View Poll Results: Which is the best?
Batman Begins (2005) 64 18.55%
The Dark Knight (2008) 144 41.74%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 137 39.71%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #301
RIPCOVictims
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fear. Chaos. Pain. Vote for your favorite Nolan Batfilm!

1. BB
2. TDK
3. TDKR

I feel the same way as an earlier poster who said that they tend to watch just particular scenes of TDK, but they can watch BB from beginning to end no problem. I've always tried to figure out why I feel that way - I guess I just prefer the graphic novel-style that BB has, and like some others have said, I do think it felt more like a 'Batman movie' than the later two. I will readily admit however that TDK definitely has the more impressive and memorable scenes - it was truly an experience to watch in theaters.

I guess I also have to confess that I am a part of the minority here (along with Killing Joker) who was disappointed with TDKR. By no means am I saying it was terrible - it just wasn't as good as the first two to me. And for me, repeat viewings didn't make the problems I had with the movie better, they just stood out to me even more.

RIPCOVictims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #302
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Which is a shame because Begins is way better than TDKR, IMO.
Im in agreement with this!

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #303
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Batman Begins. Easily.

To me, there's a story arc in it that feels like it reaches it's climax and culminates into a fully rounded character by the end. When you really look at the focus on Bruce Wayne and Batman, there's a raw emotional quality to Bruce's journey in that movie where he has to go through several different stages of his become a hero, and Bale pulls it all off very well. There's also a stylization that's always been present in both the comics and the other movies that's very much present, which not only adds an authenticity from the mythology, but gives off the idea that there was a real effort to translate something of a world that is still Gotham City and not just Chicago or Pittsburgh with Batman in it.

It also brings in two villains that had never been touched in any medium outside of the cartoons, blends them seamlessly into the narrative, which brings something fresh for anyone who was a fan of the other set of films. It was the beginning of the tone being taken with the same complexity of the comics, but still retains a clear sense of fun. The other two had fun, too, but it was harder to find under some of the hardlined seriousness.

Dark Knight has some stronger technical aspects, and is easily one of the top two comic book movies of all time, but... I have to be honest, it just feels alot less like what all of the best interpretations of Batman are compared to Begins. It's too grounded in reality for it's own good, too focused on the threat of The Joker or the chaos he commits, too bleak and unfocused on Batman as a heroic presence, too much of it's own thing rather than a piece of a larger mythology, and just harder to watch. It's not hard to watch by any means, because again, it's a fantastic movie. But as a movie that captures the spirit of Batman? Eh...

Hell, I honestly felt Begins could have been a standalone movie and still have remained one of the top versions of Batman to ever be portrayed.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #304
CJ
Derpy Derp

I agree with that, Batman. When I first saw Begins I was blown away. (I wasn't expecting much after B&R..) I was so absorbed in Bruce's time in prison, his journey through Iceland and training that I FORGOT he would eventually become Batman. I just wanted to see what would happen next with Bruce. I remember leaving the theater wondering how Nolan could top that.

At first I thought Begins was better, but upon repeat viewings of TDK, I started to like it best. Heath was just amazing as The Joker, and it really had a sense of suspense that Begins lacked. I wasn't that worried about what Ras was going to do to Gotham. I knew Batman would stop him. But with TDK, it was different. The Joker was an almost invincible ally. Batman could beat the tar out of him all he wanted to, but it didn't help anything, and it only made The Joker all the more gleeful.

Then came Rachel's death. Killing the love interest. NO comic-book movie had ever done that before. TDK had a level of intensity that made the movie feel like a suspense/thriller. You WANTED Batman to take The Joker down. And when he finally got him with the arm-blades, you just wanted to stand up and cheer.

Begins and TDK are two fantastic movies. A shame the series had to end with TDKR.. I know a lot of people like it, but I just don't get it. Bruce Wayne spends a majority of the film IN A HOLE. How is that the least bit interesting?

It could've worked, had Nolan given some suspense to it. Put some armed guards there watching everyone, making sure no one tries to escape. Have Bruce be locked up in a cell every night instead of being able to freely walk around. Give him time to strategize how to make his escape. Have him deal with troublesome inmates, go into some weird form of solitary confinement, get beaten by guards. Form friendships and rivalries. Push him to his limit. A little like Shawshank. Make us feel like cheering when Bruce gets out. I didn't feel that.

But it didn't have anything like that. Some guy handed Bruce a rope, his back was magically better, then he immediately begins to try and climb his way out.

Bane wasn't as terrfiying as The Joker, and I didn't feel any threat from him. I knew Batman would eventually come back to beat him.

Sonic the Hedgehog
In Theaters Summer 2017

Last edited by CJ; 08-18-2012 at 06:00 PM.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #305
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLegend View Post
I thought he very much accomplished that in BEGINS. Story wise, and even cinematography wise.
No, visually it was very, very constrained.

At that point in his career with Wally Pfister, the cinematography of all of his films seemed to be extremely focused on the actors - usually forgoing any visual focus on scenery or background to instead focus on the actors' performances through close up shot selections. And, of course, the fight cinematography was atrocious.

The art direction and sets were a major failing in BB too - primarily the Narrows; they just were SO fake and claustrophobic - which can sometimes be a good thing in film (like in B89 or Blade Running) but the pairing of the Narrows with real world Chicago made for a very jarring and cheap-looking contrast.

Plus, I dunno, I didn't like the lighting of a lot of scenes as well. It was dark, but not in an atmospheric way; just in a rather bland and uninteresting fashion. Arkham Asylum, Ra's lair, the Batcave, etc. all ended up being extremely unimpressive and mundane visually.

The only part of BB that really excelled in a visual/scenic sense was the Chicago city streets during the Batmobile chase scene.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #306
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
I agree with that, Batman. When I first saw Begins I was blown away. (I wasn't expecting much after B&R..) I was so absorbed in Bruce's time in prison, his journey through Iceland and training that I FORGOT he would eventually become Batman. I just wanted to see what would happen next with Bruce. I remember leaving the theater wondering how Nolan could top that.

At first I thought Begins was better, but upon repeat viewings of TDK, I started to like it best. Heath was just amazing as The Joker, and it really had a sense of suspense that Begins lacked. I wasn't that worried about what Ras was going to do to Gotham. I knew Batman would stop him. But with TDK, it was different. The Joker was an almost invincible ally. Batman could beat the tar out of him all he wanted to, but it didn't help anything, and it only made The Joker all the more gleeful.

Then came Rachel's death. Killing the love interest. NO comic-book movie had ever done that before. TDK had a level of intensity that made the movie feel like a suspense/thriller. You WANTED Batman to take The Joker down. And when he finally got him with the arm-blades, you just wanted to stand up and cheer.
Oh, yeah, I definitely agree with all of that. And I can certainly see why most would say The Dark Knight is superior to Begins, because as a movie by itself, it's actually a pretty amazing achievement in blending cinema and comic books, it's powerful, it's entertaining... it's alot of great things. Much like The Avengers, which I think is the opposite side of the same coin in terms of the best that the genre has to offer.

I just happen to disagree when it comes down to which one is my personal favorite. And I think it's because we can all distinguish between personal preference and technical quality. For me, Begins is the former and TDK is the latter. TDKR falling somewhere underneath, because even after two viewings, I'm still a bit mixed on how I felt about it.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #307
kewlmatto
Side-Kick

While sentimentally Begins will always be a favourite of mine (the best film about Batman himself, one of the most accurate portrayals), more objectively I have to say The Dark Knight is the best - it's such a powderkeg of a film.

The Dark Knight Rises unfortunately trails a fair way behind the two for me. Still very very good, but nowhere near the first two.

kewlmatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #308
vanson
Side-Kick

they are all 10/10 for me... and i like them all for different reasons..

vanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #309
Mob1423
LE-HOO...SEH-HER!

As one who at first really disliked TDK when seeing it opening day, I watched it for the first time in 2 years and now I say it's the best of the trilogy hands down

Mob1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #310
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It's honestly a toss up for me. If I had a gun to my head I'd say TDK, but I honestly love what each movie has to offer and love that each has something very different to offer. I feel like each movie has its own strengths and weaknesses, but together they're greater than the sum of their parts.

My personal favorite trilogy of all time.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #311
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Which is a shame because Begins is way better than TDKR, IMO.
Thats fair enough everyone has their own idea of ranking in every different order it seems.

I just cant wait to own all three to enjoy the entire trilogy, everyone was excellent to me and has something to offer for different reasons, thats what I like about this trilogy, all three feel slightly different to each other yet still very much connected which is remarkable considering it was never a planned trilogy in the first place, like SW for example.

No doubt people's opinions will change with time and repeat viewings anyway.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #312
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
It's honestly a toss up for me. If I had a gun to my head I'd say TDK, but I honestly love what each movie has to offer and love that each has something very different to offer. I feel like each movie has its own strengths and weaknesses, but together they're greater than the sum of their parts.

My personal favorite trilogy of all time.
Yeah its up their with the Bourne and original SW for me

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #313
Demon Hunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Begins and TDK are two fantastic movies. A shame the series had to end with TDKR.. I know a lot of people like it, but I just don't get it. Bruce Wayne spends a majority of the film IN A HOLE. How is that the least bit interesting?

It could've worked, had Nolan given some suspense to it. Put some armed guards there watching everyone, making sure no one tries to escape. Have Bruce be locked up in a cell every night instead of being able to freely walk around. Give him time to strategize how to make his escape. Have him deal with troublesome inmates, go into some weird form of solitary confinement, get beaten by guards. Form friendships and rivalries. Push him to his limit. A little like Shawshank. Make us feel like cheering when Bruce gets out. I didn't feel that.

But it didn't have anything like that. Some guy handed Bruce a rope, his back was magically better, then he immediately begins to try and climb his way out.

Bane wasn't as terrfiying as The Joker, and I didn't feel any threat from him. I knew Batman would eventually come back to beat him.
I would've hated to see some "cool" action scenes in the pit. This was a spiritual journey for Bruce, not some escape sequences. It served its purpose in my opinion and was great to watch.
Bane was much more terrifying to me than Heath's Joker was. I knew Joker wouldn't kill Batman, but I couldn't say the same for Bane. I care much more about Bruce than any other Gothamite.

Demon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #314
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

TDK finally hit the 100 votes mark

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #315
Kazuki
Banned User

I find it interesting that almost everyone who posts says they enjoyed BB and TDK better than TDKR, but then in the poll we see Rises being the most liked of the three. Strange, isnīt?

TDK
TDKR
BB

Batman Begins is great, but didnīt cross that line of "being just a super hero movie".

Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #316
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
No, visually it was very, very constrained.

At that point in his career with Wally Pfister, the cinematography of all of his films seemed to be extremely focused on the actors - usually forgoing any visual focus on scenery or background to instead focus on the actors' performances through close up shot selections. And, of course, the fight cinematography was atrocious.

Wally did capture the epic landscape and scenery of mountains and glaciers of Tibet / Bhutan (actually location was in Iceland) in Batman Begins.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #317
VenomShock
Side-Kick

TDKR for me. That's the Batman film I've always wanted.

It was the least flawed, maintainted the intelligence and engaging story-telling of the previous two, and it really felt like an all time classic. A film that is to Batman what Superman: The Movie is to Superman. While TDK has lines and music that'll be remembered in cinematic history, TDKR to me as a whole feels like it's much more classic. It captures the charm of old hollywood and has some beautifully memorable pieces such as the entire prison sequence. It's gold.

VenomShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #318
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post

Wally did capture the epic landscape and scenery of mountains and glaciers of Tibet / Bhutan (actually location was in Iceland) in Batman Begins.
Not at all.

It was small and inconsequential visually.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #319
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

For me,

BB: Story of Bruce Wayne becoming Batman.

TDK: Story of Harvey Dent and Joker with Batman in it.

TDKR: Story of Batman who at the end becomes Bruce Wayne.

So, Rating then as per likability -

TDKR> BB > TDK.

Rating them as technically well made movie -

TDK > TDKR > BB.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #320
joker1524
Side-Kick

Tdk hands down....its the one that moved me the most emotionally

joker1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #321
Mob1423
LE-HOO...SEH-HER!

"Batman Begins" is a well-done origin of Bruce Wayne becoming Batman

"The Dark Knight" shows the consequences of being Batman

"The Dark Knight Rises" takes Batman out of retirement and shows that although Batman is human and can be defeated, there is always a way to rise from defeat

In terms of being a Batman movie:
1.) "The Dark Knight Rises"
2.) "Batman Begins"
3.) "The Dark Knight"

In terms of being a movie overall:
1.) "Batman Begins"
2.) "The Dark Knight Rises"
3.) "The Dark Knight"

In terms of acting performances:
1.) "The Dark Knight"
3.) "Batman Begins"

In terms of music and score:
1.) "Batman Begins"
2.) "The Dark Knight"
3.) "The Dark Knight Rises"

In terms of realism:
1.) "Batman Begins"
2.) "The Dark Knight"
3.) "The Dark Knight Rises"

In terms of giving relatable morals:
1.) "Batman Begins"
3.) "The Dark Knight"

In terms of villains:
1.) "The Dark Knight"
3.) "Batman Begins"

Mob1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #322
RIPCOVictims
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
For me,

BB: Story of Bruce Wayne becoming Batman.

TDK: Story of Harvey Dent and Joker with Batman in it.

TDKR: Story of Batman who at the end becomes Bruce Wayne.

So, Rating then as per likability -

TDKR> BB > TDK.

Rating them as technically well made movie -

TDK > TDKR > BB.
you view TDK as a story where Batman simply happens to be a supporting character and yet you don't view TDKR as a movie that tells the story of Robin/JGL with Batman again serving as just a supporting character - what differentiates one movie from another in that regard?

RIPCOVictims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #323
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The Dark Knight was specifically about Harvey Dent whichever way you look at it.

The Dark Knight Rises may have other story lines but it gives us another emotional roller coaster for Bruce Wayne which resembles Batman Begins. TDK rarely gave us something really special to bite our teeth into with the characterization of Bruce Wayne.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #324
VenomShock
Side-Kick

This is how I look at it:

BB- Character Study of Bruce Wayne/Batman

TDK- Character Study of Bruce Wayne/Batman through Comparison with Harvey Dent and The Joker.

TDKR- Further Character Study amidst an emotional journey for Bruce Wayne.

VenomShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #325
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Batman Begins. Easily.

To me, there's a story arc in it that feels like it reaches it's climax and culminates into a fully rounded character by the end. When you really look at the focus on Bruce Wayne and Batman, there's a raw emotional quality to Bruce's journey in that movie where he has to go through several different stages of his become a hero, and Bale pulls it all off very well. There's also a stylization that's always been present in both the comics and the other movies that's very much present, which not only adds an authenticity from the mythology, but gives off the idea that there was a real effort to translate something of a world that is still Gotham City and not just Chicago or Pittsburgh with Batman in it.

It also brings in two villains that had never been touched in any medium outside of the cartoons, blends them seamlessly into the narrative, which brings something fresh for anyone who was a fan of the other set of films. It was the beginning of the tone being taken with the same complexity of the comics, but still retains a clear sense of fun. The other two had fun, too, but it was harder to find under some of the hardlined seriousness.

Dark Knight has some stronger technical aspects, and is easily one of the top two comic book movies of all time, but... I have to be honest, it just feels alot less like what all of the best interpretations of Batman are compared to Begins. It's too grounded in reality for it's own good, too focused on the threat of The Joker or the chaos he commits, too bleak and unfocused on Batman as a heroic presence, too much of it's own thing rather than a piece of a larger mythology, and just harder to watch. It's not hard to watch by any means, because again, it's a fantastic movie. But as a movie that captures the spirit of Batman? Eh...

Hell, I honestly felt Begins could have been a standalone movie and still have remained one of the top versions of Batman to ever be portrayed.
Your post reminds me that I've always felt like BB was the last "traditonal" Batmovie. Like the old movies, it was released in june, had the molded rubber suit, debuted new villains and a new love interest, a stylized Gotham, and even had a "suiting up" sequence. That's why sometimes I have a marathon of the burton/schumacher films and BB.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote