The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #51
db85usa
HeHe!

Default Re: With MOS looking to have the a tone similar to BB... Does that open the doors a c

MoS is definitely following Batman Begins' lead on how to reboot a franchise successfully. You've got the writers, and the director which is producing MoS aboard. They know what they're doing and they know how to get the job done.

BB, Bruce Wayne disappears from Gotham, disassociates himself pretty much from everyone. Clark, it seems in MoS is in Alaska disassociating himself also from everyone. Its going to be a journey of self discovery. Why am I here? Do I want to be the person I am supposed to be? What is my purpose in life?

I don't think MoS will be dark. I think it'll be gritty on a personal level and the most explicated version of Superman on film.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #52
Bran-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: With MOS looking to have the a tone similar to BB... Does that open the doors a c

db85usa, I totally agree with you. Excellent post.

Bran-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #53
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
MoS is definitely following Batman Begins' lead on how to reboot a franchise successfully. You've got the writers, and the director which is producing MoS aboard. They know what they're doing and they know how to get the job done.

BB, Bruce Wayne disappears from Gotham, disassociates himself pretty much from everyone. Clark, it seems in MoS is in Alaska disassociating himself also from everyone. Its going to be a journey of self discovery. Why am I here? Do I want to be the person I am supposed to be? What is my purpose in life?

I don't think MoS will be dark. I think it'll be gritty on a personal level and the most explicated version of Superman on film.
They can make the situations and conflicts dark...certainly something like Earth reacting to him with suspicion and fear/mistrust at first is a darker avenue than previous Superman movies have gone. But he's definitely not a darker character, and I think by going these roots it ultimately brings a new appreciation for aspects of his character that were perhaps dismissed as being too light or 'boy-scoutish' before.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #54
db85usa
HeHe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
They can make the situations and conflicts dark...certainly something like Earth reacting to him with suspicion and fear/mistrust at first is a darker avenue than previous Superman movies have gone. But he's definitely not a darker character, and I think by going these roots it ultimately brings a new appreciation for aspects of his character that were perhaps dismissed as being too light or 'boy-scoutish' before.
Superman is not a dark character, no doubt. His reputation will be tarnished if this happens. Batman and Superman are pretty much polar opposites. This is why I said it will be gritty/personal. This Superman will be taken literally just like Nolan's Batman was. In other words, he's going to be a bad ass MFer this time around.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #55
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
Superman is not a dark character, no doubt. His reputation will be tarnished if this happens. Batman and Superman are pretty much polar opposites. This is why I said it will be gritty/personal. This Superman will be taken literally just like Nolan's Batman was. In other words, he's going to be a bad ass MFer this time around.
Y'know what's funny, though? Batman is supposed to be the 'dark' one in his outlook and methods....but this recent Nolan Batman really isn't very 'dark'. He started off with intimidation methods and a lot of anger et al, but from pretty early on afterwards, he was basically a soldier that repeatedly expressed how he had faith in people to do the right thing, to believe in rehabilitation and redemption in people like Selina Kyle, and if anything was an optimist when it came to being Batman. He's not really a brooder except for some very specific reasons to be.

Aside from being more 'comic-like', I think that maybe the next Batman should also show a little more slightly evil enjoyment from scaring the carp out of people and getting out some aggression on them.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #56
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm not a big fan of Christopher Nolan, but him being the producer of this film gives me the hope that Man of Steel will be a good movie. I really want this movie to have that emotional depth, the heart. I just hope this movie wouldn't be that deep compare to the Dark Knight Trilogy. With that trilogy, I had to think and listen like all the time.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #57
shauner111
Side-Kick

LOL oh no, not thinking and listening! Why wouldn't you want MOS to be as deep? It's what this character needs at this point. Dont worry about the action, itll be there.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #58
db85usa
HeHe!

The ultimate movie is one that has a perfect balance of story, action, and character development. Its a huge challgenge to do this flawlessly. Lets hope Zack Snyder will deliver.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #59
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Not a fan of Nolan cuz he makes you think and listen................um ok. I dont want this to be a Crank movie, i would like to keep my brain on when i walk thru the door. That's what makes watching a movie more than once so entertaining, you catch things you didnt see before.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #60
ashleytdkr
Newbie First Class

In my opinion, tdkr left it perfect for batman to return, especially in a JL film. He doesn't have to return as Bruce, only Batman, and infact super and us should be the only ones who realise bruce/bale is under that cowl.

Remember there has to be a massive threat to the world that superman cannot stop alone for them to do a justice league. And from the feal of the MoS teaser, i can defiantely see nolans Batman in this world. And Batman would only be in his lar 30's maybe for early 40's, thats not a big issue.
Personally i think you only need 5 heroes for the film.

Batman - Christian Bale or JGL
Superman - Henry Cavill
Wonder Woman -
The Flash -
Martian Manhunter -

Wonder Woman should be set in the WWII times, showing the tale of Steve Trevor crashing on the Themyscira, and her going back to that mans world. There she would fall in love with Steve and would help Steve in defeating a fair amount of Nazi's causing carnage to the world, only for her to witness Steve be killed. There she should show that unlike other heroes, she will use deadly force. There she should develop a love/hate relationship wih the mans world and return to the Themyscira, unaware that one day the World will need her once more, hence her returning for the Justice League.

Set a Martian Manhunter movie set in the 1970s or early 1980s. Make J'onn J'onzz detective John Jones and have him hunt down serial killers. Call the movie Manhunter. The reason for setting the movie in the 70s or 80s is to set it away from modern CSI and forensics. Using DNA to solve criminal cases only came about in the late 1980s, and this movie would predate that. Maybe take inspiration from movies like Se7en and Kiss The Girls. Make it a phsycological thriller with a rating of PG-13. John Jones would have to rely on his telepathy to catch the killer. At the same time he learns about the human condition. Bring in his love for oreos and his fear of fire.

Throw the Flash straight into the JL movie. Have us not see how he gots his powers, and show us that he hasn't really been being a hero, like he hasn't faced off major threats like Batman and Supes. Throw in an easter egg like he once stoped a mad man obsessed with cyrogenics (captain cold) trying to freeze a work office or something and stoped a hostage situation a mecernary held (captain boomerang).

JL Plot: An unknown alien army travels to earth to invade the secret location of the Themyscira. The armys leader is interested in the olympian gods, as he claims to be a god himself. Destroying the Themyscira, Diana escapes with the aid of Kal-El. The Alien God (Darkseid) decides to set his sites on taking over the whole earth (after discovering the earth holds meany secrets and holds a higher purpose), causing the earths heroes to resurface/surface to team up to protect the earth.

ashleytdkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #61
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Nah, they should create their own unique Batman for that JL universe, and let Nolan's trilogy close the doors like it wants to.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #62
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I'm not a big fan of Christopher Nolan, but him being the producer of this film gives me the hope that Man of Steel will be a good movie. I really want this movie to have that emotional depth, the heart. I just hope this movie wouldn't be that deep compare to the Dark Knight Trilogy. With that trilogy, I had to think and listen like all the time.
I'm so sorry you had to endure that.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #63
JAK®
Upstart

That's silly, Nolan movies don't force you to think, they tell you exactly what to think through monologues that explain the themes of the movie so that nobody gets lost.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #64
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
That's silly, Nolan movies don't force you to think, they tell you exactly what to think through monologues that explain the themes of the movie so that nobody gets lost.
Unfortunately that would still require the person above to "listen all the time" lol

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #65
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
I guess you missed Inception.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #66
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley2004 View Post
I guess you missed Inception.
His most ambiguous movie, but it still had a lot of exposition, which was understandable given the concept.

Not that I'm knocking Nolan's movies but I can't have people complaining that they are subtle.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #67
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post

Quote:
His most ambiguous movie, but it still had a lot of exposition, which was understandable given the concept.

Not that I'm knocking Nolan's movies but I can't have people complaining that they are subtle.
Yeah, subtle is certainly not his favorite shade of paint.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #68
Karelia
We Are Groot

First thing I thought after the teaser was "Superman Begins" which is not a bad thing at all. BB is my favorite CBM.

After watching the CC teaser though, it looks like it has the potential to be the most epic CBM to date.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #69
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I'd say it's much more Terrance Malick than Christopher Nolan. Grounded and still sublimely beautiful.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #70
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I'd say it's much more Terrance Malick than Christopher Nolan. Grounded and still sublimely beautiful.
I think both Snyder and Nolan compromised on that particular style for MoS -- Malick's approach meshes perfectly for a character like Superman.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #71
zman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
There is no more Nolan's Batman after TDKR.

Not to give the ending away, but it doesn't leave any room for the character to continue beyond that point. It wouldn't make sense.

It ends.
...wow as someone who hasn't seen the movie yet, thanks a lot for this very spoilery reply...sigh...

zman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #72
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
...wow as someone who hasn't seen the movie yet, thanks a lot for this very spoilery reply...sigh...
It's true......he's turned into a rabbit.

Sorry you had to find out this way.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #73
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Bwahahaha

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #74
The Guard
Side-Kick

Superman Starts.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #75
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Tree Of Kypton