The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: When will the fans turn on TDK Trilogy in Mass?
When a reboot or JL film is announced 32 39.51%
When we get a poster/stills of the reboot/JL film 11 13.58%
The new Trailer(s) 20 24.69%
Week of Release 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #526
georgec
Not a hero

Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Batman Returns is probably the most underappreciated superhero/comic movie out there. It's funny, it's weird, and it's just flat out entertaining.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #527
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I love Returns, always have, but I get why some don't like it. I don't care that it's clearly on a sound stage or that Selina Kyle is a nut job, I think it's a good movie. Maybe not a great Batman movie but still a good movie.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #528
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Can't say I'm a Returns fan but to each their own.

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #529
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I enjoy Batman Returns as a dark fairy tale take on the Batman mythos. Sure, there are tons of things I find "wrong" with it now from a fan perspective with specific ideas about how I like my Batman, but it's the first Batman movie I remember anticipating, the first Batman movie I saw in theaters, etc. I had the action figures, I had the Happy Meal toys, I had the cups, I even had Returns bedsheets lol. So I do have a lot of nostalgia for it as it's really the thing that got me started on Batman.

It's a pretty depressing movie though with some disturbing imagery.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #530
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I enjoy Batman Returns as a dark fairy tale take on the Batman mythos. Sure, there are tons of things I find "wrong" with it now from a fan perspective with specific ideas about how I like my Batman, but it's the first Batman movie I remember anticipating, the first Batman movie I saw in theaters, etc. I had the action figures, I had the Happy Meal toys, I had the cups, I even had Returns bedsheets lol. So I do have a lot of nostalgia for it as it's really the thing that got me started on Batman.

It's a pretty depressing movie though with some disturbing imagery.
You sound just like me. I remember my mother taking me to see Batman Returns, then going to McDonald's afterwards to get a Happy Meal with the toys. Marketing works.

I like the darker, fantasy elements of Batman Returns. It's one take on the character and the universe. Hate Burton some fans must, the guy had a pretty cool take on Batman.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #531
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Batman Returns is probably the most underappreciated superhero/comic movie out there. It's funny, it's weird, and it's just flat out entertaining.
Agree. My only quibble with it is the penguins with rocket launchers and a few of the one liners. Other than that, very good movie and definitely underrated. I love the parallels between Bruce and the three villains. I feel like TDKR will be Nolan's Batman Returns in coming years. Hated on by some people but loved by others and overall underrated compared to its predecessor.

Last edited by redfirebird2008; 03-24-2013 at 11:37 AM.
redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #532
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
I feel like TDKR will be Nolan's Batman Returns in coming years. Hated on by some people but loved by others and overall underrated compared to its predecessor.
Underrated? TDKR is SUPER-overrated. Especially, in comparison to it's predecessor. I think, that Returns is reviewed and scored pretty fairly. Despite my love for that movie, my favorite Batman movie along with The Dark Knight, it has some flaws.

TDKR is Nolan's Batman & Robin. It does have Robin, Bane, messy screenplay, many goofy moments, terrible performances from OSCAR-WINNING actors (I had to bring this up, because some people always point that Oscar-winning actors don't have bad roles and performances) and so on... Yet manages to entertain.

I'd like to specify, that I don't say that TDKR as bad as B&R, it's bad for a Nolan movie.

Last edited by OutOfBoose; 03-24-2013 at 01:03 PM.
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #533
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
It is a very good movie. However, I get why some critics dislike it because it is so overly decadent and really does not have much of a plot (things just kind of happen). Fans who dislike it are probably more offended how it is a Tim Burton movie that just happens to have Batman characters in it (kind of).

Still, I can appreciate it for those reasons. It is a beautiful melancholy fairy tale and one of the most artsy superhero movies ever made without feeling pretentious (coughHulkcough). I enjoy all the overt expressionism in it, the tone, the music, it is just a trip.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #534
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Underrated? TDKR is SUPER-overrated. Especially, in comparison to it's predecessor. I think, that Returns is reviewed and scored pretty fairly. Despite my love for that movie, my favorite Batman movie along with The Dark Knight, it has some flaws.

TDKR is Nolan's Batman & Robin. It does have Robin, Bane, messy screenplay, many goofy moments, terrible performances from OSCAR-WINNING actors (I had to bring this up, because some people always point that Oscar-winning actors don't have bad roles and performances) and so on... Yet manages to entertain.

I'd like to specify, that I don't say that TDKR as bad as B&R, it's bad for a Nolan movie.

Hating, TDKR is fine but calling it Batman & Robin?! I've seen some inane things on this board but that may take the taco....

Also, one bad death scene does not mean Cotillard's entire performance is awful. Unless you are referring to Bale, Hathaway, Cain, Freeman or one of the other Oscar winners in the movie.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #535
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

Now even I think that that is a ridiculous stretch. TDKR is nowhere near B&R even for a Nolan movie.

I do think TDKR is "bad" but not bad in the same way how stuff like Batman & Robin and Bay's Transformers movies. When I say it is "bad", I mean that it is bad going by the standard set by the first 2 movies and by the standard that TDKR is trying to set for itself. But as just a movie, it is an alright movie.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #536
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well then, I'll just say I completely disagree with you. I consider TDK one of the most overrated movies ever made. BB and TDKR both work better for me.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #537
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post

Hating, TDKR is fine but calling it Batman & Robin?! I've seen some inane things on this board but that may take the taco....

Also, one bad death scene does not mean Cotillard's entire performance is awful. Unless you are referring to Bale, Hathaway, Cain, Freeman or one of the other Oscar winners in the movie.
I don't hate TDKR. And read the last line from my previous post. I love all Batman movies for various reasons. Including BF and B&R. But that doesn't mean they're great movies. Just like TDKR.

Yes, I agree that not entire performances were awful, I think, it was mostly director's fault. Who wasn't able to pull out the right emotions from the actors. That's why some critical and dramatic scenes became a comedy.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #538
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Now even I think that that is a ridiculous stretch. TDKR is nowhere near B&R even for a Nolan movie.

I do think TDKR is "bad" but not bad in the same way how stuff like Batman & Robin and Bay's Transformers movies. When I say it is "bad", I mean that it is bad going by the standard set by the first 2 movies and by the standard that TDKR is trying to set for itself. But as just a movie, it is an alright movie.
Alright. You basicly elaborated what I said. I'll repeat it again: "I'd like to specify, that I don't say that TDKR as bad as B&R, it's bad for a Nolan movie."

Old 03-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #539
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Well then, I'll just say I completely disagree with you. I consider TDK one of the most overrated movies ever made. BB and TDKR both work better for me.
Key phrase here: you consider. It's your opinion. My opinion that BR is the best. But it's my opinion too. But there is an objective reality. Any movie can be judged objectively. Regardless if any of us likes the movie or not.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #540
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Key phrase here: you consider. It's your opinion. My opinion that BR is the best. But it's my opinion too. But there is an objective reality. Any movie can be judged objectively. Regardless if any of us likes the movie or not.
Of course it's just an opinion. I made that pretty clear in my post.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #541
Anno_Domini
Banned User

TDKR over-rated? How on Earth could you think of that when all you hear on the TDKR boards are polarizing opinions?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #542
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

I could see how someone would consider it overrated in terms of the general audience. The GA and critics spoke quite highly of TDKR. However, it's most definitely not overrated in the fan-circles.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #543
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Lol, then that's just sad if fanboys view it as overrated just because the GA and critics enjoyed it.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #544
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
TDKR over-rated? How on Earth could you think of that when all you hear on the TDKR boards are polarizing opinions?
That is only within the fanbase. To the critics and general public, there aren't a lot of polarizing opinions compared to the ones on the TDKR boards. TDKR is just as good as TDK or even better most of them.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #545
Tequilla
Side-Kick

At least you got it all in here.

Overrated and the majority dislikes it.

Awesome !

Outside of awareness , the whole concept of over or underrated is kinda silly .

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #546
milost
Banned User

Quote:
That is only within the fanbase. To the critics and general public, there aren't a lot of polarizing opinions compared to the ones on the TDKR boards. TDKR is just as good as TDK or even better most of them.

What about other social circles where there's a high amount criticism and polarizing views on it? Places we don't frequent?

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #547
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
General audience and critical consensus seems to be TDK > TDKR > BB. I am in the vast minority that goes BB > TDKR > TDK. But I don't mind being in that minority because at least the first and third movies focused on the title character.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #548
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

Sometimes I prefer the GA than fanboys...lol.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #549
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
General audience and critical consensus seems to be TDK > TDKR > BB. .
I would say the vast majority of people (whoever they are , fans , not , critics , etc) feel like that.

I dont . But its easy to recognize the pattern everywhere.

(although here i think critics received rises a little better than tdk)

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #550
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post

Sometimes I prefer the GA than fanboys...lol.
Lol, I enjoy talking to my non-fanboy friends about TDKR. They have no idea there's any sort of fan backlash and are still raving about it. I let them stay in their little bubble of joy .

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote