The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #526
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer
 
Quasimod0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,780
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Coulson lives

Quasimod0 is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #527
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

This pretty much negates what brought together The Avengers.

Not a fan.

Alexei Belyakov is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #528
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 8,524
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

It may be set before the Avengers.Otherwise I don't see how It could work.

marvelrobbins is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #529
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,118
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
It may be set before the Avengers.Otherwise I don't see how It could work.

The Coulson who "died" was a Life Model Decoy. Fury Lied. SHIELD's advanced medical techniques revived Coulson. They grew him a new heart and lungs in a laboratory. There are a lot of explanations that would be plausible in a comic book-based universe.


I'm not gonna gloat, but those of us in the "Coulson Lives" fandom have been vindicated however it plays out. Agent Coulson was always the perfect choice to headline the S.H.I.E.L.D. show, so much so that I just could not believe that Marvel would go ahead with it without him. Whedon and Feige obviously agree.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #530
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,056
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
This pretty much negates what brought together The Avengers.

Not a fan.
This is where I am.

I've seen this sort of: we like the actor, lets make up some shallow malarkey to justify them surviving their death. But it doesn't ever fully address the emotional impact their death had in the story, and cheapens death and all associated tension going forward, since death can always be explained away now.

...but as long as some people have their favorite character back, everything has to work out for the best, right? And who knows, maybe Marvel will actually deal with the consequences of The Avengers -especially Tony and Steve - feeling betrayed by both Fury and Coulson, and Fury being all melodramatic about his death even in private... or Tony not knowing even though he has all of SHIELDs files or... or...

And what the heck does Whedon come off talking about 'always was' when he just got done saying he wasn't even sure he was going to do the show until recently? Madness. Disappointing. I'm sorry the vinidication of the LMDs-in-the-MCU crowd came at such a high cost...

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - Cyborg TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas - How I'd Have Done the DCCU - FYI: Stark creates Ultron in AoU
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #531
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 62,517
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

OH GOD, YOU GUYS, EVERYTHING IS RUINED!!!


__________________
"If You Don't Hate Yourself, How In the Hell You Gonna Hate Somebody Else?"
- Internet

Sawyer is online now  
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #532
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 10,854
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
This pretty much negates what brought together The Avengers.

Not a fan.
I disagree entirely.
"YOU WILL BE AVENGED, COULSON!!!!" was highly overplayed. Coulson is *not* the reason they were named "The Avengers." The Avengers Initiative existed long before Coulson's death; and Cap was The First Avenger decades before Tony Stark was even a gleam in Howard's eye. And the notion that these heroes *only* quit their *****in' and got together because they were sad about Coulson is absolutely ludicrous.

The Avengers assembled because the planet was being attacked, and humanity faced enslavement, and because these guys would have rather died trying to save Earth than to sit back and watch the world bow to Loki just because they were too petty to overcome their differences.

*Edit: Oh, and Coulson ****in' Lives.
Right on, Clark.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #533
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 17,413
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
OH GOD, YOU GUYS, EVERYTHING IS RUINED!!!

OMG stupid comic books soooooo unbelievable!!!

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #534
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Ruination

Chewy is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #535
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,118
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
OMG stupid comic books soooooo unbelievable!!!

Well, it's not like characters in the comics ever come back from the dead. Death means something there. You won't see Bucky Barnes, Wonder Man, Hawkeye, Captain America, Gwen Stacy, Norman Osborn, etc., gracing those four-color pages anytime soon....

xeno000 is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #536
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

This is even worse than that time Jim Gordon faked his death in that one movie.

#amidoingitright

Chewy is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #537
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 17,413
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Well, it's not like characters in the comics ever come back from the dead. Death means something there. You won't see Bucky Barnes, Wonder Man, Hawkeye, Captain America, Gwen Stacy, Norman Osborn, etc., gracing those four-color pages anytime soon....
Jean Grey, Elektra, Wasp, Punisher, Magick, Superman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
This is even worse than that time Jim Gordon faked his death in that one movie.

#amidoingitright
#winning

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #538
ericadawn16
Side-Kick
 
ericadawn16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 500
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Although I believe Joss Whedon used the word "autonomous".

ericadawn16 is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #539
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 62,517
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Autonomous =/= have absolutely nothing to do with what came before

__________________
"If You Don't Hate Yourself, How In the Hell You Gonna Hate Somebody Else?"
- Internet

Sawyer is online now  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #540
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Separate storylines, same universe

Chewy is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #541
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,056
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I disagree entirely.
"YOU WILL BE AVENGED, COULSON!!!!" was highly overplayed. Coulson is *not* the reason they were named "The Avengers." The Avengers Initiative existed long before Coulson's death; and Cap was The First Avenger decades before Tony Stark was even a gleam in Howard's eye. And the notion that these heroes *only* quit their *****in' and got together because they were sad about Coulson is absolutely ludicrous.
It's like the whole plot point about them needing a push was totally forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
This is even worse than that time Jim Gordon faked his death in that one movie.

#amidoingitright
This is basically the equivalent of Two-Face coming back in TDKR. A bunch of fans vindicated in their belief that a clearly dead character was secretly alive, and the entire story point hinging on his death being gutted.

If Coulson appeared at the end of the Avengers film, like Gordon did, it wouldn't open up nearly as many plot holes.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - Cyborg TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas - How I'd Have Done the DCCU - FYI: Stark creates Ultron in AoU
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #542
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 17,413
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

On the bright side, Coulson fans got to be happy about his return for a few whole minutes before people started ****ting all over it.

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 10-13-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #543
ericadawn16
Side-Kick
 
ericadawn16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 500
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Well, we're pretty good about having selective hearing/reading.


ericadawn16 is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #544
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,953
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I can't say I'm thrilled at the idea of Coulson coming back (even though I love him), but I'll certainly wait to see how they handle it before I start b****ing about it.

Also Buffy and Angel were autonomous shows with their own worlds and storylines, but they were still in a shared universe in which characters (and objects/situations) crossed over from time-to-time even though you never needed to watch both in order to understand what was happening in either. I would imagine this show will be the same kind of "autonomous."

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #545
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Does Phil coming back mean that the one that died was an LMD or that it is set before the events of Avengers?

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #546
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 17,413
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Does Phil coming back mean that the one that died was an LMD or that it is set before the events of Avengers?
We do not know.

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #547
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick
 
Joeyjojo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,830
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

We simply don't know yet. TBD.

Joeyjojo72 is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #548
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I'm hoping for LMD. I can't be dealing with sorting out continuity in my head...

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #549
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
This is where I am.

I've seen this sort of: we like the actor, lets make up some shallow malarkey to justify them surviving their death. But it doesn't ever fully address the emotional impact their death had in the story, and cheapens death and all associated tension going forward, since death can always be explained away now.

...but as long as some people have their favorite character back, everything has to work out for the best, right? And who knows, maybe Marvel will actually deal with the consequences of The Avengers -especially Tony and Steve - feeling betrayed by both Fury and Coulson, and Fury being all melodramatic about his death even in private... or Tony not knowing even though he has all of SHIELDs files or... or...

And what the heck does Whedon come off talking about 'always was' when he just got done saying he wasn't even sure he was going to do the show until recently? Madness. Disappointing. I'm sorry the vinidication of the LMDs-in-the-MCU crowd came at such a high cost...
This.

"They needed a push" was my favorite theme in the film.

Coulson's bullcrap resurrection nullifies it.

Alexei Belyakov is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #550
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The Avengers assembled because the planet was being attacked, and humanity faced enslavement, and because these guys would have rather died trying to save Earth than to sit back and watch the world bow to Loki just because they were too petty to overcome their differences.
The Avengers were assembled because the world was in danger.

The Avengers came together as a team because Phil Coulson died.

Alexei Belyakov is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.