The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #551
Filmboy
Banned User

Default Re: OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread

I thought with Zero Dark Thirty getting so much buzz and hype now, Marvel will want to cast Joel Edgerton as their next leading man.

Isn't this the same situation with Jessica Chastain for Iron Man 3??

Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #552
Chewy
REDACTED

And Renner for Hurt Locker, Ruffalo for Kids Are All Right, Natalie Portman for Black Swan, Mickey Rourke for Wrestler, etc etc etc

They love hiring actors who are in the middle of their awards season hype

Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #553
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
And Renner for Hurt Locker, Ruffalo for Kids Are All Right, Natalie Portman for Black Swan, Mickey Rourke for Wrestler, etc etc etc

They love hiring actors who are in the middle of their awards season hype
makes me think that Bradley Cooper is an actor they're currently trying work something out.. likely for Ant-Man since Cooper is a shoe-in for best actor nomination for Silver Linings Playbook..plus he had been rumored for being in the mix for Edgar Wright's film.. Edgerton isn't likely getting a nomination for Zero Dark Thirty because of it being a group effort film.. if anyone is getting one it will be Jessica Chastain again..

Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #554
Chewy
REDACTED

No one is in the mix for Edgar Wright's film, they won't be casting for another year now

Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #555
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
No one is in the mix for Edgar Wright's film, they won't be casting for another year now
Joel, Lee and Eddie were named back in August 2011 for Marvel roles.. Cooper as well..a rumor at the time but turned out to be true.. at the time the assumption was that these were roles for Ant-Man before Guardians was announced into production first... they aren't "officially" linked but Cooper is the type of high profile actor they'd need to cast for Ant-Man for audiences to take it somewhat seriously... tried to add link but the board won't let me add CBM links

also wanted to add World's End will likely be finished press tours around summer time which will likely see Marvel announce the Ant-Man cast at Comic-Con or the Disney conference..still waiting for Marvel to release that teaser Ant-Man footage from Comic-Con..

Last edited by Christopher_M; 12-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #556
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

But couldn't Cooper actually stand a chance for Star Lord? It wouldn't be the first time that Marvel would cast someone while they had other contenders still testing.

If Chastain joins the MCU, then she should be Ms Marvel. But maybe Marvel just get her to play Sharon Carter!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #557
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
But couldn't Cooper actually stand a chance for Star Lord? It wouldn't be the first time that Marvel would cast someone while they had other contenders still testing.

If Chastain joins the MCU, then she should be Ms Marvel. But maybe Marvel just get her to play Sharon Carter!
IIRC, Feige stated they are looking for an actress for Ms. Marvel that can draw audiences in by her name alone. And the reason they aren't pushing that movie forward is that currently there is no such actress in Hollywood. Chastain certainly doesn't fit that description.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #558
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post

as people have mentioned here before Guardians will be a team film..Cooper seems like someone who could lead one of these franchises such as Ant-Man..being an American leading-man he's a rare breed with a majority of the superhero roles going to Brits, Aussies, Scotts, Irish, Welsh and Canadian actors.. that said, I'm sure he's been approached for Star-Lord..you never know it might be another Chris Evans thing.. Evans had been pursued for the lead but the studio tested a ton of actors anyways.. Cooper has been filming a lot of indie/awards type of films lately so I wouldn't be shocked to see him join the Marvel universe with his next big studio picture..

Emily Blunt (Looper, All You Need Is Kill) and Ruth Wilson (Lone Ranger, Luther) are actually being mentioned for Ms. Marvel.. Blunt seems to be against having a reprising role she mentioned a while back that she'd want a good role but ultimately seemed uninterested in a franchise.. a supporting role sounds possible..I'd love to see her play a villain in the future as Madame Hydra or Whitney Frost.. Ruth had been my choice to play Scarlet Witch since the character according to Kevin Feige is co-owned with Fox.. hopefully we eventually get to see more female characters with actual powers within the Marvel universe sooner rather than later..

Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #559
fixxxer
Side-Kick

My mind's eye has always constructed Quill as a weary traveler who bears the burden of the universe(s) on his shoulders. And whose weariness is, in equal part, masked and fueled by his sarcastic/sardonic sense of humor. Something about Edgerton just doesn't jibe with that image. Then again, maybe it's just me.

Edgerton, though, was pretty awesome in Warrior, and it looks like he was great in Zero Dark Thirty as well. The guy looks 'heroic' (for lack of a better descriptor) enough, and think he'd make an awesome addition to the MCU, but I just don't think Star-Lord's the right fit.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #560
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
My mind's eye has always constructed Quill as a weary traveler who bears the burden of the universe(s) on his shoulders. And whose weariness is, in equal part, masked and fueled by his sarcastic/sardonic sense of humor. Something about Edgerton just doesn't jibe with that image. Then again, maybe it's just me.

Edgerton, though, was pretty awesome in Warrior, and it looks like he was great in Zero Dark Thirty as well. The guy looks 'heroic' (for lack of a better descriptor) enough, and think he'd make an awesome addition to the MCU, but I just don't think Star-Lord's the right fit.
I think Marvel is very in-tune with how fans see the character.. they haven't been terrible with their casting and mostly on point.. Lee Pace sounds like a strong candidate and if you've seen The Fall his characters in that film fit your description of Star-Lord..

Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #561
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post

That sounds like Timothy Olyphant to me actually.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #562
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
I think Marvel is very in-tune with how fans see the character.. they haven't been terrible with their casting and mostly on point.. Lee Pace sounds like a strong candidate and if you've seen The Fall his characters in that film fit your description of Star-Lord..
Agreed... both on Pace, and on Marvel usually being on-the-nose WRT casting. Not the biggest Tarsem Singh fan, though maybe I'll give The Fall a watch.

Like many others on the board, I too think they're testing Edgerton out as a separate character.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #563
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Olyphant would be great. I was suggesting him from the moment the movie was announced. But hes got a hit show and i havent heard that hes on any short list. He'd be badass though, obviously. Slim chance, but hopefully the ultimate choice is an inspired one.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #564
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Okay, since this is a casting thread, who do you guys think should play/voice Thanos?

also, when reading comics with thanos in them, what do you picture his voice to sound like?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #565
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Okay, since this is a casting thread, who do you guys think should play/voice Thanos?

also, when reading comics with thanos in them, what do you picture his voice to sound like?
Tone wise? Very deep, gravelly, and powerful timbre. Like James Earl Jones meets Tom Waits.

Pitch wise? Not nearly as expressive as James Earl Jones. Any being who has seen and caused as much death as Thanos has would be hard to get a rise out of, so I've always pictured him speaking in a slightly monotone voice.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #566
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post

I'd say keep the original actor who did the cameo and hire Sir Christopher Lee to voice Thanos.. Lee has played some awesome villains in his lengthy career

Christopher Lee as Saruman..

Last edited by Christopher_M; 12-15-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #567
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

The will either CG him and use a voice actor or they will make him more human looking and use a live actor with some prosthetics and various post techniques. Those are the only options. Theres absolutely no point in hiring two actors. Vader is a terrible example btw. Too tired to explain why.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #568
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
The will either CG him and use a voice actor or they will make him more human looking and use a live actor with some prosthetics and various post techniques. Those are the only options. Theres absolutely no point in hiring two actors. Vader is a terrible example btw. Too tired to explain why.
CGI characters are basically cartoons and don't translate well unless they're played by Andy Serkis.. I doubt they'll be doing that with Thanos.. Hulk finally translated after two previous attempts thanks to Whedon.. with a film's villain they need an actual actor or we'll end up with Green Lantern again..

Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #569
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
Hulk finally translated after two previous attempts thanks to ILM and the recent advancements in motion capture and Whedon.
Fixed that for you

Green Lantern was done in a hurry by Sony Imageworks, aka one of the worst effects houses in the biz.

The recent advancements in motion capture technology have made largely "real" looking CGI characters possible. The biggest problem is and will continue to be rendering realistic human eyes, but inhuman eyes may actually be a positive in terms of giving Thanos a creepy, ethereal look.

I imagine they'll use the same effects and motion capture techniques that they used to create the Hulk, and I also imagine they'll film the bulk of the Thanos stuff up-front, to give the effects artists the most possible time to get it right.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #570
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Fixed that for you

Green Lantern was done in a hurry by Sony Imageworks, aka one of the worst effects houses in the biz.

The recent advancements in motion capture technology have made largely "real" looking CGI characters possible. The biggest problem is and will continue to be rendering realistic human eyes, but inhuman eyes may actually be a positive in terms of giving Thanos a creepy, ethereal look.

I imagine they'll use the same effects and motion capture techniques that they used to create the Hulk, and I also imagine they'll film the bulk of the Thanos stuff up-front, to give the effects artists the most possible time to get it right.
Hulk was okay..but after seeing a CGI villain in The Hobbit..the giant white orc Azog was unimpressive even with the mo-cap advancements you speak of..most of these Marvel films are rushing their special effects.. ILM will be focusing on Cap 2, similar to the case of Thor/Thor 2 Marvel will be looking to other companies like Weta/Blur Studios to work on Guardians' effects..

Last edited by Christopher_M; 12-15-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #571
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Tone wise? Very deep, gravelly, and powerful timbre. Like James Earl Jones meets Tom Waits.

Pitch wise? Not nearly as expressive as James Earl Jones. Any being who has seen and caused as much death as Thanos has would be hard to get a rise out of, so I've always pictured him speaking in a slightly monotone voice.
So many people say this. I have a slightly different opinion though. I do think deep, gravelly and powerful timbre. However, I don't picture it AS deep as james earl jones. I picture it like that, but with slight monotone, like you said. midly mildly different from yours, but here's the catch.

for some reason, given the context of his speech, and his intelligence, on top of this deep monotone gravely voice, I have always picture his voice having a sort of, well, aristocratic tone to it was well. Given how intelligent he is, I always sort of imagined that intelligence reflecting in his voice

this may sound ridiculous, but I've always imagined it of a mix between an older sean connery (without the side lisp) and christopher lee, that voice, with a little bit of effects modification, to make it a bit more gravely and deep. that's what i've always imagined him to sound like, deep powerful, like someone who's seen a lot, but also, a lot of intelligence in his speech

Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #572
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Fixed that for you

yeah, thanos is physically too big to have an actor play him. Outside of head I mean. He's too bulky. If you watch the post credit scene closely, right before the camera changes to thanos' hand, you can see him entire arm and shoulder move to the right. The back of the throne is to us, and we can see his shoulder and arm move to the right. His arm looks pretty big

Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #573
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Thanos has to be CG. Look at the scale of his ass in some comic panels with other normal sized characters.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #574
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

well couldnt they use forced perspective a la LOTR and CGI his ass in post?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #575
Filmboy
Banned User

Jessica Chastain for Gamora....???

Marvel wanted her for Iron Man 3, but she couldn't make it work

Though I think she would be better as Poison Ivy.

Closed Thread