The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #76
thegameq
Side-Kick

Default Re: With MOS looking to have the a tone similar to BB... Does that open the doors a c

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
Its going to be a journey of self discovery. Why am I here? Do I want to be the person I am supposed to be? What is my purpose in life?
Ugh...is this movie a big screen continuation of Smallville? God I hope this isn't a "woe is me...I don't fit in. I'm so alientated" version of Superman. Please tell me the New 52 Supes isn't built on this premise.

Superman is not the X-men...

Last edited by thegameq; 07-23-2012 at 04:00 PM.
thegameq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #77
Viciousjay
Side-Kick

Default Re: With MOS looking to have the a tone similar to BB... Does that open the doors a c

i PRAY IT HAS THE BB FEEL!!!! im getting married 6 days before this comes out and needless to say i already told my fiancee there is no honeymoon till i see this first!

Viciousjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #78
MOS2013
Banned User

In a sense a BB is a good thing, I mean it needs to be its own film, its own interpretation, no more piggybacking off the Reeve films.

MOS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #79
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegameq View Post
Ugh...is this movie a big screen continuation of Smallville? God I hope this isn't a "woe is me...I don't fit in.
Nah c'mon....it's like all of Smallville condensed into a third of the movie. Much better.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 07-23-2012 at 04:31 PM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #80
thegameq
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Nah c'mon....it's like all of Smallville cnodensed into a third of the movie. Much better.

Honestly, I don't get the fascination with deconstructing this character. Superman is about wonder and adventure--not angst. What's so hard about simply focusing on Superman and his incredible adventures and villains?

Jesus..I never thought I would see the day when people want Superman to be given the angst treatment.

"woe is I, I don't fit in with any body. My powers make me an outcast. wahhh!"

It felt forced and awkward in Smallville and I suspect it will probably feel similar to a large part of the GA. It simply isn't what Superman is...

I've heard it said a few times in the DC boards and the Superman boards: Superman is not a Marvel character....why this fascinaton with deconstructing him and making him an X-man is dissappointing. Have writers and artist truly run out of things to explore with this character?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #81
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Honestly, I don't get the fascination with deconstructing this character. Superman is about wonder and adventure--not angst. What's so hard about simply focusing on Superman and his incredible adventures and villains?

Jesus..I never thought I would see the day when people want Superman to be given the angst treatment.

It felt forced and awkward in Smallville and I suspect it will probably feel similar to a large part of the GA. It simply isn't what Superman is...

I've heard it said a few times in the DC boards and the Superman boards: Superman is not a Marvel character....why this fascinaton with deconstructing him and making him an X-man is dissappointing. Have writers and artist truly run out of things to explore with this character?
Like what, for example...character-wise?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #82
thegameq
Side-Kick

Quote:
Like what, for example...character-wise?
Show Clark being the mild-mannered, intelligent, confident beat reporter out to get a scoop--or scoop Lois Lane. Show the discoveries or adventures it gets him in. Make Clark the identity and Supes the disguise.

Underneath the cosutme, he's your average guy. Don't put him on a pedestal, humanize him--do this through Clark and the eyes of those around him. Take away the christ-like, savior references.

You make him relatable by making him the underdog, one of us. You make him awesome by making him Superman. He's been raised as a human afterall. Show it.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #83
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Show Clark being the mild-mannered, intelligent, confident beat reporter out to get a scoop--or scoop Lois Lane. Show the discoveries or adventures it gets him in. Make Clark the identity and Supes the disguise.

Underneath the cosutme, he's your average guy. Don't put him on a pedestal, humanize him--do this through Clark and the eyes of those around him. Take away the christ-like, savior references.

You make him relatable by making him the underdog, one of us. You make him awesome by making him Superman. He's been raised as a human afterall. Show it.

They already did that on TV in some series with Teri Hatcher, I believe...and I think some teen soap in recent years...

Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #84
JAKŪ
Upstart

Making Superman the disguise is an awful idea, and it ruined the character when it was first introduced in 1986.

The only 'disguise' is Clark Kent, the reporter. He changes his appearance and personality to fit in as a normal human being.

When he is with his loved ones and when he is Superman, that is the real person. He is still called Clark Kent, and that is the person he was raised as, but when he became Superman it was like a rebirth. He still goes by Clark but he is Superman.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #85
db85usa
HeHe!

We could possibly see a story more focused on Kal-El/Clark than Superman. Imagine a Clark Kent who has disappeared from society only to get more powerful the more he helps people.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #86
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:

sorry thats not interesting and fairly boring why do people just want the movie to start with clark in costume punching zod

it is like you fans want no substance to your movies?

Clark is questioning what his place in this world is because he has been met with fear and rejection and his powers might have hurt people he loved in the past

this is so much more interesting than SUPER-SMASH

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #87
The Guard
Side-Kick

There's no reason both Clark and Superman can't function as the disguise.

Clark as a disguise for Superman...and Superman as a disguise for Clark.

People have obsessed over which is the "real person" for long enough.

There needs to be a balance found that allows for both. Or all three. He is Kal-El, Clark, and Superman.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #88
BigA
Side-Kick

I hope MOS has a BB feel. I think it will be a great way to kick off the reboot. Add Zack Snyder signature action (without overdoing the slo-mo) and we can be in for a great movie. I think we got a great idea of that with the CC footage.

BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #89
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post

There needs to be a balance found that allows for both. Or all three. He is Kal-El, Clark, and Superman.
The thing is that there is no real distinction between Clark and Superman. The real Clark that is.

But the Clark Kent that the public knows is a disguise. There is nothing real about him. He is pretending to be a normal man, but he is not, and never has been.

To his friends and family he is Clark, because that's his name. He was raised with it. This persona does not change when he is Superman. It's a meaningless distinction.

It's just silly to suggest that a persona where he wears glasses he does not need, puts on weaknesses that he does not have, and has secrets that he does not share, is somehow the real person.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #90
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I always felt that Clark at his old home in Smallville was the 'real' person combined.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #91
thegameq
Side-Kick

Quote:
They already did that on TV in some series with Teri Hatcher, I believe...and I think some teen soap in recent years...

And it worked. It took Superman off the pedestal and showed him as a regular person--complete with the foibles of a normal person.

Honestly KM it feels like this new version of Superman is reaching and trying to make something out of nothing: he's an alien, he's an outcast, he doesn't understand his destiny, where does he fit in....really?...

Do those thing really sound like they fit Superman...or does it sound like its been taken from another character(s) and that it's been tried with Superman.

It just sounds like they are trying to hard to reinvent this character. Honestly, what's next? He'll be labeled a vigilante and hunted by the military or forced to register with the government?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #92
thegameq
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
sorry thats not interesting and fairly boring why do people just want the movie to start with clark in costume punching zod

it is like you fans want no substance to your movies?

Clark is questioning what his place in this world is because he has been met with fear and rejection and his powers might have hurt people he loved in the past

this is so much more interesting than SUPER-SMASH
I didn't realize I was asking for a Bay directed Superman film...

My point is that the "woe is me" interpretation of Superman sounds like a stretch and feels out of place for Superman.

Superman is not Bruce Banner.

Superman is not an X-man.

Superman is adventure.

Superman's attraction is the things he can do. Mix that in with making him one of us and and there you go.

Superman does not need to become the latest angst ridden, brooding character.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #93
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
I didn't realize I was asking for a Bay directed Superman film...
Well....we are kinda' getting one....but with a story idea from Nolan and Goyer.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #94
JAKŪ
Upstart

Snyder is not comparable to Bay.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #95
LaserBees
Likes Man of Steel

Quote:

I like this approach more than just Clark being the disguise. I mean, he was raised Clark Kent in Kansas his whole life. You don't just suddenly stop being that.

But I think the best way is that neither is a disguise. I've personally known several musicians, police officers, and ministers who are big and bold on stage or in their profession, but when you spend time with them personally they're reserved and sometimes awkward.

Maybe that's how Superman is. Saving people and defeating bad guys is him in his element, but in social situations he's out of his element and naturally somewhat reserved and awkward. But both ways he's being authentic.

LaserBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #96
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserBees View Post
I like this approach more than just Clark being the disguise. I mean, he was raised Clark Kent in Kansas his whole life. You don't just suddenly stop being that.
Well, he doesn't. The Superman persona is an extension of his upbringing in Kansas. He is still known as Clark by his friends and family.

But Clark Kent as a civilian is definitely a disguise. Because, well, he disguises himself. He changes his appearance and hides his abilities and true personality. It's silly to suggest that a person who does that sees that identity as being the real one.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #97
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Snyder is not comparable to Bay.
I'd say they've both shared a certain style-pver-substance stigma...Bay more hollow (and more successful), perhaps, but questioning auteurship beyond visuals wasn't exactly rare with either.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #98
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
I'd say they've both shared a certain style-pver-substance stigma...Bay more hollow (and more successful), perhaps, but questioning auteurship beyond visuals wasn't exactly rare with either.
I'd say the only movie Snyder has made that was style over substance was Sucker Punch. That's because it was basically an exercise in self-indulgence, just like Peter Jackson's King Kong. A film that cannot stand beyond it's director's desires.

300 was very actiony but only as much as the graphic novel it was based off. The flashy style fit perfectly with the point of the story, that history is clouded by the point of view of the participants.

Watchmen managed to tackle the substance of the original novel perfectly, even if Snyder's interpretation of it differed from most. The film suffered because of pacing, not a lack of depth.

Snyder is still growing as a director so he has a lot to learn but comparing him to Michael Bay is unfair.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #99
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
I'd say the only movie Snyder has made that was style over substance was Sucker Punch. That's because it was basically an exercise in self-indulgence, just like Peter Jackson's King Kong. A film that cannot stand beyond it's director's desires.

300 was very actiony but only as much as the graphic novel it was based off. The flashy style fit perfectly with the point of the story, that history is clouded by the point of view of the participants.

Watchmen managed to tackle the substance of the original novel perfectly, even if Snyder's interpretation of it differed from most. The film suffered because of pacing, not a lack of depth.

Snyder is still growing as a director so he has a lot to learn but comparing him to Michael Bay is unfair.
Personally, I put Snyder over Bay as well, but there was a fair share of balking when he was announced as director...and I feel there still would be even moreso if it wasn't a story/script idea provided by Nolan. Watchmen and Sucker Punch I felt were unbearable for different reasons on their own, but that's another discussion. The point was that without the known attachment of Nolan, like Bay there were things that made him very much not a candidate in the minds of some folks.

What I find a little strange is when some feel that he'll somehow adjust his 'style' to fit a more 'realistic' (for lack of a better term) nature with this movie...like we'll be getting a considerably un-Snyder-like Snyder movie. If anything, and this would even go for Bay, I hope that he does what he feels best with and not feel like he needs to hold back or do something that's not 'his thing'. Like you don't hire a metal guitarist for a jazz session. So I've been more open to this being very much a Snyder film than other may be...like chaperoning Nolan's vision into eth Superman world with some action flair added for good measure.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #100
66 Face
Side-Kick

Quote:

Thats the best way to put it and IMO both Kent and Superman should be disguises for Kal-El.

I'm not sure if I like a Superman movie having the same tone as a Batman movie. The two worlds should be really different and that contrast is what would make for a cool future movie.

I'm hoing it has more of a Planet of the Apes type feel. SciFi and realism but more of a lighter tone than the Batman movies.