The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #276
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I still think Item 47 is basically the pilot for it and I'm okay with that because I loved it.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #277
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
not really.. not when they're still top avengers...

it'd be like saying "lets make a tv show with Storm and Nightcrawler... they can't carry a solo film, so it really doesn't matter if they're in an X-men film.. because they're no Cyclops or Wolverine... "

we're not talking about Hellcat, BlackKnight, or Moondragon here...

Yeah, but DrCosmic's point still holds. If you play this too conservatively, you're hurting the chances of any of these characters making it to the big screen more than if you just go ahead and include them in the TV series.

There's no harm at all in the feature filmmakers deciding they want to use a character who might already exist in the TV show, and hell, even if they choose to recast and slightly shade the character to their own liking, there are very few people outside of rabid fanboydom who'd raise a ruckus.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #278
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, but DrCosmic's point still holds. If you play this too conservatively, you're hurting the chances of any of these characters making it to the big screen more than if you just go ahead and include them in the TV series.

There's no harm at all in the feature filmmakers deciding they want to use a character who might already exist in the TV show, and hell, even if they choose to recast and slightly shade the character to their own liking, there are very few people outside of rabid fanboydom who'd raise a ruckus.
I just don't think they should cast anyone on the show that they for sure know that they want on film. If they're "iffy" characters... sure why not? and those who they don't have enough faith in to do well on film, most def.

Im not saying the show shouldn't take risks.. but you also don't want to tarnish what you're building

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #279
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
I still think Item 47 is basically the pilot for it and I'm okay with that because I loved it.
that's what i'm hoping

[=]
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #280
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
That would be amazing.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #281
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I just don't think they should cast anyone on the show that they for sure know that they want on film. If they're "iffy" characters... sure why not? and those who they don't have enough faith in to do well on film, most def.

Im not saying the show shouldn't take risks.. but you also don't want to tarnish what you're building
But that's what I'm asking: how would it "tarnish" what you're building?

Hypothetical situation: Carol Danvers is introduced in SHIELD: The TV Show. Few years down the road, the director of Avengers 2 or 3 decides he wants Ms. Marvel on his roster. Question is this: regardless of whether or not they use the same actress from the TV show, how would this "tarnish" either the TV series *or* the movie(s)....???

Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #282
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
But that's what I'm asking: how would it "tarnish" what you're building?

Hypothetical situation: Carol Danvers is introduced in SHIELD: The TV Show. Few years down the road, the director of Avengers 2 or 3 decides he wants Ms. Marvel on his roster. Question is this: regardless of whether or not they use the same actress from the TV show, how would this "tarnish" either the TV series *or* the movie(s)....???
it would if you introduce a few good characters, and the show flops. often studios feel (even with fan praise) that the show and characters arn't worth another go (look at Hulk as an example so far). And a recast would certainly ruin the whole "in continuity vibe"

[=]
Old 08-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #283
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
It was fun, but that's not really a show Joss Whedon would make, nor did he have any direct involvement in it, which he probably would if it was a pilot for his show. Maybe it helped generate interest in SHIELD, but that's about it.

I'm glad, it was cutesy, but I wouldn't want an hour of that on a weekly basis. Maybe a half hour comedy thing. Sort of "Avengers meets the Office" could be a fun distraction.

Quote:

Thank you, sir. And I agree, recasts (as much as I didn't enjoy them) have been responded to positively, and a failed TV show actually makes including more heroes in the Avengers less likely in the future. Not only would it tarnish the brand but the director's reputation. What's funny is it's all the same guy making the decision about what characters to include in the TV show and what characters to introduce in future Avengers movies. Do we honestly think Joss Whedon is going to use "iffy" characters in his favored medium so that he doesn't accidentally tarnish his own movie franchise? The best way to avoid tarnishing these characters is to make an awesome show, not languish in obscurity while IM and co prove they're the only ones who can capture the attention of the masses.

I mean honestly... if Joss Whedon, hot off the Avengers, who will be making Avengers 2, who has made successful TV shows AND spinoffs before can't make a successful TV show, then the MCU is pretty much screwed anyway, right?

Last edited by DrCosmic; 08-30-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #284
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

What makes you guys think Jackson will never appear on the show?

I mean do you guys see some of the **** Jackson works on some time? The dude will do anything for a paycheck. He even said once he'd do any role for the right check. Just saying, dude wants to get paid. It might appeal to him to get a regular paying gig on something like SHIELD maybe not like weekly but a recurring role.

Plus let's also not forget that Fury goes on sabbaticals and is in and out of SHIELD constantly!

- CM Punk
Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #285
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
What makes you guys think Jackson will never appear on the show?

I mean do you guys see some of the **** Jackson works on some time? The dude will do anything for a paycheck. He even said once he'd do any role for the right check. Just saying, dude wants to get paid. It might appeal to him to get a regular paying gig on something like SHIELD maybe not like weekly but a recurring role.

Plus let's also not forget that Fury goes on sabbaticals and is in and out of SHIELD constantly!
That's what I'm saying about Eddie Murphy and the possibility of a Beverly Hills Cop TV series. A regular TV gig would probably be a rather huge step up for him, considering his recent filmography...

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #286
Iron-Fan
Side-Kick

Do any of you think they'll introduce S.W.O.R.D after a season or 2? Would it be too early yet, or maybe even unnecessary? After more and more alien races make themselves known, I can see S.H.I.E.L.D expanding their operations.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #287
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
It's out?! I need a link!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #288
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I see no reason why Sammy J wouldnt be in the show. Just last year he was in 4 different television shows. Guy has no problem with the small screen. It's a stretch to say he'll be a recurring character, but I think smaller roles are a definite possibility.

As far as the rest, I have no doubt in my mind that Smulders and Gregg would be on board should they have roles to fit. Scarjo I doubt it. Not likely we will see Black Widow on the small screen. But theres always possibilities. Renner is a little more likely I guess it just depends on how much he likes being Hawkeye.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #289
Silvermoth
Avenger

I suppose this show would be a really great opportunity to make new characters which fit into the new Marvel universe.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #290
Lord
All Mighty

If Samuel Jackson has no problems appearing on TV then that's great, you don't even need to have him as a main character, if he's a recurrying role and it's written well enough most won't realise he's not there most of the time.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #291
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It was fun, but that's not really a show Joss Whedon would make, nor did he have any direct involvement in it, which he probably would if it was a pilot for his show. Maybe it helped generate interest in SHIELD, but that's about it.

I'm glad, it was cutesy, but I wouldn't want an hour of that on a weekly basis. Maybe a half hour comedy thing. Sort of "Avengers meets the Office" could be a fun distraction.

Thank you, sir. And I agree, recasts (as much as I didn't enjoy them) have been responded to positively, and a failed TV show actually makes including more heroes in the Avengers less likely in the future. Not only would it tarnish the brand but the director's reputation. What's funny is it's all the same guy making the decision about what characters to include in the TV show and what characters to introduce in future Avengers movies. Do we honestly think Joss Whedon is going to use "iffy" characters in his favored medium so that he doesn't accidentally tarnish his own movie franchise? The best way to avoid tarnishing these characters is to make an awesome show, not languish in obscurity while IM and co prove they're the only ones who can capture the attention of the masses.

I mean honestly... if Joss Whedon, hot off the Avengers, who will be making Avengers 2, who has made successful TV shows AND spinoffs before can't make a successful TV show, then the MCU is pretty much screwed anyway, right?
Absoposifrickinlutely.

There is no other person on this planet who has more experience and is more qualified to juggle movie franchises and TV franchises simultaneously.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #292
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

Since some other people have done this, I'd like to see:

- Ms. Marvel
- Tony Masters / Taskmaster
- References to Wakanda, Atlantis etc.
- References to other worlds and/or species
- Some insight into SHIELD's creation
- Mockingbird
- AIM, Hydra etc. to be featured
- SWORD and other divisions of SHIELD to be featured/introoduced

Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #293
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Who owns Viper? Why do Fox seem to be possibly using her in The Wolverine? I thought Marvel own her along with the rest of Hydra. Don't tell me she some how came in the package deal along with others like Silver Samurai?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #294
Chewy
REDACTED

• S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Carol Danvers, Clay Quartermain, Jessica Drew, Eli Bradley, and Jasper Sitwell
  • HYDRA, AIM and Zodiac all as villainous organizations. Maybe don't use Fury's brother
  • Some Kree stuff, but not a full-on invasion... Dr. Walter Lawson as a guest character
  • Ghost!
  • SWORD as a rival sister org also funded by the World Security Council
  • Coulsion?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #295
grout
Side-Kick

Is this aimed at regular TV or something like HBO "spartagus" vibe? I dont see how it would work on regular TV.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #296
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Is this aimed at regular TV or something like HBO "spartagus" vibe? I dont see how it would work on regular TV.
It is going to be on ABC. Why do you say that? Its not like a SHIELD show features a lot of nudity or over the top violence. It will do great on regular TV.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #297
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

So the Shield is being rebooted by Joss Whedon? Will it still have Michael Chiklis?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #298
grout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
It is going to be on ABC. Why do you say that? Its not like a SHIELD show features a lot of nudity or over the top violence. It will do great on regular TV.
I dont know it just seems like if it was to work, it would have to be like an HBO series or something.. kinda like a movie broken out into episodes like spatagus. Regular TV just has a different vibe.. I would want a movie like serious approach if it was done.

I just really dont understand why it has to be a "shield" concept. I get the point of shield but its for specific reasons that happen few and far between,,, not a binding kind of soap opera glue in order to introduce characters. There is plenty of stand alone material. But its my oppinion, we already have the shield going in movies called the avengers,, not sure I want a TV series about it.You had all the shield sub plots from individual movies and now its all together + more on the way... I know the answers im gonna get but it seems they got it down movie wise,, a tv series just seems like it would get spread a little thin.. Im sure many would enjoy it but i really dont know if it would catch on with the general public.. In the individual films "shield" was a sub plot for the stand alone characters.. In the avengers I really didnt grasp that any of the heros were doing cart wheels to sign up.it came down to not allot of choice, so to reverse the roles in a tv series just dosent work in a world of stand alones,, anyways its just how i see it.. it certainly does not mean it cant be done..

Last edited by grout; 08-30-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #299
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

The potential is there... we'll see.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #300
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout View Post
I dont know it just seems like if it was to work, it would have to be like an HBO series or something.. kinda like a movie broken out into episodes like spatagus. Regular TV just has a different vibe.. I would want a movie like serious approach if it was done.

I just really dont understand why it has to be a "shield" concept. I get the point of shield but its for specific reasons that happen few and far between,,, not a binding kind of soap opera glue in order to introduce characters. There is plenty of stand alone material. But its my oppinion, we already have the shield going in movies called the avengers,, not sure I want a TV series about it.You had all the shield sub plots from individual movies and now its all together + more on the way... I know the answers im gonna get but it seems they got it down movie wise,, a tv series just seems like it would get spread a little thin.. Im sure many would enjoy it but i really dont know if it would catch on with the general public.. In the individual films "shield" was a sub plot for the stand alone characters.. In the avengers I really didnt grasp that any of the heros were doing cart wheels to sign up.it came down to not allot of choice, so to reverse the roles in a tv series just dosent work in a world of stand alones,, anyways its just how i see it.. it certainly does not mean it cant be done..
Maybe you just need to watch better TV shows? ABC's last big show LOST was pretty frikkin serious, to say nothing of Joss Whedon's other shows like Firefly, Dollhouse, and lest we forget, Buffy and Angel. A lot of your "just seems" just seems really weird, like you're trying to imagine problems and not finding anything substantial.

What would you prefer personally, rather than SHIELD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
  • S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Carol Danvers, Clay Quartermain, Jessica Drew, Eli Bradley, and Jasper Sitwell
  • HYDRA, AIM and Zodiac all as villainous organizations. Maybe don't use Fury's brother
  • Some Kree stuff, but not a full-on invasion... Dr. Walter Lawson as a guest character
  • Ghost!
  • SWORD as a rival sister org also funded by the World Security Council
  • Coulsion?
Yes, yes, and also, yes, all of this. I hadn't even though of Eli Bradley, AWESOME. Definitely not a full invasion for the Kree. I actually think it'd be cool if the Kree were in a sort of invisible war/sabotage thing, like in the Ultimate Universe. That way, the Kree Skrull war could be happening all around us covertly... and on a TV budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
So the Shield is being rebooted by Joss Whedon? Will it still have Michael Chiklis?

Last edited by DrCosmic; 08-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Closed Thread