Default Re: Marvel Characters You '"Ship"

Stan Lee and Steve Ditko <3

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #27
sleepwalk
Side-Kick

Peter & MJ
Spider-man & Black Cat (ain't I a stinker?)
Daredevil with any tough chick (Widow, Dakota, etc.) vs "I must save her" girls

And of course . . .

Last edited by sleepwalk; 08-02-2012 at 12:34 AM.
sleepwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #28
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Colossus/Kitty is one of my favorites as well. The most staggering thing is that despite 4 X-Men films and 3 major X-Men TV cartoons (four if you count the X-MEN ANIME), it has not once been adapted. Not once. Meanwhile, Scott/Jean has endured 2-3 times (even in the post-Frost era), much as Gambit/Rogue has popped in twice. Kitty has shown up in a few films and TV shows, where she's been paired with Avalanche or Iceman.

It is partly because Colossus has gotten the shaft in X-Men media. While he almost always has a cameo or guest stint eventually, he never is part of the regular cast given anything to do. He's considered "boring" by many writers because at least in most incarnations, Colossus is one of the few male X-Men who isn't an anti-hero or has gray morals.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #29
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalk View Post
Peter & MJ
Spider-man & Black Cat (ain't I a stinker?)
Daredevil with any tough chick (Widow, Dakota, etc.) vs "I must save her" girls

And of course . . .

SHE IS A CHILD Her mutant power is that she's forever 16

Anyway, Thor and Amora. I fancy him with her over Sif, TBH.

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
WolfCypher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #30
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Colossus/Kitty is one of my favorites as well. The most staggering thing is that despite 4 X-Men films and 3 major X-Men TV cartoons (four if you count the X-MEN ANIME), it has not once been adapted. Not once. Meanwhile, Scott/Jean has endured 2-3 times (even in the post-Frost era), much as Gambit/Rogue has popped in twice. Kitty has shown up in a few films and TV shows, where she's been paired with Avalanche or Iceman.

It is partly because Colossus has gotten the shaft in X-Men media. While he almost always has a cameo or guest stint eventually, he never is part of the regular cast given anything to do. He's considered "boring" by many writers because at least in most incarnations, Colossus is one of the few male X-Men who isn't an anti-hero or has gray morals.
Good insight! It is a shame they ignore such a unique pairing.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #31
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.

*Havok and Polaris
*Cyclops and Jean Grey (The writers can have Scott play around with Emma all they want - but everyone knows that he and Jean will get back together eventually... as they should.)
*Storm and Black Panther (Marriage was forced, but they could make an awesome couple if done properly)
*Kitty and Iceman (I liked them in X3 and when I read UXM. I guess it bled over)
And yes, dammit, I still ship Rogue and Gambit. They have been written poorly in recent years but that doesn't mean that they are a bad couple. I still think that when written well, they are easily one of the best and most interesting couples in the Marvel universe.

I wouldn't mind them breaking up for a couple of years though.

katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #32
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Marvel Characters You '"Ship"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
SHE IS A CHILD Her mutant power is that she's forever 16

Anyway, Thor and Amora. I fancy him with her over Sif, TBH.
Actually, Kitty Pryde seemed to age up to about 20-21 until Chris Claremont staged his first return to UNCANNY X-MEN at the turn of the century and "aged her down" to about 18.

As for Thor/Amora, from the commentary track for "HULK VS. THOR", writer Craig Kyle seemed to share that ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuzz View Post
Good insight! It is a shame they ignore such a unique pairing.
Agreed.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #33
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

1) Cyclops & Jean Grey: I'll forever revile Grant Morrison for his atrocious New X-Men run and what he did to my two favorite X-Men.

2) Namor & Emma Frost: This is ten times more interesting a prospect then anything I've ever seen with Cyclops and Emma.

3) Wolverine & Mariko Yashida OR Silver Fox: I was absolutely devastated when they killed off Mariko. Likewise, I was thrilled when Silver Fox turned out to still be alive.

4) Gambit & Rogue

5) Havok & Polaris

6) Adam Warlock & Gamora: Great characters which go great together. Certainly a lot better than that ridiculous Ashton Kutcheresque "relationship" between Gamora and Nova.

7) Thor & Sif: I really wish they'd get rid of Jane Foster in the upcoming Thor movie so they could focus on Sif instead.

8) Doctor Doom & Silver Sable: If you read the old Silver Sable comic series where she shows up at Castle Doom dressed to the nines you'd see what I mean. Particularly if Doom is more like how he was in Doom 2099.

9) Spider-Man & Mary Jane

10) Winter Soldier & Black Widow

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #34
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Off the top of my head, from recent issues of Dan Slott's AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and with regrets to offending some of my fellow "Spider Marriage" fans:

Silver Sable/Spider-Man. C'mon, they went through all the trouble of making Spidey single again and the only costumed lady he has been allowed to go on a date with was Ms. Marvel? Sable's a mercenary, a diplomat and could serve as that "amazing femme fatale someone dares to try to love" in much the same way Brubaker sometimes plays with Barnes/Black Widow. The contrast would be part of the charm, and maybe inject some "spy thrills" that is in Peter's blood from his parents. It'd certainly be more entertaining to me than Carlie Cooper or "friends with benefits" moments with Black Cat. Sable's been hanging around since the 80's to boot. Surely worse stories have been pursued whole hog than this.
Even before she started making a play for Spidey in Ends of the Earth, I always thought Sable would have been much more effective than Black Cat in the role of the femme fatale that has the hots for Spider-Man but who cares less about who he really is under the mask. Especially since it wouldn't such an obvious pastiche to the Batman/Catwoman relationship like it gets between Spidey and Black Cat. And of course, Dan Slott wasn't the first to suggest a pairing between Spidey and Sable; they ended up getting together at the end of the two-part "What If The Amazing Spider-Man Had Not Married Mary Jane?" story.

Even so, I'm still a Peter/MJ shipper at heart.

Other romantic pairings I like are The Thing and Alicia Masters, Iron Man and Pepper Pots, and Winter Soldier and Black Widow,

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #35
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Even before she started making a play for Spidey in Ends of the Earth, I always thought Sable would have been much more effective than Black Cat in the role of the femme fatale that has the hots for Spider-Man but who cares less about who he really is under the mask. Especially since it wouldn't such an obvious pastiche to the Batman/Catwoman relationship like it gets between Spidey and Black Cat. And of course, Dan Slott wasn't the first to suggest a pairing between Spidey and Sable; they ended up getting together at the end of the two-part "What If The Amazing Spider-Man Had Not Married Mary Jane?" story.

Even so, I'm still a Peter/MJ shipper at heart.
Aren't most Spidey fans?

For the record, Spidey & Sable also wound up together in another WHAT IF issue from the 90's, which was actually titled "WHAT IF SPIDER-MAN HAD MARRIED BLACK CAT?" Basically the answer was, "everything would have gone to pot and he'd have wound up with Sable".

Since Slott brought Sable back to the fold, Sable does seem to have more appreciation for Spider-Man, and as the panel shows she couldn't be more obvious unless she showed up in Peter's bed one night. Which isn't her style. Now while I do like Felicia, I do agree that Sable would be more interesting, especially in a post-BIG TIME world. It would fit Slott's mantra of, "bigger Spidey, bigger challenges". Plus, it would fit a little with Peter's roots as his parents were spies and Sable has a toe in that world.

Plus, the advantage of him dating a "costumed character" is fans would understand why a marriage would be less likely and there'd be less backlash than if Peter dates some writer's Mary Sue like there was for Carlie.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #36
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.

Quote:
I never actually thought about it before, but you're right. They never have been a couple in any of those adaptions. How odd.
But to be fair, they are not as popular/recognizeable a couple as Jott or Romy and I think that is part of the reason why. Also, I would say that the only couple who is consistently shown as a couple is Jott. Rogue and Gambit flirted a lot in TAS but weren't shown as an official couple. Same with Evolution. As far as the movieverse goes... they never even appeared in the same movie.

katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #37
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Well Scott x Emma is a couple we'll never see in the movies

Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #38
Union Jack
defender of the realm

No love for cap britain and meggan here?? :0(

Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #39
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
Off the top of my head, from recent issues of Dan Slott's AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and with regrets to offending some of my fellow "Spider Marriage" fans:

Silver Sable/Spider-Man. C'mon, they went through all the trouble of making Spidey single again and the only costumed lady he has been allowed to go on a date with was Ms. Marvel? Sable's a mercenary, a diplomat and could serve as that "amazing femme fatale someone dares to try to love" in much the same way Brubaker sometimes plays with Barnes/Black Widow. The contrast would be part of the charm, and maybe inject some "spy thrills" that is in Peter's blood from his parents. It'd certainly be more entertaining to me than Carlie Cooper or "friends with benefits" moments with Black Cat. Sable's been hanging around since the 80's to boot. Surely worse stories have been pursued whole hog than this.

There was an issue of WHAT IF? that actually explored this relationship...I thought it was pretty good. Peter was happy cause he was dating someone he didn't have to constantly worry about and he could keep his mind on the task at hand. He also made a ton of money from the mercenary gigs he picked up...

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #40
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

oh and i totally forgot

Iron fist and Misty Knight!
cause fist digs the Sistas!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #41
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

I like that one too, although they keep breaking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_girl09 View Post
I never actually thought about it before, but you're right. They never have been a couple in any of those adaptions. How odd.
But to be fair, they are not as popular/recognizeable a couple as Jott or Romy and I think that is part of the reason why. Also, I would say that the only couple who is consistently shown as a couple is Jott. Rogue and Gambit flirted a lot in TAS but weren't shown as an official couple. Same with Evolution. As far as the movieverse goes... they never even appeared in the same movie.
I think part of it stems from writers finding Colossus "boring" and/or those in media underestimating his recognition and "buzz" factor. Lord knows every audience I watched "X-MEN 2" with in theaters cheered for his cameo like he was Ozzie Osborne.

The way I see it, something like Colossus should stand out considering most of the X-Men characters are anti-heroes or have gray morals. I always saw him as akin to a younger Superman with fewer powers raised in Russia rather than Kansas. He's even a "man of steel".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
There was an issue of WHAT IF? that actually explored this relationship...I thought it was pretty good. Peter was happy cause he was dating someone he didn't have to constantly worry about and he could keep his mind on the task at hand. He also made a ton of money from the mercenary gigs he picked up...
I vaguely recall that one.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #42
tyciol

I always thought Franklin Richards and Kitty Pryde made a cute pair.

Plus gotta love Professor X + Jean Gray.

tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #43
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I like Colossus and Shadowcat and Bruce Banner and Betty Ross

Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #44
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
I always thought Franklin Richards and Kitty Pryde made a cute pair.

Plus gotta love Professor X + Jean Gray.
Well...never heard those before.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #45
JulietCapulet

Spider-man and Mary Jane Watson are my Marvel OTP. Peter and MJ belong together.

Hulk and Betty Ross

Colossus and Shadowcat

Hawkeye and Black Widow

JulietCapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #46
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood View Post
Northstar and Juggernaut.
Ouch!

I love a good love triangle so I always turn up for the Scott, Emma, Jean, Wolverine thing (Love square?)

I also really love the Vision and Wanda relationship even though I understand why in the comics it's time to let them stay apart for a while.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #47
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietCapulet View Post

Hawkeye and Black Widow
I....erm.....but....okay.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #48
Kitsune
Fox of Ages

MJ and Peter
if MJ didn't exists I sort of like the idea of Peter Parker and Jennifer Walters
Rouge and Joseph, or at least someone other than Gambit
Moonstone and Hawkeye (I rather liked that storyline and I wished they hadn't abandoned the character grow for Karla Soften)

Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #49
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

so I don't read the series (checked out one issue and decided not to stick with it), but is Kitty/Iceman a thing now in Wolverine and the X-Men?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #50
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I much prefer Kitty/Peter I must say.