The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #26
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - Part 12

There is a sense of groundedness, I know that Snyder used real world locations for Dawn of the dead but then, that was not a comics based Superhero movie.

*\S/T*
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Some people here are dismissive about giving Nolan any credit and they think that Snyder is the man who is behind most of the decisions for this movie.

I think that while Nolan's involvement is limited he sort of laid the road map for Snyder, after that the rest of process is all in Snyder's hands. I hope that I am making some sense here.
Snyder and Nolan met and shared a vision of what Man of Steel should be so they probably agreed on the way the film should be shot there and then.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #28
Project862006
Banned User

^exactly nolan does'nt seem like a guy who would force a visual look on someone

Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I meant more that WB was intentionally pursuing the tone and look of BB. Not necessarily that Nolan himself was heavily involved, but rather that MOS adopted that style.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #30
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Well whatever they are doing, I like it! Now I just hope that there is little to no speed ramping (slow motion) and I'll be happy. Since DOTD had little to none of it, I hope MOS doesn't either. It wouldn't fit this ´´realistic`` visual style and besides it looks far more impressive to see things at normal speed. Look at the bank vault shot. Slow mo would totally ruin it, IMO. But im sure WB knows that everyone and their dog is sick of Snyder's ramping by now.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Despite the "realism" the slo-mo should still very much be included. That is something that would really work for Superman and furthermore add to the intensity and visual coolness. But with moderate and inventive usage of course.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Some people here are dismissive about giving Nolan any credit and they think that Snyder is the man who is behind most of the decisions for this movie.
Actually there are people here who are giving credit to the director instead of the producer, which happens with every other movie that was ever made.

The ones who are giving credit to Nolan are the only ones being dismissive, as they choose to ignore the actual guy who was there guiding the filmmaking process.

The fact that Nolan and Goyer came up with the story and got the movie into production is nothing special. Francis Ford Coppola did not decide to make The Godfather. It was a project that was already being considered and they gave it to him (if I recall he had to be convinced to do it and one of the only reasons he was chosen was because if his Italian heritage). But it was his genius that made it work so the credit goes to him, and rightfully so.

If this movie is good it will be because of what Snyder did, not Nolan. Even if the foundations were laid by Nolan there is still the chance it could go horribly wrong. The Avengers was written by Zak Penn, who is a horrible writer. Joss Whedon made that film work.

Quote:
I think that while Nolan's involvement is limited he sort of laid the road map for Snyder, after that the rest of process is all in Snyder's hands. I hope that I am making some sense here.
He did his job as a producer. He made arrangements for the production to go forward. Goyer came up with the story on his own time, Nolan liked it, offered some input as a fellow writer, and got his brother Jonah (who is not Nolan's clone, which some people seem to believe) to rewrite it. This is pretty standard producer stuff. Plenty of movies have scripts made before there are directors.

Nolan's involvement is a good thing. I am not against him. But this focus on him is unfair. And what bothers me the most is that I predicted this would happen. Mark my words, the second the fans see something they don't like, it will be Snyder's movie again.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Despite the "realism" the slo-mo should still very much be included. That is something that would really work for Superman and furthermore add to the intensity and visual coolness. But with moderate and inventive usage of course.
Well, I'd like to see little of it. And used to really enhance scenes not just for show. Because for me, it's simply much more impressive to see things in normal speed when it comes to Superman. Like Superman getting smashed into the bank vault. It looks awesome because it looks real. Speed ramping makes shots look artificial to me. And it fits better with things like 300 and Watchmen where Snyder is brining comic book pages to life. Just my personal preference of course, your mileage may vary. But most people do seem to be annoyed by Snyder's slow mo. I guess he was overdoing it.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #34
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Nolan is not acting like most of the producers do, for example Steven Spielberg is the executive producer for Transformers movies, do you want to say that Nolan's involvement is similar to that of Spielberg's ?

*\S/T*
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #35
Bran-El
Side-Kick

If MOS is successful Nolan is heavily involved, if it's a disaster it was Snyder. I'm not bias BTW.

Last edited by Bran-El; 07-24-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Nolan is not acting like most of the producers do, for example Steven Spielberg is the executive producer for Transformers movies, do you want to say that Nolan's involvement is similar to that of Spielberg's ?
Most executive producers are just there in name only. Nolan is actually doing what a producer should be doing, which is aiding the production. This includes getting the script ready, assembling the cast (with the directors approval) and all of the things that a director may not be able to do but are essential in getting the movie made. So he's not like Speilberg but he's still not the director either.

The bottom line is that Nolan was not there to direct the actors, film the scenes and basically make the movie. He was busy making TDKR. Snyder was the guy doing that. The film we watch will be Snyder's work.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
Alchemy Arcade
Side-Kick

I feel like the origin angle we'll get is:

Act 1) Krypton, Kansas and Clark's feelings of alienation.

Act 2) Clark running from Smallville, his powers and himself.

Act 3) Enter Metropolis and the brewing threat that hangs over the first two acts (a return to Smallville due to said threat), and Clark accepting his powers, himself and what he can be for mankind.

Although, I really hope to see the Krypton sequences weaved in by flashbacks.

Last edited by Alchemy Arcade; 07-24-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Most executive producers are just there in name only. Nolan is actually doing what a producer should be doing, which is aiding the production. This includes getting the script ready, assembling the cast (with the directors approval) and all of the things that a director may not be able to do but are essential in getting the movie made. So he's not like Speilberg but he's still not the director either.

The bottom line is that Nolan was not there to direct the actors, film the scenes and basically make the movie. He was busy making TDKR. Snyder was the guy doing that. The film we watch will be Snyder's work.
I never said that Nolan is the director but his role seems to be a bit more than that of a traditional producer, many news sites have used the word "mentor" though officially he is just a producer, even he will admit that he is nothing more.

The director is Snyder that he will be the one who will shape the movie, Nolan has just done the basic ground work. (IMO.)

Edit: Goyer and Nolan are both credited as story writers on IMDB, don't say that IMDB is unreliable, it cannot give out false credits as many studio officials are members of the site and it cannot give false credits like that, some things may not be accurate but not important things like this.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 07-24-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #39
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
I never said that Nolan is the director but his role seems to be a bit more than that of a traditional producer, many news sites have used the word "mentor" though officially he is just a producer, even he will admit that he is nothing more.

The director is Snyder that he will be the one who will shape the movie, Nolan has just done the basic ground work. (IMO.)
The only reason it seems like he is more involved is because of the reverence he has among movie fans. His name stands out. And in my opinion WB wants it to seem that way. Considering how successful the Batman movies are, the fact that Nolan is attached to another superhero franchise in any form is something they want to advertise.

Nolan may have laid the ground work, but no more than the producers of The Godfather did so for Coppola.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #40
sup101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Arcade View Post
I feel like the origin angle we'll get is:

Act 1) Krypton, Kansas and Clark's feelings of alienation.

Act 2) Clark running from Smallville, his powers and himself.

Act 3) Enter Metropolis and the brewing threat that hangs over the first two acts (a return to Smallville due to said threat), and Clark accepting his powers, himself and what he can be for mankind.

Although, I really hope to see the Krypton sequences weaved in by flashbacks.
you think a actor like russell crowe agreed to be in this just for flashbacks?it must gonna be a flashback of about 30 to 40 minutes.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #41
Bran-El
Side-Kick

After passing on LOTR, you can bet Russell Crowe wants to get his name on a movie franchise. He's going to be awesome as Jor-El. Great casting.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #42
combocaz
Side-Kick

I hope people realise its snyders vision. I give credit to nolan for paving the way though.

Donners superman was great in its time but im ready for a modernised superman taking a different direction with story and in film making.

I do hope MOS does really well to pave the way for JLA.

WETA will make a man fly.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #43
Alchemy Arcade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
you think a actor like russell crowe agreed to be in this just for flashbacks?it must gonna be a flashback of about 30 to 40 minutes.
Flashbacks broken up and scattered over 2-1/2 hours could easily accumulate to a half hour or so.
Besides, how long was Brando in STM? His status as an actor was very high by then.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #44
sup101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Flashbacks broken up and scattered over 2-1/2 hours could easily accumulate to a half hour or so.
Besides, how long was Brando in STM? His status as an actor was very high by then.
flackbacks are weak and cheap to me.they have alot to cover this time around.it's alot deeper then stm.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #45
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I hope so; I mean...their involvement with the story process is what mainly drew me to this film, let alone securing most of my confidence going into it.

While I agree that Snyder will give it his all in his directorial duties, and draw out great performances from his cast..when it comes to Story..that's something I would rather have Nolan and Goyer working on.

In any case, for the sake of modernizing Superman..I hope the one thing that they didn't aim for was making Superman a hero in this film as a result of feeling guilty for not being able to save someone.
I hope they come back as well! Story is paramount!

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #46
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

The way that the bearded Clark looks at that bus in the CC footage, that will cue the flashback to the bus accident in his youth. If not, then Clark is scared of buses. I also think the footage of him with the dog will cue the flashback. Besides, we already have a sort of confirmation that the flashbacks will be included. I saw a leaked call sheet that had some Krypton scenes listed as a flashback. That also stated that the opening scene is Clark arriving to the Alaskan village and entering a bar.

And really, there are only two ways to go about it. Linear origin or flashbacks. I prefer flashbacks.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #47
Alchemy Arcade
Side-Kick

Same here.

I would love to see Kryptons story progress into destruction through flashbacks while Clark's story progresses into Superman, perhaps with Jor-El guiding him and unraveling Kryptons story all at once.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
sup101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same here.

I would love to see Kryptons story progress into destruction through flashbacks while Clark's story progresses into Superman, perhaps with Jor-El guiding him and unraveling Kryptons story all at once.
the way you put it do sound interesting.I would be fine with it as long as it's done right.but if they go Linear origin it will be a longer movie and flashbacks it's gonna be short.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #49
Zorex
No T, No Shade

I know a lot of people are saying the Krypton stuff will be flashbacks, and I don't doubt there will be some of that, but I'm betting that the bulk of the Krypton-set scenes will happen linearly, opening the movie.

Beyond that, I think it's possible we go from there to adult Clark in Alaska. From there, his back story would unfold in flashback, bit by bit bringing us up to where he is now, purposefully on his own, trying to live the life of a a very ordinary man (this possibly fueled by guilt over being unable to have saved someone very dear to him), all the while burdened with unanswered questions about who he is and where he came from. His only clues would be the ship, revealed to him in one of the Smallville flashbacks, and his powers.

Some catalyst takes him further north, into the Arctic, where his questions are answered, and perhaps there we get a bit more Krypton material.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #50
souperman
Side-Dish

...speaking of the MOS Cavill suit at Comic con... did anyone stand next to the suit and get an idea of the size?

Cavill looks like a good 6 foot but no more from the images I have seen. Did the suit look like a 6 foot 3 inch guy could wear it?

just curious... I think he looks ...awesome, especially in the shot where he is in handcuffs walking in front of the soldiers. I'd like to see a Hi Def version but the image makes him look majestic and...serious.

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread