John Debney (Iron Man 2, Spider-man 3, Passion of the Christ) 3 8.82%
Ramin Djawdi (Iron Man, Clash of the Titans, Fright Night (2011)) 24 70.59%
Other - name your composer in the thread! 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Iron Man 3 score - Ramin Djawadi vs John Debney

OK which score do you want? Djawadi, Debney, or someone else?

John Debney's Iron Man 2 score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK81B9G8y1M

Ramin Djawadi's Iron Man score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5riyajbsq0

Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: Iron Man 3 score - Ramin Djawadi vs John Debney

I'm going to wait to vote in the poll for a bit. I love Debey's music when I listen to it alone but for whatever reason it did not pop with the film.

Djawadi's score was absolutely perfect for IM1. It just fit the tone of the film. The distorted guitars, the driving drum beat, it just speaks to who Tony Stark is

I also get a kick out of Debney's "Make Way for Tomorrow Today", which was a great Disney like theme that fit with who Howard Stak was. Ironically the song was written well in advance of Disney's buy on Marvel, but it was rather prophetic looking back now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cJ1onJkig

Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Djawadi by a long shot.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually
Spider-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Chewy
REDACTED

My guess is it'll be Ottman

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Has he worked with Black before?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Has he worked with Black before?
Yep, for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I'm not familiar with the music in that film, but Ottman did do the X2 score. He's kind of a Bryan Singer guy--He did Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil, Superman Returns, Valkyrie, and Jack the Giant Killer as well.

Last edited by spideymouse; 07-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.
spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
obin_gam
Side-Kick

More Driving with the top down for everyone!

- Gene Wilder
obin_gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Yep, for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I'm not familiar with the music in that film, but Ottman did do the X2 score. He's kind of a Bryan Singer guy--He did Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil, Superman Returns, Valkyrie, and Jack the Giant Killer as well.
yep, he did X2, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns, and FF:ROTSS.

I didn't realize he did Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I'm really hoping they bring Djawadi back though, because I feel his music fits best with who Iron Man is.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Chewy
REDACTED

Djawadi's score was so bland and lifeless.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Angus Young

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
Ramin Djawadi hands down. Every track I listen to I can remember the very scene it was in and it just was a big part of what made the first movie so good. While Debney was good it was no where near as memorable as Ramin Djawadi's score
Agreed. I like the music Debney wrote, but it did not connect with the film. Every time I hear Djawadi's score I can see Tony building the suit, and the mechanical arms suiting him up, flying around, etc.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's possible. We'll see. I'll take him over Djawadi and Debney anyday. Only problem Ottman's scored four comic book movies (3 of them Marvel). I kind of hope they hire a composer that's fresh and new to genre. But they also might bring back Djawadi or Debney to score this. So who knows. I just hope IM3 actually gets a memorable and powerful score this time.

Quote:
Djawadi's score was so bland and lifeless.
I'll add generic. Lacked an emotional punch or any real impact in the film. And doesn't do Iron Man any justice, imo. It's the same type of action score you hear in almost every action movie today. Nothing unique or special about it.

My pick would be Chris Bacon (Source Code) he's up and coming, and fresh to the comic book/ superhero genre. I like to hear what he can bring to something like IM.

As long as this man

and his clones stay away from this (as executive music producer, music producer, co-composer, etc. and I know he's scoring MOS next year)

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

They need to get Ramin back. I love the soundtrack to the first movie. Driving with the Top Down should have been in IM2, it's a great theme for Iron Man.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
It's possible. We'll see. I'll take him over Djawadi and Debney anyday. Only problem Ottman's scored four comic book movies (3 of them Marvel). I kind of hope they hire a composer that's fresh and new to genre. But they also might bring back Djawadi or Debney to score this. So who knows. I just hope IM3 actually gets a memorable and powerful score this time.

I'll add generic. Lacked an emotional punch or any real impact in the film. And doesn't do Iron Man any justice, imo. It's the same type of action score you hear in almost every action movie today. Nothing unique or special about it.

My pick would be Chris Bacon (Source Code) he's up and coming, and fresh to the comic book/ superhero genre. I like to hear what he can bring to something like IM.

As long as this man

and his clones stay away from this (as executive music producer, music producer, co-composer, etc. and I know he's scoring MOS next year)
agreed. I would actually feel really good about John Ottman getting the score, his work on Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang showed he has a real versatility when compared to his work on superman returns X2 or fantastic four.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I don't even remember Debney's score for IM2 but I do remember Djawadi's clearly. Debney couldn't match the sheer exhilaration of "Driving with the top down" when Stark takes the Mark 2 for its maiden flight.

I didn't like Debney's score for Spider-Man 3 either. That was a bit dull.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Debney didn't score Spider-Man 3. That was Christopher Young i thought.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
marcvader
Lurker #1

To be perfectly honest I really didn't find either score that memorable especially IM 2's.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Yep, it was Young who scored Spidey 3, not Debney.

Anyway, I didnt think the score for IM1 was amazing, though it did grow on me over time, but it was far better than the awful score in IM2. IM2's score didnt even have a them for Iron Man himself crying out loud!

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^Yep, it was Young who scored Spidey 3, not Debney.

Anyway, I didnt think the score for IM1 was amazing, though it did grow on me over time, but it was far better than the awful score in IM2. IM2's score didnt even have a them for Iron Man himself crying out loud!
Yeah, I think the IM2 score is part of how the IM1 score grew on us. I do remember thinking that Djawadi's score was boring and unexciting while watching Iron Man in 2008, and yet now it's something I can hear in my head whenever I think of that movie--memorability is a mark of a good score, in my opinion.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

When you watch Driving with the top down with the footage from the movie, it does add to the excitement and is memorable, certainly more so than Debney's score.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
Drizzle
Assemble Again

I wasn't particularly impressed with either score, but if any of the two were to come back, I'd prefer Djawadi. His Game of Thrones score is fantastic, but I wasn't blown away by his Iron Man score. "Driving With The Top Down" is good, but the memorable parts from the soundtracks for both films are the Tom Morello bits and the AC/DC songs (and "Iron Man", of course). I wouldn't mind Ottman, as I liked his X2 score.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Chris B
Side-Kick

I also prefered Djawadi. But I think they'll probably get someone new.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #23
Elayis

While I prefer Djawadi's score, I think that ship has sailed. Too much time has passed, and I don't think Marvel really cares about relationships with anyone, much less composers. Besides, Djawadi was a last-minute replacement when Debney was unavailable (Favreau's usual collaborator).

Debney's score was quite good, though. It took a little while (and the release of the complete score for the film), but I actually really enjoy it now. And for those saying IM2 never had a theme, go listen to the last track on the album, "I Am Iron Man", and tell me that isn't a theme. Yes, it wasn't used very often in the film (from what I recall, it was primarily only used in the fight scenes, such as Monaco and the drone battle at the end). I'm really intrigued by how Debney could further expand and evolve the sounds of Iron Man. While I'm not opposed to multiple composers (I love each of the X-Men scores more or less equally), I just want some consistency, especially in a Marvel Studios franchise.

I also see Debney as the more likely choice, seeing as how they used one of the his IM2 tracks (Sledgehammer, I believe) for practically every Con appearance for The Avengers.

However, given Marvel's track record (with Alan Silvestri being the only returning composer in the studio's history), I'm not entirely confident that he will return. Shane Black might bring on John Ottman, but I'm not sure what their working relationship was, so it might not have clicked like other filmmakers. It might've just been a paycheck for Ottman.

Then again, Favreau is still a producer on the film, so if Debney has an opening in his schedule, he just might sign on.

(By the way, for those of you wondering why Debney was credited with Spider-Man, he was a co-composer on the film, along with Deborah Lurie.)

Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #24
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Yeah, I think the IM2 score is part of how the IM1 score grew on us. I do remember thinking that Djawadi's score was boring and unexciting while watching Iron Man in 2008, and yet now it's something I can hear in my head whenever I think of that movie--memorability is a mark of a good score, in my opinion.
Thats quite possible, although I do remember it growing on me just through repeated viewings of the movie, but yeah, I prefer it hugely to Debney's score and that has possible made me appreciate it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
While I prefer Djawadi's score, I think that ship has sailed. Too much time has passed, and I don't think Marvel really cares about relationships with anyone, much less composers. Besides, Djawadi was a last-minute replacement when Debney was unavailable (Favreau's usual collaborator).

Debney's score was quite good, though. It took a little while (and the release of the complete score for the film), but I actually really enjoy it now. And for those saying IM2 never had a theme, go listen to the last track on the album, "I Am Iron Man", and tell me that isn't a theme. Yes, it wasn't used very often in the film (from what I recall, it was primarily only used in the fight scenes, such as Monaco and the drone battle at the end). I'm really intrigued by how Debney could further expand and evolve the sounds of Iron Man. While I'm not opposed to multiple composers (I love each of the X-Men scores more or less equally), I just want some consistency, especially in a Marvel Studios franchise.

I also see Debney as the more likely choice, seeing as how they used one of the his IM2 tracks (Sledgehammer, I believe) for practically every Con appearance for The Avengers.

However, given Marvel's track record (with Alan Silvestri being the only returning composer in the studio's history), I'm not entirely confident that he will return. Shane Black might bring on John Ottman, but I'm not sure what their working relationship was, so it might not have clicked like other filmmakers. It might've just been a paycheck for Ottman.

Then again, Favreau is still a producer on the film, so if Debney has an opening in his schedule, he just might sign on.

(By the way, for those of you wondering why Debney was credited with Spider-Man, he was a co-composer on the film, along with Deborah Lurie.)
Sorry but, I shouldnt have to listen to a full score on a CD to recognise the main them, it should be loud and booming throughout and whenever you whistle it or it pops into your head it should bring the exact moments it is used in the film into your head as well.

This supposed 'main theme' you are talking about is garbage and barely recognisable so give the first movies anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
I still can't get over how much I prefer Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle as Rhodes.
Same here, Howard was just so much better in this role for me, Rhodes didnt have the best writing in IM2 though to be fair.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #25
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

IM1's score was bland, obnoxious and sounded like a 12 year old wrote it. IM2 was also bland but it does has it's moments.

Someone new please, Ottman would be good.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote