The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #51
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I'm waiting for two other reviews in the mean time while we wait. here's some thin informative.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown dev’s three top tips for taking down ET

Comments 0
at 06:00pm October 7 2012
By now, you’ve probably got stuck into the XCOM: Enemy Unknown demo and are jonesing for the full release of Firaxis’ spectacular remake of the turnbased strategy classic. The known unknowns are no longer unknown – but what about the unknown unknowns? We’ll be bringing you a huge guide to light every corner of XCOM’s world at the game’s launch, but for now, we’ve asked lead dev Jake Solomon for a few of his tips regarding the game’s early enemies. “Every alien has multiple counters,” he says…

source: PC gamer

Last edited by zenith16; 10-07-2012 at 04:23 PM.
zenith16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #52
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Well I'm not waiting for more reviews, I know it will be good, I'm a huge XCOM fan since 94 and I trust Sid and his team. They have yet to let me down.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #53
zenith16
Side-Kick

Oh don't worry they made a sweet game. I can tell by their passion in making it. I'm just one of those people that's thorough. i think I just put like 2 or 3 more reviews. (from actual sensible reviews gamer news shows/sites that have proven them selves to be like gi has ) with it being over Bord and I'll pick this up when I have the time.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #54
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

How is Charles de Lauzirika going to manage a four hour long documentary on Prometheus?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #55
Soapy
It's happening again...

What?

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #56
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
What?
Probably should have quoted - Solidus mentioned it on the last page.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #57
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
How is Charles de Lauzirika going to manage a four hour long documentary on Prometheus?
They did, and apparently it is a really really good documentary.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #58
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Huh, that's unexpected.

Anyways - reviews will apparently go live in the next 50 minutes, not that it looks like we'll need 'em.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #59
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya looks like this game is getting amazing reviews, two great games in one day, it will be crazy.

Oh BTW Electro here is the Blu-ray review for the 4 disc version of Prometheus, they are saying it's one of the best "blu ray" releases this year.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Promet.../39474/#Review

Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #60
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quick Look: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Quote:
Some aliens and their circular robotic friends conspire to bring down Ryan's team of bug stompers.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #61
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya all the reviews have been great on this. I'm so torn, I'm buying both XCOM and Dishonored tomorrow I don't know what to play first. I may start with XCOM though, since I'm such a fan of it from years past.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #62
Soapy
It's happening again...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ridley Scott say they were going to put out an extended version? Is that right? Am I making that up?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #63
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I liked Prometheus, not enough to buy it though. Certainly didn't think it was the train wreck a lot of people were going on about. I tend to see everything at the cinema and then not bother with home releases for the most part.

Anyway, the best blu ray of the year has already been released - Avengers!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ridley Scott say they were going to put out an extended version? Is that right? Am I making that up?
They will eventually, all they have now is the 30 minutes of deleted scenes on the side. But he acts like they won't, but I bet a million they will make an extended cut for a double dip.

Quote:
I liked Prometheus, not enough to buy it though. Certainly didn't think it was the train wreck a lot of people were going on about. I tend to see everything at the cinema and then not bother with home releases for the most part.

Anyway, the best blu ray of the year has already been released - Avengers!
Well maybe for you "film wise" but in terms of features, Prometheus blows it away,and that's what it means by best blu ray release of the year.

Anywho, I liked it a lot when I first saw it, but after seeing some great explanations,and watching it again, I think Prometheus will continue to grow in it's love as time goes on. Really when I had some things explained to me, I ended up loving it much more. Some films take a while to grow on you. It has some bad actors here and there, but overall the film is actually really tight and not filled with the plot holes some say. Some act as if Damon ruined it, but really a lot of the explanations are there.

I recommend watching the special features and re-watching the film. It gives you new insight.

And speaking of aliens lol...XCOM has lots of them, and the game is as scary as Alien most the time. I hope a lot of you check this game out. Were you going to get it Soapy?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #65
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
I tend to see everything at the cinema and then not bother with home releases for the most part.
Heh, I'm just the opposite. I would rather watch a movie on Netflix, On Demand, or Blu-ray/DVD in the comfort of my own home where I have complete control of the experience. Going out to the theater to watch a movie just feels like a pain in the ass anymore. Too many unknown factors that can ruin the experience. Plus the closest theater to me is like an hour away. I'm sure that has something to do with too.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #66
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
And speaking of aliens lol...XCOM has lots of them, and the game is as scary as Alien most the time. I hope a lot of you check this game out. Were you going to get it Soapy?
Absolutely. I preordered it on Amazon last week.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #67
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I hate the fact this comes out the same day as Dishonored. :/

Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Heh, I'm just the opposite. I would rather watch a movie on Netflix, On Demand, or Blu-ray/DVD in the comfort of my own home where I have complete control of the experience. Going out to the theater to watch a movie just feels like a pain in the ass anymore. Too many unknown factors that can ruin the experience. Plus the closest theater to me is like an hour away. I'm sure that has something to do with too.
Ouch! Yeah that would probably stop me from doing it too. I go to the cinema pretty much every week. I have a local one and then one about 40 minutes away that shows a lot of independent cinema etc. Can't beat it on the big screen I think .

Also we don't have the luxury of as big a Netflix library as the US does. There's really only a handful of worthwhile films on the UK version and I don't like the get into (many) TV shows as it takes up too much time.

And yeah, Solidus I know what you mean about the best Blu Ray, I just meant Avengers is probably all I'll get on home video for the year... maybe Dredd too.

To keep this slightly on topic, IGN went with 8.2 for XCOM. A little lower than everywhere else but still a great score. Gonna be a good Friday.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #69
Soapy
It's happening again...

wrong thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #70
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Meh it's IGN, I don't really "trust" them anymore.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #71
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Meh it's IGN, I don't really "trust" them anymore.
yeah I usually don't put them up ether . but I will for this case . but I do usually feel the same way about them. it also depends on who's reviewing too.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #72
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Well all the other reviews for XCOM are just glowing, and watching the thing on Giant Bomb, has me more excited.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #73
zenith16
Side-Kick

hehe i know, like I said i'm just thorough other wise I'd just put up EPD.TV/ROTR's and GT's review's and be done for the day. but I'm just making an exception today with IGN's and soapy usually has Giant Bomb covered. as soon as EPD.tv/RoTR put theirs up if it's today I want o drop it all in one shot.

If not doing theirs today I'll put the others two up and put EPD.tv/RoTR's own stand alone when ever it is they have it up.

alright so it seems it's not today here are

XCOM Enemy Unknown Review
A tense, gripping remake that offers nearly as many tactical thrills as the original.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Review

Alien abductions and turn-based strategy collide! Has Firaxis crafted a close encounter of the third kind or an experience more akin to an unappealing probe?

source:IGN & GT

And ROTR's Review when it's ready will be stand alone.

Last edited by zenith16; 10-08-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #74
zenith16
Side-Kick

XCOM demo out now on Xbox, PS3 later today

(55 minutes ago)

Commander, to the living room console. Commander, to the living room console.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown's demo is available now on Xbox 360 to Xbox Live gold members. The demo will hit the PlayStation 3 following the regular PSN update later today, and be available tomorrow in Europe. The PC demo is already out there for discovery.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is available today at retail and will deliver close encounters of the awesome kind.
Source: Xbox Marketplace, Take-Two

Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #75
Soapy
It's happening again...

Anyone playing this?