The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #176
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Christopher Eccleston is playing Malekith

Who cares, people *****ed about Heimdall being black and THOR still grossed nearly half a billion.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #177
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Heimdall in the movie had a way cooler look than IMO the comics Heimdall. I'm glad Idris Elba was Heimdall.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #178
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Heimdall in the movie had a way cooler look than IMO the comics Heimdall. I'm glad Idris Elba was Heimdall.
Well I still dig the costume from the comics over the one we got in the film ....

This to me is just pure badass .....

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #179
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Well I still dig the costume from the comics over the one we got in the film ....

Woah, that is indeed a sweet costume!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #180
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

In terms of character yeah, movie heimdal.

But physical appearance comic>MCU

Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #181
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:

Yeah that is my favorite Heimdall comstume, but it's not like he always looks that cool in the comics.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #182
Ultra Ham
Side-Kick

Now correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't Heimdall supposed to be Sif's brother?

Ultra Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #183
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Ham View Post
Now correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't Heimdall supposed to be Sif's brother?
In the comics yes, in the MCU no.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #184
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

So someone specifically said that they weren't in MCU?

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #185
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

No but c'mon man, does it really have to be said?

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #186
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Is this a "Heimdall is black" discussion again? Come on...

I have to say three things about that:

1. Idris Elba did a great job.
2. When Christopher Lambert played Raiden (a Japanese god) in Mortal Kombat, nobody complained about a white guy playing a far eastern deity. That makes the Heimdall discussion look a little bit strange.
3. But of course, it is normal that many comic fans want the actor to look like the character from the comics. Many people complained that Jennifer Garner didn't have black hair like Elektra has in the comics. And imagine a movie where Black Widow or Jean Greay aren't redheads... so, to sum it up, it is okay for me that people would like to recognize their favorite comic character in a movie and don't want to get the feeling that he or she is someone completely different. However, only very few people would deny that Michael Duncan Clarke was a great Kingpin. Some changes work, others don't.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #187
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

IH I think it's not complaining from us, it's OTHERS complaining.
Either way it doesn't bother me if the actor can ACT like Idris.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #188
elizah72
Side-Kick

Oh, my well... any possibility we can just get back to talking about Christopher as Malekith since that's the name for the thread? I'm sure the makeup will be amazing, and he's got a face that I think really works for the character.

I asked this elsewhere but didnt get much response, so maybe some of you have ideas, they use the word "vengeful" to describe Malekith in the synopsis, that would indicate that he wants to get back as someone for something and not just out for power and killing. What and who do you suppose he could be vengeful towards? Anything in the comics that might indicate that?

I also see that he was involved with a storyline where he kidnapped Thor's then girl, Lorelei. Makes me wonder if Jane or Sif will be kidnapped for a similar storyline. It would be a believable way to get Jane into the other worlds.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #189
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
I asked this elsewhere but didnt get much response, so maybe some of you have ideas, they use the word "vengeful" to describe Malekith in the synopsis, that would indicate that he wants to get back as someone for something and not just out for power and killing. What and who do you suppose he could be vengeful towards? Anything in the comics that might indicate that?

I also see that he was involved with a storyline where he kidnapped Thor's then girl, Lorelei. Makes me wonder if Jane or Sif will be kidnapped for a similar storyline. It would be a believable way to get Jane into the other worlds.
Lorelei wasn't actually Thor's girl (not then, and I believe not ever). Loki and Lorelei had conspired to give Thor a love potion so that he would fall for her. Then Malekith kidnapped her, which lured Thor down to Svartalfheim to face Algrim, who of course became Kurse.

I really hope they do not use either Jane or Sif as the McGuffin to get Thor to the Algrim fight. First, it's not really an analogy, since the attraction Thor had for Lorelei in the books was not sincere. (The movie does not show Thor to be attracted to Sif, but he sincerely considers her a good friend). I suppose you could have Loki give a potion to have Thor be attracted to Sif just to cause mischief, but I feel that's a cheesy angle. Also, something like that doesn't do justice to Sif's character.

Second, reducing either Jane or Sif to a McGuffin really isn't fair to either character. (Full disclosure: my hope is that Jane remains Thor's love interest, and that additionally Jane is able to make a contribution to the story beyond being Thor's love interest).

I think "vengeful" is the McGuffin. I'm not aware of Malekith in particular or the Dark Elves in general wanting to seek revenge on Asgard. (I did see your other request, but thought I would sit on the sidelines and let someone else answer.) They may invent a grievance for the film so that Malekith would be motivated to attack Asgard, leading to a reason for Thor to travel to Svartalfheim (via Stonehenge??) and then fight Algrim.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #190
elizah72
Side-Kick

Oh, I know there was a potion involved with Lorelei, sorry I worded wrong there I guess. I doubt they'd have a potion involved, just Thor trying to save someone he cares about from Malekith and Kurse since that was what happened (sort of) in the comic story. Although they dont usually draw so closely from the comic book storylines, it would lose all the surprise and suspense if they did since people would have already read that story! They may use some elements/themes from past stories though. I do agree having Loki or someone use a potion like that in the film would seem cheesy, especially when he already knows of Jane as someone Thor is interested in, who is vulnerable. Could be Malekith is looking to work with Loki to get his vengeance, and Loki spills the beans about Jane in the hopes Malekith will help him escape his punishment.

I think "vengeful" could be what leads him to kidnapping whoever (Jane, Sif, Frigga, Loki) in order to get at Thor, if Thor or Odin is who he is feeling vengeful towards. Vengeful is Malekith's motivation, not the plot that he uses to get that vengeance. My feeling is probably vengeful towards Thor, and that is why he does whatever he does, to get back at Thor. (although could easily be Odin again)

On Jane as Thor's love interest, well, *sigh* I dont want to get people mad, but here I go (Sorry!) I really feel like she's served her purpose, making Thor fall in love with Earth and mortals. I mean can you really see them together when she's 80 and he's still young? I can't see this relationship going into happily ever after territory, not at all. And that may be a big part of whatever personal struggles Thor has to deal with. Realizing that being in a relationship with Jane puts her in an insane amount of danger since she is mortal, and it may be best to let her live her mortal life, than to cling to an idea of one with him that is doomed from the start. That's not going to change unless they add some cheesy thing like Odin makes her an Asgardian (a tiny one at that!) or Thor chooses to become a mortal and be with Jane (which would then put an end to the Thor movies and his involvement with Avengers). I do think done right, her dying could be very poignant and important to Thor's character motivation in future films. Sort of make him that much more determined to save Earth, for Jane. And perhaps he has trouble finding love again after that, because he is now afraid that anyone he falls for will be in grave danger all the time as well. Honestly, I'd rather see him develop a relationship with Sif, and concentrate the Thor films more on the other worlds, and then have him return to Earth more when the Avengers films take place. JMO. Again, sorry Thor-Jane fans, dont mean to bash.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #191
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think "vengeful" could be what leads him to kidnapping whoever (Jane, Sif, Frigga, Loki) in order to get at Thor, if Thor or Odin is who he is feeling vengeful towards. Vengeful is Malekith's motivation, not the plot that he uses to get that vengeance.
You're right. I guess to speak more precisely, I think it may be that the McGuffin that gets Thor to the Algrim fight is connected to Malekith's quest for vengence, rather than an old-fashioned damsel-in-distress story.

Quote:
On Jane as Thor's love interest, <deleted>, dont mean to bash.
No offense taken. It doesn't bother me that you have a different view (and you'll find plenty of supporters for your view around here).

I have to run, and I'm still considering the stuff you said in the part that I deleted. But I encourage anyone who wants to reply to this topic (about Jane as Thor's love interest) to place such a reply in the Jane Foster thread, instead of here.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #192
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'd like to see Malekith transform himself into back mist, it would make him come across as more genuinely creepy than any MCU villain.

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 10-19-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #193
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'd like to see Malekith transforms himself into back mist, it would make him come across as more genuinely creepy than any MCU villain.
Yeah, that does sound creepy.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #194
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

That would be really cool.

I'll just be excited once we have any official photo for him.

Now, about Heimdall and Sif, until they say specifically that they're not, I don't see any reason why we can't believe they couldn't be...like Barack Obama and his sister Maya.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #195
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

for two obvious reasons, the other being, with them differing so much, if they WERE, it most likely would have said so

Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #196
Ultra Ham
Side-Kick

At this point they can't really make them siblings. Unless they are step brothers and sisters or something.

That's my only really complaint with the casting of Idris Elba as Heimdall, it messes with the source material for no good reason.

Ultra Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #197
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I guess I just don't see your point of view. The actors are only 12 years apart and plenty of families, at least here, have mixed races both as step-siblings and half-siblings. Again as an example, I point to the US President who is accepted as Black or Biracial while his sister Maya is Asian and considerably lighter.

I love Idris' portrayal and the casting in the first film makes me very excited for the second in that regard. I know Chris Eccleston will be awesome because I've loved all his previous roles.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #198
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Yeah, that does sound creepy.
Yeah he does it quite a bit in the comics, it's used for quick transportation mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
I guess I just don't see your point of view. The actors are only 12 years apart and plenty of families, at least here, have mixed races both as step-siblings and half-siblings. Again as an example, I point to the US President who is accepted as Black or Biracial while his sister Maya is Asian and considerably lighter.

I love Idris' portrayal and the casting in the first film makes me very excited for the second in that regard. I know Chris Eccleston will be awesome because I've loved all his previous roles.
Well I'm pretty sure Idris Elba is far too dark to ever be considered "mixed", so that's out of the window.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #199
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah he does it quite a bit in the comics, it's used for quick transportation mostly.

Well I'm pretty sure Idris Elba is far too dark to ever be considered "mixed", so that's out of the window.
On the other hand, they are Asgardians, not humans. So if the marvel guys want to make them siblings in the movie, they could come up with whatever explanation they want.

Take a look at the Olympians. Zeus and Hera are brother and sister. But none of their children seems to have mental problems (maybe with the exception of Ares )

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #200
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
On the other hand, they are Asgardians, not humans. So if the marvel guys want to make them siblings in the movie, they could come up with whatever explanation they want.

Take a look at the Olympians. Zeus and Hera are brother and sister. But none of their children seems to have mental problems (maybe with the exception of Ares )
Exactly....they're Asgardians. It's still just as laughable to assign ethnicity to gods as it was when Idris Elba was originally cast. He's not a "token black" Asgardian; he's just an Asgardian who happens to have dark skin. It doesn't point towards any African ancestry at all because, well, he's from another planet or dimension entirely.

Marvel can make Heimdall the sibling of whoever they want.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote