The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #576
Fudgie
Banned User

Default Re: Unintentionally Funny Moments in The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Foley's awkward death pose, it's like he fell asleep.
Ahahaha he did look stupid. Bad death scene for a bad character.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #577
MrLogan13

According to Tom Hard in the special features, he combines Richard Burton with some hints of a Latin accent (not necessarily Spanish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
What about Hardy's voice makes you think he was even trying to have a Spanish accent?

I've heard the voice being described as everything from a weird German accent to a bad Sean Connery impression. The fact that you can't place it is one of its qualities that I absolutely love.

MrLogan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #578
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

"ra's al ghul's Destiny" makes me smile, just the way bane says it

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #579
MrLogan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Every time I've seen it with an audience it elicits an uncomfortable chuckle.
Even if it wasn't supposed to be funny, it was an awkward and awkwardly placed moment.
It's meant to break the tension after an emotionally intense scene. It works to do that pretty well.

MrLogan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #580
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLogan13 View Post
According to Tom Hard in the special features, he combines Richard Burton with some hints of a Latin accent (not necessarily Spanish).
As a matter of fact because I'm bilingual and I speak Spanish I always like the hear the Spanish dub version of movies to see how the voice actor mimics the original actor's performance.

And watching it in Spanish even the voice actor was in a way mimicking Hardy's at times hysterical voice which I thought was clever and pretty ballsy at the same time.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #581
Fudgie
Banned User

He sounded like Sean Connery.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #582
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
He sounded like Sean Connery.
Which is still cooler than most of us.

Batman jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #583
JaD
Thriller Night

I started thinking lately, I know this scene is mocked like crazy and quite frankly, it is pretty ridiculous and cringeworthy, "Where's the trigger!!!"

But I'm just wondering, is there any real reason why Batman would keep the 'voice' in a moment like that? He's done playing games and yelling at the top of his lungs. Does it really call for him to mask his voice still? Bane already knows who he is and all that as well. In my opinion, if he wasn't masking his voice in that moment the urgency and desperation would have come off even better than the "You'd never give-it to-an ord-nary city-shin!".

I don't know, instead of laughing at that scene now, I just don't know how they kept that in the movie like that, it's so, incredibly ridiculous.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #584
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Honestly, I just think he was furious with Bane for everything he had done. Batman has always been a way for Bruce to channel his anger, and in that moment Gotham was minutes away from going up in a mushroom cloud. The fury and dominance over Bane in that moment was cathartic, I thought. Reminded me of when he was screaming "WHERE ARE THEY?!" at the Joker.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #585
vanson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Watching it again on Bluray it's just so painfully funny watching Bane's henchman Barsad just sort of faking being shot at when he's going into the Tumbler with Tala, it's like the actor was thinking "Oops that's my cue to fall down, right?"
i know what you mean but in reality its probably more realistic than you think. i watched a lot of documentaries made from helmet cameras on soldiers from iraq. there you see sometimes people being hit by a bullet and thats exactly how it looks like. they just fall aside or something unspectacual like that.

vanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #586
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman jr. View Post
Which is still cooler than most of us.
We ain't villains millions of people are paying to see.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #587
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaD View Post
I started thinking lately, I know this scene is mocked like crazy and quite frankly, it is pretty ridiculous and cringeworthy, "Where's the trigger!!!"

But I'm just wondering, is there any real reason why Batman would keep the 'voice' in a moment like that? He's done playing games and yelling at the top of his lungs. Does it really call for him to mask his voice still? Bane already knows who he is and all that as well. In my opinion, if he wasn't masking his voice in that moment the urgency and desperation would have come off even better than the "You'd never give-it to-an ord-nary city-shin!".

I don't know, instead of laughing at that scene now, I just don't know how they kept that in the movie like that, it's so, incredibly ridiculous.
Batman is a way to channel Bruce's anger among many things. When he's in the suit, 1 point of it is for a disguise, and the other point is that he becomes this other character. It's why he talks to Lucius towards the end of TDK with the voice, and why he talks to Catwoman with the voice as well (when he gives her the bat-pod). It's a mental switch that goes off. He only does this with Fox and Selina in those situations because he's about to go off and kick some ass. He's in that "mode". When he's kicking Banes ass, Talia is right there with them. And at that point he still thinks she's just "Miranda" who doesnt know anything about the Bruce/Bat connection. AND he's royally pissed off. Again...the anger coming through like when he's beating the **** out of Joker in the interrogation room.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #588
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Honestly, I just think he was furious with Bane for everything he had done. Batman has always been a way for Bruce to channel his anger, and in that moment Gotham was minutes away from going up in a mushroom cloud. The fury and dominance over Bane in that moment was cathartic, I thought. Reminded me of when he was screaming "WHERE ARE THEY?!" at the Joker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Batman is a way to channel Bruce's anger among many things. When he's in the suit, 1 point of it is for a disguise, and the other point is that he becomes this other character. It's why he talks to Lucius towards the end of TDK with the voice, and why he talks to Catwoman with the voice as well (when he gives her the bat-pod). It's a mental switch that goes off. He only does this with Fox and Selina in those situations because he's about to go off and kick some ass. He's in that "mode". When he's kicking Banes ass, Talia is right there with them. And at that point he still thinks she's just "Miranda" who doesnt know anything about the Bruce/Bat connection. AND he's royally pissed off. Again...the anger coming through like when he's beating the **** out of Joker in the interrogation room.
These. Honestly, I've always thought the use of the voice in situations where it's not actually necessary was Nolan and Co.'s way of showing us that Batman is a bit of a loon.

Regarding the topic at hand, I've always found Blake's expression immediately after Foley says 'Then he's as dumb as he dresses' to be funny. I don't know exactly why, I think it's because it just comes of as a sort of 'If you say so, man' and he looks like he's about to burst into laughter in that split-second shot.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #589
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

His voice sounded as it should perfectly for the type of situation he was in. Oh yeah hes going to be real calm when Gotham is minutes from blowin up and killing thousands of innocent citizens. Who would be calm in that situation and after all that?

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #590
Fudgie
Banned User

Heh yeah cos every time ya heard Kevin Conroy shout as Batman people found it funny as hell. Not.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #591
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Heh yeah cos every time ya heard Kevin Conroy shout as Batman people found it funny as hell. Not.
Different interpretations, different actors.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #592
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
I didn't know this was a Christian Bale vs Kevin Conroy thread. Im not really concerned with what Conroy sounded like we're talking about TDKR not BTAS. Conroy chose the voice he wanted to use for the character in the world they created same as Bale did for Nolans world. Two completely different interpretations and almost not even comparable.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #593
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Then why does he use it when nobody's around when he says "So that's what that feels like"?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #594
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
Regarding the topic at hand, I've always found Blake's expression immediately after Foley says 'Then he's as dumb as he dresses' to be funny. I don't know exactly why, I think it's because it just comes of as a sort of 'If you say so, man' and he looks like he's about to burst into laughter in that split-second shot.
Ha. Love that dialogue between the two.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #595
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

If people couldn't get over his voice in BB or especially TDK they would never have gotten over it anyways.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #596
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
His voice sounded as it should perfectly for the type of situation he was in. Oh yeah hes going to be real calm when Gotham is minutes from blowin up and killing thousands of innocent citizens. Who would be calm in that situation and after all that?
It's not a matter of Bat-Bale sounding calm... It's a matter of him sounding ridiculous. EVERY time I have seen that scene, I have had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. Even during the midnight premiere! They should have found a way to keep the voice consistent, but tone it down there. I should not be chuckling during (what could be seen as) the climax of the entire trilogy.

EDIT: And just as a frame of reference, I enjoy the countless parodies of the Bat-Bale voice, but I have had virtually ZERO problems with it prior to the scene in question.

CoolCadaver49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #597
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Then why does he use it when nobody's around when he says "So that's what that feels like"?

He talks with the growl when he has the cowl on. Bale has been pretty consistent about that. When he puts that thing over his head, he is "Batman" and will use the Batman voice no matter who the heck he's talking to.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #598
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
He talks with the growl when he has the cowl on. Bale has been pretty consistent about that. When he puts that thing over his head, he is "Batman" and will use the Batman voice no matter who the heck he's talking to.
The moments when Bale Bat roars to Flass, Maroni, Joker and Bane are the best. How's this for a tagline for Rises?

No Alfred. No money. No cartilage. Just tell him where the trigger is.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2

Last edited by AnneFan; 12-11-2012 at 01:33 AM.
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #599
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post

Because he's a goddamn loon in the suit.

Bale has often talked in interviews regarding his interpretation of the character, that Batman is practically Bruce Wayne's method of venting all of his anger and I would assume, by extension, the not so sane side of his character.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #600
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
It's not a matter of Bat-Bale sounding calm... It's a matter of him sounding ridiculous. EVERY time I have seen that scene, I have had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. Even during the midnight premiere! They should have found a way to keep the voice consistent, but tone it down there. I should not be chuckling during (what could be seen as) the climax of the entire trilogy.

EDIT: And just as a frame of reference, I enjoy the countless parodies of the Bat-Bale voice, but I have had virtually ZERO problems with it prior to the scene in question.
I feel the exact same. I defended the Bat voice in TDK, aside from a couple of times where it went really OTT. But that 'where's the trigger' scene is the worst it has ever sounded. Bar none. Maybe it's because Batman kept shouting for so long, but it's just comically bad.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote