The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #76
tekken
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think WB is looking to take Batman in a lighter direction?

Even darker?? Come on man, we were lucky to have Nolan make an "adult" take on Batman. I think it's time to make a kid-friendly Batman movie - no need to dumb down the quality of the movie, but I could honestly use the change of pace. We can have Robin, a bunch of gadgets without explanation, an impractical, but cool looking Batmobile - I mean they can get away with so much more that way.

tekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #77
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I just want them to make the next Batman movie like a Batman animated series brought to life. That level of realism, that tone, its both comic booky and down to earth and dark and fun. I don't want a campy movie like the Schumacker movies were. And I don't want it dark like the Nolan films or darker.

To explain further. In the cartoon Batman fought both Mob bosses and criminals like Clay Face and Mr. Freeze and Man Bat. I think the next version of Bat films should allow him to do all the stuff he did in the Timm Batman series. He lived, in that cartoon, in a world where a man could fall into a vat of acid and become Joker, or a man could be mutated into a bat creature from a normal human. But at the same time he fought corruption and mob bosses and thugs who had no powers. This world also had the ability to have Batman team up with Superman, so that would help when the JLA movie is made.
I am not saying just remake the Timm universe, but they should look at how Timm's Batman world was created and try to go for that.
It wasn't campy. Bruce was constantly thinking and brooding and tormented over the loss of his parents. Dick Grayson lost his parents during the show too. Two-Face was shown to have had an tormented childhood that led to severe mental problems. Joker was a monstrous killer. But the show was watchable by kids and fun overall. The tone, and even how kids could watch it but so could adults, would be perfect for the new movies. Different from the Nolan films in that it wouldn't be as dark, but different from the previous Batman films in that it gets the story right and isn't campy.
To over explain more, imagine some of the more comic book plots and ideas from the comics but with great acting like the Nolan movies.
It would be like Marvel's the Avengers movie. They had Banner turn into the Hulk because of a genetic experiment, they had Thor who is a "god" from another planet, and still it was good and fun but dark and serious at times and had great acting.
Of coarse I don't mean Batman should just become a big blockbuster like the Avengers, which I don't mean thats all Avengers was. But Batman should and would be more grounded and down to Earth with his stories but it could still be comic bookish like the comics and still as good as Nolan's. Ras al Ghul could still be a realistic character who is dark and gripping and be a guy who has lived for centuries thanks to the Lazarus Pits. Poison Ivy could be a realistic seeming eco terrorist who was also experimented on by her boss.
OK, I think I'm done because I feel like I just keep going over the same point.

Last edited by Artistsean; 08-03-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #78
Nathan

And make Batarangs one of his main weapons damn it!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #79
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I agree with all this. In order to correctly make a Batman movie it has to be stylized.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #80
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Whenever anybody says the word 'stylized', I worry. I think 300 and Sin City...I hope things don't turn out like that.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #81
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Whenever anybody says the word 'stylized', I worry. I think 300 and Sin City...I hope things don't turn out like that.
300, Sin City, Spirit, Sky Captain, Sucker Punch are stylized movies. I don't think that is a good approach for Batman.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #82
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
300, Sin City, Spirit, Sky Captain, Sucker Punch are stylized movies. I don't think that is a good approach for Batman.
Definitely not! Fine for those films, but not for Batman.

Even Synder was smart enough not to stylize MOS, which I thought he would have done.

I believe in Batfleck

Last edited by Rodrigo90; 08-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #83
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would LOVE a Sin City stylized version of Batman

Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #84
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I would LOVE a Sin City stylized version of Batman
It would be too 'artsy' for my liking.
Though I appreciate how it keeps things looking faithful to the comics, Sin City and Watchmen. But it only gets done for direct adaptations.

A director like Del Toro could do something to that effect, without making it too stylized.

But I would prefer someone like Aronofsky, who could certainly pull off the dark fantasy stuff. I can't explain it, but the way he did Black Swan, a near perfect blend of realism and fantasy, that would suit Batman really well imo.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #85
TheWatcher
Dapper

It should look and feel like BTAS

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #86
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?

Quote:
Definitely not! Fine for those films, but not for Batman.

Even Synder was smart enough not to stylize MOS, which I thought he would have done.
That was probably nolan pulling in the reigns. Probably the only stylized work of snyder's i enjoyed was watchmen's opening montage which i though was better than the rest of the movie.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #87
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I'd like to see a bit of horror fantasy with Man-Bat and what with the advances in CGI nowadays I wouldn't mind one with Clayface.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #88
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

More supernatural/scifi elements, maybe, but not lighter. We've been down that road before and bad things happen down there.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #89
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Pretty much everyone has been saying. More fantasy, but still retaining a serious tone that makes it believable. Not like the Schumacher tragedy.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #90
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

more sci-fi/fantasy along the lines that we can have freak of nature villains like Man-Bat, Croc, etc.

but not lighter in the sense that it will be a Schumacher 2.0 version

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #91
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I don't know the answer to this. My only answer is I'd rather see a unique take on Batman than someone aping Nolan's trilogy.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #92
shauner111
Side-Kick

A little lighter, in that it has more breathing room for fantasy. Arkham City all the way! Absolutely.

Batman with the grey and black suit, just a batmobile and his cave. Riddler, Penguin, Hugo Strange, Killer Croc, Black Mask, Mr Freeze, Joker and Harley Quinn. Wouldnt touch the Al Ghuls/Bane or Scarecrow. Wouldnt touch Two-Face and Catwoman but if they're going that route eventually, they need to be like Arkham City where the focus is not so much on Harvey Dent pre-accident or Selina Kyle. Just as villains. A 40 something year old Dent who is transformed and with dark hair. A short haired Catwoman who is more the villain, with her goggles, whip, cowl.

Different from Burtons, Shumachers AND Nolans.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #93
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post
Since The Avengers was such a major success at the box office, even more so than TDKR, does anyone else think that WB might want to make Batman less dark in the next series? Personally, I want them to keep it dark, but I can definitely see them bringing Batman Forever's style back as a possibility.

I don't think that the style was a factor in the Avengers' success. It was more based on the successes that Marvel has had with their comic-book movies over the last 10 years. They have built a name and a brand that people associate with entertaining and popular blockbuster films. The fact that they combined characters from 3 successful franchises in a film that was headed up with Academy Award and Golden Globe considered actors didn't hurt either (neither is the fact that they pooled from fans from four different magazine titles). Batman has been successful because most of its films had a dark tone and visionary directors (not to mention great actors cast as villains). That is a winning formula that I don't think they want to change for future films.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #94
66 Face
Side-Kick

Quote:
When I think "stylized" I think more of what Burton did. Throwing black on everything and having the Catwoman do flips down the street is something I do not want to see.

The right director has to come along and use Nolans real world and mix it with characters like Mr Freeze and Ivy. Like the poster up there said The Animated Series does that perfectly and thats still the best Batman. Even better than the comics. I've always felt that there isn't anything done in TAS that couldn't be shot in real life. I would actually love to see a Timm and Dini story given to Goyer for script writing.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #95
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Face View Post
When I think "stylized" I think more of what Burton did. Throwing black on everything and having the Catwoman do flips down the street is something I do not want to see.

The right director has to come along and use Nolans real world and mix it with characters like Mr Freeze and Ivy. Like the poster up there said The Animated Series does that perfectly and thats still the best Batman. Even better than the comics. I've always felt that there isn't anything done in TAS that couldn't be shot in real life. I would actually love to see a Timm and Dini story given to Goyer for script writing.
I still think Bruce Timm, not Geoff Johns, should be DC's Kevin Feige.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #96
Kyle Rayner
Side-Kick

The question is when is DC Comics entertainment be a separate from WB? WB controls everything that has to do with tv and films, while DC Comics deals with the comics...that's wheere the problem is at.

Batman should stay dark...period. This last film did not do justice to the character and fans at all. There were at least a dozen plot holes in the film alone that I don't know where even begin.

Batman should be left alone until the DCE studio takes a much straighfoward approach to being on their own. Batman is an eternal character, the film can be great or flop regardless of people are going to see it.

Kyle Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #97
Kyle Rayner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I still think Bruce Timm, not Geoff Johns, should be DC's Kevin Feige.

Hell yeah, Timm has completely turn DCU for the best in the last two decades. He knows how tv and film works, that man could make WB proud and DC Comics a major booster against Marvel/Disney.

Kyle Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #98
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

WB will never hire Timm to get involved. Gits.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #99
66 Face
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. He has some major league credits to his name. Plus I wouldn't discount his popularity with the fans.

Remember the names that came out for Batman when Batman Begins came out. Kutcher, M&M.... I really think the fans shut that garbage down. If we have the power to do that then we should be able to get Timm in there.

I actually want Danny Boyle to direct the next Batman movie and have J Nolan and Goyer script. The thing is that Timm and Dini NEED to oversee everything and hold them to a high standard. I'm with Kang on Timm playing that role.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #100
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've long suspected someone in WB actively hates Bruce Timm. His new GL series is a huge surprise to me; I can only guess Geoff Johns likes Timm, and has enough clout to get his way.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote