The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man Sequels

Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default So no Ant-Man 2?

Phase 3 has been revealed and no Ant-Man 2 until at least 2020

Why do you think this is?

Aside from TIH every MCU franchise has had sequels shortly before release.

Only reason I can think of them not planning a sequel is due to a movie flopping but Ant-Man hasn't released yet so they are either thinking it'll flop and not devoting a slot for a sequel or they're planning on only having one movie for this then putting him on a team.

Perhaps the same is planned for Black Panther and Captain Marvel. One movie then onto a team instead of solos.

What do you guys/gals think?

-production gives us comic-book accurate costumes-
Fans: They look too much like the comics/cartoon. UGH! WTF!

No wonder studios don't listen to us, we don't know what the hell we want.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Comicbookguy339
Side-Kick

Default Re: So no Ant-Man 2?

Do we know for sure that 2019 won't have another two (phase 4) films? It could still happen in 2019. And while it would be 4 years between the original and the sequel, 4 years will also have passed between Thor The Dark World and Thor Ragnarok so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Comicbookguy339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy339 View Post
Do we know for sure that 2019 won't have another two (phase 4) films? It could still happen in 2019. And while it would be 4 years between the original and the sequel, 4 years will also have passed between Thor The Dark World and Thor Ragnarok so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
I think Feige said if it wasn't annouced with the slate it's either just rumour or not coming.

-production gives us comic-book accurate costumes-
Fans: They look too much like the comics/cartoon. UGH! WTF!

No wonder studios don't listen to us, we don't know what the hell we want.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
BatsDC
Avocados At Law

I imagine a lot will depend on how well it does. I'm sure Peyton would love to develop a Marvel movie from the ground up (instead of picking up from where someone else left off) so I'd say it might happen, although in Phase 4. Ant-Man is already potentially in two movies in Phase 3 anyway, if not more. The position as a bookend of Phase 2 makes it difficult to say whether he should get a sequel in Phase 3 or 4.

2020's my bet, if it happens.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Spiderine
Sho nuff

I bet Paul Rudd will be in Cap 3.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
chamber-music
Forever Hooligan

Old 10-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

They have an extremely full schedule to the point where it's unrealistic there would be more. My hope is for them to be in other movies (particularly Avengers movies) for Phase 3. He can always come back in Phase 4.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
CaptainWagner
Strong Arm of the Law

I'm sure if the film is a success, there will be a sequel in Phase 4. Iron Man is the only franchise to have two films in the same phase, after all.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
PunyGod
Astronomer

Last edited by PunyGod; 11-13-2014 at 07:40 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Yeah, that's true. However, they've also never announced movies so far out before.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Human Torch
Banned User

Since this appears to be a disaster in the making,I'm not surprised.But,if it turns out to be a big hit,I'm sure things will be adjusted accordingly.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Zarex
Side-Kick

Ant-Man is an outlier in that it is much more a "Phase 1" film than a "Phase 3" release - not surprising given when it was developed. Unlike T'Challa and Carol, we're going to meet Scott for the first time in his solo feature, which will also serve as an origin story. And it probably won't expand the MCU mythology to the same extent as the films that come after.

So while we'll likely see a lot of Rudd going forward, I am not certain if a solo sequel is in the cards, at least not in the traditional IM2 & 3 sense. If Ant-Man, Black Panther or Captain Marvel sequels are greenlit they may look more like the Captain America franchise, and feature established fan favorite characters in team-up adventures.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Probably the same situation why we aren't seeing a Hulk film any time soon. Another Ant-man film would likely have to bump some other film off its spot.

We'll probably see Rudd (and maybe other cast members) in other Marvel films along the line anyway.

RIP Sir Terry.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!

Marvel isn't in this simply for one and done films. That might've been part of the conflict between studio and director. Marvel's overall intent has usually been to broaden a franchise, otherwise why even bother...?

FYI GOTG's sequel didn't get the green light till a month before release I think. Granted this is a lot more "iffy" but since Marvel isn't in this to lose or throw money down the drain I'm on board never the less.

Plus there aren't a lot of promising CBM's releasing next year so after spring boarding off of AOU's success the way IM3 did I see this film doing anywhere from $450M - $600M if done right. Which would warrant a sequel.

Ben: I don't....

Last edited by starscream22; 11-04-2014 at 08:32 AM.
starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
MbJ
Side-Kick

I don't think Ant-Man will be the end of the character. Lang and possibly Hope if she becomes the Wasp will likely appear in one of the Infinity War movies as new recruits for the Avengers.

Or possibly even a cameo in Civil War?

MbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Ant Man will be like Hulk. He'll have a solo movie, then appear in a few other films afterward. In Lang's case, I imagine CA: Civil War, Infinity War (Part I and II) and maybe even a post credit or cameo spot in Doctor Strange or Black Panther.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
MessiahDecoy123
Boo Radley cliche

Why would there be two Ant-Man movies if phase 3?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Why would there be two Ant-Man movies if phase 3?
They've retroactively decided Ant-Man is the final film of Phase 2 rather than the first of Phase 3.

MbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
meanmc
Side-Kick

As Ant-Man - correct me, if i am wrong - first was planned to be the start of phase 3 (and is now the end of phase 2), it is quite clear, that there is no second Ant-Man movie...

And, we have now new characters, whom they first have to give it a try.

I think, that they - of course - had some plans, for example, for GotG 2 (before the first one). Pretty logical. But if the first movie would have been a disaster, maybe they would have switched all things...

As it will be with characters like Ant-Man, Black Panther, Ms Marvel and Dr. Strange!

And, i do not think that every of the new characters NEED a sequel. They will be teaming up with others, be in the Avenger movies. That is fine...
Therefore i also do not expect many sequels for our new phase 3 characters in phase 4

Last edited by meanmc; 11-10-2014 at 04:20 PM.
meanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #20
drod1985
Ragnarock n' Roll

If Ant-Man is a hit they'll do exactly what they did with GOTG and announce the sequel around the time of release, but it can't fit in Phase 3. Phase 4 will probably have sequels for the new properties, and they can use those movies to build the MCU hero roster back up after IW. I wouldn't be surprised if Ant-Man 2 followed IW2.

drod1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

One thing that people are forgetting is the Ant-Man, particularly Scott Lang, doesn't have a strong rogue's gallery. Ultron was already used in Avengers. Egghead is a Pym villain and not a very interesting one at that. Wasp is dead so Whirlwind probably won't appear and if he does, he'll most likely be fighting Iron Man.

Crossfire is also a Hawkeye villain and if Hawkeye gets a Netflix series, then it looks like Crossfire would probably appear there.

Compare that to somebody like Iron Man, Daredevil or Thor who have big, expansive rogues galleries or somebody like Captain America, Iron Fist, Ms Marvel or Hulk who may not have as many villains to use but the few that they do have are really, really, really great and iconic.

Or even somebody like Punisher who mostly fights enemies who are one and done but the stories involving those foes give a lot of sequel potential.

Ant-Man simply doesn't have any of that. He's mostly just an Avenger.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
chamber-music
Forever Hooligan

Scott Lang does have an ongoing Ant-Man comic coming out which will feature some new villains so I guess they could adapt whatever new villain they come up but your right about him not having solo villains.

I guess Taskmaster who made his first appearance in the avengers going up against Pym, Lang and Janet could be used as a villain. Lang has had a couple run ins with Taskmaster in Marvel Team Up and other titles.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #23
BatsDC
Avocados At Law

Radioactive Man, Egghead, Whirlwind... There's three potential main bad guys. Plus if you look through the original 60s series there's a ton of minor villains that could be used. The movies don't follow the comics (especially this one) and so it shouldn't be a problem they are Pym villains. Movies change things, and a majority of the Ant-Man villains would benefit from that.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
Jammat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Crossfire is also a Hawkeye villain and if Hawkeye gets a Netflix series, then it looks like Crossfire would probably appear there.
Is this a possibility, rumour, or just speculation?

I think the Ant-Man sequel will depend entirely on how Ant-Man is recieved. The last thing Marvel want is to announce Ant-Man 2: The Wasp, to wild applause only to then cancel it should Ant-Man flop (I don't think it will, by the way).

Jammat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
smashmode
House Stark

Ant-Man will be like hulk I'm guessing (One origin film, then appear in avengers/cross overs etc.)

smashmode is offline   Reply With Quote