The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #26
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anyone else fear 'Man of Steel' is the final chance for success in the film indus

SUPERMAN III, SUPERMAN IV, SUPERGIRL and SUPERMAN RETURNS didn't exactly kill the character's chances to show up on film.

Superman will stop appearing on film when superheroes stop selling. If we don't see another Superman film after this one, we'll likely see a Batman and Superman fan, or Superman in a Justice League film.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #27
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: Anyone else fear 'Man of Steel' is the final chance for success in the film indus

No, I do not think this is the last chance. Of course I hope the movie will be successful, but even if it's not I'm sure Superman will be back...eventually. IMO, part of the reason for the 20 year wait between the SIV and SR is because of all the failed projects. I remember the rumored Batman/Superman movie was in development for years. It was listed on Yahoo's coming soon page for like 5 years before they finally removed it. Another thing is although movies are a great medium for Supes, I would say his primary format has always been televison (radio before that).

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #28
sethypants
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
Superman fans have been through a lot. We've dealt with so many attempts to put the definitive Superman on film. We survived so many reboot/restarts, scripts, ideas that were put on the shelf. It took 19 years for a Superman movie to finally be released and for most (myself included), it wasn't exactly the ideal story we had envisioned. I truly feel like this is the final chance to put a successful Superman on the silver screen. If this colossal film fails, WB will scramble to reboot the next Batman in 3-4 years and we might not see a Superman movie for another 20 years or more. The pressure on the studio, Snyder and Co. has got to be insane. I like the approach so far and can only hope this version is the one we'll remember for a long time. It'll be exciting to follow for the next 11 months!
not really. But should this movie fail, it will halt every single DC movie's production and we will have to wait another 10 years for the next movie from DC

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypants View Post
not really. But should this movie fail, it will halt every single DC movie's production and we will have to wait another 10 years for the next movie from DC
Nah they'll have another Batman out in 5 years anyway, he's their flagship and pulling strong.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

If this movie fails Superman will be relegated to tv, cartoons, and straight to DVD movies for the next 10-20 years.

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #31
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
If this movie fails Superman will be relegated to tv, cartoons, and straight to DVD movies for the next 10-20 years.
Nothing wrong with that if they're good.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #32
combocaz
Side-Kick

WB needs to jump on Aquaman at some stage before Marvel brings out Namor.

combocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #33
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Here's how I see it if Man of Steel bombs we'll see him on film again in Justice League in a few years anyway and maybe a TV series at somepoint but probably not a solo film for a long time but at least we'd get him in a JL movie series. As for if Man of Steel is a huge hit then we'll probably see some more animated stuff, sequels and a JL film at somepoint MOS been a success could actually delay a JL movie series so that Supermans trilogy can be told ala Batman so either way we'll be getting Superman on the big screen in some capacity whether its a team up or a solo.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
SUPERMAN III, SUPERMAN IV, SUPERGIRL and SUPERMAN RETURNS didn't exactly kill the character's chances to show up on film.
If your gonna mention Supergirl you might as well also throw in "STEEL"......easily the worst of the bunch lol

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #35
UaalaDan
Banned User

Let's all pray this movie is successful.

UaalaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #36
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by combocaz View Post
WB needs to jump on Aquaman at some stage before Marvel brings out Namor.

THANK YOU!!!!! I have been saying that. If only ARM were here....he'd extol the virtues of Aquaman to the lessers.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #37
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Even if this movie flops, I'm sure WB will reboot it in the next 20 years. Plus if there's going to be a Justice League movie, Superman would be in that movie.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #38
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Nothing wrong with that if they're good.
I think there's a lot wrong with that if other superhero's who exist because of Superman dominate films while the man himself is stuck on tv and DVDs because he can't get a successful film.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Last edited by Szetsilya; 07-25-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #39
UaalaDan
Banned User

Quote:
I think there's a lot wrong with that if other superhero's who exist because of Superman dominate films while the man himself is stuck on tv and DVDs because he can't get a successful film.
I agree with this sentiment. This needs to be good.

UaalaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #40
db85usa
HeHe!

I still don't think we've seen the definitive Superman on film. While S:TM was a classic during it's time, there's still an opportunity to go even further. I hope Snyder delivers and it is not a rehash of old material. I just watched 'Sucker Punch' for the first time today. Twice actually and while the story/characters weren't all that great, the cinematography, action/CGI was entertaining. I really like the way Snyder's films look and it will be interesting to see how he translates that to MoS.

I'm one of the few who has not watched a single episode of Smallville. The box office is the coup de grace of entertainment for me. Superman needs to be successful next year.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #41
db85usa
HeHe!

Quote:
I totally agree. Supes isn't the one to keep on the bench. Marvel has ushered in Iron Man, Captain America, Thor which honestly are characters that really are not as iconic as Superman. One has to wonder what the heck WB is thinking. Marvel ushers in B movies left and right while all we're left with to compete against that is Batman.

Time for Supes to take the lead. If he's successful, then things might start picking up for DC and we'll see something happen. Hopefully a setup for a JL movie!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #42
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
I totally agree. Supes isn't the one to keep on the bench. Marvel has ushered in Iron Man, Captain America, Thor which honestly are characters that really are not as iconic as Superman. One has to wonder what the heck WB is thinking. Marvel ushers in B movies left and right while all we're left with to compete against that is Batman.

Time for Supes to take the lead. If he's successful, then things might start picking up for DC and we'll see something happen. Hopefully a setup for a JL movie!
Agreed. I LOVED the Avengers and enjoy the MCU in general, and I love Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy like crazy, but...Superman is my guy. He is, to quote Snyder, "The KingDaddy of Superheroes," and it's time he became that again on the silver screen, imo.

He's way too epic to be relegated to TV shows and direct-to-video animated stuff. He's born to be a blockbuster icon.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #43
Ryudoz
Cleaning woman?!?!

I'm not overly concerned really, because if Batman can be reinvigorated after the shenanigans displayed in Batman and Robin then I'm sure anything is possible. In fact, I'd say that really Snyder and Nolan are under less stress to deliver that blockbuster explosion because Superman Returns did well enough that a sequel was possible.

I'd say this interpretation will be something akin to the Amazing Spider-Man. Different take, different look sort of thing.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I hope this movie is what Iron Man was to Marvel. Since Nolan's trilogy decided to not get involved with the Justice League, this is a chance to start fresh with it. Make MOS the jumpstart, come in with a Flash movie in a few years. Then give us a real Green Lanturn, then bring on Bats!
I hoped for that with Green Lantern. And I do feel that Gren Lantern was a good movie and should have done better. For whatever reason, it didn't do well.

I'm kind of hoping we will just get a good Superman trilogy, as we had a good Batman one.

Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #45
kylevorbach

I feel like this comic book crazy is going to come to a halt just like they stopped making tons of western movies back in the day. Audiences will get sick of superheroes, and opt for movies about cops/soldiers/anthropomorphic school supplies.

kylevorbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #46
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I believe Pixar is already working on that last one.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #47
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCAW View Post
unlikely, Superman 3 was one of the worst of the bunch, yet not long after we got Superman 4 which was better but not by a hell of alot (we atleast got a few fights in that one lol).
Superman 3 was better than Superman 2 and better than Superman 4.

Superman 2 was awful. I don't know how anyone really liked it. It had an opening scene that was so corny I couldn't believe it, Superman loses his powers for just about the entire movie, and from there was just constant campy fighting (Zod blowing his breath for about 15 minutes so we can see civilians fall over, one remaining on the telephone whilst laughing). Then the movie just ends with him carrying the American flag.

At least Superman 3 had an interesting angle with going back to Smallville, didn't have Lex Luthor bumbling about, had some interesting enemies and a brilliant junkyard fight.

Superman 4 was terrible. I won't even discuss it.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #48
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelPopcorn View Post
Superman 3 was better than Superman 2 ...

No.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #49
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post

No.
Yes. I don't want to watch Superman Without Powers: The Movie.

Hey let's dedicate 15 minutes to offer a critique on a juicer, and then spend a while in Texas where kids for some reason have British accents!

3/10.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #50
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelPopcorn View Post
Yes. I don't want to watch Superman Without Powers: The Movie.
Ah, so you prefer Superman Without Good Story: The So-Called Movie. Nice.

Gus Gorman loves you.