The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #776
Raoul Duke
Banned User

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

i see guardians of the galaxy, if it's a good film and it's marketed well, making at least thor numbers. around 400 to 500 million.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #777
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

it depends how they approach the movie. it can make very big numbers if they invest properly in it and make it a space LotR kinda movie.
Thor was kinda missed opportunity for that, but back then marvel still didnt have huge box office movies so they approached that one with caution.
i hope they give this one a nice big budget and make it a nice space epic movie.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #778
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitri_vampiro View Post
it depends how they approach the movie. it can make very big numbers if they invest properly in it and make it a space LotR kinda movie.
I'd rather they make it a Star Wars (Original Trilogy) kinda movie.

LOTR, and SW (New Trilogy), take themselves way too seriously; GOTG, like 80s-era Lucas and Spielberg films, should be more about having fun than trying to get bogged down with too much "srs bsns."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #779
Raoul Duke
Banned User

yea, this film should have it's tongue placed firmly in it's cheek. that doesn't mean it should be stupid and brainless.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #780
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

I hope we do get to see Adam Warlock at some point.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #781
fixxxer
Side-Kick

On a separate note:
* Time travel - Yay or nay?
* Multiverse - Yay or nay?

I know both concepts play a huge role in the comics, but I would actually prefer if both were kept out of the MCU.

Time travel has never been convincingly or logically explained in any medium I've ever come across. The amount time and exposition required therein would render said medium ineffective. Ha, see... my own little paradox.

I've also felt that the multiverse concept reduces the stakes to some extent. Earth's been destroyed? No problemo... that wasn't 'our' Earth. Thanos turned so and so into a Vince Carter Raptors jersey? Here comes the 'alternate dimension' version of said so an so sliding neatly into place. Bleh.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #782
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

subscribing.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #783
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

fixxxer i agree completely with everything you just said. frankly, that scares me a little.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #784
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
On a separate note:

I know both concepts play a huge role in the comics, but I would actually prefer if both were kept out of the MCU.

Time travel has never been convincingly or logically explained in any medium I've ever come across. The amount time and exposition required therein would render said medium ineffective. Ha, see... my own little paradox.

I've also felt that the multiverse concept reduces the stakes to some extent. Earth's been destroyed? No problemo... that wasn't 'our' Earth. Thanos turned so and so into a Vince Carter Raptors jersey? Here comes the 'alternate dimension' version of said so an so sliding neatly into place. Bleh.
totally agree with you 100%

Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #785
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
On a separate note:

Star Trek just did time travel and a multiverse and that movie not only received huge praise but brought in a whole new generation of fans. We gotta stop assuming the general public are this separate, dumber entity. They can handle time travel and multiverses as much as we can. Sliders and Stargate both lasted so long for a reason (and Sliders was on Fox. FOX!).

Personally I've never had a problem with the multiverse in any medium. For one it's not that hard for me to wrap my head around and as Crisis on Infinite Earth showed, when a person loses their reality and everyone they ever loved in that reality it's a very heartbreaking thing. No alternate version helps that. There is no place like home so I don't see an alternate reality as this super fixer upper of a solution, really.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow

Last edited by Savage; 12-15-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #786
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

The thing is, both topics are easily avoidable. I personally would feel better without either concept but I wouldn't throw a fit if they introduced either.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #787
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Star Trek just did time travel and a multiverse and that movie not only received huge praise but brought in a whole new generation of fans. We gotta stop assuming the general public are this separate, dumber entity. They can handle time travel and multiverses as much as we can. Sliders and Stargate both lasted so long for a reason (and Sliders was on Fox. FOX!).

Personally I've never had a problem with the multiverse in any medium. For one it's not that hard for me to wrap my head around and as Crisis on Infinite Earth showed, when a person loses their reality and everyone they ever loved in that reality it's a very heartbreaking thing. No alternate version helps that. There is no place like home so I don't see an alternate reality as this super fixer upper of a solution, really.
There's no questioning that they did a good job of rebooting the franchise, but their primary (prime, if you will ) objective was just that... rebooting the franchise.

The thing is, whenever you use time travel/multiverse concepts, paradoxes and logic gaps are inevitable. My intention wasn't to talk down to the GA at all. My point is that introducing these aspects would intrinsically take away from a GotG movie. Not 'ruin' it or anything... just take that little bit away. Consider the following two 'extreme' options:

1. Just gloss over time travel, etc. like 'Looper' did. Introduce inconsistent constructs and rules, and explain them away by making the viewers abundantly aware that the movie isn't interested in exploring the nature of time travel. The weakest aspect of the film was that no one knew how anything worked... including Rian Johnson. That IMO was the difference between a good movie and a great one.

2. Go the 'Primer' route where you obsess over the rules and go over the minutia in painstaking detail. This would take away from the action/adventure/space aspects, which ought to be the primary focus of a GotG movie.

Last edited by fixxxer; 12-15-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #788
Savage
Earth Rocker

Understandable and very good examples, btw. I just don't see how going into all the details of time travel would ruin the fun. It's not something that's difficult to comprehend. Time travel has consequences and once everybody is on that train of thought you're good. I'm honestly pretty excited to see how it works in the upcoming X-men: Days Of Future Past. I guess that's just the Doctor Who and DC comics fan in me that loves all of that time travel paradox stuff.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #789
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

There are plenty of examples of good movies that relied on completely illogical/implausible time travel premises: Terminator 1&2, Star Trek IV, Star Trek FC, Star Trek (2009), all the Back to the Future movies, and innumerable tv shows and comic books.

I understand its a staple of scifi these days, but its been done to death and as i said before, it makes no sense whatsoever. The only things that make sense are time dilation (relativity) and the theoretical idea of multiple universes (parralel realities similar to our own, but at different points in "time"). The idea that you can go backwards and forwards in time and manipulate events in your own reality DOES NOT MAKE ANY LOGICAL SENSE WHATSOEVER. Plus its impossible, regardless of any future technological breakthrough.

Sorry, but thems the facts. that said, its such a convenient plot contrivance, and people seem to like it, so im sure there will continue to be stories that incorporate it.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #790
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Star Lord Role In GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Narrowed Down To Zachary Levi, Jim Strurgess And A Mystery Man.

Quote:
Just before Hollywood shuts down for the holidays, Marvel Studios has narrowed its shortlist of actors to star in James Gunn's "Guardians of the Galaxy," with Zachary Levi and Jim Sturgess still in contention to play team leader Peter Quill. Better known as Star-Lord, Quill is the son of a human mother and alien father. A charming troublemaker who serves as an interplanetary policeman, Quill leads a rag-tag group of superheroes (Drax the Destroyer, a raccoon named Rocket and a sword-wielding woman named Gamora) in an effort to protect the solar system from an evil alien race. The character isn't as well known as other Marvel superheroes such as Iron Man, Captain America or Thor, but Quill is still a plum role for thesps looking to boost their international profile.

Marvel reportedly made test deals with five potential leading men several weeks ago, though "Cloud Atlas" star Sturgess is the only one from that list to remain in contention. Levi was not featured on the initial group, though sources tell Variety that Marvel has a lot of faith in the "Chuck" star, who plays a supporting role in "Thor: The Dark World."

Levi stepped in to replace Joshua Dallas as Fandral, one of the Warriors Three, in the comicbook sequel, and Marvel is said to be impressed with his "Guardians" test and open to continuing their relationship. Marvel has had its eye on Levi for a while, as he had been in talks to play Fandral in the original "Thor" before NBC decided to order more episodes of "Chuck."

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is among the more humorous properties in Marvel's stable, and Levi has proved his comedy chops over the course of five seasons as the star of NBC's "Chuck."

Sturgess has much more experience as a leading man on the bigscreen with starring turns in Robert Luketic's "21," Peter Weir's "The Way Back" and in Julie Taymor's "Across the Universe." He also showed off his range playing multiple characters in WB's "Cloud Atlas" and has also already led a team of guardians, having voiced the lead role in Zack Snyder's animated pic "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole."
While Levi and Sturgess remain frontrunners to play Star-Lord, sources caution that an unnamed third actor may be tested after the holidays. As for the other actors who reportedly inked test deals, none are hurting for work: Eddie Redmaybe is in negotiations to join Wachowski Starship's big-budget sci-fi pic "Jupiter Ascending," while Joel Edgerton recently signed on to play the villain opposite Natalie Portman and Michael Fassbender in Lynne Ramsay's "Jane Got a Gun."

Should either Levi or Sturgess come away with the coveted role, CAA will have bragging rights, as it represents both actors.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118063930/

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Last edited by TheIrishAvenger; 12-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #791
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #792
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Oh God no.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 12-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #793
Chewy
REDACTED

Wait, what?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #794
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
There are plenty of examples of good movies that relied on completely illogical/implausible time travel premises: Terminator 1&2, Star Trek IV, Star Trek FC, Star Trek (2009), all the Back to the Future movies, and innumerable tv shows and comic books.

I understand its a staple of scifi these days, but its been done to death and as i said before, it makes no sense whatsoever. The only things that make sense are time dilation (relativity) and the theoretical idea of multiple universes (parralel realities similar to our own, but at different points in "time"). The idea that you can go backwards and forwards in time and manipulate events in your own reality DOES NOT MAKE ANY LOGICAL SENSE WHATSOEVER. Plus its impossible, regardless of any future technological breakthrough.

Sorry, but thems the facts. that said, its such a convenient plot contrivance, and people seem to like it, so im sure there will continue to be stories that incorporate it.
Wait, were we arguing the logic of time travel or the entertainment value?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #795
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

This has to be BS. Levi is already Fandral and Marvel is not going to have the same actor play 2 different characters in the same universe.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #796
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
This has to be BS. Levi is already Fandral and Marvel is not going to have the same actor play 2 different characters in the same universe.
Variety don't BS.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #797
Chewy
REDACTED

Variety gets and prints BS from time to time.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #798
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I'd be okay with Levi....he could do the roguish Han Solo thing pretty well. Sturgess would wind up looking like a lost teenager.

But let's have fun and speculate wildly about the "mystery third man." Fillion --- you all KNOW it's Fillion.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #799
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

[QUOTE=Chewy;24890069]Variety gets and prints BS from time to time.[/QUOTE]

I still doubt that this is BS...

INTERSTELLAR

Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #800
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
But let's have fun and speculate wildly about the "mystery third man." Fillion --- you all KNOW it's Fillion.
Chiwetel Ejiofor

Closed Thread