The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #426
Grievous
Miss Me?

Default Re: Discussion: The Economy, Fiscal Cliff, National Debt, And Other Financial Issues

I like how they pointed out that the reason Reps don't want taxes on 250+ is because that actually isn't too much in high living areas like New York and most people making that kind of money have huge college debts. Reps are not trying to cooperate because they are upset over the election is untrue, they have a valid point in keeping the talks going. It urks me when people play the Obama can't doing anything for the dummies on the other side card. IMO Obama fans need to stop making excuses.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #427
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The Economy, Fiscal Cliff, National Debt, And Other Financial Issues

I'm having real trouble swallowing this notion that "250 grand isn't all that much in certain places" line of thinking that keeps getting repeated now.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #428
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Actually 250 in New York City for a family of four is definitely not rich. You're not poor but you're not driving around a Beamer and taking huge vacations every year.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #429
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

$250,000 per family, especially if they are a small business owner, isn't rich ANYWHERE except in developing countries.

Most small business owners file personal income taxes and ANY PROFIT that they have goes right back into growing their business.

Obama keeps saying raise the taxes of millionaires and billionaires....fine with me, but get the damn number right.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #430
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I'm having real trouble swallowing this notion that "250 grand isn't all that much in certain places" line of thinking that keeps getting repeated now.
Are you a small business owner filing your taxes with $250,000....if not, then yeah you probably would have a hard time swallowing that because you have no idea what they actually do with that money.

Really???? you think that $250,000 in a family of 4, 4 car notes, house note, possibly one or two in college is rich? Really?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #431
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, that's just total hogwash.
Me and my partner have a combined income of $65,000 for the household and we're living very well. I could not imagine making 250K. I wouldn't even know what to do with it, lol.

In a weird way, I don't really want to make more money. I'm 100% content. And I certainly don't give a damn if my taxes are raised. That's pretty much the mandatory requirement to get us out of this deficit anyway.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #432
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Are you a small business owner filing your taxes with $250,000....if not, then yeah you probably would have a hard time swallowing that because you have no idea what they actually do with that money.

Really???? you think that $250,000 in a family of 4, 4 car notes, house note, possibly one or two in college is rich? Really?
Absolutely. Is this the freakin' Twilight Zone?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #433
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

It's not poor, it's upper middle class. It's not rich. My wife and I make a little less than $250 and have a 2 year old. We live in small 1-bedroom in Brooklyn and aren't struggling per se, but we never take vacation, don't but the newest i-whatever, and barely manage to put anything into savings outside of a 401k.

It really does depend on where you live.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #434
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
$250,000 per family, especially if they are a small business owner, isn't rich ANYWHERE except in developing countries.

Most small business owners file personal income taxes and ANY PROFIT that they have goes right back into growing their business.

Obama keeps saying raise the taxes of millionaires and billionaires....fine with me, but get the damn number right.
In my area where the average income of a family is less than $100,000 it is very well off. See this is one problem in this country right now. Its like at some point in the past 4 years the media, government, and the majority woke up and completely forget that not every well to do person makes 6 figures. In my area the average person makes less than $40,000 a year so all this middle class talk going on in Washington completely excludes us. Its like we are left to pick up the scraps of whatever the rest dont want. Makes me proud to be a part of such a great country. United indeed.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 01-01-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #435
Arc-Light
Forward and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
Reps in DC getting in Obama's way were voted in by people that didn't agree with all of Obama's ideas. This country is always going to be divided on politics. Saying you voted for Obama so you want his plan is basically you saying he won the election so every rep can't have a opinion anymore.
Yep tried of it, Dems have 2-1 in congress, no point in compromise anymore when i don't agree with anything the repbubs want to pass....their point of view to protect the rich at all cost is pathetic...

Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #436
Arc-Light
Forward and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
In my area where the average income of a family is less than $100,000 it is very well off. See this is one problem in this country right now. Its like at some point in the past 4 years the media, government, and the majority woke up and completely forget that not every well to do person makes 6 figures. In my area the average person makes less than $40,000 a year so all this middle class talk going on in Washington completely excludes us. Its like we are left to pick up the scraps of whatever the rest dont want. Makes me proud to be a part of such a great country. United indeed.
Right if you don't think 250 is well off or rich..you need a head check...

Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #437
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Here is the problem I see with this...you are equating a # with being rich, without knowing anything about the families that are "living" with that number.

Yes, $250,000 in a 2 bedroom apartment, 2 cars, no kids in college, possibly no car notes is well off...

A family of 4 or 5 with kids in college, a house note, and car notes making $250,000 is very much a different situation.

Of course, you might come back with the old, well that is their choice to own a house, kids going to college, etc.....

Which is once again, a liberal lamenting about the success of someone else. I'm not saying that that is how you think, but it is certainly the mentality of this administration.

AGAIN, I REPEAT......if he wants to raise taxes on millionaires and billionaires which is exactly his words now 3x in the last 2 days....FINE. But, $250,000 has never been, and will never be a million dollars, no matter how you look at it.

And BTW, being well off and rich, are two very different things. I'm well off, but I am FAR from being rich.

People making $250,000 people (especially small business owners) out to be rich, simply because they themselves make $40,000 is just sad. Sorry, but that sounds like sour grapes to me...

I get as disgusted at liberals slamming people for being successful as much as I do conservatives tea party activists thinking that we need NO TAX INCREASE. Both need to have their heads checked, or at the least get their heads out of their asses.

I am fine with the $450,000 compromise, I would much rather it start at at least $750,000.....but I would vote for this compromise. But I will never equate $250,000 with being rich, sorry that is just ridiculous.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #438
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Its hard to do a generic income assessment as incomes reflect geographic areas. One who earned 250k in NYC will earn less than half of that doing the same thing elsewhere, for example.

My younger brother has a friend who are both entry level analysts at GS, one in Salt lake, one in NYC. Nyc gets 110, SLC gets 45.

Same job, same hours, same everything.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #439
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Its hard to do a generic income assessment as incomes reflect geographic areas. One who earned 250k in NYC will earn less than half of that doing the same thing elsewhere, for example.

My younger brother has a friend who are both entry level analysts at GS, one in Salt lake, one in NYC. Nyc gets 110, SLC gets 45.

Same job, same hours, same everything.

This I can agree with...very true. And on top of that, people in NYC are getting taxed out the ass from their state as well.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #440
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:

I don't recall ever saying that was "rich."

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #441
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I don't recall ever saying that was "rich."

Well, you certainly didn't say that it wasn't.... it was definitely implied. But really, your post was quoted, but my response was more global so to speak.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #442
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc-Light View Post
Yep tried of it, Dems have 2-1 in congress, no point in compromise anymore when i don't agree with anything the repbubs want to pass....their point of view to protect the rich at all cost is pathetic...
The compromise is $450,000, live with it. The $250,000 or $200,000 as a single probably wouldn't have touched you either.....BUT I CAN SURE AS HELL TELL YOU, that had we gone over the cliff, unless you are making absolutely no money, your taxes would have gone up. I don't know about you, but my taxes going up $6,000, would not have been a cool thing, considering my salary has been frozen now for 3 years.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #443
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, you certainly didn't say that it wasn't.... it was definitely implied.
I wasn't meaning to imply that. I was implying that I'm having trouble mustering wells of sympathy for people who make a quarter of a million dollars. Generally speaking, I'd say they're doing just fine. A roof over their head, a car, heath insurance, a 401K, their own business? Let me get a tiny violin.

Quote:
But really, your post was quoted, but my response was more global so to speak
It seemed with all the "Do YOU really think this, do YOU really think that" that it was directed specifically at me.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #444
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

I would say that a good number of those people that make $250,000, "generally speaking" a roof over their head, a car, health insurance, a 401K, their own business....probably work their asses off for that, ESPECIALLY if they have their own business. I don't play my "little violin", I applaud them....they are the backbone of this country and a good number of the employers in this country.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #445
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here is the problem I see with this...you are equating a # with being rich, without knowing anything about the families that are "living" with that number.

Yes, $250,000 in a 2 bedroom apartment, 2 cars, no kids in college, possibly no car notes is well off...

A family of 4 or 5 with kids in college, a house note, and car notes making $250,000 is very much a different situation.

Of course, you might come back with the old, well that is their choice to own a house, kids going to college, etc.....

Which is once again, a liberal lamenting about the success of someone else. I'm not saying that that is how you think, but it is certainly the mentality of this administration.

AGAIN, I REPEAT......if he wants to raise taxes on millionaires and billionaires which is exactly his words now 3x in the last 2 days....FINE. But, $250,000 has never been, and will never be a million dollars, no matter how you look at it.

And BTW, being well off and rich, are two very different things. I'm well off, but I am FAR from being rich.

People making $250,000 people (especially small business owners) out to be rich, simply because they themselves make $40,000 is just sad. Sorry, but that sounds like sour grapes to me...

I get as disgusted at liberals slamming people for being successful as much as I do conservatives tea party activists thinking that we need NO TAX INCREASE. Both need to have their heads checked, or at the least get their heads out of their asses.

I am fine with the $450,000 compromise, I would much rather it start at at least $750,000.....but I would vote for this compromise. But I will never equate $250,000 with being rich, sorry that is just ridiculous.
Nowhere in my post did I use the word rich. And yes I know that lifestyle and location is more important than a number in this discussion. However, if someone pops out 4-5 kids, buys an expensive car, and a huge mortgage its all on them. It doesnt change the fact that $250,000 is a substantial chunk of change.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #446
chesslover
Side-Kick

No deductions. No credits. One tax rate of X%. X=a whole number > 0 and < 101

Oh and have a beautiful year

Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #447
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesslover View Post
No deductions. No credits. One tax rate of X%. X=a whole number > 0 and < 101

Oh and have a beautiful year
You mean a flat tax across the board? Isnt there plenty of evidence showing this wont work?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #448
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
I'm having trouble swallowing the notion that people on the left think raising taxes on people who own businesses during a recession won't have any negative effect on the number of people they employ or the benefits they offer. Then again we NEED that $60 billion a year to bring down the $1.2 trillion yearly deficits

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #449
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Absolutely. Is this the freakin' Twilight Zone?
I love the resentment on these boards. Tax the rich! TAX THE RICH

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #450
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I'm having trouble swallowing the notion that people on the left think raising taxes on people who own businesses during a recession won't have any negative effect on the number of people they employ or the benefits they offer. Then again we NEED that $60 billion a year to bring down the $1.2 trillion yearly deficits
Simple math and basic economics seems to have failed them. Guess this happens when you have a bunch of lawyers by trade (politicians) trying to make a budget.

Last edited by Webfoot Hero; 01-01-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Closed Thread