The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #276
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
So be it if it's the first time you heard someone say it; I've always thought the death itself felt anti-climatic. I enjoyed everything about Two-Face but the tackle that results in his death was 'meh'.
Perhaps you have a problem with the execution. But in premise, it's a perfectly set up death. Perhaps Nolan's penchant for rapid cuts undercut (hah!) the ensuing drama for you.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #277
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

But there was a load of build up? How is that anti climactic? That's the complete opposite actually.

They spent a considerable amount of time building up his death with Batman and Gordon confronting him as to why he was doing this and Two Face goes on to explain his reason beautifully regardless of the morality of it. The static shot on the coin landing on the non charred side. After the tackle we get another lengthy discussion between Gordon and Batman relishing on Harvey's death.

I understand that's your opinion Anno but that just doesn't fit under anticlimactic at all.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #278
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It's how a lot of people feels about Bane, though. Great character in the film, awful death. Same feeling I have with Dent.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #279
Travesty
TEOL

But Harvey's death is MUCH different than that of Bane's. Harvey/Two-Face's death was felt throughout this series. His death actually had an impact. Bane's on the other hand, was so brief that you could miss it if you blinked. And not only that, but there was never anything brought up about it afterwords. He was built up to be this big monster who is Batman's most physical adversary, and in the end, he was taken out by Catwoman, and not even a word was mentioned of it the second he was dead. There was no payoff to his demise, which was something the entire movie was building towards. If you spend too much time on a buildup, and give no real payoff, the balance ends up being skewed.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #280
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Dent's death had poignant ramifications and implications which automatically renders it not-awful. Bane's death, as someone on the previous page so very well put it, was just there so Anne Hathaway could be given a stupid one liner. After that Bane is gone, vanished, no one brings him up again.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #281
JackWhite
Third Man

Had Selina had a few more scenes with Bane, his death would have gelled better with me. I understood she had to save Batman as he did with her on the rooftop earlier on in the film. But Bane just kind of dies. The death itself isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, but when you put it up against the awesome sendoffs of Ra's, the Joker and Two-Face's - that's when you ask yourself which one doesn't belong?

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #282
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

What does everyone think of the idea of Batman being the one to consciously aid Bane take his last smelly breath? To end his days? Now I know what you are thinking, this totally veers from the Bruce of the funny pages, but so does him retiring to Europe with Selina Kyle. This franchise has already taken that step to make this Wayne a different beast to the comic books. And besides, it would be, perhaps, a natural evolution and conclusion to the thematic thread of his one rule throughout the trilogy. Him killing, though not faithful to the source, at least makes a substantial advancement to his character, instead of relegating it to a silly abstraction for Catwoman and Batman to bounce one liners to and fro.

Last edited by Tacit Ronin; 09-08-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #283
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
What does everyone think of the idea of Batman being the one to consciously aid Bane take his last smelly breath? To end his days? Now I know what you are thinking, this totally veers from the Bruce of the funny pages, but so does him retiring to Europe with Selina Kyle. This franchise has already taken that step to make this Wayne a different beast to the comic books. And besides, it would be, perhaps, a natural evolution and conclusion to the thematic thread of his one rule throughout the trilogy. Him killing, though not faithful to the source, at least makes a sufficient advancement to his character, instead of relegating it to a silly abstraction for Catwoman and Batman to bounce one liners to and fro.
No. I'll take Catwoman offing him any day, than to have Batman murder him in cold blood.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #284
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
impactful
Damn.

"Impact" is a noun. In the last ten years, there has been a conspiracy to turn it into a verb as in "the price cut impacted on profits". Now you are trying to make it an adjective?

Just consider for a moment what you are doing, sir.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #285
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
But there was a load of build up? How is that anti climactic? That's the complete opposite actually.

They spent a considerable amount of time building up his death with Batman and Gordon confronting him as to why he was doing this and Two Face goes on to explain his reason beautifully regardless of the morality of it. The static shot on the coin landing on the non charred side. After the tackle we get another lengthy discussion between Gordon and Batman relishing on Harvey's death.

I understand that's your opinion Anno but that just doesn't fit under anticlimactic at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
But Harvey's death is MUCH different than that of Bane's. Harvey/Two-Face's death was felt throughout this series. His death actually had an impact. Bane's on the other hand, was so brief that you could miss it if you blinked. And not only that, but there was never anything brought up about it afterwords. He was built up to be this big monster who is Batman's most physical adversary, and in the end, he was taken out by Catwoman, and not even a word was mentioned of it the second he was dead. There was no payoff to his demise, which was something the entire movie was building towards. If you spend too much time on a buildup, and give no real payoff, the balance ends up being skewed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Dent's death had poignant ramifications and implications which automatically renders it not-awful. Bane's death, as someone on the previous page so very well put it, was just there so Anne Hathaway could be given a stupid one liner. After that Bane is gone, vanished, no one brings him up again.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Damn.

"Impact" is a noun. In the last ten years, there has been a conspiracy to turn it into a verb as in "the price cut impacted on profits". Now you are trying to make it an adjective?

Just consider for a moment what you are doing, sir.

Sorry!

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #286
hulk24
Side-Kick

completely agree with this review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=A4Tqg7BFPF8

hulk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #287
the_scream
Side-Kick

Bane's death was an anti climax. That's how it was supposed to play out. Theres nothing inherently wrong with an anti climax. People say it like it is just not allowed or something. We didn't need another drawn out fight or contrived death scene.

the_scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #288
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Glad to see there are others who felt Bane's demise was rather anti-climatic, and poorly handled and executed, imo.

Van Petrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #289
WorthyStevens
Green Man

I really don't see how his death was anti-climatic. Bane had already been 'defeated' by Batman, so his manner of death was neither here nor there. His story was finished when Talia took the reigns.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #290
Fudgie
Banned User

Just because he got beaten in a fight doesn't mean he gets taken out for good like an insignificant fly being swatted away.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #291
WorthyStevens
Green Man

How else would you have him die?

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #292
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthyStevens View Post
How else would you have him die?

I was hoping for him to take himself out, because he couldn't handle being bested by Batman. But I always felt Catwoman was going to be the one to end Bane.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #293
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Off the top of my head, Batman and Bane fight up the steps of City Hall. Batman damages Bane’s mask causing it to malfunction, the anaesthetic to escape and his constant excruciating pain to be felt and realised. During their exchange before the turn of Tatelia, Bane acknowledges Batman is the better man and asks him to finish him off. Batman declines reciting the line “You’re punishment must be more severe...”, leaving him to his ultimate demise. Not only would this give a nod back to their earlier exchange, but it would also reference the exchange in Knightfall where Bane asked Jean-Paul Valley to ultimately end him when he had been defeated, but he declined as a showing of how he eventually passed on that personal demon (albeit temporarily).

This is just one way it could have been handled. It would’ve come of as more meaningful with more of a payoff, imo.

I’d also have liked if they’d had mentioned something along the lines of that ‘tragic brotherhood’ speech that was being bandied around a while back that turned out to be fake. Would have given real credence and acknowledgement in a weird sort of way that they are almost the same person, who each were born and surrounded by greatly contrasting circumstances and surroundings, followed different paths and ultimately aspired to different goals and morals (possibly as a result of the paths they faced and took).

Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #294
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Off the top of my head, Batman and Bane fight up the steps of City Hall. Batman damages Bane’s mask causing it to malfunction, the anaesthetic to escape and his constant excruciating pain to be felt and realised. During their exchange before the turn of Tatelia, Bane acknowledges Batman is the better man and asks him to finish him off. Batman declines reciting the line “You’re punishment must be more severe...”, leaving him to his ultimate demise. Not only would this give a nod back to their earlier exchange, but it would also reference the exchange in Knightfall where Bane asked Jean-Paul Valley to ultimately end him when he had been defeated, but he declined as a showing of how he eventually passed on that personal demon (albeit temporarily).

This is just one way it could have been handled. It would’ve come of as more meaningful with more of a payoff, imo.

I’d also have liked if they’d had mentioned something along the lines of that ‘tragic brotherhood’ speech that was being bandied around a while back that turned out to be fake. Would have given real credence and acknowledgement in a weird sort of way that they are almost the same person, who each were born and surrounded by greatly contrasting circumstances and surroundings, followed different paths and ultimately aspired to different goals and morals (possibly as a result of the paths they faced and took).
That would work too.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #295
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Going on from what I said, the exchange could also act as Bane's final taunt to Batman to as Ra's and the Joker did in the previous films to see if he would break his one rule.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #296
ashleytdkr
Newbie First Class

Catwoman showed through out the whole film she was scared of him, so it was no way believable for her to start a fight with Bane head on. And the question you have to ask yourselfs (And this is what Chris was aiming for).. What would you have done if you was Catwoman? Get off the bike and run at the man your clearly scared off, whos about to shoot Batman in the face, and who is 5x your size? Somehow i don't think so. Its just seems to me something Catwoman would do.

ashleytdkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #297
Frodo
Side-Kick

I don't think anyone questions whether Catwoman would kill Bane. I'm pretty sure we'd all agree she was acting in character . I think the issue seems to be whether Bane should have been taken out by Catwoman , and/or how Bane died, or if he should have died .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #298
the_scream
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Glad to see there are others who felt Bane's demise was rather anti-climatic, and poorly handled and executed, imo.
It was anti climatic but that doesn't mean it was poorly handled. We'd already had the big fight scenes. Seeing Bane blown away so unexpectedly was more shocking and gave Catwoman a chance to redeem herself by saving Batman. I thought it was handled just right. The villains death doesn't need to be as momentous people are saying. That's cliched.

the_scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #299
The Guard
Side-Kick

And why have an interesting cliche when you can have an uninteresting one?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #300
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
And why have an interesting cliche when you can have an uninteresting one?
Exactly.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote