The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Default Re: To Infinity and Beyond: The Thanos Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I don't see the Avengers going into space though and that's what you're talking about would require.
Avengers 2 should take place in many worlds IMO

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
Panther X
Side-Kick

So, this has been out for a while now, but Damion Poitier was the dude who played Thanos at the end of the Avengers. If the character is to be featured more prominently in GotG, is it likely for him to get replaced with a bigger name or will they decide to keep him (for the mocap at least)?

I think they should keep him on, he has a sort of Thonos-y look about him, if that's possible.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Avengers 2 should take place in many worlds IMO
Not happening.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #29
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Not happening.
I forgot, you work for marvel :P

And I would be shocked if every avengers movie stays on earth. Shocked.

Thanos is not an Earth character. He operates on a universal scale. If him as the villain means him attacking Earth, (which most likely wont happen anyway), it would not do the character justice, at all.

Last edited by jaqua99; 07-19-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #30
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Why would you be shocked? I honestly can't imagine Captain America in space in the movieverse. They're Earth's Mightiest Heroes for God's sake.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #31
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

It's not like I'm against it, it's just not something I see as realistically happening.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #32
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Why would you be shocked? I honestly can't imagine Captain America in space in the movieverse. They're Earth's Mightiest Heroes for God's sake.
Because its Thanos. Like I said, he operates on such a huge scale, Earth WILL NOT be the only threat when he is the primary villain. It won't.

Thanos' plans operate on such a huge scale, with all the build up that he has going for him in the universe, I don't see his big climax being an attack on Earth with the infinity gauntlet. do you know anything about Thanos?

I can totally see them setting it up where the Avengers, aka Earth's Mightiest Heroes are the only ones capable of saving the Universe from Thanos.

Read the Infinity Gauntlet Saga. You know where Captain America was in that?

in space.

I completely expect Thanos' climax in a movie to involve much bigger stakes than just the Earth, and if Joss Whedon sticks around to direct, he won't give that character the shaft because it may seem weird to see Captain America in space.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #33
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
It's not like I'm against it, it's just not something I see as realistically happening.
Oh I know what you are saying, I get what you mean, I am just the opposite, Earth being what is at stake when Thanos' climax in the movie verse happens, I don't see it realistically happening, he operates on such a big scale, there is no way I can see them limiting him just to an attack on Earth.

Not after him more than likely appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy, seeing the infinity gauntlet in Thor, and The Other saying, the universe will be his.

Not to mention the whole nature of his character

Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I agree with everything you're saying but it's just hard for me to imagine this Avengers team fighting the bad guy in space. I mean, it's a lot more likely that Thanos comes to Earth than The Avengers getting in a space ship to a distant planet somewhere. Plus you have to consider that half the team are regular humans and in Cap's case superhuman but can't breathe in space.

Of course they can always go to a planet where they can breathe and such....I'm actually coming around on this idea lol.

Last edited by Darthphere; 07-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #35
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
I agree with everything you're saying but it's just hard for me to imagine this Avengers team fighting the bad guy in space. I mean, it's a lot more likely that Thanos comes to Earth than The Avengers getting in a space ship to a distant planet somewhere. Plus you have to consider that half the team are regular humans and in Cap's case superhuman but can't breathe in space.

Of course they can always go to a planet where they can breathe and such....I'm actually coming around on this idea lol.
yeah haha. Doesn't have to be literally IN SPACE. I mean, it WILL take place on Earth, but not JUST on earth, and I think his scale will be much bigger than the earth

Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #36
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I don't see the Avengers going into space though and that's what you're talking about would require.
At least one Avenger has already gone into space in the first film. And if you buy into the concept that Thor is really an alien from another planet, then that's *two* Avengers in Space already.

Quote:
....Maybe because well over half of all Avenger stories have taken place on other planets and in other dimensions and other timescapes....? Not that hard to figure out....Avengers has always been about otherworldly adventures.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #37
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

In the comics yeah. I'm just saying, it would be harder to pull off on film. Not impossible, just harder.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #38
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Teams don't always have to play at home.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #39
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Also, wouldn't sending the Avengers into space kind of undermine the whole point of the Guardians?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #40
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Also, wouldn't sending the Avengers into space kind of undermine the whole point of the Guardians?
Im hoping they save Thanos for Avengers 3.... He is the ultimate Avenger villain, and by Avengers 3, there will probably be a few more additions to the squad, and a few other superheroes one in the MCU, so when they take on Thanos, you have GOTG, The Avengers, and maybe Heroes for Hire or even the Defenders... Or just other heroes or SHIELD agents that's not part of the Avengers...

And hopefully we get the military of the world trying to bomb the ***** out of Thanos

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #41
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It will be interesting to see how Thanos figures in here based off his presence in Avengers and how it leads into Avengers.

I mean . . . one imagines the Guardians and Avengers won't interact in an Avengers sequel. I mean . . . that would be way too many characters. The Guardians aren't going to be Avengers you know? So chances are all the stories will be kept separate.

But if the expectation is that Thanos will be a future Avengers movie villain, doesn't that basically mean the Guardians will have to fail?

- CM Punk
Old 07-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #42
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Not if Thanos is used as a pseudoally or a behind-the-scenes figure in their movie.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #43
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

But won't the movie want to formally introduce Thanos?

- CM Punk
Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #44
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

He can be formally introduced just as easily as an ally or a behind-the-scenes mover whom the Guardians don't directly interact with (save for maybe Gamora).

Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther X View Post
So, this has been out for a while now, but Damion Poitier was the dude who played Thanos at the end of the Avengers. If the character is to be featured more prominently in GotG, is it likely for him to get replaced with a bigger name or will they decide to keep him (for the mocap at least)?

I think they should keep him on, he has a sort of Thonos-y look about him, if that's possible.

Is it just me or does this guy look like a photoshop mash-up of Chris Tucker and Michael Vick?

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #46
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

I like the idea of Thanos "working with" the Guardians, but actually manipulating them into doing his dirty work while he steals an Infinity Gem right out from under their noses. That'd be a great lead-in to TA2.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #47
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Is it just me or does this guy look like a photoshop mash-up of Chris Tucker and Michael Vick?
You're totally right, lol

Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #48
Chewy
REDACTED

There's something about his eyes that freaks me out a bit

Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #49
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Earth is beneath Thanos. The only way he would come here is to destroy us, not to invade us.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #50
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

And if he has the Infinity Gauntlet then he doesn't have to show up on Earth in person. He can do his killing from the comfort of his own home.

Closed Thread