The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #76
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Anyone else fear 'Man of Steel' is the final chance for success in the film indus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
The 'Donner Cut' of Supes II that we saw actually made me glad that he didn't get to finish it, and I think put Lester in a much better light than he was held in before, considering the mess he had to come in and at least clean up.
Lol, care to elaborate?

I mean, granted, I donít think the entire Donner cut of the film would have been perfect since I saw issues as well, but I thought that Donnerís version was the lesser of two evils in the long run. Course I also do agree that there were some elements in Lesterís version that I did enjoy more, like supermanís now famous line of ďGeneral, care to step outsideĒ to even on how Lara came off as more understanding parent when Clark was trying to discuss giving up his powers to be with Lois.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #77
MOS2013
Banned User

Default Re: Anyone else fear 'Man of Steel' is the final chance for success in the film indus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaalaDan View Post
Oh yeah, the Superman scenes are amazing but the minute Luthor and his goons are on screen, it turns into a campfest. How about that stupid programming of the missiles scene??
those are scenes which have definitely shown their age.

But I love the film, I know you're not a fan of Hackman's Luthor too but I loved it. Otis I liked, but I could understand people not being keen on the character now because his is a character which doesn't stand up well today.

But I love the film and when I watch it I remember that it was shot in 1977/1978 and was ground breaking at the time.

MOS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #78
MOS2013
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Lol, care to elaborate?

I mean, granted, I donít think the entire Donner cut of the film would have been perfect since I saw issues as well, but I thought that Donnerís version was the lesser of two evils in the long run. Course I also do agree that there were some elements in Lesterís version that I did enjoy more, like supermanís now famous line of ďGeneral, care to step outsideĒ to even on how Lara came off as more understanding parent when Clark was trying to discuss giving up his powers to be with Lois.
I prefer the Lester version because its a proper finished film. But I'm quite certain if Donner had finished SII it would have been a better film. Thats my opinion anyway, I definitely won't knock Donner based on the sloppily edited 'Donner cut' that was released.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #79
UaalaDan
Banned User

Hey STM is one of my favorite movies of all time, Luthor and all. It has magic. I hope MOS achieves that. I see magic in the teaser and cc trailer already so that's a good sign.

UaalaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #80
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Lol, care to elaborate?

I mean, granted, I don’t think the entire Donner cut of the film would have been perfect since I saw issues as well, but I thought that Donner’s version was the lesser of two evils in the long run. Course I also do agree that there were some elements in Lester’s version that I did enjoy more, like superman’s now famous line of “General, care to step outside” to even on how Lara came off as more understanding parent when Clark was trying to discuss giving up his powers to be with Lois.
I know the editor was working with whatever 'footage' they could scrounge up...but if this was still signed-off on as 'close' to what Donner had in mind...I found it to be even sillier more nonsensical than what some have expressed in terms of misgivings blamed on Lester. A filmmaker as accomplished as he should have known how this would play, and it seems he was motivated more by old wounds and spite towards the Salkinds for firing him than actually thinking he could present even the possibility of a better film. We didn't need more Brando, or a toilet-flush in the FOS, and Lois' 'trick gun' was no less goofier a revelation than what we got. the whole thing was much more cringe-worthy than the theatrical version we got.

Again, in a lot of ways understandable as a vendetta, but ultimately it didn't speak better for his work on it, or what 'might have been'.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #81
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I know the editor was working with whatever 'footage' they could scrounge up...but if this was still signed-off on as 'close' to what Donner had in mind...I found it to be even sillier more nonsensical than what some have expressed in terms of misgivings blamed on Lester. A filmmaker as accomplished as he should have known how this would play, and it seems he was motivated more by old wounds and spite towards the Salkinds for firing him than actually thinking he could present even the possibility of a better film. We didn't need more Brando, or a toilet-flush in the FOS, and Lois' 'trick gun' was no less goofier a revelation than what we got. the whole thing was much more cringe-worthy than the theatrical version we got.

Again, in a lot of ways understandable as a vendetta, but ultimately it didn't speak better for his work on it, or what 'might have been'.

Well in regards to the ďDonner CutĒ that we had ended up getting, I agree that Donnerís resentment of the Lester cut had a factor in hurting on whatever edit they could have ended up forming with the footage they had in stored. Plus, it didnít help that they had a very limited budget to work off of as well. Either way, they were stuck in a no win situation, especially with the ending since the memory kiss or going back to the original scripted version of the ending (which is stupid imho as well) wouldnít have made the ending better, and cutting the scene with Superman flying with the flag and having it end at the diner bar, where in this new continuity, the guy hadnít technically encountered Superman yet, didnít make it easier either.lol

Iím still curious as to what that youtube user ďSelutronĒ would have come up and what he had in mind with his proposed ending which he said was different from either cuts and how for those that had seen it, said it actually worked. Heck, Selutron even managed to find a clever way to use the time traveling sequence from the first film to serve the narrative in the second one, where Supermanís time traveling stint was presented on having consequences like jor-el had warned.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #82
UaalaDan
Banned User

I think its better to leave these movies in the past where they belong instead of imagining "What If" scenarios. Both versions of SII sucked, imo, and were really campy. I mean, some scenes are amazing like the battle in Metropolis, the heist in Paris, and all but as a whole the movie to me doesn't hold up as well as STM.

Superman fans are way too nostalgic when regarding these movies.

Hopefully MOS is going to be the beginning of a better Superman franchise on the big screen.

Donner's had it's time. Time to move on now.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #83
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Well in regards to the “Donner Cut” that we had ended up getting, I agree that Donner’s resentment of the Lester cut had a factor in hurting on whatever edit they could have ended up forming with the footage they had in stored. Plus, it didn’t help that they had a very limited budget to work off of as well. Either way, they were stuck in a no win situation, especially with the ending since the memory kiss or going back to the original scripted version of the ending (which is stupid imho as well) wouldn’t have made the ending better, and cutting the scene with Superman flying with the flag and having it end at the diner bar, where in this new continuity, the guy hadn’t technically encountered Superman yet, didn’t make it easier either.lol

I’m still curious as to what that youtube user “Selutron” would have come up and what he had in mind with his proposed ending which he said was different from either cuts and how for those that had seen it, said it actually worked. Heck, Selutron even managed to find a clever way to use the time traveling sequence from the first film to serve the narrative in the second one, where Superman’s time traveling stint was presented on having consequences like jor-el had warned.
I really think he would have been better off just letting it be. The legend of what 'could have been', with nothing to see, was considerably greater than what was even hinted at with this so-called release. It was an interesting editing exercise, but still left too much out to be a representation of a quality finished product and was ultimately more bout his ego than presenting a better piece of cinema.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #84
MOS2013
Banned User

I just think talking about the original films being dated or camp or whatever devalues them somewhat.

The first was a stunning picture.

Might be hard to believe but some day Nolan's batman films (which everyone is drooling over these days) will become dated and people will look on them and say 'yeah that isn't all that great is it?'

Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #85
db85usa
HeHe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS2013 View Post
I just think talking about the original films being dated or camp or whatever devalues them somewhat.

The first was a stunning picture.

Might be hard to believe but some day Nolan's batman films (which everyone is drooling over these days) will become dated and people will look on them and say 'yeah that isn't all that great is it?'
I disagree. Some movies are simply timeless. Batman 89 is still a great Batman film IMO. Se7en for example, is a 17 year old movie but on my 70 inch LCD its still incredible and looks amazingly fresh cinematography wise, and even looks like something that could've been made yesterday. Nolan's trilogy will live forever. I only hope the next director can do better!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #86
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

I don't believe this is the last chance for Sups. I mean take a look at The Hulk. I mean Hulk basically failed twice and only got it's second wind in the Avengers. If MOS fails (which i don't believe it will) they still have the Justice League movie to save him with.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #87
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Superman is a persistent. No other character could have survived a similar smear campaign that was and is going on for 25 years.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #88
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I don't believe this is the last chance for Sups. I mean take a look at The Hulk. I mean Hulk basically failed twice and only got it's second wind in the Avengers. If MOS fails (which i don't believe it will) they still have the Justice League movie to save him with.
If fails here then perhaps a JL may give him his second wind.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #89
MOS2013
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
I disagree. Some movies are simply timeless. Batman 89 is still a great Batman film IMO. Se7en for example, is a 17 year old movie but on my 70 inch LCD its still incredible and looks amazingly fresh cinematography wise, and even looks like something that could've been made yesterday. Nolan's trilogy will live forever. I only hope the next director can do better!
Disagree

Batman 89 is my fav Bat flick but it IS dated.

They all become dated and Nolan's films will eventually be seen as dated.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #90
UaalaDan
Banned User

It won't fail. This isn't Bryan Singer and a love letter to Donner again. This movie is going to give us what we've been expecting for years.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #91
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Problem is it could be amazing yet not rock the box office depends on circumstances, what else is out there could be some surprise smash hit that batters all in its path we just don't know.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #92
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaalaDan View Post
It won't fail. This isn't Bryan Singer and a love letter to Donner again.
Right...this is the director who brought you Sucker Punch.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #93
dabilee01
Side-Kick

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pYpl...layer_embedded

a good sign? maybe.

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #94
db85usa
HeHe!

Quote:
Sucker Punch wasn't that bad, lol. Good visuals... that's about it but still.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #95
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
Sucker Punch wasn't that bad, lol. Good visuals... that's about it but still.
It wasn't that bad, but all it has is good visuals.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #96
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabilee01 View Post
What would you expect him to say, regardless of the circumstances?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #97
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nolan did put down Superman Returns quite a bit.

Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #98
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelPopcorn View Post
Nolan did put down Superman Returns quite a bit.
And what was his involvement in that flick? He also said he admired that it was connected to the Donner movies.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #99
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Quote:
He could have said a number of calculated and scripted hollywood answers. Like, "It's coming along nicely or I think it's too early to tell but Zack will do a good job or I haven't really seen much so I can't say...". Safe answers that don't put him under the bus. Besides, at this point as Superman fans, we're beggars. And beggars can't be choosers but in this case it has been looking very generous.

And... we got the director of 300.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Last edited by The Shield; 08-07-2012 at 09:51 AM.
The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #100
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
He could have said a number of calculated and scripted hollywood answers. Like, "It's coming along nicely or I think it's too early to tell but Zack will do a good job or I haven't really seen much so I can't say...". Safe answers that don't put him under the bus.
Whatever works for you. What did Snyder...the guy who actually did see much...say about Sucker Punch or Watchmen prior to it opening?

Quote:
Besides, at this point as Superman fans, we're beggars. And beggars can't be choosers but in this case it has been looking very generous.
Keep begging, then.

Quote:
And... we got the director of 300.
Thank god he didn't do films like Usual Suspects and the first two Xmen, though. All that super slo-mo et al.

In all seriousness though, Snyder is probably more of a question-mark coming in than Singer in terms of recent track record. But if the story/script is strong and he sticks to it, his visual flair/impact would be just the right the icing on the cake. the way it looks is that many have more faith in the Nolan side of things than the Snyder one.

Last edited by KalMart; 08-07-2012 at 10:22 AM.