The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #101
VM1138
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anyone else fear 'Man of Steel' is the final chance for success in the film indus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Superman has been on the screen for 64 years now. Even if the upcoming movie is terrible and the worst thing ever made....there will be another Superman movie.
Hm...not so sure. Maybe someday, but if this one tanks, that's four busts in a row. All different from each other, a sign that in most forms Superman just can't work in today's world, at least on film. Smallville showed it could work as a TV show, but that might be what Superman is from now on.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #102
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Anyone else fear 'Man of Steel' is the final chance for success in the film indus

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 08-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #103
The Shield
It's really Happening!

LOL So it seems you've turned into the pessimist of the forum. Or someone who lowers their expectations really low so if it is bad you won't be disappointed or is because it's easier to always have a negative opinion. Or is it because you want to be the underdog and someone who likes to go against the grain so in the case that it is a disappointment you can say to the mass of optimist, "I told you so"? There are plenty of positives to be pulled from what we've have seen so far. But whatever. Either way, enjoy You won't take this for anything but a reason to be negative anyway, right.

I just want us to enjoy this. I was the pessimist for a long time. I see good from both Snyder and Nolan. It's a good team up. They can compliment each other.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #104
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
LOL So it seems you've turned into the pessimist of the forum. Or someone who lowers their expectations really low so if it is bad you won't be disappointed or is because it's easier to always have a negative opinion
No actually...I was one of the more supportive of the choice of Snyder in the very beginning, when many were more WTF until they pinned their hopes more on Nolan.

Quote:
Or......
You're overreacting...the Snyder comment was said in jest as a response to the Singer comment. Read back....then maybe try some aspirin for that hurt butt of yours, 'kay tiger?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #105
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
No actually...I was one of the more supportive of the choice of Snyder in the very beginning, when many were more WTF until they pinned their hopes more on Nolan.

You're overreacting...the Snyder comment was said in jest as a response to the Singer comment. Read back....then maybe try some aspirin for that hurt butt of yours, 'kay tiger?
LMAO!! First, I'm a pretty big dude but not your girl so no pet names ok there guy. Second, thanks for the laugh. Weird being on this side of a butthurt tag.

But seriously, what change your stance if at first you were supportive? From the trailer and the CC footage, it doesn't even look like any of his past stuff. Not much and only a few minutes, true, but just a few seconds of his previous films and there's no doubt it's him.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #106
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
LMAO!! First, I'm a pretty big dude but not your girl so no pet names ok there guy.
I'm quaking.
Quote:
I'm quaking.Second, thanks for the laugh. Weird being on this side of a butthurt tag.
But at least you like it. Beggar's can't be chosers.

Quote:
But seriously, what change your stance if at first you were supportive? From the trailer and the CC footage, it doesn't even look like any of his past stuff. Not much and only a few minutes, true, but just a few seconds of his previous films and there's no doubt it's him.
I'm still supportive...again, it was said in jest responding to the Singer comment. Thanks for the laugh, sugar.

Last edited by KalMart; 08-07-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #107
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Hm...not so sure. Maybe someday, but if this one tanks, that's four busts in a row. All different from each other, a sign that in most forms Superman just can't work in today's world, at least on film. Smallville showed it could work as a TV show, but that might be what Superman is from now on.
Well...in some ways you can look at it like: Does Flash Gordon work better in older times/sensibilities than he would today without major modifications? I still think Superman is or at least can be a contemporary and relevant character, but I do think it takes some updating of the world 'around him', if you will.

It seems like the film is taking some strides towards that in its approach to mistrust and fear of things that they'd associate with awe and exaltation, perhaps, in years past.m And things that some people find 'old-fashioned' or what have you can be framed as refreshingly simple and virtuous in a more morally ambiguous setting. I guess similar could be said for Flash Gordon...but you could end up with something like John Carter, too.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #108
UaalaDan
Banned User

You guys need to chill.

My comment about BS was that he clearly doesn't understand Superman and that he should've stayed with the franchise he actually knows something which are the X-men. I think Goyer, Nolan and Snyder know what they are doing...

UaalaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #109
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaalaDan View Post
You guys need to chill.
Already done...you need to catch up.

Quote:
My comment about BS was that he clearly doesn't understand Superman and that he should've stayed with the franchise he actually knows something which are the X-men. I think Goyer, Nolan and Snyder know what they are doing...
Yeah we got that. But it was Nolan that had to convince Snyder and portray a version that interested him. Snyder had earlier said that he just didn't feel Superman. And again, had Singer taken a more original approach to Superman like he had with Xmen, instead of intentionally making it a love-letter to the Donner movies, he was still coming in with a better 'track record' than Snyder..who comparatively brought up much more misgivings about 'style over substance' et al. Again, Nolan's name is certainly lubricating that pill for many Supes fans as it would for general moviegoers.

Last edited by KalMart; 08-07-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #110
8wid
Banned User

If this movie doesn't make it or break it, then we will be seeing an alternate version of Superman from what he looked like in the 1930s and 40s. Which could mean a whole new rogues gallery and it taking placing during World War II.

8wid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #111
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
If this movie doesn't make it or break it, then we will be seeing an alternate version of Superman from what he looked like in the 1930s and 40s. Which could mean a whole new rogues gallery and it taking placing during World War II.
In your opinion, you talk as if that's definitely what will happen and if your talking about the court case I don't think that's gonna happen what the heirs would get involving the character is barely enough to make a movie there'd end up been a deal made. Also I'm not sure how much the films success has to do with the court case I think they had to just have a movie in production for rights or something.

I personally feel if MOS bombs (which I certainly hope it does not) we will see Justice League sooner than we think where I think if MOS is a major success it might delay Justice League for a little while but I could be wrong one things for sure if Superman fails in a solo franchise he's gonna get a shot at the team up with JL.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 08-08-2012 at 05:42 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #112
DeadPresident29
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Problem is it could be amazing yet not rock the box office depends on circumstances, what else is out there could be some surprise smash hit that batters all in its path we just don't know.
I've got a feeling Nolan/Snyder will market it correctly, they'll have all the bases covered. Every female out there will pay money to see Cavill in his outfit, every diehard fan will take a chance on seeing their hero portrayed properly. And casual movie-goers will probably be interested as soon as they discover Nolan/Snyder's previous projects and their link to MoS. I'm completely psyched for it, Nolan managed to resurrect Batman after the Schumacher travesties, and his influence will probably help Superman achieve his first authentic and dark portrayal.

DeadPresident29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #113
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
I always loved the idea of a period-piece Superman like in the 30-40's, and the onset of the atomic age, etc. Maybe really stylized like Sky Captain...and amusingly, Snyder would actually be a pretty good choice for that. But I also think it's important that Superman has always been (or intended to be) a contemporary character, and that's the challenge now, to find a good fit for him and today's world and sensibilities that still stays true to the character's essence.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #114
UaalaDan
Banned User

I think any Superman movie that isn't a love letter to Donner has big chances of achieving that. MOS is going to be amazing and is going to make a lot of money. I sincerely can't see it failing. I think the most incredible thing will be that it is going to be BETTER than Donner's and Cavill is going to be better than Christopher Reeve. Mark my words. People are going to be flabbergast. It's going to be the return of the KING.

Last edited by UaalaDan; 08-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #115
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Whether this movie bombs or not (I'm inclined to think it will be pretty good) This won't be the last time we Supes on the big screen.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #116
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think it's the last chance to get the general audience to give a **** about Superman to be honest.

It's such a dated thing for the GA. This needs to be accurate but it needs to give us an extremely different take on the character for the majority to really care. And i think it will succeed.

Im not a big fan of Snyder. I've never had an emotional response to any of his movies. But this doesnt look like a Snyder film, it doesnt look like Nolan either but it's like a completely new & different director came in and was inspired by Nolan and Malick and decided to reboot Superman.

So it will indeed show people a different side to Superman, and it should be enough.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #117
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I think any Superman movie that isn't a love letter to Donner has big chances of achieving that. MOS is going to be amazing and is going to make a lot of money. I sincerely can't see it failing. I think the most incredible thing will be that it is going to be BETTER than Donner's and Cavill is going to be better than Christopher Reeve. Mark my words. People are going to be flabbergast. It's going to be the return of the KING.
That's very optimistic hope your right

I have to admit I'm very confident that Man of Steel will be a great film and I'm confident its going to be the Superman film I've been waiting for. However I am worried it won't make a massive amount of money but that's just fear from Superman Returns.

I wonder how much this film would need to make to be considered a success, is 600 mil enough? 800 mil? A billion?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #118
The Batman
The Dark Knight

People are way too caught up on this being some "Donner killer".

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #119
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
People are way too caught up on this being some "Donner killer".
Superman III already did that.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #120
UaalaDan
Banned User

Not Donner killer but another interpretation of Superman, you know? That's what I want to see, not a continuation of the Donner movies like SR kinda was. SR to me didn't know what it wanted to be and turned out to be the final nail in the coffin of that interpretation.

I love the Donner movies but hate SR with passion.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #121
nobycane
Newbie First Class

I have to honestly say that Superman has definitely had a really rough time at the box office since Salkind/Donner films (aka SM 1 & 2)... IMO, Superman returns was a good film/story, though a little on the sappy side of things and not up to a lot of peoples expectations - though I think it did it justice connecting to the original first 2 films.

I tip my hat off to Synder and Nolan for their upcoming effort to disconnect this film from the Chris Reeves films - which to almost of us is/was "Superman"... it is a hard disconnection due to the memories and emotional attachment with Reeves and his Superman.

I hope that many will indeed keep an open mind to this new reboot effort...and certainly hope it works and is successful. Though, if it doesn't...then as legend has it, the Superman franchise is truly cursed!

However, I can respect the fact that WB wanted to push this movie into production without losing the rights back to the Siegel/Shuster estates... though, it might have been interesting to have seen them reboot the Batman and other franchises (i.e. Green Lantern) and start up others (Wonder Woman) and push the Justice League with Superman / Clark Kent doing camoes within those films and have a one-off film bridging into JL.

nobycane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #122
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

This turning out to be a terrible movie seems unrealistic. From what's been revealed so far, we know they're putting effort and thought into this. Even if it's not a masterpiece, probably a safe bet to say it'll be 'good'.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #123
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
This turning out to be a terrible movie seems unrealistic. From what's been revealed so far, we know they're putting effort and thought into this. Even if it's not a masterpiece, probably a safe bet to say it'll be 'good'.
I don't think it's that unrealistic. Man of Steel could be to Superman Returns what Incredible Hulk was to HULK. Incredible Hulk was an underwhelming answer to HULK which was garbage. I'm really hoping for a homerun but I wouldn't put it past hollywood to screw up yet again. Only time will tell. They'll get it right at some point.

StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #124
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
I don't think it's that unrealistic. Man of Steel could be to Superman Returns what Incredible Hulk was to HULK. Incredible Hulk was an underwhelming answer to HULK which was garbage. I'm really hoping for a homerun but I wouldn't put it past hollywood to screw up yet again. Only time will tell. They'll get it right at some point.
It's still mainly the hands of the movie to earn success and popularity or not. Hollywood most likely won't kill a really good movie's chances...just like it won't turn a POS startup movie into a blockbuster. When it comes down to it, WB can only provide it what it needs and hope for the best. Sometimes it works, like with Batman, sometimes it doesn't, like with SR and GL.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #125
UaalaDan
Banned User

Let us hope it works this time. I'm really tired of seeing bad representations of Superman.