The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: When will the fans turn on TDK Trilogy in Mass?
When a reboot or JL film is announced 32 39.51%
When we get a poster/stills of the reboot/JL film 11 13.58%
The new Trailer(s) 20 24.69%
Week of Release 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #801
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

I 've always loved Batman Begins and loathed The Dark Knight. So I didn't bother with Rises. Nothing will change for me except the numbers for and against. People who loved it will still love it. Others will see its flaws more and it will bother them or not. Folks who just dislike it for no longer being the next best thing shouldn't even count bit unfortunately they seem legion.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #802
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Yep. I would have been fine with the "I recognized that look on your face" being part of the reason he found out who Bruce was, but not that alone. It just didn't ring true to me.
Ditto. Even if it had just sparked his interest in Bruce as being something more than he seems. But not the entire basis for knowing he's Batman.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #803
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Ditto. Even if it had just sparked his interest in Bruce as being something more than he seems. But not the entire basis for knowing he's Batman.
AGREED. I would have loved to see Blake work with Bruce to uncover Bane and as the two work together Bruce see Blake begin to be more in tuned with Bruce's and Batman's philosophy. Blake needed to EARN the Bat and I personally don't feel like he did in the film.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #804
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:
No. A child has multiple disadvantages. First off, they're just smaller. A full grown person can much more easily make a longer jump because of the simple fact that their legs are longer. Secondly, an adult has much more muscle, which leads to more power to really jettison yourself across a distance. Look at athletes who are great jumpers. They're usually heavy with muscle, because they need that muscle to generate good jumping power.

So there's no way a little kid who's grown up in a pit would be able to make a jump that full grown men couldn't.
Adrenaline

justpassinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #805
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
I 've always loved Batman Begins and loathed The Dark Knight. So I didn't bother with Rises. Nothing will change for me except the numbers for and against. People who loved it will still love it. Others will see its flaws more and it will bother them or not. Folks who just dislike it for no longer being the next best thing shouldn't even count bit unfortunately they seem legion.
Certainly can imagine why - BB is straightforward and accessible, TDK frantic, kind of choppy and slightly surreal (love it for that reason among others, but yea). Did the sequel have to be this way? Not really.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #806
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
No, see...the point is, and I've said it over and over again, is that the people who are have problems with the scene are ASSUMING that Blake has no common sense. Assuming that he might not have put two and two together about how Bruce was gone for 7 years and showed up back in Gotham right around the first appearance of the Batman. Assuming that he wouldn't realize that Batman needed a lot of money to be able to do what he does. Assuming that a guy who proved himself to be a good detective in this film wouldn't have used some rationale to back up his hunch...like detectives do. To me these are counterintuitive assumptions to make. It seems unavoidable that is mind would reach all of those conclusions just based on the surface evidence.

So I didn't need to hear it. That's not what the scene was about. Could they have added a line or two like that? Sure. But it wouldn't have made the scene better or worse for me, just added to its length.

And also, yes. Alfred burned the letter. There was never any question about it.
Well, after writing this post, you then went to the other thread and said something to the effect of me winning the universe and all your opinions on this movie no longer being valid... so I'll just skip this one

Oh, and, I didn't say add to its length, I said replace - it was already long enough, not least due to having to made this absurdity feel as believable as possible

Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #807
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
^^I'm not going to bother getting involved but Alfred did burn the letter:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Skip to the Alfred bit. He lights the edges on fire and you can see flames moving up the letter.
No you don't - the flames appearing on the upper edge are due to him spinning the letter

Still could've stopped the flames from spreading at the last second!!

PS: Btw, watching this scene without the impact of what came before, it really feels noticeably corny doesn't it. Batman's now gonna keep his mouth open until the very last second of the next movie...

Old 08-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #808
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

^^ What I mean is you can see the flame reach further up the paper just before he turns it. I don't think anyone really thought he was going to just go "oh, wait, no." and just stomp it out suddenly.

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #809
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

To answer the forum question, no as Nolan did NOT make a third entery as bad as Spider-Man 3.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I'll bet you 40% of DC's film slate either wont be released or pushed back!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #810
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotland5finest View Post
I'll say this much at least the ending is somewhat on point to the whole Batman genre. Showing that there will be a Batman to continue to protect the city. To make the kids name Robin was just idiotic. What they should have done was never mentioned his name at all throughout the movie then at the end have that lady say "okay Mr Grayson" or be like "This was left for you Richard" then he would say "I prefer Dick" something like that would have been cool.
I prefer Dick. Really ? Final words of Blake in the movie would be , i prefer dick ? I can already imagine the reactions.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #811
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
No. A child has multiple disadvantages. First off, they're just smaller. A full grown person can much more easily make a longer jump because of the simple fact that their legs are longer. Secondly, an adult has much more muscle, which leads to more power to really jettison yourself across a distance. Look at athletes who are great jumpers. They're usually heavy with muscle, because they need that muscle to generate good jumping power.

So there's no way a little kid who's grown up in a pit would be able to make a jump that full grown men couldn't.
Although what you wrote obviously makes sense , i dont think anatomy and physiology were the concerns regarding the little girl's ability to escape the pit. It's the notion of her doing that that's important. Not the process.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #812
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham's knight View Post
^^ what i mean is you can see the flame reach further up the paper just before he turns it. I don't think anyone really thought he was going to just go "oh, wait, no." and just stomp it out suddenly.
..but THE TOP's STILL SPINNING!!1

Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #813
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Talia was better than Venom even if both felt shoe horned at the end.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I'll bet you 40% of DC's film slate either wont be released or pushed back!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #814
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Although what you wrote obviously makes sense , i dont think anatomy and physiology were the concerns regarding the little girl's ability to escape the pit. It's the notion of her doing that that's important. Not the process.
Yeah, like I said, I understood the visual metaphor they were creating. But the fact of the matter is, when they go out of there way to make this Superhero world feel a bit more grounded (and I say a bit, because it still had obviously unrealistic aspects) audiences come to expect that.

And showing a little girl making who has grown up in a pit her whole life make a jump that full grown men couldn't was just silly. But it is what it is.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #815
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, like I said, I understood the visual metaphor they were creating. But the fact of the matter is, when they go out of there way to make this Superhero world feel a bit more grounded (and I say a bit, because it still had obviously unrealistic aspects) audiences come to expect that.

And showing a little girl making who has grown up in a pit her whole life make a jump that full grown men couldn't was just silly. But it is what it is.
From a cult of ninjas that destroy city's , to a billionaire kid who see his parents getting killed and resorts to vigilantism to fight his anger dressing himself as a bat every night , the microwave water vaporizer , the camouflage tumbler , the terrorist who looks like a clown and presents itself with the most insane detailed plans , a sonar type space cartography , and a man who gets is face complete scarred but ends up being alive and well....i don't think its the girl jumping that really breaks that grounded world.

I always saw the trilogy has a fantastical universe that resorts to a big sense of practicability.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #816
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:

I already said A-D-R-E-N-A-L-I-N-E, srsly

Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #817
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
From a cult of ninjas that destroy city's , to a billionaire kid who see his parents getting killed and resorts to vigilantism to fight his anger dressing himself as a bat every night , the microwave water vaporizer , the camouflage tumbler , the terrorist who looks like a clown and presents itself with the most insane detailed plans , a sonar type space cartography , and a man who gets is face complete scarred but ends up being alive and well....i don't think its the girl jumping that really breaks that grounded world.

I always saw the trilogy has a fantastical universe that resorts to a big sense of practicability.
Oh I agree, it's not realistic, but it goes out of its way to present grounded moments, such as Bruce struggling to fight off dogs.

Since this was such a big moment in the story, I just thought it was a little eye roll worthy that you just needed fear to really make the jump.

And justpassinby, adrenaline can only do so much. Every prisoner who made that climb would have had their adrenaline going. Again, you scare the crap out of a ten year old, it doesn't magically make them world class long jumpers.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #818
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

As realistic as a CB film can get.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #819
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
As realistic as a CB film can get.
Kick-Ass is the most realistic superhero film to date.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #820
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
That was a superhero film?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #821
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Yep.

And minus Dr. Manhattan, I would count Watchmen as more realistic than BB/TDK/TDKR as well.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #822
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
I might need to see it a second time, but I remember I was thinking that as watching the movie and then Hit-Girl entered doing this absolutely unbelievable (although cool) stuff and all sense of realism was thrown out of the window.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #823
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Every prisoner who made that climb would have had their adrenaline going.
This one had more

Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #824
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep.

And minus Dr. Manhattan, I would count Watchmen as more realistic than BB/TDK/TDKR as well.
In a way, the X-Men movies may also be more grounded now that I think about it - all the outrageous elements are "sealed in the magic bean can", so to speak, and once you get past the everyone's-got-a-cool-nickname gimmick (yea, rejecting the square society that cast them out... how about only some of them did that? not saying it's a flaw, just saying), what do you see?
No grand speeches at every corner, no "characters carrying their respective theme on their forehead" as you aptly put, no psychological externalizations or "symbols", no Scrubs montages at the end - just plain old adventurous struggles

Imo, while Nolan's were definitely quite grounded in their physicality and justifying the set pieces, its general storytelling style is totally hovering meters above the ground right from the very start. Not the many miles of Burton, but still...
And ironically, this is mainly due to its relentless efforts to justify its premise in a real world context.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #825
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
What about Unbreakable?

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote