The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #176
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Default Re: Ant-Man Casting Thread

Jason Segal just doesn't come across lie he could play a genus scientist plus his not exactly in superhero shape. There are better candidates.

Quote:
Edgar Wright noted that the film would not be overtly comedic, but that it would be "more of a full-on action adventure sci-fi film but with a comedic element
From Empire Magazines Edgar Wright interview.

Basically the actor playing Hank Pym or Scott Lang needs to be able to pull off action and comedy like Chris Hemsworth and Robert Downey Jr do.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #177
multipleman
Newbie First Class

cause all scientists in real life have slim figures and look like an expensive hollywood actor??? really those whole francise is fantasy, oscar the grouch from seasame street could play ant-man if said disney people saw it fit to use him. You need to look beyond the template of what you think is the ideal actor, and think who would make it an interesting role.

Jason Segal is perfect for the role. The Ant-Man in the comics is actioned packed but the thing is, in order for a movie to work, there has got to be alot of comical moments for the character. Think honey i shrunk the kids or its sequel - being massively different sized is a comedy curse - if your the size of an ant or the size of a building. Segal would bring that comedy that comes with the weirdness of the ant-man story.

multipleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #178
multipleman
Newbie First Class

by the way - did you think Robert Downey Jr could play a scientist before he was iron? i mean he did alot of action/comedy drama roles. But scientist? then there is mark rufflo who played comedic roles??? seriously you dont think segal could do the same?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #179
marcvader
Lurker #1

I really never saw Tony Stark as a "scientist" to begin with as most of the comics never dwelled on him working in a lab or anything. His stories were usually after the fact of his creations and so you always went straight in to the action of his stories. Yes you knew he invented and designed things but it never centered on the creation part of these things, maybe one or two frames while guys like Richards seemed to always be doing stuff in the lab and therefor be easily identified as a scientist.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #180
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipleman View Post
by the way - did you think Robert Downey Jr could play a scientist before he was iron? i mean he did alot of action/comedy drama roles. But scientist? then there is mark rufflo who played comedic roles??? seriously you dont think segal could do the same?

RDJ did play intelligent roles before, and it's not just the intelligence he has to portray but the whole Stark persona of confidence and arrogance etc. He comes across naturally like that. He already seemed very cerebral and sharp even in shows like Ally McBeal where he was a lawyer.

Like I said before, Jason Segel doesn't come off as naturally intelligent as even his HIMYM co-stars. There's a certain way actors have of articulating themselves or even other subtle nuances. While he plays a lawyer, he seems more of a goofy, almost slightly dumb lawyer who doesn't even sound super intelligent. Of the three HIMYM male leads, he comes off as the least intelligent and sharp-minded of the three.

I don't think you want to be looking to Honey I Shrunk The Kids as an example for Ant-Man anyway. That's the stigma it already has to get over so you don't want to try to emphasise that association even more. Edgar Wright has said it's not an overt comedy but more of a straight up action flick with some comedic elements.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #181
marcvader
Lurker #1

I like Jason Segal a lot but he comes off as a slacker goofball in everything he does and in real life.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #182
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I don't think you want to be looking to Honey I Shrunk The Kids as an example for Ant-Man anyway. That's the stigma it already has to get over so you don't want to try to emphasise that association even more. Edgar Wright has said it's not an overt comedy but more of a straight up action flick with some comedic elements.
There are many reasons Ant-Man is in a significantly different ballpark than Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.
1. The 25 year difference in graphics... CGI in general.
2. Honey was PG, Ant-Man will be PG-13.
3. Joe Johnston vs. Edgar Wright. Nuff said? Well, its also the difference between family humor and intelligent (somewhat British) humor.
4. Ant-Man won't employ child actors.

The two should not be compared. And I agree we don't need to emphasize this association.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #183
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Ant-Man isn't real life his a fictional scientist and is a superhero and thus in good shape.

The tone of Ant-Man will be the same as Iron Man and Thor which had action but also humorous dialogue and some slapstick jokes like Thor walking into doors or Tony's thrusters sending him flying into his cars.

Segal may be a fine comedic drama actor but it would questionable if he could pull off a action lead as well. There are better candidates for the roll many of which have been listed in this thread.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #184
marcvader
Lurker #1

Casting Segal would be akin to casting Rogan as Green Hornet.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #185
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Casting Segal would be akin to casting Rogan as Green Hornet.
Agreed. Good call.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #186
multipleman
Newbie First Class

bah, listen to yourselves. Your blinkered by what actors have done in past movies and no faith in what they can do if they pushed themselves - look at Jim Carrey - funny man - would you ever think he would do a horror film, or even thriller, or even romance? he changed his image.

I think your all being a bit to hard on segal and not really thinking about possibilities. Does Henry Pymm need to be supersmart? do we need another reed richards character in the movies - original huh. all im saying consider it.

Now what about Larry David he could play ant-man... im joking.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #187
marcvader
Lurker #1

There isn't a Reed Richards in the movies. I'd rather that pushing and discovering their acting chops be done in something small and not a role that is or will be in something big.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #188
multipleman
Newbie First Class

Incidently i heard that fantastic four reboot is going to be designed for an avengers 3 movie. just a rumour - you never know what you hear these days on the internet as true.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #189
Silvermoth
Avenger

It's funny how there are lots of leading men who are bad at comedy but a few who are quite good at it. Alec Baldwin is quite good at comedy. So is Jon Hamm.

Neither would be the right fit for Ant Man I guess.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #190
ironmaidenrules
Side-Kick

Let Jason segal test his acting in indie comedies. I know he has talent but I don't like his look for Pym. Too boyish like some kind of an imbecile.

ironmaidenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #191
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmaidenrules View Post
Let Jason segal test his acting in indie comedies. I know he has talent but I don't like his look for Pym. Too boyish like some kind of an imbecile.
I don't know if it's too boyish. It's more that, as Marcvader mentioned above, he comes across as a slacker goofball and it reflects in his face. The scenes in HIMYM where he's goofing around with his brothers or drunk, or generally being an idiot seem more naturally believable than where he's supposed to be doing something intelligent.

And if you even listen to him speak compared to NPH or Josh Radnor, it really doesn't matter what they say. Segel still doesn't sound as intelligent as them.

And BTW everyone, I thought it's Segel not Segal.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #192
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipleman View Post
bah, listen to yourselves. Your blinkered by what actors have done in past movies and no faith in what they can do if they pushed themselves - look at Jim Carrey - funny man - would you ever think he would do a horror film, or even thriller, or even romance? he changed his image.

I think your all being a bit to hard on segal and not really thinking about possibilities. Does Henry Pymm need to be supersmart? do we need another reed richards character in the movies - original huh. all im saying consider it.

Now what about Larry David he could play ant-man... im joking.
You have a point--most people were saying a guy like Michael Keaton could never pull off Batman.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #193
Silvermoth
Avenger

Yeah but they said that about Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern. Sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #194
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmaidenrules View Post
Then maybe he could play Eric O'Grady.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #195
VictorShade
Side-Kick

I mentioned this before elsewhere, but I think maybe 'the Dawson', James Vanderbeak could pull off a good Hank. NPH prob could as well, but he's hillarious and makes me laugh to much.When I see NPH's face, I think comey/humor autmatically.Wa do ya think?

Last edited by VictorShade; 09-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.
VictorShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #196
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Well he'd certainly sound intelligent enough, but he seems like a bit of a washed up TV star. What has he done these days except the odd cameo appearance here and there?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #197
VictorShade
Side-Kick

Don't know, just a thought.

VictorShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #198
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

How about Jude Law for Pym? The previous experience with RDJ would look good on screen too!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #199
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I really like the idea of Adam Scott

Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #200
marcvader
Lurker #1

Not bad.