The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #101
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Default Re: To Infinity and Beyond: The Thanos Thread

Avengers 3 is supposedly coming out in 2017, so we're talking five years, not a decade or more, and certainly not "dozens" of movies. And that's not very different than, say, waiting six years to see the Empire story resolve itself after the first Star Wars movie. IMO, it's a better move than introducing a threat that huge in the second movie and quickly doing away with it without a whole lot of buildup.

Nevermind that any of those villains would be a huge downgrade after having the Avengers fight Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. That'd be like having a Die Hard movie where John McClane saves the country from a terrorist threat, and then following it up with a sequel where he saves a neighborhood mall from robbers. Generally speaking, you want to increase the stakes as you go along, not decrease them.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #102
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Avengers 3 is supposedly coming out in 2017, so we're talking five years, not a decade or more, and certainly not "dozens" of movies. And that's not very different than, say, waiting six years to see the Empire story resolve itself after the first Star Wars movie. IMO, it's a better move than introducing a threat that huge in the second movie and quickly doing away with it without a whole lot of buildup.

Nevermind that any of those villains would be a huge downgrade after having the Avengers fight Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. That'd be like having a Die Hard movie where John McClane saves the country from a terrorist threat, and then following it up with a sequel where he saves a neighborhood mall from robbers. Generally speaking, you want to increase the stakes as you go along, not decrease them.

I have no idea where this 2017 rumor started, but I really don't think we'll see Avengers 3 that early. Feige implied they were looking at 3 year periods between Avengers films. I see Avengers 3 in 2018, with 2019 and 2020 being possible if they decide to do a 2 part epic (like so many franchises are doing to cap off their series.)

This would be especially effective if GOTG is a big hit; imagine the build up of a successful GoTG franchise, The Avengers franchise, and select solo franchises (Dr. Strange for example) coming to a head in an Infinity Gauntlet epic at the end of this decade.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #103
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post

No. No, you don't have to do that.
Nobody ever said you had to do that, except maybe Michael Bay.

People just want good stories from their sequels; they don't give a crap about how big the stakes are. James Bond goes from saving the universe in one film to stopping a heist in the next....people are still okay with that.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #104
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I have no idea where this 2017 rumor started, but I really don't think we'll see Avengers 3 that early. Feige implied they were looking at 3 year periods between Avengers films. I see Avengers 3 in 2018, with 2019 and 2020 being possible if they decide to do a 2 part epic (like so many franchises are doing to cap off their series.)

This would be especially effective if GOTG is a big hit; imagine the build up of a successful GoTG franchise, The Avengers franchise, and select solo franchises (Dr. Strange for example) coming to a head in an Infinity Gauntlet epic at the end of this decade.
It is not a rumor. To quote Kevin Fiege

"Marvel has a big cinematic event planned for 2017 or 2018"

Now what else could that be, besides an Infinity Gauntlet movie?

A big cinematic event

jaqua99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #105
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
It is not a rumor. To quote Kevin Fiege

"Marvel has a big cinematic event planned for 2017 or 2018"
Hmmm. I imagine it will be the latter. That way they can squeeze out Cap and Thor threequels.

Quote:

Now what else could that be, besides an Infinity Gauntlet movie?

A big cinematic event
To the chagrin of many, it could also be a Civil War film.

2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #106
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Hmmm. I imagine it will be the latter. That way they can squeeze out Cap and Thor threequels.

To the chagrin of many, it could also be a Civil War film.
GAG

please no

Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #107
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
GAG

please no
I agree, but the general audience doesn't necessarily feel that way. If you ask most people to name a Marvel Event, it'll be Civil War.

Marvel feels strongly enough about it that they based a video game around it and like 3 years worth of comics. They obviously don't share our misgivings with the event.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #108
Chewy
REDACTED

None of the superheroes in Avengers has a secret identity

Civil War, even as a basic concept, is completely irrelevant

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #109
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
None of the superheroes in Avengers has a secret identity

Civil War, even as a basic concept, is completely irrelevant
And you don't think the brain trust at Marvel could think of something else for them to go to war over?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #110
Chewy
REDACTED

But then it's not the same thing at all, so what's the point?

I don't understand the point in the first place, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask, haha. A Cap vs Stark war movie just seems pointless and completely counter-intuitive to me

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #111
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marve...ure-30706.html

I keep hoping, particularly with Maria Hill being introduced in this film, that somewhere down the line we might see a movie based on Mark Millar and Steve McNiven’s Civil War. Obviously that’s a large scale thing, but do you think it’s something that Marvel could ever possibly do?

With the Fantastic Four in it?

Even without, just the characters that you have.

Well, if you want the best, right? I love it. I don’t see it as a part two, but beyond that I think it could be great. That’s one of the best crossover events we’ve done.

Feige seems to like it.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #112
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I strongly, *strongly* hope they avoid Civil War like the plague. It was the worst story arc of recent Marvel memory.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #113
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I strongly, *strongly* hope they avoid Civil War like the plague. It was the worst story arc of recent Marvel memory.
I hope so too...just...when it happens...don't act surprised.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #114
ThePowerUp
New User - Level 0

I'd like to see the Guardians and Thanos searching for the Infinity Gems. I know that's not how it is in comics, but having Thanos as a partner before he double crosses the team. Maybe...

ThePowerUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #115
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Interesting theories here. I think Thanos will be a background villain in Avengers 2, the guy pulling the strings. In my opinion, the Skrulls should be on Earth led by The Other. But this is NOT an invasion. Thanos seems to be interested in Earth, but why?

There's an Infinity Gem here.

Probably the Power Gem. Thor and Fury said that the events of TA signals Earth is ready for war, and Thanos will give them war. He's not interested in invading us, but he wants a Gem hidden here, maybe on Wakanda? Then for the finale I'd like to see Avengers vs Skrulls in space.

There were three statements/questions said in Avengers that not many people have picked up on. One is the 'higher form of war' and statement I previously mentioned. These are the others:

Why does Thanos need the Tesseract? It's common sense he is after the Gems but him doing an epic search for the Gems across the universe is way more dramatic and epic than him popping up in Asgard and snatching the most powerful object in existence. Therefore I think the Gauntlet there is a fake, retrieved by Odin from Thanos' first attempt at Infinity War and now he's trying it again, this time more prepared. Thanos will probably use the Tesseract to find the Gems.

Loki is going to die. The events of Thor 2 will have the greatest effect on A2, and as someone trying to write a script for that, it's extremely annoying. But, whether Thanos intended Loki to lose or not, both him and The Other want him dead. So I expect we'll see Loki killed in A2 or later.

But please, do NOT have IG as the plot for A3. It's far too big. Let them fight Ultron or whoever. Then have a separate two-parter or whatever for Infinity Gauntlet like all those other two-parters we're seeing right now.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #116
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Personally, if Loki is to die, I want him to die in Thor 3 fighting Surtur alongside the rest of Asgard.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #117
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Something my brain has been cooking up the past couple days. In the very first scene of The Avengers, the other says the following:

"The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world. A human world. They would wield its power, but our ally knows its workings as they never will."

So in another thread I was involved in a discussion regarding how the Tesseract powered Loki's scepter and therefore, as many would agree, powered the Mind Gem.

So those "workings" they are referring to may in fact have little to do with space portals and more to do with powering Infinity Gems. Is that why Thanos wants it? Sure using it to travel through space gathering the gems would be handy, but I'm sure he has a nice space cruiser for that. Maybe he literally needs the cube to power the gems.

Might that explain why the Mind Gem is the only one that is shiny in this image:

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #118
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

The Mind Gem isn't in the Scepter. He was just talking about them and Loki knowing how to use it as the humans don't.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #119
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

yeah^

although, to quote the beginning of the movie

"the world will be his, the UNIVERSE, yours"

he was talking to Thanos. Yes, we know Thanos stands for the death of all things.

However, that quote tells me that he is going to operate on a universal scale. Meaning he is not going to set his plans aside, and go attack earth with the IG instead.

I think, whenever his climax occurs, it will be the avengers, and adam warlock, and drax, and whoever else trying to stop him from basically destroying the universe.

Also, I do want to see a massive display of power.

Maybe we can see him do something with the gauntlet, and we see like, a compilation of just destruction through out the universe. Maybe see some volcanos erupt on earth, people just blink out of existance (as homage) show different alien worlds and aliens panicking as things blow up. Zoom out, see planets exploding, stars, and even a galaxy blow up.

I'd like to see something like that. Shows the true stakes and the power of the infinity gauntlet.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #120
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Well in the IG storyline (which I have in my hand) Thanos wipes out half the population of the entire universe, including a lot of heroes. Then he causes tons of tidal waves and earthquakes and other 'natural' disaesters on Earth, knocking it out of orbit, plunging us into a neverending ice age....

I think that would be cool to see.

Quote:
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #121
misjuevos
I am Groot

it just sucks that there is no silver surfer. all this stuff happening without him.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #122
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Ehhhh IDK. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel and Disney went all out in trying to get a shared rights deal for FF.

Quote:
Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #123
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMasterCBM View Post
The Mind Gem isn't in the Scepter. He was just talking about them and Loki knowing how to use it as the humans don't.
oh its not? where'd you hear that?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #124
Bren
Forevernoob

I really like the suggestions that Thanos be working 'with' the GOTG in their movie. I certainly believe some sentences uttered to him and a smile from Thanos is not enough before throwing him in Avengers 2.

A little challenge might be that we (the audience) already KNOWS he's a 'bad' guy to Earth based on allying himself with Loki and lending him an army to invade us.

But.... Emperor Palpatine and all that.........

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #125
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
oh its not? where'd you hear that?
Where did you hear that it *was* powered by the Mind Gem?

Look, I don't entirely discount the possibility that the Mind Gem was in Loki's sceptre, but the burden of proof is on *you* and the Gem believers; since NOWHERE in the Avengers movie was the Gem mentioned, whereas the movie *did* specifically state that the Tesseract powered the sceptre.

So no, unless you've got actual proof to the contrary, the sceptre that Thanos gave Loki was *not* powered by any kind of Gem, but by the Tesseract.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote