The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #976
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Discussion: The Economy, Fiscal Cliff, National Debt, And Other Financial Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
What's toxic about US capitalism is that it's not capitalism, but they still call it such.

Yet, they've created a very anti-competitive marketplace. Making it impossible to break into an industry, hard to afford to survive if small, and don't allow big companies to fail under the claim of being 'too big to fail', which is what helps create the 'too big to fail' situation. (Why be smart with the company's money and business practices if you know the government is just going to bail you out anyway?)
Unfortunately, correct...

Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #977
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The Economy, Fiscal Cliff, National Debt, And Other Financial Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm thinking that you are exactly where you should be in your igloo in Canada.... : )

Telling us how we need to live our lives here, isn't really needed. Thanks I'm happy being an individual.
Ah, can't wait for the Post-American World.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #978
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
What's toxic about US capitalism is that it's not capitalism, but they still call it such.

Yet, they've created a very anti-competitive marketplace. Making it impossible to break into an industry, hard to afford to survive if small, and don't allow big companies to fail under the claim of being 'too big to fail', which is what helps create the 'too big to fail' situation. (Why be smart with the company's money and business practices if you know the government is just going to bail you out anyway?)
I think the best way to describe it is corporatism(ie when big corporations dictate policy)

Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #979
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Last week, our "great" governor signed a sweeping tax reform bill into law...

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2013/07/22/1270683

Atypical GOP trickle-down nonsense. Expect more harebrained 'austerity' cuts to our public schools and healthcare next year.

Makes me wish Gov. Perdue was still in office...

"Come Think With Us."
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #980
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Oh, it would be so sweet if it happens . . .

Detroit Looks to Health Law to Ease Costs

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/us...&emc=rss&_r=2&

Quote:
Officials say the plan would be part of a broader effort to save Detroit tens of millions of dollars in health costs each year, a major element in a restructuring package that must be approved by a bankruptcy judge. It is being watched closely by municipal leaders around the nation, many of whom complain of mounting, unsustainable prices for the health care promised to retired city workers.
I can see it now: Union members/Democratic sheep who blindly supported Obamacare while expecting fat healthcare benefits participating in the Obamacare exchanges because they lost those benefits in part due to their extravagance. Why would they have any complaints, though? Obamacare is going to give them super-awesome, dirt-cheap health insurance!! They should be voluntarily giving up their health insurance plans for a chance at the exchanges!

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #981
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Pensions only work if people die in a timely manner.

I guarantee that when all these pension and health package deals were created decades ago, they didn't account for people living so long. Hell, they probably didn't even expect so many people to make it to retirement age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #982
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Quote:
Pensions only work if people die in a timely manner.

I guarantee that when all these pension and health package deals were created decades ago, they didn't account for people living so long. Hell, they probably didn't even expect so many people to make it to retirement age.
I absolutely agree with your entire statement. I don't think the rapid advancement (and thus cost) in health care technology and the expanding lifespan were anticipated at the time.

Defined benefit plans should all die out, if you ask me. If I were a business owner, I certainly wouldn't offer one. As a taxpayer, I certainly wouldn't support any city/county/state/federal government having one for any employee. There's too much uncertainty, and in the taxpayer situation, taxpayers who never elected the politicians who agreed to the pension plans get whopped with the higher taxes to pay for the increasing benefits payouts . . . assuming no bankruptcy, of course.

So, I'm not just harping on defined benefit plans only because I hated that topic more than any other in any of my Accounting courses.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #983
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I too am against life time benefit plans. Why should you continue to get paid if you're no longer an employee?

Things like 401ks are the way to go. The employer gets to stop paying when the employee leaves. The employee keeps all that (pre-tax) money so they're not handcuffed to the employer. And, unlike pensions where, if the employer declares bankruptcy, the employee is **** out of luck, with a 401k, an employee can see it starting to lose money and move the investments around to something safer/growing.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #984
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
I too am against life time benefit plans. Why should you continue to get paid if you're no longer an employee?

Things like 401ks are the way to go. The employer gets to stop paying when the employee leaves. The employee keeps all that (pre-tax) money so they're not handcuffed to the employer. And, unlike pensions where, if the employer declares bankruptcy, the employee is **** out of luck, with a 401k, an employee can see it starting to lose money and move the investments around to something safer/growing.
We do the lifetime crap at our company...but it's only for execs. Us low level people don't get it.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #985
chaseter
Bland User

Fast food workers are striking because they want $15 an hour? Hahaha yeah right. Who doesn't want to pay $20 for a Big Mac meal? That was rhetorical.

$7 something an hour is barely livable yes and I feel minimum wage is due for another increase of a dollar or so but to feel you deserve $15 an hour when you more than likely have little to no education and your job is dependent upon crappy food for cheap prices...by all means strike for $15 an hour flipping burgers.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #986
Hemi'Cuda
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Fast food workers are striking because they want $15 an hour? Hahaha yeah right. Who doesn't want to pay $20 for a Big Mac meal? That was rhetorical.

$7 something an hour is barely livable yes and I feel minimum wage is due for another increase of a dollar or so but to feel you deserve $15 an hour when you more than likely have little to no education and your job is dependent upon crappy food for cheap prices...by all means strike for $15 an hour flipping burgers.
The minimum wage is nothing more than a price control for labor. We've all seen how well price controls truly work....they help a few for a while, yet the ramifications are destructive down the line.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #987
chaseter
Bland User

I don't know if you are advocating $2 an hour or $15.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #988
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I think minimum wage needs to be raised to match the cost of living for today. A person shouldn't need two jobs to simply survive. And yet so many do. "Get a better job" isn't the correct response to this situation as not everyone CAN get a better job.

But even so...if it's a job, then it should be required that the pay meets the standard of living...even if it's only the most basic of living.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #989
chaseter
Bland User

Even that still depends. If you have 3 kids and work at McDonald's...yeah you probably don't make a living wage. If you are single and have a room mate, very doable because I did it for a couple of years in college. But, that's why we have assistance programs for people who need help whether that be from genuine hard times or limitless bad life choices. No one deserves $15 for working at McDonald's, sorry.

I have been saying for a while that minimum wage should increase according to yearly average inflation. If there is deflation, no increase.

Last edited by chaseter; 08-14-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #990
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4980757.story

European Recession is Over, See's .3% Growth,

Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #991
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4980757.story

European Recession is Over, See's .3% Growth,

What????? they say their recession is over with that kind of growth....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....wow.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #992
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I didn't think a recession could be called over until there were two consecutive quarters of growth.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #993
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
What????? they say their recession is over with that kind of growth....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....wow.
I'm sure Greece and Spain would agree with this.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #994
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Edit

Last edited by OstrichsRevenge; 08-14-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #995
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I'm sure Greece and Spain would agree with this.
Greece and Spain are in the rut that they're in because of the financial habits of its citizens. Overspending, taking out loans, spending money they don't have, etc etc. It's the other EU countries that keep them afloat because they haven't learned how to manage their money yet.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #996
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal and the slew of other crippling southern European countries aren't bouncing back anytime soon.

I have no idea where you've gotten that idea. That's not denying the crap situation the United States is under but they're a superpower so that type of spending and debt makes sense as for the other countries I mentioned far less so. Plus our unemployment rate isn't anywhere close to those countries either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichsRevenge View Post
Greece and Spain are in the rut that they're in because of the financial habits of its citizens. Overspending, taking out loans, spending money they don't have, etc etc. It's the other EU countries that keep them afloat because they haven't learned how to manage their money yet.
Pretty sure that's what Kelly was referring to anyway. So I'm not sure exactly what you're disagreeing with.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #997
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Edit

Last edited by OstrichsRevenge; 08-14-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #998
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Take a break from here and learn that calling a country the laughing stock of the world isn't something we tolerate around here.

It's clear you misunderstood both Kelly and I and decided to insult the US along with berating the less fortunate European countries who are having difficulties with debt and spending as a reactionary response. I have the same opinion about the US when it comes to our "recovery" process. We're far from it and I'm sure Greece and Spain would say the same when they see reports like that.

That is all we meant by our response.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #999
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
So you are saying I should put the champagne away?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #1000
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
So you are saying I should put the champagne away?
Um, yeah....for another 5 years at least. lol...