The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #401
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

This movie has one of the best Batman soundtracks ever. Listened to it today. Really fantastic stuff, especially the finale material. Right up there with the soundtrack to MOTP.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #402
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Agreed. Elfman's score is a big reason why this film works as well as it does.

Free Original Music
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #403
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
One of the best scenes in any batman movie.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #404
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

As a kid, it took me a while to realise that we were looking at the bat signal up through a sewer in that last shot.

It has a weird vertigo feeling about it. It's just so off kilter.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #405
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

I love this film as well, but never felt it was a natural progression from the far superior 1989 film.

Batman 89 was a timeless film that had a classical comic book sensibility about it. This didn't follow the world of Batman 89 as well as it could have. It went from being a fun human/crime drama to something else in Batman Returns. There were a lot of weird choices made for this film that didn't seem to fit with its precursor.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #406
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick

Interesting, all people have to do to figure out Bruce Wayne is batman is look at the Egyptian trick lights he has installed on his mansion.

http://www.vimeo.com/13170472
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #407
shauner111
Side-Kick

It's one of the best scenes from the burton films. visually it's awesome but it makes zero sense haha.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #408
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
Interesting, all people have to do to figure out Bruce Wayne is batman is look at the Egyptian trick lights he has installed on his mansion.
Well, people just don't walk by Wayne Manor. Whenever there are visitors the lights can be hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
It's one of the best scenes from the burton films. visually it's awesome but it makes zero sense haha.
Apparently Batman himself gave the bat-signal to the police to call him if they needed him. Sure, a little far-fetched but it does make a little sense.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #409
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

that is such a visually striking scene. Bruce has no purpose in life. Nothing to do AT ALL and when the signal comes out, Bruce is like "OH, NOW IT'S ON, LET'S KICK SOME ASS."

Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #410
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
that is such a visually striking scene. Bruce has no purpose in life. Nothing to do AT ALL and when the signal comes out, Bruce is like "OH, NOW IT'S ON, LET'S KICK SOME ASS."

Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #411
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
I love this film as well, but never felt it was a natural progression from the far superior 1989 film.

Batman 89 was a timeless film that had a classical comic book sensibility about it. This didn't follow the world of Batman 89 as well as it could have. It went from being a fun human/crime drama to something else in Batman Returns. There were a lot of weird choices made for this film that didn't seem to fit with its precursor.
It would've been nice to have gotten a true sequel to B89... but I wouldn't trade Batman Returns in for anything.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #412
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
It would've been nice to have gotten a true sequel to B89... but I wouldn't trade Batman Returns in for anything.
Yes. B89 was more cops vs gangsters and Returns was kind of a weird sci-fi-horror hybrid (not really sci-fi but unrealistic animal people are kind of odd)

Old 07-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #413
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Th Cool Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Quote:
I would trade it for a good burger.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #414
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Is that a joke Truer, or do you really not like this movie?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #415
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
There would never be a burger tasty enough.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #416
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Wink Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Is that a joke Truer, or do you really not like this movie?
In this case, sadly, he's being truthful.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #417
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
To me Returns was the superior film over-all. Here's the thing when you hire a director like Burton why would you want anything else but his signature style? It's like hiring Tarantino to direct a non-tarantino-ish movie?

To me Returns was the movie he always wanted to direct for Batman and i think it reflected that well. It was Batman through the prism of Burton which is what you should expect. B89 was sort of a half-measure in that regards.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #418
Dave McFly
Ron is on to you

for Pfeiffer-Phan (courtesy of Kane)

PSN ID: davemcfly85
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #419
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

I love Michelle P's Catwoman.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #420
regwec
Shakespearo

Yep, she rocked. I hope so much oneday to see a great movie Catwoman again.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #421
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
Look at it this way according to John "Robin" Blake it's even easier for someone to figure out Bruce Wayne is Batman just by a certain look on his face, Impressive for someone who has never seen Batman in person at that point.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #422
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Keaton's little eyebrow raise when the signal is lit is like borderline camp (it's the type of thing I could totally imagine Adam West doing), but it's just subtle enough that he totally makes it work. Just something I noticed after watching that gif on a loop a few times, heh.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #423
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Look at it this way according to John "Robin" Blake it's even easier for someone to figure out Bruce Wayne is Batman just by a certain look on his face, Impressive for someone who has never seen Batman in person at that point.
To be honest, in Nolan's world, Bats is using high tech vehicles and gear even more than Burton's batmobile which was a lot more subtle. Only somebody with money has that. He's a dark shadowy character. Anybody who is REALLY wanting to investigate who he is or uses their brains could see that Bruce is hiding something. And obviously we see that everyone is just turning a blind eye, way too much corruption.

Look, Keaton's Bruce Wayne was barely shown in Wayne Enterprises. Journalists didn't even know his parents were murdered. Batman was more subtle in that universe. It's harder to figure out. But when you have lights outside your mansion, how can anyone NOT put two and two together?

In the Nolan-verse everyone knows Bruce's history with his parents. His disappearing acts. Blake is an orphan so he knows how to hide. Anybody with a focused brain on solving it will look at Wayne and go "well considering his riches, his history with murdered parents, this guy is hiding something...if there was a guy who can afford all these wonderful toys with darkness behind it all...im gonna predict that it's Bruce Wayne".

Now off the subject of that.

Keaton's face when the signal shows up is borderline campy but it works. It's an iconic moment. Might be the best shot from Batman Returns. But the lights set up outside of Wayne Manor is still a pretty goofy concept.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #424
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
To be honest, in Nolan's world, Bats is using high tech vehicles and gear even more than Burton's batmobile which was a lot more subtle. Only somebody with money has that. He's a dark shadowy character. Anybody who is REALLY wanting to investigate who he is or uses their brains could see that Bruce is hiding something. And obviously we see that everyone is just turning a blind eye, way too much corruption.
I know that it's pretty obvious in BB that Wayne was Batman. He disappeared for seven years and even declared dead without any explanation as to why one of the richest people on the planet disappeared off the face of the Earth. Then suddenly returns (without any explanation) around the same time Batman appears using technology that could only be from Wayne Enterprises. I'm surprtised Gordon never picked up on it. And yes Coleman Reese was one of the few who used his "brains" and figured out Bruce was Batman.

Quote:
Look, Keaton's Bruce Wayne was barely shown in Wayne Enterprises. Journalists didn't even know his parents were murdered. Batman was more subtle in that universe. It's harder to figure out. But when you have lights outside your mansion, how can anyone NOT put two and two together?
Well apparantly Selina didn't notice on her date with Bruce. So not everyone's going to "put two and two together"when visiting Wayne Manor.

Quote:
In the Nolan-verse everyone knows Bruce's history with his parents. His disappearing acts. Blake is an orphan so he knows how to hide. Anybody with a focused brain on solving it will look at Wayne and go "well considering his riches, his history with murdered parents, this guy is hiding something...if there was a guy who can afford all these wonderful toys with darkness behind it all...im gonna predict that it's Bruce Wayne".
With all those clues I'm surprised Gordon never "put two and two together". Plenty of people complained about that moment where Blake confronts Bruce. Some had a hard time swallowing Blake's explanation b/c he and Bruce shared a similar look when hiding something. It doesn't help Blake's argument either b/c at that point he's never seen Batman before. Btw, I understand what the scene was going for. It just could've been executed a bit better, imo.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #425
shauner111
Side-Kick

It's not about Gordon putting two and two together "I never cared who you were". He never cared to think too much about it, he obviously made that decision. It was like that in the comics. He doesn't want to know. But when Bats tells him, he's shocked because he's thinking "That dumbass billionaire? Wow.."

Closed Thread