Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default The TDKR Box Office Thread II

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Default Re: The TDKR Box Office Thread II

I just wish The Watch wasn't coming out the following weekend. Not only does it look really great (and hilarious), but it's perfect counter-programming for TDKR and will take away some of the repeat viewers.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Reek
Pork Sausage

Default Re: The TDKR Box Office Thread II - Part 2

I'm more concerned with Step Up 12.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Patty
this is an OUTRAGE!

The Watch looks MAD funny. I want to see that and (possibly) Ted, if it is more like American Dad! (YAY!) than Family Guy (BOO!)

Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Art Damage
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I just wish The Watch wasn't coming out the following weekend. Not only does it look really great (and hilarious), but it's perfect counter-programming for TDKR and will take away some of the repeat viewers.
I think word of mouth will be so huge for TDKR that while people will go see the Watch I'm sure, it won't take away from the huge success it'll have in the following weeks. It'll be number one for awhile I'm sure!

- The Joker
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Damage View Post
I think word of mouth will be so huge for TDKR that while people will go see the Watch I'm sure, it won't take away from the huge success it'll have in the following weeks. It'll be number one for awhile I'm sure!
If its anything like TDK, the second weekend will be huge. I didn't see TDK until the second weekend, but the theater was as crowded as any opening weekend.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
theShape
Creature of Darkness

What's out the week after The Watch?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
It will find an audience. It's a slightly different demographic, it's a rated R film, and if I remember correctly Step Brothers did pretty well in the wake of TDK.

FWIW, I totally agree with you on the Watch, and I am hoping that is the comedy hit of the summer.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
The Watch looks MAD funny. I want to see that and (possibly) Ted, if it is more like American Dad! (YAY!) than Family Guy (BOO!)
Sorry but Family Guy > American Dad. Even though both shows suck nowadays imo, Family Guys at least get a few laughs out of me but on American Dad the only one who even gets a chuckle out of me is Roger. Family Guy, and television animation in general, was brilliant around the period of 01-04.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Sorry but Family Guy > American Dad. Even though both shows suck nowadays imo, Family Guys at least get a few laughs out of me but on American Dad the only one who even gets a chuckle out of me is Roger. Family Guy, and television animation in general, was brilliant around the period of 01-04.
And Ted is just like Family Guy...and American Dad is just like Family Guy...so all three are quite similar.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Dr. Strange
Banned User

It's annoying when these websites say Dark Knight will be Huuuge! only to add it will enjoy the second highest OW only after The Avengers.

For me, if the avengers ow is not broken, it's a loss. To come this far and lose by this peanuts of a margin is a waste of a great opportunity.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strange View Post
It's annoying when these websites say Dark Knight will be Huuuge! only to add it will enjoy the second highest OW only after The Avengers.

For me, if the avengers ow is not broken, it's a loss. To come this far and lose by this peanuts of a margin is a waste of a great opportunity.
But dude, it's really not a loss because Avengers not only had 3D ticket prices but also IMAX 3D prices. So in truth, it's not even a "fair fight" and anyone who thinks so is an idiot.

Still, if TDKR somehow does come out on top, it will be quite the achievement.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
joker1524
Side-Kick

My theatre has sold out all weekend shows...has this ever happened for any movie before in advanced?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Dr. Strange
Banned User

Quote:
But dude, it's really not a loss because Avengers not only had 3D ticket prices but also IMAX 3D prices. So in truth, it's not even a "fair fight" and anyone who thinks so is an idiot.

Still, if TDKR somehow does come out on top, it will be quite the achievement.
It's an unfair fight which TDKR has to win imho and to think it will be that close (190, 195, some say 200), I urge WB to pay the difference.

It's down to 91% fressh on RT, what's going on? Wasnt the Avengers like 93% or something?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
joker1524
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's an unfair fight which TDKR has to win imho and to think it will be that close (190, 195, some say 200), I urge WB to pay the difference.

It's down to 91% fressh on RT, what's going on? Wasnt the Avengers like 93% or something?
Yes and tdk was at 94 so no worries and theres more positive reviews that havent gone up yet

Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Juicy J
Side-Kick

I personally think that if any movie can beat the Avengers record, it's TDKR. I could see it going either way. I'm a Marvel fan first and foremost, but I won't be even remotely surprised if the weekend figures come in and it's secured the OW record.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:

...Uh, a loss for who exactly ?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Dr. Strange
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
...Uh, a loss for who exactly ?
for everyone who has been linked with and worked on this movie, and for us the fans whether we like to admit it or not.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
Dr. Strange
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I personally think that if any movie can beat the Avengers record, it's TDKR. I could see it going either way. I'm a Marvel fan first and foremost, but I won't be even remotely surprised if the weekend figures come in and it's secured the OW record.
It's going to be close but everyone says the avengers has the advantage of 3D and will come on top / edge the battle of reigning the box office records.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
DoomsdayApex
Æzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I would. TDKR has no 3D boost, so I'm convinced that it won't cross the 200 million mark. If it even reaches 195 million, I'll have a heart attack.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
El KnightoDarko
Side-Kick

Quote:

You're not one of those guys that cheats on a test and feels smart when the results are announced, are you ?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:

Dude..its not that serious. I doubt the WB brass would be banging their heads against walls in frustration if TDKR accrues 190 million instead of 200 mill. Its bound to become the biggest 2D film of all time but oh no, it didnt beat the Avengers. The horror!...the only people who care about the figures that badly are fanboys who seek bragging rights for this ridiculous Marvel vs DC thing.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
for everyone who has been linked with and worked on this movie, and for us the fans whether we like to admit it or not.
I promise you that not a single person outside this fandom will shed a tear over TDKR coming in second to The Avengers.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Don't you know everyone that makes movies makes them for no reason other than to be the biggest, best-reviewed movie ever? And the only truly happy filmmaker is James Cameron two times?