Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #701
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Default Re: At least 12 murdered at midnight showing of TDKR

About Jessica Redfield's (one of the victims) blog:

Quote:
Yet it's her blog post from June that puts the saddest punctuation mark on this tragic story. "I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings.

Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/169...hootings.jhtml

Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #702
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
I just remembered. There's a page in The Dark Knight Returns that involves a guy going into a theatre and....

Don't want to think about it.
I saw that comic page today. Some people think that this bastard was inspired by that comic scene.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #703
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

It's hard to smell the roses sometimes. Life seems to be nothing more than a series of passing events.

But man, I hope we can all learn from Jessica.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #704
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

I'm tearing up again....all because she wanted to see a ****ing movie.....this is so sad.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #705
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Re: 12 people killed at Dark Knight Rises premiere

I wonder if it says more about me or more about modern society in general that I'm totally not shocked or surprised when I read stuff like this.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #706
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I wonder if it says more about me or more about modern society in general that I'm totally not shocked or surprised when I read stuff like this.
It's a sad reality that things like this keep happening and will probably continue to happen. No place is safe enough it seems. School, the mall, movie theaters. It's really depressing to think about.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #707
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
Do we really have to bring Batman into this? He's a fictional character that had nothing to do with the shooting. Making him seem like some sort of "guardian angel" or "symbol of peace" for an event as tragic as this just comes off as...goofy and almost dumbs down the seriousness of the situation.
No, I don't think it has really something to do with Batman. But right now I'm watching news at TV and a psychologist is trying to explain why the Batman movie was choosen. Oh well that's so stupid.

IRON MAN III - THOR: THE DARK WORLD - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #708
-Catwoman-
Side-Kick

So many people have commented about how strangely they felt watching the movie and thinking to themselves that a terrorist attack is quite possible. Especially in a blockbuster midnight showing. I haven't seen the movie yet, but likewise I too had trouble sleeping all last night. I couldn't sleep a damn wink and when my boyfriend texted me to look at the news this morning, I was in a complete state of shock. It's strange how we all revert back to our intuitions and instincts and how interconnected we are to one another.

My heart goes out to those families and friends affected by people like this. I can't describe how sad and hurt I am that James Holmes a 24 yr old Guy would do something like this.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #709
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

The Batman movie was chosen because it was guaranteed to be the most popular and the most crowded. Nothing less nothing more. It's just sadistic irony at play that the guy comes off as trying to imitate the guys Batman takes down in his franchise.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #710
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Me neither. It's disconcerting actually. I'm currently doing some research to find out whether it's just desensitization or if it's a personality disorder

Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #711
Ryudoz
Cleaning woman?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm tearing up again....all because she wanted to see a ****ing movie.....this is so sad.
After reading her twitter page and this article, I admit that I too began to get teary-eyed. This whole ordeal is senseless violence at its apex, taking away lives from people who did no wrong. They simply paid for a movie ticket.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #712
socool
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion View Post
No, I don't think it has really something to do with Batman. But right now I'm watching news at TV and a psychologist is trying to explain why the Batman movie was choosen. Oh well that's so stupid.
I know why TDKR was chosen. The dude obviously wanted to go on a killing spree, as evident by the booby-trapped apartment, and there really isn't a better place to get so many people together at one place with low security than a movie theater for one of the biggest films this year at midnight. Kind of surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened before now that I think about it.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #713
itsleroy
Side-Kick

RIP.

Extremely sad, heart-wrenching.....

Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #714
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
I know why TDKR was chosen. The dude obviously wanted to go on a killing spree, as evident by the booby-trapped apartment, and there really isn't a better place to get so many people together at one place with low security than a movie theater for one of the biggest films this year at midnight. Kind of surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened before now that I think about it.
I can see studios stopping midnight premieres for a while in fear of copycat incidents.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #715
HolyPurpleSocks
Tusi Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
Well then, I'm sunk. If this is another "dozens die because some selfish ******* needs to cry for attention and help" then there is no hope in the world. LESS hope in our world than in the Gotham City that Nolan has envisioned... a sad statement.

It still doesn't change the fact that we should spend time praying about this. We need to start acting. Columbine didn't wake us up. Virginia Tech didn't wake us up. Norway didn't wake us up. What is it going to TAKE?

The conversation should be no about how to STOP this from happening again. Yes, mourn the victims. But prevent this from happening again. Talk about gun control laws, talk about ways to stop a person my age from getting a gun, gas grenades, explosives, and riot gear.

To quote Batman: "He'll have time to grieve. I can't let him grieve. Grief is the enemy. There's no time for grief. There's no room for grief. Grief turns into acceptance. Forgiveness. Grief forgives what can never be forgiven. NEVER."

Deal with the problem. Grieve later. Fix the problem first, so that we don't have to grieve again.

-R
Amazing post. I agree entirely, we need to act, not dwell on tragedy...people can point the finger and claim a film to be the scapegoat all they want, but when it really comes down to it, the failure of our nation to be able to control what weapons fall into who's hands is the true culprit.

Innercity Bonfire, IMO.

"She wants to kill you, Dick..."
--George Clooney (to Chris O'Donnell)
'Batman & Robin', 1997
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #716
Chronoless
Banned User

I live in Denver Colorado and my Idiot Brother can only think about "DKR is not going to break Avengers record this weekend" because of the incident. Right now I could care less about DC or Marvel, I'm worry about those people who are affected. going to give blood and try to support those people. My point is if you are going to be a FAN BOY today don't use a case like this as a or joke about some thing like this today.

Last edited by Hobgoblin; 07-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #717
dnno1
Side-Kick

I will be honest with you, though, violence at movie theaters is nothing new (I can recall that happening years ago at films like "Colors" and "Boys in the Hood"), it's just that it is more unusual to see it happen this way and at a comic book movie.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #718
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

I will say that I wasn't shocked beyond belief, things like this happen so frequently that a lot of what humanity is capable of doing to one another no longer surprises me but it's still disgusting none the less this happened.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #719
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

I have merged the discussion thread for this in the Batman Forum, with this one....we wanted the Batman Forums to continue to be the place to enjoy all that is Batman, and discuss the movie. The discussion will continue here in Community.
Thank you!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #720
Nevincer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

Can't handle this. Stepping away from the PC for a bit...

Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #721
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoless View Post
I live in Denver Colorado and my Idiot Brother can only think about "DKR is not going to break Avengers record this weekend" because of the incident, I told him he needs to go Suck D*** because right now I could care less about DC or Marvel, I'm worry about those people who are affected. going to give blood and try to support those people. My point is if you are going to be a FAN BOY today don't use a case like this as a or joke about some thing like this today.
Agreed. Some one here earlier today got banned for making a stupid ass joke about this incident. This is nothing to joke about, some people need to have some class and show some compassion for your fellow human beings.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #722
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Indeed, this is no time for jokes or box office worries.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #723
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoless View Post
I live in Denver Colorado and my Idiot Brother can only think about "DKR is not going to break Avengers record this weekend" because of the incident, I told him he needs to go Suck D*** because right now I could care less about DC or Marvel, I'm worry about those people who are affected. going to give blood and try to support those people. My point is if you are going to be a FAN BOY today don't use a case like this as a or joke about some thing like this today.
No offense, but your brother is an ass.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #724
arturo
Me

Unhappy Re: At least 12 murdered at midnight showing of TDKR

My prayers and condolences to all families who lost someone there.

R.I.P.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #725
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/batman...-holmes-photo/

James Holmes

I guess on the surface, no one would have thought.
I don't know. His mother didn't seem at all surprised with what she told the media.

Closed Thread