The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #251
Atom Ant
Banned User

Default Re: TDKR SPOILERS (read at your own risk) - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaalaDan View Post
Yeah, that's ok. It's his vision and all. I just don't have to like it, you know? The other movies didn't make me question his interpretation like this one.
so how long do you suppose Batman should keep doing the job? This is a "realistic" take on the character. Just how old and cripple should be become before you'd allow him to retire? Should he fight crime from a wheelchair?

Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #252
UaalaDan
Banned User

Forever. Not being Batman and all, as in wearing the suit, but always fighting against crime, corruption and for a better tomorrow anyway possible. His chance of a normal life died with his parents.

UaalaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #253
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Not for this version. He was human, and not as damaged as the comics version of Bruce. Also, the City wasn't that damaged either.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #254
UaalaDan
Banned User

Well, all the prisoners of Blackgate are still on the loose, according to the movie...And Blake obviously needs training.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #255
Broker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, all the prisoners of Blackgate are still on the loose, according to the movie...And Blake obviously needs training.
I think you missed many of the key issues explored in this trilogy.

Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #256
UaalaDan
Banned User

Let's not get into that again, please...

Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #257
Broker
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you keep making the same points then it's likely you are going to receive the same answers.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #258
Atom Ant
Banned User

Quote:
Forever. Not being Batman and all, as in wearing the suit, but always fighting against crime, corruption and for a better tomorrow anyway possible. His chance of a normal life died with his parents.
wow that's pretty rigid. so his entire existence is one of revenge and anger? never should he be allowed to enjoy his life at all? you don't think he'd ever think "this is not what my parent's would have wanted for me, I've done enough,the baton is passed and the city is in good hands.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #259
UaalaDan
Banned User

I'm tired of people saying I didn't understand the movie just because I don't share their opinions about how things should've been done or were done.

I'm not making any points. I just said that this story can be continued in the future if that's what they want to do either in a sequel, new trilogy, World's Finest or Justice League.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #260
Broker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm tired of people saying I didn't understand the movie just because I don't share their opinions about how things should've been done or were done.
But, with respect, your arguments usually allude to a misunderstanding of the key issues within the trilogy.

For example, even as early as BB Bruce is envisioning a time when he would no longer be Batman; when he can have a life as Bruce Wayne. Into TDK his main motivation is a way out, a life outside of Batman, where he can be himself with Rachel. And in TDKR the time for Bruce to be Batman is quite clearly at an end, it is explicit that he needs to move on with his life, not put his body and his life on the line any longer.

Yet, you continually makes points that contradict the entire theme that is laid down for us, such as saying the Blackgate prisoners are loose or that Blake needs training.

You don't seem to 'get' the point that there will always be crime, but that Bruce has done his part and it must now be someone else to take the mantle, whatever that is, and who should find their own path.

Last edited by Broker; 07-27-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #261
UaalaDan
Banned User

And yet, even in those movies, if you paid attention like you said you did, even if he wanted to get out, there's always something that prevents him from actually achieving this goal and that's the beauty of the whole situation.

Alfred in this movie wants him to live his life but he forgets that there's another madman at loose and no, the police can't handle that. Bruce knows it and Blake knows it that only Batman can defeat Bane, just like he did in the end. So, i've always liked the idea that he wants to carry on with life..but just can't.

The line in Batman: Mask of Phantasm says it all. Watch that movie.

So, to my mind, like i said previously, even if Bruce gives up of being Batman, that means, is finished donning the cape and cowl, because he's too old or because his body can't handle it, he can't give up the fight against injustice because there's always new threats and new forms of injustice and plenty of ways to fight it instead of actually going out at night to beat up criminals. So, to simply give up of Gotham and forget about it, to me, is a disservice to the character. I understand the way it was done because that's the way Nolan saw it as being his end. I don't have to like it or agree. We can all have different interpretations and opinions so please don't say i didn't get the themes of these movies just because i don't agree with you.

Last edited by UaalaDan; 07-27-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #262
Broker
Side-Kick

Quote:
even if he wanted to get out, there's always something that prevents him from actually achieving this goal and that's the beauty of the whole situation.
Whatever further threat there is is now for someone else. That's the realisation Bruce comes to within TDKR.

Quote:
The line in Batman: Mask of Phantasm says it all. Watch that movie.
I have seen it and it's great. But it has no connection to TDKR - they are in different 'Bat Universes.'

Last edited by Broker; 07-27-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #263
Broker
Side-Kick

Quote:
We can all have different interpretations and opinions so please don't say i didn't get the themes of these movies just because i don't agree with you.
It's not a matter of agreement, I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

Last edited by Broker; 07-27-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #264
UaalaDan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker View Post
That's the point you're missing though...whatever further threat there is is now for someone else. That's the realisation Bruce comes to within TDKR.
That's cool and I like that. But just like Ben Kenobi in the original Star Wars movies, he still helped Luke and was there for him, even if he wasn't the one doing the fighting, per se. He was the one giving advice and all, training him, etc. I think a scene like that would've been cool in the end, instead of just Bruce forgetting everything and starting a new life. But that can be implied, though. I just would've liked to see it anyways.

But i totally get it now why he was with Selina. He even says in the movie: I won't let her get away. Bruce found his match in love. Someone who is as crazy and unique as he is. That was really well done and this is the beauty of a second viewing. I actually missed that line on my first viewing, somehow.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #265
Broker
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's cool and I like that. But just like Ben Kenobi in the original Star Wars movies, he still helped Luke and was there for him, even if he wasn't the one doing the fighting, per se. He was the one giving advice and all, training him, etc. I think a scene like that would've been cool in the end, instead of just Bruce forgetting everything and starting a new life. But that can be implied, though. I just would've liked to see it anyways.
Personally, I don't like the whole John Blake inherits the Batcave aspect. I could have done without it. But I see how Nolan wants it to work.

Quote:
But i totally get it now why he was with Selina. He even says in the movie: I won't let her get away. Bruce found his match in love. Someone who is as crazy and unique as he is. That was really well done and this is the beauty of a second viewing. I actually missed that line on my first viewing, somehow.
I have to say, I enjoyed the picture more on my second viewing.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #266
Isis
Side-Kick

I remember from one of the spy pictures that Modine was holding a pair of women's underwear. Was it cut from the film, or was he just teasing the paparazzi?

I personally thought the Bruce-Selina relationship was underdeveloped in the story, probably because they couldn't fit it into the small time frame.

Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #267
UaalaDan
Banned User

Had they cut Modine's character, they could've developed those important characters like Miranda and Selina way more.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #268
HappyDragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker View Post
You don't seem to 'get' the point that there will always be crime, but that Bruce has done his part and it must now be someone else to take the mantle, whatever that is, and who should find their own path.
That's a good point. What Nolan's movies seem to establish is that Batman's main threat during his tenure is the League of Shadows. Maybe not in The Dark Knight, but in that film, he's dealing with the idea of what happens when a madman becomes as theatrical as him and overthrows the mob that Batman had just finished locking up with Dent's jurisdiction. Also, Bruce is looking for his way out through Harvey Dent, but what happens to Dent completely trumps that hope for Bruce. Bring back the League of Shadows in this film, and Batman has to come back from peacetime to, once again, make sure the clan is destroyed. Now that all the leaders are finally gone, Bruce as Batman can retire, but with JGL, Bruce has finally found his suitable replacement and the idea of Batman can prosper to fight new possible threats to the city. These movies obviously established mainly one overarching problem for Bruce's Batman, which actually has an end to it, and is something the comics never really explore. Even in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel, Bruce lives on to fight the war on crime even though we think he's dead.

HappyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #269
J Dubya
Newbie First Class

Quote:
You can say that again.

Let me say that I thought the movie was great and the ending with Blake, ehhh.

He couldn't save himself from a group of thugs (and had to shoot a witness earlier) but now since he's found the cave and presumably found the suit, we're supposed to believe the Dark Knight rises? That's a tough one for me.

Trust me, I understand the full circle stuff with R'as Al Ghul telling Bruce "it's the will to act" and all that. I get that and that does bring it full circle. However, where was the will power when he was held at gunpoint? Is he going to don the bat suit and kneel when someone pulls a gun on him?

That and Talia's death scene fail were my only 2 issues with the movie. Other than that, I loved it.

J Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #270
JL Unlimited
Side-Kick

People keep using Ras' "Will to Act" as an argument for Bruce leaving everything to Blake. Bruce himself tells Blake that "Anyone can be Batman. That's the point".

So why did it bother him when there were copy cats in TDK? Didn't those ordinary citizens have the "Will to Act"?

So all it takes to be Batman according to TDKR is the "Will to Act" and a batcave with nifty gadgets?

I really liked TDKR but the end with Blake still bugs me.

JL Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #271
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Quote:
Such a funny thing to say, coming from you. Love it.

You know you are starting the same arguments for more than a week, over and over again, so don't try to spin it that way, man. I can't come to a single thread in the Rises forum, without being annoyed by you. Seriously. Please leave, or stop complaining. You aren't even open to discussion. You just *****. My head hurts after every new post that comes from you. Just stop it.
You don't see me cry for weeks on the forums after I was disappointed by a movie.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #272
THEgumby
New User - Level 0

First time posting on here, just because so far I haven't seen anyone make reference to this moment in the film. SPOILER because it's one of the tiny details that make me love this one the most out of the three. Going back to BB when Ras tells Bruce in the mansion "If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart" and couldn't help but get a lump in my throat when Talia does so to Batman. It took 8+ years for the blade to hit but it did, and it hurt him. And it just struck me in awe, the look on Bruce's face says it all. So say what you want about there not being enough chemistry between Bruce and Miranda/Talia, but that moment alone made up for it to me.

They didn't beat you over the head with references to the previous installments: ie. the bats coming out when he's trying to climb, trying to find his fear again, fear of dying, bats, etc., or even when Gordon discovered who Batman really was. My deepest sympathies to all who didn't enjoy it as much as I did. But i had such a rush of emotions from beginning to end with this movie, because this is the batman I've always wanted to see on the big screen: elemental and terrifying. And i'm so sad that it's over, but it was one hell of a ride.

Sincerely, Gumby

THEgumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #273
Atom Ant
Banned User

Quote:
hmm I thought those prisoners were members of the mob that attacked city hall. most of those are dead or captured I'd think. sure a few probably slipped though the cracks. but the majority were in the final fight.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #274
Blue_Scholar
The Battiest and Manliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post
Such a funny thing to say, coming from you. Love it.

You know you are starting the same arguments for more than a week, over and over again, so don't try to spin it that way, man. I can't come to a single thread in the Rises forum, without being annoyed by you. Seriously. Please leave, or stop complaining. You aren't even open to discussion. You just *****. My head hurts after every new post that comes from you. Just stop it.
You don't see me cry for weeks on the forums after I was disappointed by a movie.
^^A thousand years of this.^^

"The Dark Knight Trilogy" is such a pretentious title, I'm leaning more towards "RISES: The Dark Batman Knight Begins".

That's much better.
Blue_Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #275
KILLING JOKER
Anything but side-kick

I think having Batman hang up the cowl is always going to seperate the fans. It takes away from a very essential part of the character which is that he lives as a dark character who will forever avenge the death of his parents. To some people, that IS Batman. It's his curse and his life.

KILLING JOKER is offline   Reply With Quote