The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

I just thought why doesn't every American with a social security number of voting age get a voter ID registration form in the mail?

Then everyone would have a fair chance to register for a card.

After that, "no card, no vote".

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights


MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,874
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

I see that no one else has commented, but I will give my opinion, I guess. I am all for requiring ID at voting sites. You have to have an ID of some kind to do almost everything else. People say it is a tax on voters, basically making them pay to vote, but if you aren't willing to buy a $10 photo ID card every 5-10 years, do you really care about voting all that much? The vast majority of voting-age Americans have drivers licenses anyway. Nothing keeps me from walking into a voting location and casting a vote for whoever I want, using anyone's name I want, as long as I know they live in that district.

__________________
This is my signature.
Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,088
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

I've been asked to show my Driver's License every time I've voted...and is A LOT of voting....not a big deal.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,010
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

I personally do not see the big deal about requiring an ID to vote. It seems like common sense, IMO. That said, the politicizing of it is disgusting. Those who oppose this do not care about disillusioning voters at all, they simply care that the voters without IDs probably would've voted for their side. Conversely, those for it only want to lock out those who would vote against them.

I say with this law, the state should be required to give every registered voter one free state ID card.

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

The fact is there is no voter fraud epidemic. Never was. This whole ID push is a sham.

You guys say it's no big deal because you have an official form of ID but there are millions of voters who don't, most of them black and Latino. Right wingers are incredibly aware of this which is why they are pushing for ID in major swing states.

Everyone knows this push for voter ID has nothing to do with making elections more fair. It's about using every slimy and underhanded tactic to win an election even if it means forcing out millions of eligible voters. It's so G-damn obvious and if something like this was done to white men the entire country would be ready to revolt.

You say people need ID's for some imaginary voter fraud epidemic? FINE!

MAIL every adult with a social security number and no felonies A FREE VOTER ID CARD REGISTRATION RIGHT NOW!!!

But these Republicans won't push anything like this because they're shady scumbags.


Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 07-26-2012 at 09:30 PM.
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,010
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

There isn't an epidemic of bank robberies either. Should banks not have security guards? There is no epidemic of terror attacks in the U.S.. Should the intelligence agencies call it a day and close shop?

Just because it is not wide spread does not equate to nonexistent nor does it mean that there is no need for a law to prevent voter fraud. The fact is, the Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans that they demonize. They wouldn't care if it wasn't a large bloc of their voters harmed by this.

That said, I agree. Give them to everyone. Problem solved.

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There isn't an epidemic of bank robberies either. Should banks not have security guards? There is no epidemic of terror attacks in the U.S.. Should the intelligence agencies call it a day and close shop?

Just because it is not wide spread does not equate to nonexistent nor does it mean that there is no need for a law to prevent voter fraud. The fact is, the Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans that they demonize. They wouldn't care if it wasn't a large bloc of their voters harmed by this.

That said, I agree. Give them to everyone. Problem solved.
Well bank robberies could run rampant nationally of banks didn't have security measures. But even without security measures voter fraud has rarely made much impact.

and you must be sarcastic using the 10-year War on Terror as an example of absolute necessity. It's one of the most overblown paranoid police state policies since the Red Scare.

But yeah giving the ID's to everyone seems like a true way to ensure democratic values, too bad that's not the point of the Republican's voter ID push.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,874
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
The fact is there is no voter fraud epidemic. Never was. This whole ID push is a sham.

You guys say it's no big deal because you have an official form of ID but there are millions of voters who don't, most of them black and Latino. Right wingers are incredibly aware of this which is why they are pushing for ID in major swing states.

Everyone knows this push for voter ID has nothing to do with making elections more fair. It's about using every slimy and underhanded tactic to win an election even if it means forcing out millions of eligible voters. It's so G-damn obvious and if something like this was done to white men the entire country would be ready to revolt.

You say people need ID's for some imaginary voter fraud epidemic? FINE!

MAIL every adult with a social security number and no felonies A FREE VOTER ID CARD REGISTRATION RIGHT NOW!!!

But these Republicans won't push anything like this because they're shady scumbags.
Wow. I love how you held that in for a week, just waiting for someone to give you an excuse to rant about the evil, racist Republicans.

That being said, sure, I agree with the voter ID card being an option. Whenever you register, they can mail you a card with a number on it or something, like a social security card.

Now that I am through that, though... why do these people not spend the $10 or whatever it cost to get a photo ID? You can say they can't afford it, but have they spent $10 on anything else that is not an absolute necessity in the last four years? Yes, I know there are elections far more often than every four years, just using the presidential election as an example because turn-out is so much better for those. What is more important? Voting or seeing The Dark Knight Rises opening weekend? Voting or buying Jordans instead of New Balances? It's the same argument as to why a lot of people don't buy health insurance. I was guilty of that for five years. I would rather buy comics, movies, and beer than health insurance. I only fairly recently wised up.

__________________
This is my signature.
Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Yeah these Republicans really care about democracy, they're not doing something slimy and underhanded by creating obstacles to minorities to unfairly win an election. lolz.

Some people vote on whim. They might decide voting is important a couple days before election days when the candidates get 24 hour coverage.

There's no reason the government shouldn't make as easy as possible for everyone eligible to vote. That means FREE voter ID registration mailed to everyone eligible.

If the government can pay over a TRILLION dollars installing democracy in the Middle East why can't they mail everyone free voter registration cards in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA??? What's wrong with that picture???

Voting should be free and easy. It should be encouraged. When you want to discourage something you add a surcharge or expense.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,874
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

There is literally no one here arguing against the free voter ID cards. Why are you so angry? Perhaps one day that will be a reality. In the meantime, I would prefer having to show an ID of some kind to vote. There is nothing at this point keeping my best friend from coming to my voting location and voting straight Democrat under my name, and nothering keeping my brother from doing the same as straight Republican. I know neither of them would do that, but there is nothing in place that is stopping them.

__________________
This is my signature.
Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

ANNUAL cost of "creating democracy" in Iraq = 60+ billion

One time cost of a free voter ID for AMERICAN voters = under 2 billion

Charging Americans to vote and diverting democracy = PRICELESS

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,874
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

So you throw out catch phrases and commercial quotes for your argument. Awesome.

I still don't understand how this targets minorities, anyway. I've been to the DMV. They allow minorities in the building.

__________________
This is my signature.
Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
There is literally no one here arguing against the free voter ID cards. Why are you so angry? Perhaps one day that will be a reality. In the meantime, I would prefer having to show an ID of some kind to vote. There is nothing at this point keeping my best friend from coming to my voting location and voting straight Democrat under my name, and nothering keeping my brother from doing the same as straight Republican. I know neither of them would do that, but there is nothing in place that is stopping them.
We had four years to create free voter ID registration which is mailed to EVERY American voter.

But Republicans try to create financial and process obstacles in 2012. Why not work on these issues starting in 2008???

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,874
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

You're right. I give up. Republicans are evil and Mitt Romney sacrifices illegal immigrants to his dark lord Satan.

__________________
This is my signature.
Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
So you throw out catch phrases and commercial quotes for your argument. Awesome.
damn, I was really hoping you would approve of my methods.

I'm heartbroken.

Quote:
I still don't understand how this targets minorities, anyway. I've been to the DMV. They allow minorities in the building.
Because most people who lack ID happen to be minorities.

and most people avoid the DMV at all cost. It's considered hell on Earth. Want to discourage people from voting, charge them for it and make them go to DMV.

What's wrong with mailing all possible voters a free voter ID registration?

Didn't we spend at least a 1,000 times more of the required money and effort trying to install democracy in Iraq???

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
You're right. I give up. Republicans are evil and Mitt Romney sacrifices illegal immigrants to his dark lord Satan.
That's a bit extreme.

But clearly these Republicans don't really care about democracy (probably never did) and are willing to do anything to win even though doing so defiles everything the presidential election should stand for.

But we should just pretend this Voter ID push is about fairness even though it's obviously not. Right???

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
You're right. I give up. Republicans are evil and Mitt Romney sacrifices illegal immigrants to his dark lord Satan.
BTW post #14 was not a response to post 13#.

But go ahead and give up. You weren't doing anything noble to begin with.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,088
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Keep the discussion respectful....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,088
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
damn, I was really hoping you would approve of my methods.

I'm heartbroken.



Because most people who lack ID happen to be minorities.

and most people avoid the DMV at all cost. It's considered hell on Earth. Want to discourage people from voting, charge them for it and make them go to DMV.

What's wrong with mailing all possible voters a free voter ID registration?


Didn't we spend at least a 1,000 times more of the required money and effort trying to install democracy in Iraq???
I like this idea....except that....you still won't have people's FACE...on it. So lets say I just moved in to a house, and low and behold there is a voter ID card in the mailbox....I can by all practical purposes, vote 2x. Once using my voter registration and DL and this voter ID card that doesn't have a picture on it.

Most of the voter registration is done through the DMV is because your picture is taken, and at least once your thumbprint is taken....so we know that that person is YOU.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,874
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Keep the discussion respectful....
sorry, didn't mean to push it in that direction. I will be good.

__________________
This is my signature.
Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I like this idea....except that....you still won't have people's FACE...on it. So lets say I just moved in to a house, and low and behold there is a voter ID card in the mailbox....I can by all practical purposes, vote 2x. Once using my voter registration and DL and this voter ID card that doesn't have a picture on it.

Most of the voter registration is done through the DMV is because your picture is taken, and at least once your thumbprint is taken....so we know that that person is YOU.
What I meant is have a voter ID notification and later registration mailed to someone that lets them know they need this ID or a drivers ID to vote. They then have the choice to go to near by locations that are designated to taking voter ID photos and giving out cards. All this should be done on a national level during mid-terms not the middle of a presidential election year.

This way every voter is promptly notified and has their paper work ready for an ID card and can get it verified at a mall or outlet. Charging people to go to an overcrowded or secluded DMV, fill out various forms, and pay a fee might be asking a little too much to people who don't drive or tend to avoid bureaucracies.

but those people deserve a voice too.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,088
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
What I meant is have a voter ID notification and later registration mailed to someone that lets them know they need this ID or a drivers ID to vote. They then have the choice to go to near by locations that are designated to taking voter ID photos and giving out cards. All this should be done on a national level during mid-terms not the middle of a presidential election year.

This way every voter is promptly notified and has their paper work ready for an ID card and can get it verified at a mall or outlet. Charging people to go to an overcrowded or secluded DMV, fill out various forms, and pay a fee might be asking a little too much to people who don't drive or tend to avoid bureaucracies.

but those people deserve a voice too.
I think some states are going to something similar to this, and those like Texas have talked about this, and it being free....so that is a possibility. Some states, including Texas are also talking about setting up transportation during a week each year to get people to these places to get their pictures taken, and a proper ID given to them.

Car registrations can now be done at Kroger and other large super market chains....once these people have the ID they can go and renew it at these places as well....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #24
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,010
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

But....but...teh evil Republicanz!!!!

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,088
Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

I have to say the debate in the courtroom over this in Texas was pretty funny when it was brought up that many of the people on the "don't have ID in Texas" list...actually do, the guy that was being questioned who was not in favor of the voter ID law because so many were on this list....HE WAS ON THE LIST....lmao, along with Kay Baily Hutchinson....and a few other Texas politicians...that do in fact, have ID. lol That list is a joke.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.