Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Default Re: Dammit, Janet! The official Wasp thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Say what you want about casting, but I think the role is tailor-made for Zooey:

There's really nobody else out there who totally embodies Janet's manic pixie dream girl image. If Marvel casts her, it will be a stroke of pure genius.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
Angamb
Banned User

I loved Zooey and Joshep G. Lewit on 500 days

but Im watching the New girl show and... her character isnt as great as I thought it would be

Im not sure if I Zooey is a good choice. I think they should sign other kind of actress for the role.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
J'adore
Vous

The thing about Wasp is that she's always been headstrong. And when put up against Ant-Man, she always seems to be the more confident and ballsy of the two (yes, even through the abuse storyline). Zooey just seems too Manic Pixie Dream Girl, when what you really want is Girly Bruiser

Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #30
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I want Autumn Reeser for the role. I think she would look perfect and has the right fun personality.

And yes, I want the wings. I hope she even flies around with them not wearing her costume. Maybe she has to shrink out of her clothes one time to escape, so isn't wearing anything, or very little. I think she could look quite sexy, almost like a fairy.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #31
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Ugh.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #32
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'adore View Post
The thing about Wasp is that she's always been headstrong. And when put up against Ant-Man, she always seems to be the more confident and ballsy of the two (yes, even through the abuse storyline). Zooey just seems too Manic Pixie Dream Girl, when what you really want is Girly Bruiser
I don't think so. Girly Bruiser, that is; Janet is definitely a MPDG.
Janet is a fashionista, and pretty shallow when it comes right down to it. Most of her conversations between missions tend to revolve around what kind of clothes to wear and just how hunky each superhero is. She kind of has a vicious fetish for playing on Hank Pym's jealousy at every available opportunity.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #33
Derrick9592
Side-Kick

Just something out of the blue, but what about Selma Blair as Janet?

Derrick9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #34
Silvermoth
Avenger

That could be interesting. Selma is pretty good with comedy.

I have a feeling they'll go for an Asian actress though. I wouldn't mind, it would be quite interesting. I'll have to think of a good pick though

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #35
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Janet is a fashionista, and pretty shallow when it comes right down to it. Most of her conversations between missions tend to revolve around what kind of clothes to wear and just how hunky each superhero is. She kind of has a vicious fetish for playing on Hank Pym's jealousy at every available opportunity.
Yeah, Janet is not a girly bruiser. If you make her that, you completely change her personality. Why make her that when there are others who are more like that - eg Ms Marvel or She-Hulk.

Janet has sometimes come across as slightly air-headish, but that's partly an act, as she has proven herself a capable leader of the Avengers and a smart thinker. She has been described before as the Jackie Kennedy of comic book women. Her classic hairstyle is even reminiscent of hers.

In terms of her personality, I think she's like every quirky, slightly geeky and spunky female character you get on these shows, whether sitcoms or action series. She should be quick talking and quick witted with smart comments coming out of her mouth frequently.

That's why I like her portrayal on A:EMH.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 07-26-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #36
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Yeah, Janet is not a girly bruiser. If you make her that, you completely change her personality. Why make her that when there are others who are more like that - eg Ms Marvel or She-Hulk.

Janet has sometimes come across as slightly air-headish, but that's partly an act, as she has proven herself a capable leader of the Avengers and a smart thinker. She has been described before as the Jackie Kennedy of comic book women. Her classic hairstyle is even reminiscent of hers.

In terms of her personality, I think she's like every quirky, slightly geeky and spunky female character you get on these shows, whether sitcoms or action series. She should be quick talking and quick witted with smart comments coming out of her mouth frequently.

ZOOEY ZOOEY ZOOEY

Seriously: have I mentioned how much Zooey Deschanel fits that description of Wasp....?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #37
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I just wanted to point out that Janet should also seem like a celebrity. That's part of why Pym has often felt inferior next to her. She naturally hogs the limelight and reporters want to know trivial things about her or her next fashion outfit instead of Pym's heroics. I've mentioned Jackie Kennedy, but the relationship between those two is often similar to Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe. DiMaggio was supposed to be known in his own right as a baseball player, but he often paled in significance next to Marilyn.

Or another analogy is Farah Fawcett and Lee Majors. Majors was often overshadowed by his wife even though he had his own popular TV show.

So yeah, Hank should sometimes almost come across as Mr Van Dyne instead of her being Mrs Pym.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #38
FVD
Jolly Loves You

I wouldn't mind Autumn Reeser for Janet. MEW too if she doesn't end up as Mary Jane.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #39
marcvader
Lurker #1

I find Janet to be a really bubbly girly-girl and I don't find Zooey to be that type of girl.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #40
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

They need a fun character like Jan in these Marvel movies. You'd think she seems like the typical Joss Whedon character he would normally write. She should almost be like a female RDJ - very charismatic and quick witted and charming. A celebrity who loves the spotlight. In terms of celebrity status within the Marvel universe, she is like a female Tony Stark.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #41
J'adore
Vous

Quote:
Quote:

Really? In the Ultimate Universe (which is what the MCU bases off) she's quite ballsy and fierce! But those descriptions of her would be fun to see as well in the movie I just don't think Zooey can pull it off! She'd be a weak presence compared to the rest of the Avengers. Also, a Girly bruiser is quoted as
Quote:
The majority of Action Girls out there are all fairly feminine in their own right, but there tends to be a line drawn between exactly how feminine an Action Girl can be. This character however defies that. She will be a badass, but she can just as easily be the girliest of girly girls.
They're different to Action Girls. Janet is a girly, fun, bubbly fashionista but is also quite gritty and cunning when the time comes.

I like the suggestion for Autumn.... Surprisingly fits.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
They need a fun character like Jan in these Marvel movies. You'd think she seems like the typical Joss Whedon character he would normally write. She should almost be like a female RDJ - very charismatic and quick witted and charming. A celebrity who loves the spotlight. In terms of celebrity status within the Marvel universe, she is like a female Tony Stark.
This is my take, too. The main difference is that Tony is driven by tragedy and his own obsessive, borderline egomaniacal tendencies. Jan should be more purely of the "wow, this is so awesome!" mindset; she's a nice person who likes helping people, and likes showing off, becoming a superhero is a natural extension.

Basically, the key to doing Janet is that she has to be the kind of person that everyone likes. She may seem a little air-headed on first look, but she's too nice to hold it against her ( and those who actually know her find out that she's the kind of heiress who started with X million dollars, and turned it into 10X million dollars ).

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #43
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
This is my take, too. The main difference is that Tony is driven by tragedy and his own obsessive, borderline egomaniacal tendencies. Jan should be more purely of the "wow, this is so awesome!" mindset; she's a nice person who likes helping people, and likes showing off, becoming a superhero is a natural extension.

Basically, the key to doing Janet is that she has to be the kind of person that everyone likes. She may seem a little air-headed on first look, but she's too nice to hold it against her ( and those who actually know her find out that she's the kind of heiress who started with X million dollars, and turned it into 10X million dollars ).
That's what I liked about Autumn Reeser's character in "No Ordinary Family". She was one of the few in there who thought that having super powers was so cool and kept making all kinds of comic book references. The other characters (like Julie Benz) didn't really seem to want to embrace her powers but keep them hidden.

I think people should make assumptions about Janet that she's some spoilt rich ***** and airheaded heiress, but they'll find out they're wrong about her. She is genuinely altruistic and hasn't just lived off her father's money but put in a lot of hard work. But she should almost seem at first like a Playgirl (if you can call that the equivalent of a Playboy?) with whom there is more to than meets the eye.

And it should be that at first Tony might think (if he's not still dating Pepper) that the two of them should be very compatible because they're both party animals, but discovers that in fact she's like him in wanting to be with a male Pepper equivalent (ie Hank) who does all the hard work but is often underappreciated, but really she does appreciate him. She's just a tease and a flirt and pretends not to notice because she's trying to get him to come out of himself.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #44
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

I don't personally like Autumn Reeser for the role.

The MEW suggestion is interesting. Hadn't thought of that before.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #45
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

Anna Kendrick, great actress, and she's banging Edgar Wright

Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #46
chronos
Side-Kick

I gotta say, MEW has got my vote. She's a good actress, she's got a great working relationship with Edgar, and she's famous enough to be a lead role, but not overly famous to the degree that she'd take a huge bite out of the budget to cast. She's proven she can do action roles, but also keep them lighthearted enough to show that the character's having fun.

chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #47
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I think Kendrick is too small for the role personally, but I wouldn't complain if she were cast.
I do like MEW for this heroine only.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #48
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Isn't Wasp supposed to be small?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #49
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If I recall correctly, Jan is normally listed as being 5'4". They might've changed it over the years.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #50
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Really? I thought she was much closer to the size of a wasp.