highest rating at Filmtracks, it's about as strong a four-star score as one can be, and nobody should be ostracized for forgiving its relatively minor faults and awarding it
the highest rating possible. ****

Same website. 2 stars for TDKR, 4 stars for TASM

Their opinion is invalidated.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #286
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Hey, TASM score was really good. I'm not gonna hate on one score because I like another. I think both are really good efforts, however, there are a few tracks on ASM and TDKR's score that will take some time to love as much as other cues.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #287
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

I thought TASM's score was serviceable. It was good in some places, almost cringe-inducing in others. TDKR's is much better all around.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #288
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Ugh, me and my friends were laughing at TASM's score when we were watching the film. It was dreadful.

CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #289
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Eh, dreadful is a strong word. It was well done in a good deal of scenes, but in others (the end of the car thief scene comes to mind), it just got... ugh.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #290
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady247 View Post
Eh, dreadful is a strong word. It was well done in a good deal of scenes, but in others (the end of the car thief scene comes to mind), it just got... ugh.
I know it's a strong word. And I meant it

The car thief scene music was bad as was the poorly done piano in the scene where The Lizard is prowling around. The idea was good, but it was executed poorly.

75 Years of the Batman - Happy Anniversary to my Hero
Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #291
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

TASM might be better as overall album but what's the point of a soundtrack album if it doesn't help the movie (Horner's music even made it worse in some scenes)

Soundtracks must fit the movie and good soundtracks boost the movie. Zimmer's work has done that previous movies.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #292
DuceFace
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVAR View Post
I was able to open part one, but 2, 3, 4 said the archive was damaged. The first file had all the tracks so I'm not sure what was in the other 3, now I'm just curious.

Thanks for posting this by the way, these are the kind of albums that need to be heard as high quality as possible.

DuceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #293
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Filmtracks rates the score

Can't say I disagree with the assessment of the score being mostly pounding themes and repetitive cues. Still, I think it mostly works in the film.

I do miss James Newton Howard's touch from Batman Begins.
Filmtracks have never been kind to Zimmer.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #294
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader14 View Post

The car thief scene music was bad as was the poorly done piano in the scene where The Lizard is prowling around. The idea was good, but it was executed poorly.
Haha, yeah.

Indeed, the piano thing during that scene was more annoying than tense. Nonetheless, the score overall was fine. Nothing amazing, some bad stuff, but nothing so awful I covered my ears in the theater.

And TDKR will both complement the film AND be good overall as an album. That's more than we can say for TASM.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #295
INVAR
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuceFace View Post
I was able to open part one, but 2, 3, 4 said the archive was damaged. The first file had all the tracks so I'm not sure what was in the other 3, now I'm just curious.

Thanks for posting this by the way, these are the kind of albums that need to be heard as high quality as possible.
With a Rar extractor you should be able to just decompress the first Rar file and it should decompress the rest as linked archives. Place all Rar files into one folder and it should decompress all the files when opening the first file in a Rar extractor program.

When trying to decompress the other files individually, the extractor is trying to find the other compression strings attached to the divided archive and that is why you are getting a 'damaged archive file' dialog box.

INVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #296
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
TASM might be better as overall album but what's the point of a soundtrack album if it doesn't help the movie (Horner's music even made it worse in some scenes)

Soundtracks must fit the movie and good soundtracks boost the movie. Zimmer's work has done that previous movies.
I would say Zimmer is better at making music that works more in the context of viewing the film than he does at making standalone albums. There's nothing wrong with that, but the best scores and composers are able to do both.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #297
KnightBatman
Side-Kick

Dunno if this has been posted yet but supposedly this is the whole song of what was in The Dark Knight Rises trailer 3 and it's not fan made, composed by Hans Zimmer. Pretty cool! Just wish it came with the score...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

KnightBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #298
Rezzo
The Fire Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
Dunno if this has been posted yet but supposedly this is the whole song of what was in The Dark Knight Rises trailer 3 and it's not fan made, composed by Hans Zimmer. Pretty cool! Just wish it came with the score...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Fixed.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Rezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #299
NL197
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader14 View Post

and I would say the same about TDKR.

It's a dreadful album for several reasons:

1: from a consumer standpoint they are requiring you to re-purchase the same album several times in different formats just to get all of the music available, which encourages piracy.

2. The music sounds like it was made entirely on computers, with almost nothing organic in it at all, and the electronic brass and strings are of a cheap sound. One would think with the synths he uses he would find some less cheesy in sound...or hire a real orchestra and not process it to sound fake.

3. Several tracks are literally pieces of the previous scores cut-and-pasted into this score, such as sections of "Despair" and the vocals in "Rise". Not arrangements of the music, but actual recordings from Begins and TDK are pasted into this score. That's ridiculous.

4. Many of the cues seem to be poorly edited and / or timed so from a musical standpoint, it's amateurish.

5. All of the music that's similar to the previous scores was simply done better in those scores. This one is like a cheaply-produced knock off of them because of the over-processed synthetic sound to it. James Newton Howard is sorely missed on this one, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady247 View Post

And TDKR will both complement the film AND be good overall as an album. That's more than we can say for TASM.
See above.

Of course it's fine for the Zimmer freaks to bash anything and everything without the balls to back up WHY they think his music is oh so great and superior.
The comment section of the TDKR review is proof enough of that just as here:

You HAVE to bash Spider-Man just to validate your love of TDKR. You are unwilling (or just plain unable, like the majority of Zimmer's fans) to evaluate something on its own merits and face ANY criticism without telling people to get lost and label them trolls.

I bet none of you even bothered to give what that review stated any real thought because if you did, you would realize that much of the review was based on the fact that HANS ZIMMER HIMSELF over-hyped his music (as usual) and did not deliver what he said he would.

You're all so busy going along with the gushing praise you haven't even considered that little fact. It's at the core of what Filmtracks AND other sites AND film music fans take issue with.

His music is not 'bad', but if the man would actually back up what he says about it, maybe there wouldn't be an issue. Instead of the endless hyperbole (which makes sense because his fans go even more overboard than he does) just be humble and not write checks his behind can't cash, so to speak. If the man says he's going to save his Batman theme for when he's earned it, then by all means deliver on it. If he says he's going to 'resolve' his two-note theme, then resolve it.

He didn't do what he said he was going to do, and this is a trend with him. That people call him out on it is what you all have such a big problem with, it seems.

Of course that's asking far too much, just as it is asking far too much to have any kind of open debate / exchange of opinions with any fan of his without being insulted for it.

Funny thing is, for all of you fans who claim not to care one bit what anyone else thinks unless it's praise, you spend a lot of time telling people off and going on about how much you don't care. Doesn't add up.

Of course you'll prove me right by insulting me, calling me a troll or having some mod delete this. Typical, again as usual. By all means, go right the hell ahead. You know you want to. Sometimes I wonder just how old Zimmer fans tend to be because they love to unleash insults on anyone who doesn't agree with them.

And this is coming from someone who actually likes Zimmer's Batman scores and the bits from the previous movies that made it into this new one. The new stuff was take it or leave it.

NL197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #300
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

I will admit, the TDKR score is my least favourite out of the 3. It's way too short, and occasionally poorly edited. My favourite cue out of the films (the rising 2 notes) sounds a lot worse than it has in the past due to the synth.

The whole re-hashes from previous scores doesn't bother me cause I always get a kick out of hearing themes and motifs that I love.

There are a lot of great new pieces of music in this score (the first half of The Fire Rises sounds a bit too generic for my liking) that I absolutely love and has satisfied me as well as I could have hoped.

It's definitely the weakest of the three and I think it really misses having JNH in the score. I still like it either way.