The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #126
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Not really fair, but I think an attractive white female protag as a lead would be an easier sell than Luke Cage. At least on broadcast tv (abc). AKA JJ could introduce him and either make him a co-star or serve as a springboard for a Cage/HfH tv show or movie.

Personally I would love a HfH tv show (big fan of Iron Fist as well). But it seems less likely to get greenlit. Maybe I'm wrong.
Women heroines typically do much better on TV than film (Buffy,Xena, Scully, Bones, Charmed, Wonder-Woman, Sidney Bristow, Charlies Angeles (old school), Wonderwoman (old school), Sookie, Nurse Jackie, Echo, Dark Angel, Nikita, Lt. Debra Morgan, Daenerys Targaryen , Chloe O'Brian, Veronica Mars, Detective Olivia Benson , Jessica Fletcher, etc...)

not to mention, jessica being a central character is much more expendable to "reboot/recast" her in a luke cage film if the show failed.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #127
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
As much as I like some of the actors in the shows I watch like Eureka, Warehouse 13, or even some of these older shows like the various Star Trek ones (and they are mostly good in their roles and make the show), I think for this kind of TV series they'd need bigger names than that.

Those are mostly TV actors, and while I could see one or two of them possibly appearing in a future Avengers-related movie, I don't see someone like say, Colin Ferguson headlining any future Marvel movie. I don't really see that for any former Star Trek actor either.

The only Star Trek actor who has managed something of a crossover is Patrick Stewart, and even then it has mostly been X-Men and a few minor roles here and there in other films (eg Conspiracy Theory).
Whoopi Goldberg :-P

though she of course was already known before hand.

anywho that being said, MANY actors get their start on TV.. so it's not unbelievable. As long as they cast either seasoned known actors, or brand spanking new ones.

[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #128
OB12
Side-Kick

Well, it really depends. For example, my thought is a HfH show would not necessarily lead into a headlining movie. I'd want those actors to be available to be in the movies, like say an all-hands-on-deck type scenario in Avengers 3. In this case you'd want someone that could star in a TV show, but wouldn't be opposed to a small supporting role in a summer blockbuster. Terry Crews fits that I think.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #129
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

other actors are easily drug from film to tv. Kat Dennings. Kristen Bell, Zachary Quinto, and Zachary Levi are all great examples

[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #130
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not really fair, but I think an attractive white female protag as a lead would be an easier sell than Luke Cage. At least on broadcast tv (abc). AKA JJ could introduce him and either make him a co-star or serve as a springboard for a Cage/HfH tv show or movie.

Personally I would love a HfH tv show (big fan of Iron Fist as well). But it seems less likely to get greenlit. Maybe I'm wrong.( I do believe its absurd that in 2012 there arent any American tv shows with a black lead actor. )

Of course they already passed on Jessica Jones once, so maybe its DOA at this point. Guess we will find out soon.
I wouldn't be surprised if they re-tool AKA Jessica Jones to be something more like HfH with Jessica Jones as a featured character. I mean it seems like that shows was already going to be somewhat in continuity with the MCU.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #131
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
Well, it really depends. For example, my thought is a HfH show would not necessarily lead into a headlining movie. I'd want those actors to be available to be in the movies, like say an all-hands-on-deck type scenario in Avengers 3. In this case you'd want someone that could star in a TV show, but wouldn't be opposed to a small supporting role in a summer blockbuster. Terry Crews fits that I think.
he does. but the way i'd still do H4H is to introduce them through Jessica's encounters. First with Cage (who i don't think can carry a movie on his own) and later maybe Iron Fist (who i actually could see carry a solo film). Maybe once the two meet, the show could lead to a Heroes for Hire film, which i do think would do well.

[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #132
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they re-tool AKA Jessica Jones to be something more like HfH with Jessica Jones as a featured character. I mean it seems like that shows was already going to be somewhat in continuity with the MCU.
well at this point we know Marvel is VERY interested in HER. and have mentioned very little about Luke and Danny. She along with Hulk and Cloak and Dagger are all suppose to have shows in the works. So signs would point to when she gets a show, it's going to make her a primary cast member.

Jessica's story is also very much tied into the news papers of the marvel universe. which imo is why she works great. there's sooo many supporting cast members and stories to take a show like that.

[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #133
OB12
Side-Kick

I'd actually start a HfH series by doing seperate Luke Cage and Iron Fist, I hate to say TV movie, but essentially that's what they would be. Perhaps a 90 min movie dedicated to each leading into Heroes for Hire.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #134
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I'd actually start a HfH series by doing seperate Luke Cage and Iron Fist, I hate to say TV movie, but essentially that's what they would be. Perhaps a 90 min movie dedicated to each leading into Heroes for Hire.
my question to you though.. is that.. Luke Cage can't support his own comic... and I really have doubts on him selling a film. How do you think he can carry a show?

I mean.. the whole "protect my neighborhood home" angle is cliche and been done to death, and Luke's never really had a good set of villains..

In fact the only great story imo from him was with Purple Man

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 08-10-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #135
OsGom
Mind-Taker

I think in Joss's hands, bringing in talented new comers is completely acceptable. I was not a Buffy fan but you can't argue with the success of that series and what he did with Firefly reinforced his talent for getting the most out of unproven ensemble casts.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #136
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post
I think in Joss's hands, bringing in talented new comers is completely acceptable. I was not a Buffy fan but you can't argue with the success of that series and what he did with Firefly reinforced his talent for getting the most out of unproven ensemble casts.
exactly

[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #137
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
my question to you though.. is that.. Luke Cage can't support his own comic... and I really have doubts on him selling a film. How do you think he can carry a show?

I mean.. the whole "protect my neighborhood home" angle is cliche and been done to death
The difference is that a Luke Cage series would hopefully spend a good portion of time with him in prison and I expect would a have a significant backstory as to how he got there and then the experiments to which he agrees to secure his freedom. In addition, we haven't really seen a black superhero and his impact on a semi-realistic ghetto.

Just because his comic was canceled doesn't mean that there weren't meaningful and compelling stories being told. I was a huge fan of Powerman & Iron Fist and have enjoyed reading Cage's development as a character from the early days to the leader he is now.

So I disagree. In the right hands there is plenty of fresh material there for the telling.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #138
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

the key phrase there is "power man AND IRON FIST" I was talking solo luke cage..

unfortunately this is ABC, and like many have said before... they'd like to see powers. I really don't see how you'd tell a whole season of a show of Luke Cage in prison (i assume powerless, because him getting out would be made much easier once powered)

you have to remember this is a WIDE audience. not a small comic book

[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #139
OB12
Side-Kick

You wouldn't. Again, my suggestion would be two seperate 90 min (2 hrs with commercials) TV movies for each of Cage and Fist to get most of the backstory and then dive right into Heroes For Hire.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #140
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I'd rather see a Luke Cage big screen movie...or a Heroes for Hire tv show...but no solo stuff for him for TV.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #141
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

he'd have a better chance Solo on tv though.... truth be told.

i mean.. you're really not going to attract a huge audience with a film that appears as "big muscular black guy from marvel studios is bullet proof... watch him protect his block"

even worse if you throw in his chain and golden brass knuckles...

this is why i think a Heroes for Hire film works best for cage...

[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #142
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
other actors are easily drug from film to tv. Kat Dennings. Kristen Bell, Zachary Quinto, and Zachary Levi are all great examples
True. But for a MCU TV series, I don't think it would be quite enough if say, the cast of Heroes or the cast of Dollhouse were the cast of this new Avengers spin-off. You can pepper the series with a few of these types, but I think for the main characters (or certainly some of the super heroes) you need people more of the calibre of Lawrence Fishburne or Vincent D'Onofrio headlining the show.

Or the law series "Shark" was another one of these shows with a big lead - James Woods. Without him, the rest of them were somewhat bland and not strong enough by themselves. It takes just one strong, film-quality lead to make the rest of the cast stronger.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #143
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
True. But for a MCU TV series, I don't think it would be quite enough if say, the cast of Heroes or the cast of Dollhouse were the cast of this new Avengers spin-off. You can pepper the series with a few of these types, but I think for the main characters (or certainly some of the super heroes) you need people more of the calibre of Lawrence Fishburne or Vincent D'Onofrio headlining the show.

Or the law series "Shark" was another one of these shows with a big lead - James Woods. Without him, the rest of them were somewhat bland and not strong enough by themselves. It takes just one strong, film-quality lead to make the rest of the cast stronger.
i think those big names completely depend on the character they'd be playing.. I mean... you're not going to have Dr. Doom played by a TV actor... Kat Ferril and Purple man? shure.. that's fine

[=]
Old 08-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #144
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
i think those big names completely depend on the character they'd be playing.. I mean... you're not going to have Dr. Doom played by a TV actor... Kat Ferril and Purple man? shure.. that's fine
Ironic, since that's *exactly* who played Dr. Doom in (****ty) feature film versions of the FF.

Spideyboy, I usually agree with a lot of your ideas, but I think you're being way too short-sighted on the concept of a Marvel TV show. You've got to remember that, as huge as the Marvel Universe is, MS has only promised to produce 2-3 2-hour feature films every year, and most of those are sequels within existing franchises. So out of several thousand potential superheroes and supervillains, all of them iconic names even in pop culture outside the realm of geekdom, the actual odds of seeing any of your favorite Marvel characters in a movie are slim and none.

That's why TV is the best possible chance to get as many name heroes & villains into the mainstream. All these famous superheroes and supervillains that us fanboys keep vainly wishing would show up on film could actually make it on this TV show, but *not* in a movie.

And I disagree that the whole idea behind the TV show would be to prep heroes for a chance to get their own feature films. Not likely to happen at all....at best, we can hope for cameos from the TV heroes in some future Avenger sequel or other.

But in the meantime, a TV show gives us WAY more time to develop those characters everybody wants to see....far more time than a 2-hour flick every 3 years would. And if Smallville lasted 10 seasons, this could, too. 160 hours or so of the MCU on TV equals eighty feature films. *Eighty.* Which, at MS' current twofer (or threefer) annual movie rate, would take 36-40 years to equal.

Think about how many iconic heroes and villains could show up in that timeframe, in just *10 years* on television.

This is a golden opportunity for Marvel. I hope to god they're not as short-sighted as you seem to be about this. If they turn this into a bunch of D-listers and mundanes that nobody has heard of or nobody gives a crap about, while leaving out the recognizable name characters who will probably never grace a feature film, it will be a disaster.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #145
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick

yeah i think TV is a great medium for telling long form stories. can develop characters better and bring as as many as you want.
and i really hope they dont play down super powers and super heroes. thats pretty much what every super based show thats came out to this point has done so it would actually be kind of old hat. and theres a ton of actors and actresses doing tv nowadays that are great film actors. Timothy Oliphant,s one of my favorites and his name always comes up around super hero projects. dont think theyll have any problems finding good actors and actresses

Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #146
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Ironic, since that's *exactly* who played Dr. Doom in (****ty) feature film versions of the FF. .
Most of the FF movies featured TV actors. McMahon was from Nip/Tuck. Chiklis was from The Shield (and later went back to TV with No Ordinary Family). Alba was from Dark Angel (I don't think her film career was all that prominent at the time) and Gruffed was in Hornblower and other British productions (and has since gone back into TV with Ringer, but that came to an end).

Evans was the only one who had more of a film career at the time, and he wasn't all that known.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #147
Chewy
REDACTED

Alba was viewed as a huge up-and-comer at the time.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #148
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

tv actor, movie actor, please. this is nonsense. if the actor is good enough and directed well enough they can be on tv or in a movie easily. there is no "he is a tv actor, he is a movie actor". it is only good actors and bad actors.

some actors starting out get a movie role and they hit the ground running. some get cast in tv shows and eventually get that movie role that shows they are capable of more. still others prefer a steady paycheck you get from tv or just haven't gotten a movie role yet.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #149
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Ironic, since that's *exactly* who played Dr. Doom in (****ty) feature film versions of the FF.

Spideyboy, I usually agree with a lot of your ideas, but I think you're being way too short-sighted on the concept of a Marvel TV show. You've got to remember that, as huge as the Marvel Universe is, MS has only promised to produce 2-3 2-hour feature films every year, and most of those are sequels within existing franchises. So out of several thousand potential superheroes and supervillains, all of them iconic names even in pop culture outside the realm of geekdom, the actual odds of seeing any of your favorite Marvel characters in a movie are slim and none.

That's why TV is the best possible chance to get as many name heroes & villains into the mainstream. All these famous superheroes and supervillains that us fanboys keep vainly wishing would show up on film could actually make it on this TV show, but *not* in a movie.

And I disagree that the whole idea behind the TV show would be to prep heroes for a chance to get their own feature films. Not likely to happen at all....at best, we can hope for cameos from the TV heroes in some future Avenger sequel or other.

But in the meantime, a TV show gives us WAY more time to develop those characters everybody wants to see....far more time than a 2-hour flick every 3 years would. And if Smallville lasted 10 seasons, this could, too. 160 hours or so of the MCU on TV equals eighty feature films. *Eighty.* Which, at MS' current twofer (or threefer) annual movie rate, would take 36-40 years to equal.

Think about how many iconic heroes and villains could show up in that timeframe, in just *10 years* on television.

This is a golden opportunity for Marvel. I hope to god they're not as short-sighted as you seem to be about this. If they turn this into a bunch of D-listers and mundanes that nobody has heard of or nobody gives a crap about, while leaving out the recognizable name characters who will probably never grace a feature film, it will be a disaster.
ah but don't you see? we're thinking the exact same. A show like this could showcase for more characters than a show just focused on one hero.

[=]
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #150
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

and i think people forget that most actors DO start out in television.. so it's not really a fair comparison at times.

[=]
Closed Thread