View Poll Results: Which is the best?
Batman Begins (2005) 64 18.50%
The Dark Knight (2008) 145 41.91%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 137 39.60%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #351
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Fear. Chaos. Pain. Vote for your favorite Nolan Batfilm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
TDK is a masterpiece. The fact that it's currently in second place to a far inferior, boring, unintentionally funny and massively flawed film like TDKR, is mind-boggling.
Replace TDK to Spider-Man 2 and TDKR to Spider-Man 3 and this would work.

Imo, TDKR is better than TDK though.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #352
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob1423 View Post
Pretty much how most haters think of it now. When I went and saw all of Nolan's Batman movies opening day, I never analyzed them throughout it all when I sat in the theater. And I would say all of the villains and their casting were perfect, not just one.

I mean seriously, I'm sure a lot of people who went into TDKR saying how it cannot bear to live up to it's predecessor and so they nitpicked every single mini flaw and they come here and make a thread for each of them.

If I did that with TDK, there'd be lots of pointless mini threads.

People just suck the point out of enjoying a movie if you're going to sit there and analyze it. Movies are entertainment, not a science project.

It's different if you want to be a critic or something but most people here aren't
Couldn't have said it better myself. Your second paragraph is pure truth. Either they had outrageous expectations or the story wasn't what they wanted it to be. Nothing but fanboy nonsense.

Last edited by Alex Logan; 08-22-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #353
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Logan View Post
Nothing but fanboy nonsense.
Actually that's a damn good post.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #354
JackWhite
Third Man

Eh, if Nolan was going to continue with the arrival of the freaks, wouldn't Two-Face have had to live? I mean Batman created Joker ---Joker created Two-Face --- Two-Face creates even more freakish villains.

JackWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #355
TheSpartanX54
The North Remembers.

Quote:
Great posts, The Joker & theLegend.

TDK is a masterpiece. The fact that it's currently in second place to a far inferior, boring, unintentionally funny and massively flawed film like TDKR, is mind-boggling.
Seriously? Boring? Unintentionally Funny?

Please explain.

TheSpartanX54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #356
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Exactly. There's not much more to say. It is one big story, each movie being a piece of the puzzle that connects together.
Quote:
I made a post earlier where I realized he was right and I thank him for making me realize how big of an impact TDK has on the trilogy as a whole
Quote:
Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLegend View Post
Exactly.

The events of The Dark Knight is what MAKES the Batman the legend he is known as at the start of TDK Rises.

BEGINS is a personal journey, and not EVERYONE in Gotham knows of the Batman, or even that he saved the day with the monorail fiasco.

The Dark Knight events are extremely important. It's also the transition piece for Bruce that elevates him from his heroic VIGILANTE persona as "the Batman" to watchful protector, always willing to do what is right, even in the face of hate DARK KNIGHT.

It's an evolution of the character that is quite essential for RISES to even take place or have any meaning.
Exactly. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
TDK easily. It's the best put together film of the lot, has the best pacing, by far the best villain and plot. TDKR's does feature Bale's best performance by far and to it's credit it is the most comicbooky film of the trillogy and TDKR and BB don't lose Batman the way TDK does but they have too many other problems for my taste. I like all of the films but TDK is the crown jewel of the franchise.
Couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Eh, if Nolan was going to continue with the arrival of the freaks, wouldn't Two-Face have had to live? I mean Batman created Joker ---Joker created Two-Face --- Two-Face creates even more freakish villains.
I thought Joker was going to be doing that. "This town deserves a better class of criminal, and I'm going to give it to them". Two Face was his weapon to break Gotham's spirit.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 08-21-2012 at 12:35 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #357
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:

It's amusing to see comments like these. Detractors desperately try to justify the poll results and reactions from the general audience.

"The only reason why The Avengers is behind TDKR is because Batman fans outnumber Marvel fans."

"Psshhh, whatevers. It's obvious people are just prisoners of the moment. TDK was a masterpiece, TDKR was ****."

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #358
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

That's kind of inaccurate, Apex.

None of them have been eloquent enough to use a term as florid as "prisoners of the moment."

Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #359
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker1524 View Post
I still don't understand the "TDK" doesn't feel like a Batman
Me neither.

I've asked several posters who felt this way to elaborate, but the answers I've always received are just as befuddling. In all honestly, I believe it's sincerely a load from purists and traditionalists who want to see their accepted interpretation of the character come to life. If it's not the Batman they wanted, then it's bad or lazy writing.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #360
Mob1423
LE-HOO...SEH-HER!

Imagine if Christopher Nolan made a 3 chapter book called "The Dark Knight Legend" (since that's the title the trilogy has been given):

Okay, so it starts out with the dawn of a new hero and like how most books start out, it takes a while for you to take interest if there's not a lot there you haven't already heard about a hero character.

Then it moves into the deeper conflicts of the story in which the hero is pushed to his limits and is given the ultimate test of whether he can handle the life of being his homeland's savior. This is the part of the book that really has your attention now and you just can't wonder how it can be written any better than this.

Finally, we move towards the aftermath of the hero's decision and with every decision, there is always a positive or negative consequence. The protagonist decides he has cleansed the world by ridding of his alter ego, but then a hidden antagonist from the first act comes seeking vengeance from his fallen leader in which the hero had slain. This new antagonist attacks the protagonist at his weakest point and then leaves him to rot by himself. The protagonist has been broken. But then the protagonist knows that in his absence of being a hero, he has forgotten the one thing that drove him to become a hero to begin with. Training himself to become more than just a man in his body and his mind, the protagonist rises from defeat as a hero and defeats the villain by sacrificing himself to save his homeland and thus making him a legend.

It all flows perfectly together. You can't just say "I only like this chapter of the book, the rest of it sucks." You either like reading the entire book or you don't

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark...I was born in it. Moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! The shadows betray you...because they belong to me."
Mob1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #361
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
That's kind of inaccurate, Apex.

None of them have been eloquent enough to use a term as florid as "prisoners of the moment."

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #362
CJ
Is gonna pump.. YOU UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The Dark Knight Rises will never be Spider-Man 3 no matter how hard its haters try. Just no.
Agreed. Spider-Man 3 is far better.

Clarence

Thursdays @ 6:30pm on Cartoon Network
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #363
Caped Crusader
The One Man Who Beat You

Quote:

Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #364
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wow.

hafizbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #365
theLegend
Banned User

Quote:
Thanks kind sir ... proud to be in the company of such another fine post like "The Joker"

Quote:
Agreed. It's classic fanboy, SHH prisoner of the moment HYPE train nonesense.

theLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #366
RIPCOVictims
Side-Kick

Quote:
Imagine if Christopher Nolan made a 3 chapter book called "The Dark Knight Legend" (since that's the title the trilogy has been given):

Okay, so it starts out with the dawn of a new hero and like how most books start out, it takes a while for you to take interest if there's not a lot there you haven't already heard about a hero character.

Then it moves into the deeper conflicts of the story in which the hero is pushed to his limits and is given the ultimate test of whether he can handle the life of being his homeland's savior. This is the part of the book that really has your attention now and you just can't wonder how it can be written any better than this.

Finally, we move towards the aftermath of the hero's decision and with every decision, there is always a positive or negative consequence. The protagonist decides he has cleansed the world by ridding of his alter ego, but then a hidden antagonist from the first act comes seeking vengeance from his fallen leader in which the hero had slain. This new antagonist attacks the protagonist at his weakest point and then leaves him to rot by himself. The protagonist has been broken. But then the protagonist knows that in his absence of being a hero, he has forgotten the one thing that drove him to become a hero to begin with. Training himself to become more than just a man in his body and his mind, the protagonist rises from defeat as a hero and defeats the villain by sacrificing himself to save his homeland and thus making him a legend.

It all flows perfectly together. You can't just say "I only like this chapter of the book, the rest of it sucks." You either like reading the entire book or you don't
I don't think that's a great analogy because I think it's a bit of a stretch to consider each movie simply a chapter in a book. (how many times has a 2+ hour movie been made out of just a single chapter?) To me, a more accurate one would be to compare each movie to a book in a series (which may/may not be a trilogy) - and in that case, I think it's entirely plausible for someone to feel that certain particular books have a better plot or are better written than others within the series - I have experienced it myself in fact.

Last edited by RIPCOVictims; 08-21-2012 at 01:07 AM.
RIPCOVictims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #367
CJ
Is gonna pump.. YOU UP!

Okay, I was joking a little bit there.

(Though I do think Spidey 3 is more "fun" than TDKR, despite all of its cheese)

Look, I'm sorry If I angered anyone with my posts. I guess I should've taken other people's opinions into consideration before criticizing the movie so harshly. Agree to disagree?

Clarence

Thursdays @ 6:30pm on Cartoon Network

Last edited by CJ; 08-21-2012 at 12:52 AM.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #368
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:

Look, I'm sorry If I angered anyone with my posts.
Why be sorry?

I dont think Spider Man 3 is better than TDKR, but I'm not gonna crow about you thinking otherwise.

If people were angered by your personal opinion that, at the end of the day will have no actual effect on their lives, just laugh at them and keep it moving.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #369
theLegend
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
To me that is a little redundant as well.

The Joker is THE freak of Gotham.

Crane is a transition character. He's out for money, and he slowly descends into madness, but Joker is the first full on freak. Crime in Gotham's natural counter point to the impact of the Batman.

Sure there are other crazies, former paitents of Arkham that he employs no less. But with Heath Ledger's tragic passing, there was really no where else to go with the character.

I think they made Two Face way more believable and compelling in TDK. Turning him into "I'm going to rob the 2nd bank of Gotham on Febuary 2nd" type dude is extremely corny, and lame.

The mob was already crippled by the Batman, Gordon and Dent then the Joker dealt them the killing blow. So what other purpose would Dent serve in the story as Two Face? "Two Face" wasn't a freak, he was a psychological weapon used by the Joker.

To me the real problem is was TDK Rises even needed to be made? Besides WB obviously pressuring the Nolans given how great and how much money TDK made.

Anyone with half of brain knew there was no way it could EVER meet, let alone exceed the expectations set forth by its ground breaking predecessor.

And without Joker, you're losing a vital element that made it such a blockbuster. Two icons battling it out. Don't get me wrong, Nolan's Bane is awesome ... but he isn't iconic or popular enough a character.

Riddler? Story wise and thematic wise he's Joker lite. With less crazy, and way less compelling or dangerous.

Sometimes I still hold onto the opinion I had after TDK and before RISES, Nolan should've just left at his two films.

TDK is truly a "drop the mic" caliber film on Batman. As good as RISES was, and it is very good in spots. It still doesn't even sniff TDK in terms of importance, impact, and entertainment value.

If he left on that film, it would be the equivelent of MJ leaving ontop after that game winner in 1998 walking off with his 6th ring. Or if Muhammed Ali, Joe Montana, Brett Farve and several other iconic athletes never held on too long and lost the overall impact of what they had at their peak.

TDK Rises was always doomed from the start.

3rd movie curse.
No Heath Ledger Joker.
Following the success of The Dark Knight.

No matter how good, it was bound to be disappointing. IMO it shouldn't have even been made. Not to mention at times on this film, I felt Nolan was merely going through the motions.

Catwoman
The Bat
The magical body recovery of Bruce Wayne (knee and vertabrae protruding back)

All "jump the shark" type moments in a franchise that up until that point was very grounded, even with some fantastical things that happened through out both films. It's almost as if the Nolans threw away alot of their own internal logic and believability in this film.

You can tell watching this film given how bloated it is with ideas that in some cases aren't fully realized. And the introduction of many characters for a third film ... Jonah and Chris were struggling MIGHTILY to come up with something that could be as entertaining as TDK.

BEGINS was good, TDK was instant cinematic greatness. Nolan loves to raise the bar. I think with all he did in TDK, he set the bar too high for himself, without the proper tools to re reach that height with Ledger never being able to reprise his iconic role as the Joker.

Last edited by theLegend; 08-21-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #370
joker1524
Side-Kick

Quote:

Crane is a transition character. He's out for money, and he slowly descends into madness, but Joker is the first full on freak. Crime in Gotham's natural counter point to the impact of the Batman.

Sure there are other crazies, former paitents of Arkham that he employs no less. But with Heath Ledger's tragic passing, there was really no where else to go with the character.

I think they made Two Face way more believable and compelling in TDK. Turning him into "I'm going to rob the 2nd bank of Gotham on Febuary 2nd" type dude is extremely corny, and lame.

The mob was already crippled by the Batman, Gordon and Dent then the Joker dealt them the killing blow. So what other purpose would Dent serve in the story as Two Face? "Two Face" wasn't a freak, he was a psychological weapon used by the Joker.

To me the real problem is was TDK Rises even needed to be made? Besides WB obviously pressuring the Nolans given how great and how much money TDK made.

Anyone with half of brain knew there was no way it could EVER meet, let alone exceed the expectations set forth by its ground breaking predecessor.

And without Joker, you're losing a vital element that made it such a blockbuster. Two icons battling it out. Don't get me wrong, Nolan's Bane is awesome ... but he isn't iconic or popular enough a character.

Riddler? Story wise and thematic wise he's Joker lite. With less crazy, and way less compelling or dangerous.

Sometimes I still hold onto the opinion I had after TDK and before RISES, Nolan should've just left at his two films.

TDK is truly a "drop the mic" caliber film on Batman. As good as RISES was, and it is very good in spots. It still doesn't even sniff TDK in terms of importance, impact, and entertainment value.

If he left on that film, it would be the equivelent of MJ leaving ontop after that game winner in 1998 walking off with his 6th ring. Or if Muhammed Ali, Joe Montana, Brett Farve and several other iconic athletes never held on too long and lost the overall impact of what they had at their peak.

3rd movie curse.
No Heath Ledger Joker.

No matter how good, it was bound to be disappointing. IMO it shouldn't have even been made. Not to mention at times on this film, I felt Nolan was merely going through the motions.

Catwoman
The Bat

All "jump the shark" type moments in a franchise that up until that point was very grounded, even with some fantastical things that happened through out both films. It's almost as if the Nolans threw away alot of their own internal logic and believability in this film.

You can tell watching this film given how bloated it is with ideas that in some cases aren't fully realized. And the introduction of many characters for a third film ... Jonah and Chris were struggling MIGHTILY to come up with something that could be as entertaining as TDK.

BEGINS was good, TDK was instant cinematic greatness. Nolan loves to raise the bar. I think with all he did in TDK, he set the bar too high for himself, without the proper tools to re reach that height with Ledger never being able to reprise his iconic role as the Joker.
I agree with some things u said but I think TDKR could been if if the movie wasn't so with " full circle"....just like the jokers story was done in Tdk...I had no interest in revisiting the league of shadows again...I just didn't see the need to do so...Bane was but the losLos should have never have been tiretied in with his ...the 8 year exile plot went as well

joker1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #371
theLegend
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker1524 View Post
II had no interest in revisiting the league of shadows again...
I like the coming full circle for Bruce Wayne arc. All three movies are about him wanting to elevate the iconography and symbol of Batman to mean something within Gotham, and inspire good. It's great that they brought that full circle, and he succeeds.

I didn't want to particularly see the L.O.S. again, or necessarily have them connected to Bane. But it is a logical reason to bring them back. Why would the L.O.S. just quit when Ra's was taken out? Why would they not seek retribution for Batman stopping them at the end of Batman Begins.

A international terrorist organization that was destroying corrupt cities the world over decades before Liam Neeson's "Ras Al Ghul" ever took over the mantle as leader just says eff it and stop doing business?

It was the only way they could take this film. They needed a massive destroy the city type villain and vibe. With no Joker, the only other major city threat IS the LOS / Bane.

I did like how the series has 3 major villains who seek to destory or turn Gotham into a crazy play land.

And then there also personal battles littered through out. Don't get me wrong RISES is a good movie. It's by far the best 3rd movie I've seen in a superhero / action trilogy. I just felt it never could've reached the bar set by the previous film, so ... what was the point in making it?

It's also kind of funny. The plot that people say B89 lacks, is about a neurotic, down right crazy obsessed man who begins to go sane because he finds a love interest.

While TDK Rises is much more in depth, the story is pretty much the same. A crazy, suicidal, mentally depressed man finds peace in his life and begins to go sane when he passes his baton and finds a woman he can invest himself in ...

Last edited by theLegend; 08-21-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #372
joker1524
Side-Kick

Quote:
I like the coming full circle for Bruce Wayne arc. All three movies are about him wanting to elevate the iconography and symbol of Batman to mean something within Gotham, and inspire good. It's great that they brought that full circle, and he succeeds.

I didn't want to particularly see the L.O.S. again, or necessarily have them connected to Bane. But it is a logical reason to bring them back. Why would the L.O.S. just quit when Ra's was taken out? Why would they not seek retribution for Batman stopping them at the end of Batman Begins.

A international terrorist organization that was destroying corrupt cities the world over decades before Liam Neeson's "Ras Al Ghul" ever took over the mantle as leader just says eff it and stop doing business?

It was the only way they could take this film. They needed a massive destroy the city type villain and vibe. With no Joker, the only other major city threat IS the LOS / Bane.

I did like how the series has 3 major villains who seek to destory or turn Gotham into a crazy play land.

And then there also personal battles littered through out. Don't get me wrong RISES is a good movie. It's by far the best 3rd movie I've seen in a superhero / action trilogy. I just felt it never could've reached the bar set by the previous film, so ... what was the point in making it?

It's also kind of funny. The plot that people say B89 lacks, is about a neurotic, down right crazy obsessed man who begins to go sane because he finds a love interest.

While TDK Rises is much more in depth, the story is pretty much the same. A crazy, suicidal, mentally depressed man finds peace in his life and being to go sane when he passes his baton and finds a woman he can invest himself in ...
I just was never too high on them being back...despite all the reasoning for them to be back...they were such an after thought for me that I would have called people crazy if they told me they would be revisited again in Nolans last bat flick....still a great film but I wish he would have explored more deeper into Batmans rogues gallery

joker1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #373
RIPCOVictims
Side-Kick

Quote:

3rd movie curse.
No Heath Ledger Joker.

Catwoman
The Bat

Great post. When I heard after Ledger's death that Nolan had in fact intended for him to return in the third movie, I remember being torn on whether or not they should even attempt to make a third one. On the one hand, I absolutely loved what Nolan had done with the first two movies and of course didn't want that universe to end. On the other hand, there was a big part of me that didn't want them to even embark on a third movie if they couldn't tell the story they had originally wanted to tell. I knew that the movie-goer in me would have been disappointed, but at the same time I had a lot of the same concerns you did about the constraints surrounding a third movie. And while TDKR is not all bad, I do feel that those constraints did ultimately hurt the movie.

Last edited by RIPCOVictims; 08-21-2012 at 01:42 AM.
RIPCOVictims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #374
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
That's a pretty easy one. The point was to bring the story to its conclusion. If Nolan didn't make it, someone else would have. They wouldn't have rebooted, as Bale and Oldman were contracted for 3 movies. We could've very well seen someone else's Batman 3 set in the Nolan-verse.

But the most obvious answer to your question is that Nolan himself thought he had a story worth telling that was different enough from what had come before to justify being made. And we all know Nolan is a slave to story. Just because the fanboy community is all over the place about TDKR doesn't mean Nolan himself isn't extremely proud of the film and trilogy as a whole.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #375
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Actually that's a damn good post.
Please tell me you're not serious.

Last edited by Alex Logan; 08-21-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote