The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #476
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

Default Re: OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
Casting Marsden would seem to put an end to any small hope of X-MenOFP bringing Cyclops back and rectifying the events of X3. That said, I would not mind Marsden or Edgerton. I think both should be considered the favorites at this point. I like Lee Pace but not for Star Lord so much.
Off topic, but I'd like to see a parallel X-men universe where Ratner gets vaporised by Phoenix, not Cyclops.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #477
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

I don't know much about the Star-Lord character admittedly, but from what I've read about him, he seems like a cocky Han Solo type. I've watched enough of Strike Back to know that Sullivan Stapleton can play that type of character in his sleep, so he definitely gets my vote here. The other actors mention are all pretty good too, except maybe for Sturgess. I like Sturgess, but he doesn't seem to really suit this type of character, even though he did play a fairly good action hero in Cloud Atlas.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #478
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I kind of doubt that, considering he's barely even visible in trailers. If he had, say, Richard Armitage's role, then I might agree with you.
Richard was great in Captain America btw.. the thing is Chris Hemsworth/Jeremy Renner were supporting actors with little film credits before Thor/Avengers..Lee Pace was also in the recent Twilight (terrible I know) and Oscar buzzed Lincoln so he's already out there to audiences.. not to mention in an action role in the underrated The Fall.. the guy is prime for a breakout and The Hobbit is the film to help boost his awareness

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #479
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
Richard was great in Captain America btw.. the thing is Chris Hemsworth/Jeremy Renner were supporting actors with little film credits before Thor/Avengers..Lee Pace was also in the recent Twilight (terrible I know) and Oscar buzzed Lincoln so he's already out there to audiences.. not to mention in an action role in the underrated The Fall.. the guy is prime for a breakout and The Hobbit is the film to help boost his awareness

Jeremy Renner was nominated for best Male actor in a leading role at the Oscars. I'd hardly call that a supporting actor. I'd definitely say that puts him above Pace in terms of recognition.

Nothing against Pace. I think he'd do fine, I'm just calling it like I see it on your Renner remark.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #480
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Jeremy Renner was nominated for best Male actor in a leading role at the Oscars. I'd hardly call that a supporting actor. I'd definitely say that puts him above Pace in terms of recognition.

Nothing against Pace. I think he'd do fine, I'm just calling it like I see it on your Renner remark.
granted he did have an Oscar nomination but Hurt Locker was an indie film which didn't originally have studio backing and wasn't hinging on Renner..I know I saw it a full year before it's theatrical release at TIFF before anyone knew what it was..back then it wasn't even getting rave reviews.. it's made around $49 million worldwide.. $17 million domestically making it one of the lowest earning Best Picture Oscar winning films of all time...hard to say Renner was a leading man based on those numbers.. I was just saying Renner was cast as Hawkeye before Ghost Protocol or Bourne Legacy turned out to be successful

Lee Pace is okay, but I have a feeling Joel will come out on top mainly because of Zero Dark Thirty, Warrior and other strong performances in films like Animal Kingdom.. he's a real actor not some Hollywood hot-shot that agents are pushing to keep their jobs.. ala Garrett or Marsden..those two I think are terrible choices in my opinion and will bring John Carter/Green Lantern/Tron Legacy terribleness to Guardians.. I know Gunn is all about casting quirky actors but Marvel is getting better at spotting talent.. Pace could be the next Tom Hiddleston/Benedict Cumberbatch if he doesn't land a role here.. he could make an excellent supporting actor in the Marvel universe..if not Quill I could see him playing Hank Pym, Nova or even Union Jack...

Last edited by Christopher_M; 11-29-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #481
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
granted he did have an Oscar nomination but Hurt Locker was an indie film which didn't originally have studio backing and wasn't hinging on Renner..I know I saw it a full year before it's theatrical release at TIFF before anyone knew what it was..back then it wasn't even getting rave reviews.. it's made around $49 million worldwide.. $17 million domestically making it one of the lowest earning Best Picture Oscar winning films of all time...hard to say Renner was a leading man based on those numbers.. I was just saying Renner was cast as Hawkeye before Ghost Protocol or Bourne Legacy turned out to be successful
Still there's a certain cache centering around being nominated for the highest honor in American film.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #482
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Still there's a certain cache centering around being nominated for the highest honor in American film.
yes, there is..I'll accept I overstepped on Renner.. however, how many of these actors have been nominated for Oscars or even BFTAS? Lee Pace is the only one with a serious award earning the Silver Bear from the Berlin Film Festival for The Good Shepherd..

Joel on the other hand has the greatest amount of action credits which includes King Arthur, Smokin' Aces, The Thing, Warrior and Zero Dark Thirty.. he still has the Great Gatsby coming out in December which could also be massively successful.. as cache goes Joel has it

Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #483
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
yes, there is..I'll accept I overstepped on Renner.. however, how many of these actors have been nominated for Oscars or even BFTAS? Lee Pace is the only one with a serious award earning the Silver Bear from the Berlin Film Festival for The Good Shepherd..

Joel on the other hand has the greatest amount of action credits which includes King Arthur, Smokin' Aces, The Thing, Warrior and Zero Dark Thirty.. he still has the Great Gatsby coming out in December which could also be massively successful.. as cache goes Joel has it
I'd say Joel is easily the biggest star on the list, and has the most crossover with the over 25 demographic and the female demographic.

People often talk connections in these Marvel films, well Joel would be the third Katherine Bigelow associated actor to show up in the MCU, following the lead of Renner and Mackie.

Last edited by KangConquers; 11-29-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #484
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
I'd say Joel is easily the biggest star on the list, and has the most crossover with the over 25 demographic and the female demographic.

People often talk connections in these Marvel films, well Joel would be the third Katherine Bigelow associated actor to show up in the MCU, following the lead of Renner and Mackie.
Bigelow has an eye for talent.. you missed Jessica Chastain who would have had a role in Iron Man 3 if it hadn't been for Zero Dark Thirty

I also love the casting of Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow.. shows they're in a new era of casting

Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #485
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Thumbs up Re: OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread

Phase 2 casting has been pretty intense.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #486
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:

Guy Pearce was in Hurt Locker, too

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #487
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Phase 2 casting has been pretty intense.
yeah I love the sheer amount of Game of Thrones cast members being looked for roles.. shows Marvel is on the pulse of television and film..I'd love to know if that female lead in Winter Soldier is Sharon Carter or some Madame Hydra/Jessica Drew hybrid.. since it's never been confirmed

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #488
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yes, he was. As Chris said, Marvel definitely has it's finger on the pulse of TV and film.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #489
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
haha I forgot that! Guy playing some A.I.M. baddie in Iron Man 3..I still think his character is some cover for either Strucker or Modok

Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #490
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Hope it's not a case of Taylor Kitsch or Channing Tatum, though. Audiences don't always swallow whoever Hollywood is hell bent on feeding them.
In Tatum's defense, he is finally an A-list actor. After 6 years, he's finally broken the barrier. The Vow, 21 Jump Street, and Magic Mike were massive successes. GI Joe: Retaliation got delayed because people were pissed that Duke died. He is also the new Sexiest Man Alive now.

It happens. Not so often, but Hollywood does win sometimes.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #491
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:

Well, I certainly hope you're right because the guy deserves it, but as I said, I have my doubts that the role in the Hobbit will be such a breakout character.

And I do agree with Kang that he's not yet nearly where Renner was when he was cast in Avengers. Renner had already had an Oscar nomination for Best Actor in a LEADING Role by the time he was cast. Pace has only ever had leading roles tiny little films no one saw and a cancelled TV show. Otherwise, he's had non-standout roles in large ensembles. And I feel the Hobbit is probably more of the same in that regard. Again, I'd love to be wrong about that.

I like Edgerton as well, though, so I'm hoping either Pace or Edgerton get the lead. Marsden, as much I like him in comedies, just isn't much of a leading man, imo, and I find Sturgess to be as bland as dry toast.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 11-29-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #492
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
In Tatum's defense, he is finally an A-list actor. After 6 years, he's finally broken the barrier. The Vow, 21 Jump Street, and Magic Mike were massive successes. GI Joe: Retaliation got delayed because people were pissed that Duke died. He is also the new Sexiest Man Alive now.

It happens. Not so often, but Hollywood does win sometimes.
I hate admit it but you're right.. Paramount freaked when The Vow and 21 Jump Street tested so well they pulled the G.I. Joe sequel to un-kill Duke and bring him back delaying it's release by a full year..I assume to have Duke back for more films.. he was decent enough in Haywire so I would give him a shot in a supporting role in the Marvel universe.. not so much a lead because he's in fact a robot..

I feel like the Marvel films are becoming more upscale casting-wise over the last couple of years.. even the non-Marvel Studios films are nailing down awesome talent.. the Spider-Man sequel trying to land an Oscar winner Jamie Foxx and X-Men's Jennifer Lawrence looking to get her second nomination for Sliver Linings Playbook..

Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #493
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

People aren't mentioning Aussie actor Sullivan Stapleton but I'd think he'd make a great Drax.. like Michael Fassbender, landing his first major Hollywood role in the 300 franchise.. taking the role of Themistocles in 300: Rise of An Emipre and will have a part in Warner Bros. Gangster Squad (alongside Anthony Mackie).. he also like Captain America and Hobbit's Richard Artimage had a great stint on the series Strike Back..decent enough supporting roles in Aussie films like Animal Kingdom (alongside Edgerton) and The Hunter.. dude is an action star in the making

Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #494
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
The shortlist is filled with people that Hollywood is hell bent on making happen.
At least in Edgerton's case it is deserved. This man can act like few of his generation. Never understood why he didn't have his big breakthrough years ago. He should be leading actor in big Hollywood epics by now, but like with Karl Urban that never seems to happen. It's a pity, but hopefully Marvel can change that

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #495
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Quote:
People aren't mentioning Aussie actor Sullivan Stapleton but I'd think he'd make a great Drax.. like Michael Fassbender, landing his first major Hollywood role in the 300 franchise.. taking the role of Themistocles in 300: Rise of An Emipre and will have a part in Warner Bros. Gangster Squad (alongside Anthony Mackie).. he also like Captain America and Hobbit's Richard Artimage had a great stint on the series Strike Back..decent enough supporting roles in Aussie films like Animal Kingdom (alongside Edgerton) and The Hunter.. dude is an action star in the making

Stapleton is who I'd pick for Quill, but maybe he could be Drax too, I don't know.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #496
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
On The Road was getting some acclaim for his stint in that I thought.
Hedlund was great in On The Road. He was very charismatic. Hedlund basically hitchiked around and really got into the character for the part. It was something of a passion project for him.

Tron Legacy seemed like a paycheck/career move for Hedlund because he didn't seem that into to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I'm not familiar with the characters, so I have no idea if he's right for this particular role, but I really love the idea of Lee Pace getting in this movie just because he's seriously overdue for a Hollywood breakout, imo.
Pace is super talented. He should be a leading man by now. Hollywood is exactly swimming in talented American male actors under 35 right now so I'm suprised his not got big roles yet.

Pace went to high school with Lynn Collins, Matt Boomer and was in Julliard with Anthony Mackie.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #497
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Jack Huston this Sunday proved he could take on an action role head-on..

Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #498
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

What's Ryan Gosling like as an actor. I mean, he'd certainly be a hot Starlord

Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #499
Silvermoth
Avenger

He's brilliant! You should see him in "Lars and the real girl"

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #500
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
What's Ryan Gosling like as an actor. I mean, he'd certainly be a hot Starlord
Gosling's great. He was great in "Lars," as mentioned above, but he really stood out in "Drive."

But he's one of those actors who has very publicly turned up his nose at superhero films, and has made it clear he's not interested in any of them.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Closed Thread