The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

View Poll Results: Should NOVA be in GOTG
Yes! But just as Richard Rider a High school student 3 5.26%
YES bring on NOVA, deal with origin story later 32 56.14%
At least show us the Nova Corps, forget Rider for now 10 17.54%
just stick with the Guardians for now 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Default Re: Where's the love for NOVA???

I don't really agree with that. I think it was Spider-Man that really convinced people that superhero movies could still work, after the disaster that was Batman & Robin. Blade only made $70 million in the U.S. Spidey made more than that in ONE weekend. It was certainly a modest hit and probably helped put the current comic book movie boom in motion, but I really don't think it gets the credit for setting it off.

Plus, Blade also fits into a different sort of genre. It's a superhero film to some extent, but vampires are generally a different area of geekdom. There are people out there who go to see ANY movie that has to do with vamps who have ZERO interest in superheroes.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I don't really agree with that. I think it was Spider-Man that really convinced people that superhero movies could still work, after the disaster that was Batman & Robin. Blade only made $70 million in the U.S. Spidey made more than that in ONE weekend. It was certainly a modest hit and probably helped put the current comic book movie boom in motion, but I really don't think it gets the credit for setting it off.

Plus, Blade also fits into a different sort of genre. It's a superhero film to some extent, but vampires are generally a different area of geekdom. There are people out there who go to see ANY movie that has to do with vamps who have ZERO interest in superheroes.
I think what Blade did was show studios that there is money to be made on these properties. What Spider-Man did was show that there is big money to be made on these properties.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Perhaps. But remember... this film has to make BIG money. Because it's going to take big money to make it.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Oh definitely, this movie is going to need a $150 million budget.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #30
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yeah, that's why it's such a risk. I applaud Marvel for giving it a shot but... if they don't pull this off, it could set back the genre.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
Fives
Side-Kick

I always liked Nova, he's one of my fav Marvel cosmic characters, along with Star Lord, and the GOTG, but I don't really think he should be in this movie. This movie should just focus on GOTG, and save Nova for later. I think they should maybe wait, and see how they do with this movie, and start on planning Nova's introduction later.

Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #32
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:

What about X-Men?

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 07-20-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #33
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Yeah, that's why it's such a risk. I applaud Marvel for giving it a shot but... if they don't pull this off, it could set back the genre.
Even if it was a colossal failure, it's not going to set back the genre, no more than Green Lantern did. We're well past the point whether Hollywood thinks superhero movies are profitable or not. After a good number of movies have come close to making a billion dollars or made more, they know that it's a viable genre. Moreover, we now have a movie studio dedicated solely to making comic book movies, so the genre will be just fine.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #34
obin_gam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I think we're arguing two different things actually. I think Marvel takes into account what's popular within the comic community when it makes those decisions on who to bring forward into movies and tv. I still wouldn't rule out Nova making an appearance in this movie. Not saying it's the major sticking point in their decision making but they do take it into account. It's why I think a character like Hawkeye made it into Avengers.
But wasnt Iron Man only a b-list hero before the movie was announced? Arguably not anywhere near how big he is seen now. I dont think the popularity among the comic fans matter, I think theyre going for diversity and good scripts/ides/pitches before anything else when deciding what movies they're doing.

- Gene Wilder
obin_gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #35
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Save Nova for a sequel I reckon.
X

I want to see Nova too, he's very interesting for a B-List character. He needs to get more media exposure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obin_gam View Post
But wasnt Iron Man only a b-list hero before the movie was announced?
As a Marvel character, Iron Man was definitely not a B-List Superhero.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #36
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

He was in the sense that he could barely sustain his own title.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #37
metaphysician
Side-Kick

More importantly, he was B-list in the sense that he had little meaningful public exposure. Remember, what people who read comics know is basically irrelevant, as there are too few of us to matter.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #38
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obin_gam View Post
But wasnt Iron Man only a b-list hero before the movie was announced? Arguably not anywhere near how big he is seen now. I dont think the popularity among the comic fans matter, I think theyre going for diversity and good scripts/ides/pitches before anything else when deciding what movies they're doing.
I honestly don't know where this idea that Iron Man was a B list Marvel character started. You're certainly not the first person to say that.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #39
ArcAdeAlchemist

If they do have him.. Please don't make him as weak as he is in US.. he doesn't have to destroy planets either.. A good balance for moviegoers and comic-readers alike

ArcAdeAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #40
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
More importantly, he was B-list in the sense that he had little meaningful public exposure. Remember, what people who read comics know is basically irrelevant, as there are too few of us to matter.
Iron Man's profile prior to his film is greatly underplayed. He had his own animated series in the 90s, and had been appearing (though admittedly almost always along side bigger names like Spider-Man, Hulk, Cap, and Wolverine) on tv shirts, coffee mugs, coloring books, in video games, action figure lines, etc. for several years.

He was definitely several levels above where GotG are now. Basically (prior to films), the marvel characters that have made it to the silver screen could be ranked this way:

A-List (Extremely High public awareness): Spider-Man, X-Men
B-List (High public awareness): Fantastic 4, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers
C-List (some level of public awareness): Daredevil, Punisher, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider
D-List (Little or no public awareness): Blade, Man-Thing

All of the new franchises on Marvel's slate are C-list at best...Maybe more towards D-list. I think saying GoTG are anywhere near the point Iron Man was before his first movie is a gross overstatement.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #41
chronos
Side-Kick

Nova is pretty awesome. But, as previously mentioned, Star-Lord is gearing up to be the lead character and audience surrogate. including Nova in the the sequel will clear up space in a movie that already is filled with having to introduce 5 brand new (to the MCU), largely unknown characters as well as a whole cosmic storyline that's only been barely hinted at in "Avengers". Plus, right off the bat, Nova might be seen as being too similar to Green Lantern, which is a film that left a stigma Marvel will want to steer well away from.

chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #42
Yellow Cyclone
Pessimist

i thought nova was technically tied to F4 at fox?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #43
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I doubt that very much.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #44
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Cyclone View Post
i thought nova was technically tied to F4 at fox?
Yeah, the Frankie Raye version of Nova

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #45
Iron-Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
A-List (Extremely High public awareness): Spider-Man, X-Men
B-List (High public awareness): Fantastic 4, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers
C-List (some level of public awareness): Daredevil, Punisher, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider
D-List (Little or no public awareness): Blade, Man-Thing
Hulk should probably be an A-lister, mainly due to the 70's tv series.

Iron-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #46
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Fan View Post
Hulk should probably be an A-lister, mainly due to the 70's tv series.
Hulk and Captain America are like Wonder Woman, cuspers in my eyes...both are below true A-listers (Spider-Man, X-Men on marvel, Superman and Batman in DC) but above true B-listers (Flash, Green Lantern DC, Iron Man, Thor in Marvel.)

I'd say post Avengers though, Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, and Thor are all A-list.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #47
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick

well be careful what you ask for. im a HUGE Nova fan....Richard Rider Nova that is. and i wouldnt be surprised to see him pop up, hes been linked to the GoTG a lot recently. they go together pretty good actually. but the only Nova ive seen Marvel use lately is annoying Jeph Loebs kid Nova. and i want NO parts of that clown. and Richard hasnt been a teenager in a while. he stepped up his game big time as a leader and as a powerhouse. his powerlevels have gotten pretty crazy here lately. he pretty much CAN destroy planets. so a little depowering wouldnt hurt. lol

TikkiEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #48
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Yeah, the Nova that has been showing up in Ultimate Spider-Man is actually that douche Sam Alexander, the most terrible character ever that seems won't go away.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #49
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick

so glad im not alone in my Sam Alexander hate. has nothing to do with him replacing Rich. the character is just loud, obnoxious, grating, and just plain bad. lol

TikkiEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #50
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I haven't met one person that likes Sam Alexander.