The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #676
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddsy View Post
It's a pretty known thing that Strange, BP, Inhumans and Ant-Man (now confirmed) are what they've been developing. As well as having completed scripts floating around for a Fury movie, and Widow movie.

I think it speaks to the type of person he is, and his beliefs in equality. Which is the point I was making -- if Falcon and WM aren't big players in AoU it's not a racist slight. You can think of it as a missed opportunity, sure. But not a racist backhand to black superheroes.

They've included WM in two IM movies with a hint at him in the origin. And they've now included Falcon in a movie with some substance, and walked away from the back story that some could have misread (a black pimp) by people looking too deep into it.

I have no doubt in my mind that black and female superheroes will get their due with Marvel. But they also want to focus on making the best movies possible and continuing to keep Marvel Studios a viable business and a big part of pop culture. If WM or Falcon don't fit the story ofAoU, then so be it.
Sure, all that's fine....but how *the* hell would it actually hurt Avengers 2 to include 2 (already) popular black superheroes in a movie that's about putting together Earth's Mightiest Heroes? If WM is redundant "because Iron Man," then what *the* hell would it hurt the Avengers' chances to have TWO Iron Men on the team to fight Ultron? How could it possibly *hurt* their chances to defeat Ultron if Falcon was on the team?

Weigh the positives against the negatives. The positives of adding WM and Falcon are that you expand the audience for the movie, you impress the fanboys with nods to actual comic-book canon, you increase the logic and believability of the storyline by having the heroes get every swinging **** they can into the field to fight the good fight. The negatives? Hawkeye gets shafted (hah!) again, and the Klan boycotts the notion of black superheroes in CBMs.

What do you think is "best for business?"

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #677
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Sure, all that's fine....but how *the* hell would it actually hurt Avengers 2 to include 2 (already) popular black superheroes in a movie that's about putting together Earth's Mightiest Heroes? If WM is redundant "because Iron Man," then what *the* hell would it hurt the Avengers' chances to have TWO Iron Men on the team to fight Ultron? How could it possibly *hurt* their chances to defeat Ultron if Falcon was on the team?

Weigh the positives against the negatives. The positives of adding WM and Falcon are that you expand the audience for the movie, you impress the fanboys with nods to actual comic-book canon, you increase the logic and believability of the storyline by having the heroes get every swinging **** they can into the field to fight the good fight. The negatives? Hawkeye gets shafted (hah!) again, and the Klan boycotts the notion of black superheroes in CBMs.

What do you think is "best for business?"
It makes perfect sense from a pure fight standpoint. But you can't just include Falcon and WM showing up when the battle starts and then fly away. They have to be included the whole way and have character development and dialogue, etc. and with the first one it was already a big cast, and then you add SW/QS with Vision and then the rumors of possibly Danvers. BP, etc. and you can see where everything gets watered down and the movie itself can suffer AS A MOVIE.

Not to mention you have to actually pay Mackie and whoever else, which decreases budgets for other things, and takes away a possible film from their contract with him. They want to be precise about where they use those contracts, so they have options as they go ahead.

Evans is talking about saying bye bye after current deal, as is RDJ. You don't think Marvel wishes they had them on 15, 20, 100000 film deals. That has to be part of the thought process as well.

Huddsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #678
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Well, Falcon and Rhodey will probably be in Avengers 3 as it's going to take a lot more than the current team plus Danvers, QS, SW and Vision to take down Thanos.

Rhodey has been rumored for Avengers 3. He might be the one who is seriously injured, leading to Tony to wear the Iron Man suit again. Why are people forgetting that rumor?

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #679
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Yeah, I thought I remember reading an article saying Cheadle had been signed for AoU already...
Marvel has not made it official.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #680
Huddsy
Side-Kick

One more thing -- and this is PURE speculation. Marvel likes to go bigger and better, generally. And they like to try making fanboys like us get super stoked.

WHAT IF... they're saving all their marbles for Avengers 3? The way I look at it, the Avengers were a Fury-designed team who came together because they were a. forced in the beginning and b. had to int he end to save Earth. They've since gone their separate ways and had their solo missions/work/whatever.

I'd like to think of Avengers 2 as the beginning of "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" as Stark/Rogers bring them together at Avengers Tower -- the team -- Iron Man, Cap, Hawkeye, Widow, Hulk and Thor. This is the origin of that.

As we go through the fil, Vision likely gets added in his way (Ultron creates him, the body was built by Howard Stark. whatever theory you may have), and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver break away and join the team in their own time as they are able to in the story. But it's an origin of that original team.

With Avengers 3, they go bigger. Cap/Stark recruit AntMan, Strange, Falcon and War Machine are brought into the fold by their buds, etc. The need to grow to challenge Thanos becomes the obvious need. From there, moving past Avengers 3, I could see the team rotating like CRAZY.

Avengers 4 is Strange, Cap, Falcon, Vision and Ant Man. Avengers 5 is Iron Man, War Machine, Hulk, QuickSilver and Black Panther. So on and so forth. Not that the team changes, but more that they've widened the roster, they live at Avengers Tower/Mansion, and as different things arise, different teams are assembled for various missions. Brings some flavor to what Marvel can do.

Huddsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #681
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Mackie has himself stated he's not going to be in Avengers 2.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #682
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Well, Falcon and Rhodey will probably be in Avengers 3 as it's going to take a lot more than the current team plus Danvers, QS, SW and Vision to take down Thanos.

Rhodey has been rumored for Avengers 3. He might be the one who is seriously injured, leading to Tony to wear the Iron Man suit again. Why are people forgetting that rumor?

There you go again with the "maim/kill the Black guy to motivate the white hero" stuff. Female character have the fridge and Black guys get shoved into the freezer. That rumor originated as fan wankery, per usual.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #683
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
There you go again with the "maim/kill the Black guy to motivate the white hero" stuff. Female character have the fridge and Black guys get shoved into the freezer. That rumor originated as fan wankery, per usual.
I'm just following the Hollywood quota. They do this all of the time. I hope this is not the case, but it's Hollywood so you never know.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #684
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

So Falcon became out of my favourite heroes after watching TWS. Mackie absolutely kills as Falcon, and he's such a cool character!!

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #685
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I agree, Mackie absolute nailed it and had great chemistry with Evans. I don't know if they have signed him to a multi film contract but I sure hope so, he is just getting started!

The term "Maximizing your minutes" could not be truer in the case of The Falcon, he brings humour and plenty to the action, but on top of that you get a great sense of the kind of decent, loyal guy he is and what connects him and Steve.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #686
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I agree, Mackie absolute nailed it and had great chemistry with Evans. I don't know if they have signed him to a multi film contract but I sure hope so, he is just getting started!

The term "Maximizing your minutes" could not be truer in the case of The Falcon, he brings humour and plenty to the action, but on top of that you get a great sense of the kind of decent, loyal guy he is and what connects him and Steve.
Honestly, I hope Marvel would greenlight another movie and put superheroes like Falcon, WM, Hawkeye, and other great supporting characters together. I think they need more screentime but with just 2 movies out per year, it's hard to give superheroes like Falcon the development they deserved.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #687
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Quote:
Going in, I'd never heard of Falcon, and I came out thinking that he could be one of my new favourite characters in the MCU. Can't think of higher praise than that. He reminds me a lot of Coulson - not in it much but had a huge presence in the movie

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
His fight with Rumlow was pretty spectacular too

Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
Old 03-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #688
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I don't think it's necessarily a race/gender thing. It's a pretty common motivating agent for characters of all types. When Coulson was offed in The Avengers or Happy was injured in Iron Man 3, no one batted an eyelid. If anything, it feels less progressive to suggest that certain beats should only be open to white dudes.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #689
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Honestly, I hope Marvel would greenlight another movie and put superheroes like Falcon, WM, Hawkeye, and other great supporting characters together. I think they need more screentime but with just 2 movies out per year, it's hard to give superheroes like Falcon the development they deserved.
I'd love to see a a movie with that trio at the center, especially now things are up in the air as to who they'd be working for, they could even come at the story from separate perspectives that intersect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoy-small-fry View Post
Going in, I'd never heard of Falcon, and I came out thinking that he could be one of my new favourite characters in the MCU. Can't think of higher praise than that. He reminds me a lot of Coulson - not in it much but had a huge presence in the movie

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
His fight with Rumlow was pretty spectacular too
I knew the character but I think the way they worked him into the movie really made him so much more interesting to me than before, Mackie took every scene he had and made it count.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 03-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #690
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Pretty sure they do that with everyone...especially the people playing superheroes.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #691
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Pretty sure they do that with everyone...especially the people playing superheroes.
That's good to hear, it's just Mackie seemed a little unsure about it in an interview I saw.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #692
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

For me Falcon was the stand out character in this movie, Mackie gave him such heart and played him super charismatic but at the same so earnest.

PLEASE give us more of Anthony Mackies FALCON Marvel!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #693
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Mackie had an interview with the Kevin & Bean morning show on KROQ this Friday, and he revealed that he wrote a letter every 6 months for about 5 years to Marvel asking for a role, and they finally gave him the role of Falcon. You have to give him props for persistence.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:05 AM   #694
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestDay View Post
For me Falcon was the stand out character in this movie, Mackie gave him such heart and played him super charismatic but at the same so earnest.

PLEASE give us more of Anthony Mackies FALCON Marvel!!!!!!!!!!
I really hope he's back for at least Cap 3, and hopefully Avengers 3. He's such an awesome character!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #695
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

For those who've seen it, did Mackie really play it as if Falcon and Widow had something going on?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #696
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
For those who've seen it, did Mackie really play it as if Falcon and Widow had something going on?
No, they barely interacted at all.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #697
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
No, they barely interacted at all.
Aw, man.

I was seriously hoping he wasn't completely joking about that.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #698
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

on your left....

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #699
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Considering what the cartoons have been doing we'll more than likely see Mr. Wilson in the third Avengers.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #700
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

here we go again... always people who think race and racism is the underlying premise to everything in life...

those who shout "racism" are usually the most racists people...

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote