The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #276
BatManFan_NYC
Tschüss - 8/18/12

Th Smile Re: Unintentionally Funny Moments in The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
It was just a sadistic moment!!! How could some people miss that??

"What a lovely lovely voice" *Gestures henchmen to pass over A DETONATOR TO BOMBS PLACED AROUND THE CITY!*

Completely serious and unintentionally funny.
what's funny to some people, I guess just isn't funny to others.
personally, I , and many in the theatre with me found the "lovely lovely voice" statement hilarious.

to each his own I guess..

BatManFan_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #277
kvz5
HBIC

Default Re: Unintentionally Funny Moments in The Dark Knight Rises

The "lovely, lovely voice" was intentionally funny IMO. Same when Bane gave the nod and said "thank you" in that other scene.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #278
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

That's the thing it's not meant to be taken seriously, someone may not find it funny that doesn't mean it isn't trying to be.

So Bane is about to blow up a stadium but just before that he is going to straight faced, completely seriously praise this young boy's voice?

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #279
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaD View Post
No, I believe someone mentioned that they hated that kid's voice or something and that it was so awful he should've been strapped to the bomb.

And was Bane actually mocking him? He said it was a lovely voice and it's not like he was trying to be funny to his henchmen. It's also safe to say that that kid was not still standing in the middle of the field when he triggered the explosions.
Well to be honest, people in the audience laughed both times I saw the movie when Bane said "what a lovely, lovely voice".

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #280
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Everyone cracked up during my opening day IMAX screening but I was the only one laughing during my second screening in a normal theater.

Felt a little embarrassed for laughing so hard the second time around too as I was sure everyone was going to respond exactly like my first showing, boy was I wrong.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #281
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
Well to be honest, people in the audience laughed both times I saw the movie when Bane said "what a lovely, lovely voice".
I thought it was funny too, but I think people are arguing about what is intentionally funny and what isn't in this movie.

In my opinion I look at scenes that aren't intended to be funny from the director's chair, like Batman's trigger explosion, compared to Bane's comment about the kid's voice, which I'm sure he wanted some people to chuckle at.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #282
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
I thought it was funny too, but I think people are arguing about what is intentionally funny and what isn't in this movie.

In my opinion I look at scenes that aren't intended to be funny from the director's chair, like Batman's trigger explosion, compared to Bane's comment about the kid's voice, which I'm sure he wanted some people to chuckle at.
Exactly.

Bane's comment on the child voice is very clearly meant to be funny.

Talia's death isn't. But it comes across as funny.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #283
batbax
Side-Kick

Yeah I think it's one of those things where because of the situation and what babes about to do.. And the fact that the kid is still on the field when bane grabs the trigger, makes it kind of not funny to some people at the time they first see it. Of course looking back now for me personally it's a lighter moment than when I first saw it, but for myself it's nothing I cracked up at. More chuckled at "wow bane is an evil bastard".

batbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #284
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Here's how I view the "lovely, lovely voice" scene.

I think the scene itself was very much written as an intentionally funny break (momentary comic relief) within the entire bleak and serious tone the upcoming scene was going to contain.

With that said I believe Bane as a character was being completely genuine when he said he thought the child had a lovely voice. It's no secret that Bane seems to have a soft spot for little kids and views their innocence as something worth protecting. No matter how twisted his outlook of the large scheme of things may be to rid the world of "decadence and corruption".

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #285
serendipity
Side-Kick

Bane's "What a lovely, lovely voice" line is clearly intentional humor, meant to make you laugh uncomfortably.

"When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?" - Oscar Wilde
serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #286
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post

I think the scene itself was very much written as an intentionally funny break (momentary comic relief) within the entire bleak and serious tone the upcoming scene was going to contain.

With that said I believe Bane as a character was being completely genuine when he said he thought the child had a lovely voice. It's no secret that Bane seems to have a soft spot for little kids and views their innocence as something worth protecting. No matter how twisted his outlook of the large scheme of things may be to rid the world of "decadence and corruption".
When I saw the Mayor's VIP lounge get blown I couldn't help but think that someone's kid was in there though...

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #287
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

I found the way he compliments the voice then gestures for the detanator sadistically funny. It raised a few chuckles at my screen. It's kind of the same as Joker's magic trick. The way The Joker reacts makes it funny but in the end he has just killed someone in a very brutal way.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #288
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post

I agree. Seeing it the second time, and knowing how he was the one who protected Talia, you know there's some fraction of a heart in there. Wasn't going to change what he was about to do, but there was a faint trace of the man he was at that moment.

And it was meant to be funny as well. The guy was just about to blow the stadium to hell, after all.

It got some laughs when I saw it last night.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #289
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
When I saw the Mayor's VIP lounge get blown I couldn't help but think that someone's kid was in there though...
Yeah in retrospect the act itself is incredibly cruel but I think that's exactly what that moment of comic relief is supposed to do. Ease off the load of the despicably heinous act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I agree. Seeing it the second time, and knowing how he was the one who protected Talia, you know there's some fraction of a heart in there. Wasn't going to change what he was about to do, but there was a faint trace of the man he was at that moment.

And it was meant to be funny as well. The guy was just about to blow the stadium to hell, after all.

It got some laughs when I saw it last night.
Exactly.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #290
Pennyworth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Ferny Branka lmao first time watching it i was like wtflol. If i ever order one im gonna do my best Micheal Caine impersonation.
I just love listening to My Cocaine talk...Ferny Branka gets me every time

Pennyworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #291
ZOMBIE
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
That's the thing it's not meant to be taken seriously, someone may not find it funny that doesn't mean it isn't trying to be.

So Bane is about to blow up a stadium but just before that he is going to straight faced, completely seriously praise this young boy's voice?
It could show hes unstable, one minute saying this and the next minute being a manic murderer again.

ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #292
3-D
Side-Kick

batbax,

Are you seriously going to try and claim that there aren't ANY unintentionally funny moments in the whole movie?

3-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #293
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D View Post
batbax,

Are you seriously going to try and claim that there aren't ANY unintentionally funny moments in the whole movie?
That's HARDLY what I was claiming and I don't know where you got the idea from. The first few pages of this thread there are things that are legitimately unintentionally funny. I was simply pointing out that as of late in this thread, some of the things people find funny are pretty huge stretches. And I was hardly the only one who was pointing this out,so I'm not quite sure why your singling me out.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #294
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
That's HARDLY what I was claiming and I don't know where you got the idea from. The first few pages of this thread there are things that are legitimately unintentionally funny. I was simply pointing out that as of late in this thread, some of the things people find funny are pretty huge stretches. And I was hardly the only one who was pointing this out,so I'm not quite sure why your singling me out.
I completely agree with this.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #295
UnknowUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
So popular it even has a Tumblr account:

http://peopledyinglikemarioncotillard.tumblr.com/

Now imagine all the GIF sets once the DVD comes out.
Where's the +rep button?!

UnknowUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #296
The Guard
Side-Kick

I'm pretty sure that "What a lovely voice" was a subtle "F*** you" to that kid and his handlers.

That kid was awful for someone with so much talent. He was part of some choir from overseas, and they'd flown him in, and he could barely sing The Star Spangled Banner. Nolan seemed pretty frustrated with him and his vocal coach after about 40 takes, and the crowd was booing him in between takes, which probably didn't help, but still...It took several hours of shooting, and I think they still barely got what they needed.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #297
Nathan

I thought the kid sucked. But wow, seriously? Didn't know it took that much work.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #298
batbax
Side-Kick

The crowd was booing him between takes? Yeesh that's rough lol.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #299
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

They could have got any kid and then dubbed his voice....

What makes you think Nolan was frustrated? The kid was freakin young I'd be petrified and the crowd booing would make it ten times worse.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #300
The Guard
Side-Kick

What makes me think Nolan was frustrated was that as I recall, he was walking around looking frustrated.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote