The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #126
kvz5
HBIC

Default Re: Clearing up the ending of TDKR (MUST READ)

Too much thought is being given to that scene IMO. It's very clear cut for me.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #127
Nevincer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Too much thought is being given to that scene IMO. It's very clear cut for me.

Nevincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #128
robthorn24
Gotham Times Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyzo33 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Thanks Gyzo. Although Bruce and Selina still clearly have the pearls in their possession. It's still plausible that Alfred could have tracked the pearls, especially with the lawyer mentioning them. I don't think Nolan would have written that into the script with absolutely no purpose in doing so.

robthorn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #129
ABleedingCorpse
Superhero Iran? Hype That

The way I see it, Alfred may have took a leap of faith in tracking the pearls down. After he learned they were missing, perhaps he wanted to see where they were. When he did so, he saw their location was in the same country that Alfred visited so many times in the past during Bruce's 7 year journey. Selina didn't have the necklace on at the cafe, but doesn't mean that Alfred couldn't put two and two together. Alfred, in the end, had his faith rewarded..by seeing that Bruce was alive and well, not to mention happy and unalone. It's all Alfred wanted to see happen to Bruce and that's what he got. Everyone was rewarded for their faith in Batman (Gordon, Fox, Blake) except Alfred...until the very end..he was given the greatest reward of all.

I don't understand how people can think that the ending was a dream. The auto-pilot was fixed, the necklace was again missing (why would it be missing if Bruce was dead?) and someone had to arrange Bruce's Will to be the way it was at the end. The only logical answer to these questions was that Bruce was alive after the bomb went off and worked fast to get things inorder before he left Gotham.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #130
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Oh so Alfred just happens to imagine Bruce with a random maid who was at Wayne Manor once during a gathering?

Lol @ people who think Alfred was hallucinating. Guess Scarecrow flew to Italy and spiked his punch?

Just to clarify, I find that hallucination theory funny, I wasn't backing it up or anything. I only wanted to point out that Alfred did indeed meet Selina, as I was shocked to see how many people said with absolute certainty "Alfred never met Selina", when there's this scene:

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #131
Hulk1968
An agent of chaos...

Yes, the ending was very clear to me.

I still can't figure out why (most) people are so confused?

Batman "died" as a hero, saving Gotham City from a nuclear bomb. Bruce Wayne is happy w/ Selina Kyle in Italy. Alfred sees them there at the cafe', and waves. John Blake finds the Bat Cave.

End of story.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #132
zmystico
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk1968 View Post
Yes, the ending was very clear to me.

I still can't figure out why (most) people are so confused?

Batman "died" as a hero, saving Gotham City from a nuclear bomb. Bruce Wayne is happy w/ Selina Kyle in Italy. Alfred sees them there at the cafe', and waves. John Blake finds the Bat Cave.

End of story.
Exactly, there needs to be no sequel, Nolan wrapped it up nicely, and left just enough unanswered to generate conversation, but not to leave the viewer feeling like something was left out.

IF there is to be a sequel, I'd want it to me more of a drama about how Bruce copes with being a regular person, and the possibility of Alfred ever entering his life again...could be done in 10 or so years. However I am completely 100% satisfied with how the movie ended.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #133
philleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevincer View Post
What about the fact the locale was -exactly- the same place and shot as the flashback to Alfred in between Begins events except the different couple was replaced with Selina and Bruce? As much as I figure he's alive, I think it was trippy enough to mistake it as a hallucination in spite of facts with the way the shot was.
Alfred described the location well enough to Bruce early in the movie that he could find it. In Florence, near a particular river, overlooking such & such. Especially if you imagine that he may have been doing some recon leading up to it, looking for Alfred. He's batman, smuggles himself back into gotham during its occupation, but finding Alfred in Florence...THAT'S CRAZY ???

philleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #134
philleas

Alfred described the location well enough to Bruce early in the movie that he could find it. In Florence, near a particular river, overlooking such & such. Especially if you imagine that he may have been doing some recon leading up to it, looking for Alfred. He's batman, smuggles himself back into gotham during its occupation, but finding Alfred in Florence...THAT'S CRAZY ???

Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #135
Barefoot Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_Parker View Post
I would despise this if this is what happened.

No ****ing ambiguous ****. We have a definitive ending...

But people still seem to think this ending isn't as straightforward as it seems, so.... -_-
But it wouldn't have been ambiguous if it ended with Alfred smiling/nodding without us seeing Bruce. Earlier in the film he said it's what he'd do if he saw Bruce there, so it wasn't necessary to show Bruce at the other table. As soon as Alfred smiles, we know he's spotted Bruce.

The only way it would have been ambiguous is if it ended with Alfred raising his head and the film cutting to black before you see him smile or nod.

Personally I think it'd have been much more iconic to end it on Alfred smiling. Main reason they showed Bruce, I think, was to establish that he had found happiness with Selina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevincer View Post
What about the fact the locale was -exactly- the same place and shot as the flashback to Alfred in between Begins events except the different couple was replaced with Selina and Bruce? As much as I figure he's alive, I think it was trippy enough to mistake it as a hallucination in spite of facts with the way the shot was.
Of course it was the same. When we first see the cafe in Florence, it's during Alfred's flashback. We then see him going there for real. Why would the locale look any different?

Barefoot Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #136
philleas

1. It also seems to me that Bruce is starting his life over. Or doing what Alfred had wished he would do. Do what needed to be done as batman, and then move on. To have a fulfilling life. To be happy. And he has done that. If you go to youtube, and search for The Dark Knight Rises ending, then you'll find enough bootlegs to study those last 3 min. Little things are there. The look on Bruce's face is one of an understanding accomplishment. That he has earned a rest. Perhaps not happily, but he is going to accept and move on. It's what Alfred and his parents would have wanted. He gave all that he could, may not have literally died, but Bruce Wayne died. So he can live on now.

And when Blake enters the cave, the bats surround him. Some kind of symbolizm/ batptism type thing. He's being welcomed in as the new batman. To carry the mantle. The legacy goes on.

The flashes of the title card at end of these movies kinda go with that theme to. Batman Begins flashes up, at end of the 1st movie, cause you know that all has been set in motion, and things are well, yeah, beginning. End of TDK has Gordon talking about the protector Gotham needs, and then Boom, THE DARK KNIGHT comes up. and here, literally, you have Blake being risen on the base in the cave, as he is being welcomed in. and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES then flashes. I dunno, just these things that get me.

Just good all around.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #137
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

The ending of this movie was just enough to answer a few questions and raise a few at the same time. Filmmakers do not need to answer all questions. That is how life is, life goes on and not all your questions are answered... that is probably a more realistic ending than "here is everything in a nice pretty bow".

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
This is why endings like this frustrate me. It didn't feel concrete once the credits hit I was more or less like... That's it? That's how the legend ends?! And you're left brainstorming and guessing about too many things all at once. After
Blake rises from the platform
How could we ever know what happens afterwards? Everything is left for our own interpretation. It's aggravating to say the least.
It is all left to your interpretation... how is that a bad thing? The director wanted you to use your imagination as to what could come next. That is HORRIBLE! How dare he not present everything to the audiences in easily chewable bite sized servings for the babies watching the movie. As I've said earlier, that's how life is... and ever continuing thing... life changes and the characters in this movie will change and grow... that's the beauty of it. Use your imagination and take it for a good thing versus a neat and tidy finale. Everybody still has the potential to live happily ever after... or not. That's the type of finale that resonates... versus one that you forget about once you walk out of the movie theater.

knowsbleed is a vagatarian
knowsbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #138
ABleedingCorpse

Looking back at the ending, I would have personally loved to see that scene play out as others of said....with just focus on Alfred at the cafe...looking over...waving and then the smile...with no shot of Bruce and Selina. The simple image of Alfred smiling as he looked on would have been enough to send the message home. But of course, that would have lead this discussion into an insane "WHO WAS ALFRED SMILING AT" type of deal and I'm glad we avoided that. But to me, I would have been satisfied not to see Bruce and Selina, and simply be left with Alfred being seen smiling at the cafe.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #139
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Leading up to the movie there were basically three major predictions of what the ending would be. Batman would either die, retire, or continue on indefinitely. The great thing about the actual ending is that is combines all of those. To most of the public Bruce and Batman perishes, but Bruce was able to escape (literally and figuratively) to the happy life he always wanted and the mantle of Batman endures for his metaphorical son to step into.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #140
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABleedingCorpse View Post
Looking back at the ending, I would have personally loved to see that scene play out as others of said....with just focus on Alfred at the cafe...looking over...waving and then the smile...with no shot of Bruce and Selina. The simple image of Alfred smiling as he looked on would have been enough to send the message home. But of course, that would have lead this discussion into an insane "WHO WAS ALFRED SMILING AT" type of deal and I'm glad we avoided that. But to me, I would have been satisfied not to see Bruce and Selina, and simply be left with Alfred being seen smiling at the cafe.
It was really satisfying to see Bruce happy though. It made me smile.

knowsbleed is a vagatarian
knowsbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #141
zmystico
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Leading up to the movie there were basically three major predictions of what the ending would be. Batman would either die, retire, or continue on indefinitely. The great thing about the actual ending is that is combines all of those. To most of the public Bruce and Batman perishes, but Bruce was able to escape (literally and figuratively) to the happy life he always wanted and the mantle of Batman endures for his metaphorical son to step into.
Actually with Batman being considered dead, the mantle is gone, all is left is the tools for the next protector of Gotham. Batman is done.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #142
Nigma
Newbie First Class

The will being everything is a nice phrase.

It's still not going to protect him from the first bullet fired his way.

Nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #143
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmystico View Post
Actually with Batman being considered dead, the mantle is gone, all is left is the tools for the next protector of Gotham. Batman is done.
The bat-signal is back. Batman is considered dead but since he is a symbol and "more than just a man" another could take his place. Or at least become something similar to him.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #144
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsbleed View Post
Exactly. And if Nolan hadn't shown Bruce, the reaction would have been awful. There was no need for ambiguity. Showing Bruce was the right thing to do.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #145
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsbleed View Post
I'm not saying seeing Bruce happy wasn't satifying. It was a great way to let us know that Bruce was finally free of his demons and pain. I just simply think, that if it were to go the way I described, that too would have been satifying for me.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #146
rickfox
Devil

Quote:
Selena is NOT wearing the pearl necklace at the cafe. So enough of the "Alfred tracked them down" nonsense.
watch it 4 times-----Selena is wearing the pearl necklace

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #147
rickfox
Devil

Quote:
using this TS version poor quality picture to prove that she is not wearing pearl necklace??

how about make a bet

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #148
Ironhorse75
Textbook Narcissist

I wasn't aware the ending was confusing anyone.

I like to think the movie's title has more to do with Batman finding himself again in the prison and rising up both literally and figuratively.

Ironhorse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #149
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfox View Post
watch it 4 times-----Selena is wearing the pearl necklace
I watched the bootleg version over and over..and at first for many times..I'd say she wasn't wearing them....BUT...she is indeed wearing them as I can tell now. It's very hard to tell, but the necklace is on her neck. The reason it's hard to see them is the lighting, her skin tone, and the white all blend together, but watching very very closely...there is an outline on her neck of the Pearls.

So yes, you are correct..she is wearing the necklace.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #150
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfox View Post
using this TS version poor quality picture to prove that she is not wearing pearl necklace??

how about make a bet
Watch it in motion, and look to the left of her neck..you'll notice the necklace. As I said, it's very hard to see the outline/texture of it due to the lighting, her skin tone and the white pearl, but she is indeed wearing the necklace.