The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite moment of self-sacrifice?
Iron Man flies nuke through the Chitauri portal 32 38.10%
Captain America crashes HYDRA plane in the Arctic 23 27.38%
Thor pleads with Loki to take his life--let Destroyer kill him--and spare Earth 24 28.57%
Banner free falls from helicopter to stop Abomination, unsure of whether he'll change into Hulk 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #51
PWN3R
SHUSH!

Default Re: Greatest moment of self-sacrifice in MCU Phase One

For me, it's definitely Steve. The way film handles his relationship with Peggy elevates that moment.

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #52
Adamantium
Your King

I agree the Captain America sacrifice was heart wrenching. However, I was thinking during The Avengers, that might suck even more because if Tony would've died Pepper would've seen that he tried to reach her to say goodbye. I guess that in itself could be closure but I think it would make for some guilt on her part, it could be labled as maybe selfish I guess, but she might feel even worse(if that were possible) because she didn't give Tony that one last dying wish to tell her goodbye.

I know it's not associated but I was kinda disappointed that Bruce Wayne didn't die. I felt robbed by the sacrifice at the end of the movie. Meaning, I felt like "dang, Batman died". And then to see him at the end I was sort of relieved but had mixed emotions. Maybe because I felt since he was still alive, do more movies. Oh well.

Last edited by Adamantium; 08-19-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #53
TheGuy
Side-Kick

This is a tough call. Cap and Tony's sacrifice were the best. But Cap's stood out for me, because he lost Peggy in the process.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #54
Marvel
Side-Kick

I voted Cap but a shout out to Yinsen in Iron Man. Charging the terrorists to buy Tony more time and paying with his life.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #55
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
I voted Cap but a shout out to Yinsen in Iron Man. Charging the terrorists to buy Tony more time and paying with his life.
Yinsen's sacrifice pisses me off because he was shooting into the air like a goofball. If he had actually put those bullets to good use he might still be alive. It was slightly more suicide than sacrifice.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #56
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Yinsen's sacrifice pisses me off because he was shooting into the air like a goofball. If he had actually put those bullets to good use he might still be alive. It was slightly more suicide than sacrifice.
Haha I thought that exact same thing as well!

If it was in the vote, I'd vote for Thor destroying the bridge.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #57
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I wonder if we will continue to see the same level of sacrifice in future movies. Being that Cap and Thor were so quick to sacrifice themselves I say its a no brainer. They will continue to put others lives before their own in future movies.

Iron Man as well, he has grown to a point of heroism that his supporting cast didnt expect from him. I'd say we can look forward to another sacrificial moment in IM3.

In a teamup like GotG where we haven't been introduced to any of the characters it might be a bit more of a stretch. And even though most of the team is widely regarded as scumbags I know we can count on them sacrificing their lives for one another or for the safety of the galaxy. They are pretty awesome.

Who knows what we will see in Ant-Man. But I do think the general goal is to depict these characters as heroes in this manner.